Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’ve been building a collection of older games and I’m on the hunt for the best most fun pick up and play multiplayer games of the older generations - PS3ish and earlier. Arcadey games to the front but deep but fun games are great too. 2 player games form the core but also looking for up to 4 player games.

Here’s a list of sample games to give you a feel: Beach Spikers on gamecube
Crazy Taxi
Fzero GX
NBA Street
NFL Blitz
NHL Hitz
Super Monkey Ball(s)
Warioware
WWE games - here comes the pain, smack down vs raw, day of reckonings, etc
Super Mario Strikers series
Power Stone(s)
Virtua Tennis series
Mario tennis
Mario party(s)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy, etc. MK Shaolin Monks
SSX
Bomberman(s)
Smash bro(s)

What are the games you spent hours playing while drinking beers on a weekend night that hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
N64 was the king of this imo. Blitz, Diddy Kong (for my money even more fun than mario kart), Battletanx, all the FPSs, etc. I was a PSX kid and even I knew the N64 topped it for group gaming handily

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was the perfect level of accessible for my friends who didn't play fighting games.
I know you've already got Warioware on the list but I want to shout out Warioware Smooth Moves for the Wii in particular as being a fantastic local multiplayer game.
The N64 having four controller ports meant that it did have a number of good MP options - stuff that jumps out to me immediately are Beetle Adventure Racing and Snowboard Kids or Snowboard Kids 2.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Enderzero posted:

I’ve been building a collection of older games and I’m on the hunt for the best most fun pick up and play multiplayer games of the older generations - PS3ish and earlier. Arcadey games to the front but deep but fun games are great too. 2 player games form the core but also looking for up to 4 player games.

Here’s a list of sample games to give you a feel: Beach Spikers on gamecube
Crazy Taxi
Fzero GX
NBA Street
NFL Blitz
NHL Hitz
Super Monkey Ball(s)
Warioware
WWE games - here comes the pain, smack down vs raw, day of reckonings, etc
Super Mario Strikers series
Power Stone(s)
Virtua Tennis series
Mario tennis
Mario party(s)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy, etc. MK Shaolin Monks
SSX
Bomberman(s)
Smash bro(s)

What are the games you spent hours playing while drinking beers on a weekend night that hold up?

Crazy Taxi was multiplayer?
My childhood/teen list is quite similar to yours, minus the sports games and with the addition of Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2
Also you are missing Mario Kart, Perfect Dark (better than Goldeneye) and of course, Halo 1 and 2. Maybe 3 also but IDK if you count Xbox360 as part of your cutoff point.

Oh and I mean the whole holy trinity of multiplayer arcade machines; TMNT, X-Men, Simpsons, and Dungeons and Dragons Shadows Over Mystara.
Yes, that's four games. The Madonna or something IDK don't tell me what to do.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pretty sure we clocked in thousands of hours in 4-player Perfect Dark and I have no regrets

All mines + 8 MeatSims + 4 Players

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Chu Chu Rocket on Dreamcast / Gameboy Advance is an excellent 4 player game. I'm surprised Sega hasn't tried to revive it more recently.

I think Pac Man Vs is notable, just doesn't have a lot of longevity as it's a very simple sort of party game. I've only played the Gamecube version, but I know there's a DS and Switch port of it.

Nintendo Land takes the basic idea of Pac Man Vs and runs with it in a few of its party games, but there's a very basic appeal to Pac-Man even amongst people who don't normally play games.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh man you don't have to like sports games to appreciate nfl blitz. It's like the anti football

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Crazy Taxi was multiplayer?
My childhood/teen list is quite similar to yours, minus the sports games and with the addition of Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2
Also you are missing Mario Kart, Perfect Dark (better than Goldeneye) and of course, Halo 1 and 2. Maybe 3 also but IDK if you count Xbox360 as part of your cutoff point.

Oh and I mean the whole holy trinity of multiplayer arcade machines; TMNT, X-Men, Simpsons, and Dungeons and Dragons Shadows Over Mystara.
Yes, that's four games. The Madonna or something IDK don't tell me what to do.

I said I was aiming for feeeel so I included crazy taxi but you’re right. Call it pass and play haha.

Good call on Mario kart, I have that on modern systems so I didn’t think to include it but absolutely yes. And the multiplayer arcade games! Home run on those, easy to get into with simple controls.

general chaos posted:

Chu Chu Rocket on Dreamcast / Gameboy Advance is an excellent 4 player game. I'm surprised Sega hasn't tried to revive it more recently.

I think Pac Man Vs is notable, just doesn't have a lot of longevity as it's a very simple sort of party game. I've only played the Gamecube version, but I know there's a DS and Switch port of it.

Nintendo Land takes the basic idea of Pac Man Vs and runs with it in a few of its party games, but there's a very basic appeal to Pac-Man even amongst people who don't normally play games.

Oh poo poo chu chu rocket is a great callout! Thank you. Gonna check out Nintendo land as well - not a fan of Pac-Man though. To me bomberman was superior thanks to the power ups and easy multiplayer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh man you don't have to like sports games to appreciate nfl blitz. It's like the anti football

NFL blitz almost made the list purely on the strength of elbow dropping people after the play is over. I’ve always loved it

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Goldeneye 007
Guitar Hero
Rock Band
Starcraft
Age of Empires

to name a few

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Zoo Keeper and Dokapon Kingdom or Culdcept

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh, again it may be just past your cutoff point, but New Super Mario Bros Wii is a loving riot. Like I've never played that and not had it degenerate into a PVP game where everyone is trying to kill the other players.
Both in and out of the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have soft spots for Tetris Attack, Pieces, and Lemmings on the SNES. Any of the Bomberman games too.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I haven’t heard of several of those, looking into them!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I have soft spots for Tetris Attack, Pieces, and Lemmings on the SNES. Any of the Bomberman games too.

Oh poo poo, I seem to have overlooked puzzle games - especially ones where you screw each other over! Good call.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lemmings multiplayer absolutely ruled and my main sadness around it is that my younger brother didn't like the game so I didn't get to play it very often.

Also this reminds me that all the Puyo Puyo games (or Mean Bean Machine in my case) are excellent multiplayer

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Enderzero posted:

I haven’t heard of several of those, looking into them!

Oh poo poo, I seem to have overlooked puzzle games - especially ones where you screw each other over! Good call.

Oh snap, same.
Yeah, Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League/Panel de Pon owns.
Tetris proper is also a lot of fun.
Also Puyo Puyo/Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Dr. Mario is fun, but I never found its multiplayer quite as engrossing as the other mentioned games.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Blades of Steel is the greatest hockey game ever made and a superb choice for drunk/stoned tournaments

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I don't know if anyone still plays it, but Ricochet, the GldSrc game that was basically a halflife 1 mod was some hysterical fun. It's just the discwar game from Tron, but it in the right atmosphere, it was really fun. Also, Bomberman 64, and, of course, Unreal Tournament 2004 .

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mfcrocker posted:

Lemmings multiplayer absolutely ruled and my main sadness around it is that my younger brother didn't like the game so I didn't get to play it very often.

Of all the games my brothers and I played together, Lemmings broke out into the most fights.

But yeah, other than that it was hard to find people to play it.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Narzack posted:

I don't know if anyone still plays it, but Ricochet, the GldSrc game that was basically a halflife 1 mod was some hysterical fun. It's just the discwar game from Tron, but it in the right atmosphere, it was really fun. Also, Bomberman 64, and, of course, Unreal Tournament 2004 .

I find Bomberman 64’s multiplayer way more fun than the usual top down multiplayer.

There was a lot of different variety in the levels, especially with the move to 3D and having different heights and things to run around on. I loved grabbing bombs and tossing them below to hit others. Plus, a lot of the levels had really interesting timed hazards, like the temple flooding.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Oh yeah, Worms!
Armageddon was a big hit, not sure how many of the others were fun.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Blacula posted:

Oh yeah, Worms!

Armageddon is still awesome and has been patched even up to now

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

I find Bomberman 64’s multiplayer way more fun than the usual top down multiplayer.

There was a lot of different variety in the levels, especially with the move to 3D and having different heights and things to run around on. I loved grabbing bombs and tossing them below to hit others. Plus, a lot of the levels had really interesting timed hazards, like the temple flooding.

It was a really good party game. I remember being back in high school and hanging out at my buddies house, where we'd just camp in front of the tv and play videogames all night long. Of course, add Turok 2 and Rage Wars to that list. Lock-ins and the 30 hour famine were a great excuse to do nothing but mash buttons all weekend.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Blacula posted:

Oh yeah, Worms!

When I was young my Dad, myself and my Mum would gather around Dad's PC in his office to play Worms United.
One of the few games that got all three of us playing.
The other being our weekly You Don't Know Jack the Netshow nights from back when that was an episodic online game on beZerk.com, a website I have literally not thought about in decades until writing out this post.

Those are some of my best family gaming memories. :unsmith:

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

Armageddon is still awesome and has been patched even up to now

Thats really cool to hear, warms my heart with napalm.

Mode 7 posted:

When I was young my Dad, myself and my Mum would gather around Dad's PC in his office to play Worms United.
One of the few games that got all three of us playing.
The other being our weekly You Don't Know Jack the Netshow nights from back when that was an episodic online game on beZerk.com, a website I have literally not thought about in decades until writing out this post.

Those are some of my best family gaming memories. :unsmith:

I love that feeling of unlocking a forgotten, cherished memory. Reminds me of the time a childhood friend reminded me when I broke past my school's blocks to install Ultima Online so we could play after class.

But now I'm also reminded of multiplayer flash games on websites like Kongregate and OMGPop such as 'Draw My Thing' which became 'Draw Something'.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Perfect Dark Xbox port, Bushido Blade 1 & 2

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Dunno if this qualifies but I've had a lot of good times grinding Battletoads drinking beer on a saturday night with a friend. You'll not make it past level three in one night but every bit of progress is so satisfying.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Man with Hat posted:

Dunno if this qualifies but I've had a lot of good times grinding Battletoads drinking beer on a saturday night with a friend. You'll not make it past level three in one night but every bit of progress is so satisfying.

Back in the day, stage 3 was the hard limit for my brother. But I really wanted to play the rest of the game 2 player, despite beating it over and over alone. So I trained and was able to complete stage 3 operating both players. I performed this feat and got us to stage 4, where it all fell apart in record time as he died to falling off the screen, hitting each other with the ice blocks, you name it. Never tried again.

Last time I attempted controlling 2 players at once in stage 3, I was still able to do it. But that was 10 years ago. I prefer to tell myself I can still do it if I wanted to.

Anyway, I hope you are aware that there is a known problem with the game. It's impossible to do the Clinger Winger stage with 2 players, so if you make it that far, consider the game conquered...

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Back in the day, stage 3 was the hard limit for my brother. But I really wanted to play the rest of the game 2 player, despite beating it over and over alone. So I trained and was able to complete stage 3 operating both players. I performed this feat and got us to stage 4, where it all fell apart in record time as he died to falling off the screen, hitting each other with the ice blocks, you name it. Never tried again.

Last time I attempted controlling 2 players at once in stage 3, I was still able to do it. But that was 10 years ago. I prefer to tell myself I can still do it if I wanted to.

Anyway, I hope you are aware that there is a known problem with the game. It's impossible to do the Clinger Winger stage with 2 players, so if you make it that far, consider the game conquered...

Not in the EU version! There it works just fine to beat the entire game with 2 players. Clinger Winger is drat near impossible with 2 players anyway just on account of how the map is designed, but it's definitely possible. I do it yearly in January as a tradition with a friend, the day before we play through Turtles 2.

And another fun fact (which could have saved you a lot of time as a kid) is one player (your brother) can get a game over, then when you beat the level yourself he could just press Start between the levels and join in for the next one. That way you can also get past Clinger Winger in the real version

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Man with Hat posted:

Not in the EU version! There it works just fine to beat the entire game with 2 players. Clinger Winger is drat near impossible with 2 players anyway just on account of how the map is designed, but it's definitely possible. I do it yearly in January as a tradition with a friend, the day before we play through Turtles 2.

Ah nice, I didn't know that. And what an accomplishment to finish it with 2 players. That's a really cool tradition you guys have too. Do you find it getting more difficult each year?

Man with Hat posted:

And another fun fact (which could have saved you a lot of time as a kid) is one player (your brother) can get a game over, then when you beat the level yourself he could just press Start between the levels and join in for the next one. That way you can also get past Clinger Winger in the real version

!!!!!!
WHAT

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Late 90's-early 2000's Quake 1 on a server with the grappling hook mod. That alone completely transformed the game, and I haven't found any other experience like it since then.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
rainbow six 3 (xbox)
super monkey ball deluxe (ps2)
medal of honor: european assault
cel damage
NHL 2001
NASCAR Thunder 2004
madden 2004
Halo 1 + 2
counter-strike: source (lan party bitch)
crash bash (ps1)
burnout 3

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015
Bishi Bashi Special for PSX is a ridiculous, almost Wario Ware-Esque collection of small mini-games with an even more ridiculous visual presentation that is fantastic for multiplayer. Really easy to pick up and the surreal aspect of it all is certain to get laughs

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ah nice, I didn't know that. And what an accomplishment to finish it with 2 players. That's a really cool tradition you guys have too. Do you find it getting more difficult each year?

No, the game gets easier since I play it by myself now (wouldn't allow myself to do it before we beat it together but after it was fair game) and all of our family and friends know about this tradition and just accept we're not available one week a year lol.

We used this to be able to practice the later levels a lot before we got good enough to reliably beat some of the harder two player ones, lite the goddamned Inferno level and also Clinger Winger (it's very easy to mix up your Toads here and die, way way way easier in single player). Now we usually beat those in just a life or two!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

battletanx: global asssault
san francisco rush 2049

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm late to the party, but to answer the thread title without helping the OP: The absolute best multiplayer experience I've ever had was as a teenager when our math class teacher let us run wild in the (new and novel at the time!) computer class, and we, a class-full of teenage boys, just spent hours and hours playing Duke Nukem 3D and Half-life, all in the same room. No real-life fist-fights happened, either!

And then someone found out about Counter-strike :allears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

battletanx: global asssault

Game was tight. God I miss car combat games

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Sorry, but THE best two player game was Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo on the PS1. We used to play it during drunken weekend parties at a friend's place, and I derived more sheer joy from that game than I have from any other before or since.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Presto posted:

Sorry, but THE best two player game was Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo on the PS1. We used to play it during drunken weekend parties at a friend's place, and I derived more sheer joy from that game than I have from any other before or since.

My wife and I still play this on Xbox. Can confirm.

Big shout out to Duck Game though.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Good NES games that are better played with a second player:

Contra
River City Ransom
Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl

Also, Quake 1 is still the only FPS game I've played multiplayer deathmatch and had a good time (though I've never played Team Fortress 2; it looks like fun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Marshmallow Duel
Jones in the Fast Lane
Liquid War
Mario War
Gooch Grundy's X-Decathlon