Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

DREDGE
transitive verb
1 a : to dig, gather, or pull out with or as if with a dredge —often used with up
b : to deepen (as a waterway) with a dredging machine
2 a: to bring to light by deep searching —often used with up <dredging up memories>

Yar! I can read a dictionary says I! What kind of game is it?
Dredge is a Lovecraftian fantasy fishing exploration game combining sea horror with whimsy. A player will spend their time exploring a three dimensionally represented ocean environment with diverse settlements and island biomes. While exploring they may fish, perform quests or dredge the depths for treasure.

The day-night cycle is central to the game, as staying out at night will increase panic (similar to sanity in other games) and is generally more dangerous but different types of fish will be available at night. Time only passes when sailing or performing activities, so you can always stop and think about what you want to do while soaking up the atmosphere, similar to Disco Elysium.

Aye, tis a good concept, but what about execution?
Visuals and sound are beautiful. Creepy at night and by day it’s downright cozy. Music is evocative and refreshing. Character art is … crunchy… but charming.

Ok I’ll bite, What crew dredged this to the surface?
Black Salt Games is a four person studio from New Zealand. Along with two music/audio people, voice actors and a mess of play testers they put this little thing together.

No need to shanghai me, where can I climb aboard?
Dredge is available on Steam, GOG, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, and Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One for the low low price of $24.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been playing this on the Series X and it's a good time, although I feel like I don't really have a great idea of how to progress. I'm just fishing and slowly upgrading my fishing boat. Maybe I should be trying to dredge up more artifacts or something? Or start going out more at night, but it's scary.

My favourite little detail which don't look at if you're going to play the game, instead discover it by yourself.

Your ship has a fog horn which you can blow. At day you can just go ham on the thing and have a good time. Then I did it at night, playing the "shave and a haircut" melody. A few seconds later from out of the fog comes a mournful and out of tune ship's horn repeating the same melody. I made a VERY hasty retreat to port after that.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been playing this on the Series X and it's a good time, although I feel like I don't really have a great idea of how to progress. I'm just fishing and slowly upgrading my fishing boat. Maybe I should be trying to dredge up more artifacts or something? Or start going out more at night, but it's scary.

Yeah, there really isn't that much to progression. Returning artifacts progresses the story, and the ship upgrades help with getting to the artifacts in one piece (though you could probably beat the game without much in the way of upgrades).

Going out at night nets you interesting fish and becomes much less scary once you've returned some artifacts and made some engine upgrades.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Played this through to completion, neat little game

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Also played through and beat the game and enjoyed it a lot. Feels like it has room to expand on this idea for a sequel. The world, outside the beginner harbor and those loving angler fish boats, felt very safe? I rarely felt that spooked. I think its more dangerous if your panic is higher, but there's so many places to sleep and that travelling merchant is literally right next to any place with danger that it tends to be a non-issue.

Although, being out in the open ocean with max danger did lead to a pretty big surprise! Whoops!

Also played through both endings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Playing thru this still, I like it a lot. Despite the day/night cycle you can really play the game at your own pace pushing things a little bit further if you're up for it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Kinda just the perfect game for where I was at last week.

My wife’s Mom lives out in the middle of no where and we had to go help her start moving out. They packed things and reminisced while I took care of our son but once he took a nap or went to sleep I kicked back with the switch. Totally playable on the small screen in other words.

Very relaxing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

This is my current game and I'm liking it, but I'm just chugging around and fishing stuff, the eldritch stuff isn't really creepy and the only reason I'm not going hog wild at night is because my fish can get infested.

Not sure if I'm missing something or if the later areas are creepier.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Catch Without Arms is their best album hands down, but Leitmotif has Symbol Song and Lechium

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I kinda enjoyed this when I played it but I felt disappointed in terms of what I was doing at the end compared to the start. I think they should have pushed it much further towards the occult than they did.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Yeah the hallucinations at night are neat but not dangerous from I've seen.

One thing to note if you are a completionist: there are 4 quests spread out around the islands where you must bring specific fish to hooded figures. Some of these fish require rods from later in the game. If you do not bring them their fish within a hidden time limit, the figures die, and you are cut off from the rewards, which are permanent buffs. This may or not upset some types of people, such as myself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It’s gonna be a bit spoilers but the main issues I had were that by the end I was doing pretty much the same thing as the start, bringing fish to people. I wish I could have seen my character become immersed in the occult, and have additional sub-systems that tie in with the fisherman himself doing occult rituals. Some of the ideas I had were stuff like:

-Cutting open fish, putting specific things into them and throwing them back to summon Eldritch beings.
-dropping chum that creates lines of an occult symbol on the water
-Some kind of reverse dredge where you are dropping things into the water, and weird grippy stuff happens/you get attacked the closer you are to placing it down.
-Something suddenly snagging on your fishing lead in the midst of normal fishing, and you get dragged wildly off course.

Just didn’t feel like the allucinations/panic did enough to change to gameplay systems.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mylan posted:

Yeah the hallucinations at night are neat but not dangerous from I've seen.

One thing to note if you are a completionist: there are 4 quests spread out around the islands where you must bring specific fish to hooded figures. Some of these fish require rods from later in the game. If you do not bring them their fish within a hidden time limit, the figures die, and you are cut off from the rewards, which are permanent buffs. This may or not upset some types of people, such as myself.

It was very weird to find that out in a game where thus far there have been absolutely no signs of time limits being present.

Tekopo posted:

It’s gonna be a bit spoilers but the main issues I had were that words

Also the weird hosed up fish don't really have any story impact other than one guy going "huh!"

The delivery of packages to the town across from the start seemed to stop in the middle and go nowhere. I was wondering if I missed something somewhere to get him to do something more.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also every time I saw an infection occur I immediately threw away the fish since I thought bad stuff would happen if I brought it to town but no, it’s just less money. That’s kind of disappointing.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oh yeah the packages, that seemed to go nowhere

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mylan posted:

I found two of them but haven't really prioritized their quests over anything else. Still don't have the necessary rod to catch abyssal fish for one of them and don't know where to get the fish for the other. Is it the sort of thing where they'll die unless you beeline for them at the start or can you play at a normal pace and still complete their quests? Don't want to miss out on anything and I'll pay more attention to them if the time limit is relatively strict.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Man I wish this game was longer than the 12hrs I got outa it. Soo good maybe if the elder gods are kind well get dlc.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I found two of them but haven't really prioritized their quests over anything else. Still don't have the necessary rod to catch abyssal fish for one of them and don't know where to get the fish for the other. Is it the sort of thing where they'll die unless you beeline for them at the start or can you play at a normal pace and still complete their quests? Don't want to miss out on anything and I'll pay more attention to them if the time limit is relatively strict.

you can get like one or two days between getting the quest and them dying i think. it resets each time you give them a fish

also note that even if you "fail" them and the guys die it still counts as "completing" the quest for the achievement

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Yeah achievement description explicitly says "finish all quests ONE WAY OR ANOTHER"

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Dredging thread to ask for ending chat:

Read there's an alternative ending to Go to sea to reunite with lost love, summon Cthulhu, taking the collector with you (tried to savescum punching the mirror and it autosaved after)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Desdinova posted:

Dredging thread to ask for ending chat:

Read there's an alternative ending to Go to sea to reunite with lost love, summon Cthulhu, taking the collector with you (tried to savescum punching the mirror and it autosaved after)
Yeah, getting the other ending requires you to talk to the lighthouse attendant.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You have to also find the old mayor first, before you can talk to the lighthouse attendant. He’s at any of the abandoned campsites you can find.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I picked this up last night and I'm really enjoying it. It scratches that Sunless Seas itch that Sunless Skies missed. I love how creepy everything out in the fog is at night. I'm less fond of that giant rear end in a top hat sea serpent that keeps loving up my lamps! gently caress you too, giant rear end in a top hat fish!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I really liked this game but it was too easy? Maybe that’s why I liked it because it was pretty chill.

Agreed on earlier points about infected fish and not enough eldritch stuff.

I was impressed I managed to find the alternate ending on my first run just by wandering around. I think all my Hooded Figures died of hunger because I had no idea there was a time limit.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Ugh yeah, I screwed up the first hooded guy I came across, which was probably the easiest one to fulfill, and then flubbed the second cause I couldn't find a freaking sail fish in time. Managed to get the yellow guy tho.

This game is great and has been excellent on the Switch, haven't noticed any performance issues and I love the art style and overall vibe. I think the only part of the game I've found challenging so far has been the gale cliffs, but it wasn't too bad after a hull upgrade or two. I think my biggest complaint is some of the UI feels a bit clunky and my brain refuses to remember which one is the dry dock and which is the shipwright at the trader.

I do wish the game managed to maintain the creepiness factor a bit more but it's actually chill enough that my wife wants to play it, so maybe that's a good thing !

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I started playing Dredge last night for a couple of hours and I'm enjoying it so far, but do any of you have any tips on how to make money consistently? (Especially early game) Like are there certain types of fish (shallow or coastal) that are worth more than the others?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rabbit Hill posted:

I started playing Dredge last night for a couple of hours and I'm enjoying it so far, but do any of you have any tips on how to make money consistently? (Especially early game) Like are there certain types of fish (shallow or coastal) that are worth more than the others?

Trawling constantly while you're working on other things is a good way to generate income passively, I ignored it for too long until I was towards the end and started having to use it for catching specific fish. When you start working on quests in a new area it's also useful to throw a bunch of crab pots down right outside the merchant dock and sell everything in them every few days.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Rabbit Hill posted:

I remember Oceanic fish being worth a lot more generally and I think that's the third rod you get

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Trawling constantly while you're working on other things is a good way to generate income passively, I ignored it for too long until I was towards the end and started having to use it for catching specific fish. When you start working on quests in a new area it's also useful to throw a bunch of crab pots down right outside the merchant dock and sell everything in them every few days.

An important thing about trawling I didn’t realize is you can use other tools after you put the net down, it’s like the light on your boat. You don’t need to keep it selected

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rabbit Hill posted:

Buy a shitload of crab pots. Regularly upgrade them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finished the game, didn't do all the side stuff but really enjoyed it. I never even got the tier 4 hull upgrade.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like how restrained this game is. The pacing is slow and some of the horror is almost prosaic, like the game gets a lot of mileage out of the fact that the ocean is scary as-is. Fish are already weird, and then you've got the massive emptiness on the water and under it, the way you can see the seabed drop out of sight as you go further out, and the (literally) unsettling way the little boat heaves during a storm. I've found plenty of hosed poo poo, but I haven't seen actual Cthulhu and I appreciate that. The ocean is full of big tentacle monsters, so giving one of them a humanoid shape and coherent goals would just suck.

gently caress a Cthulhu, you know what's weird? The sunflower sea star. A meter wide, 20ish arms, a lighting fast predator for something that eats snails and sessile prey, and if I wanted I could hop into my car and see one irl. It lives in tide pools.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree I really enjoyed the pacing of the game. It could get spooky at night but you didn't have to spend that much time fishing at night if you didn't want too so it was kind of up to the player how intense they wanted the game to be. Just over all a really enjoyable intriguing world.

The developers shared a roadmap including an upcoming paid DLC.

quote:

Introducing the DREDGE roadmap

Throughout 2023 you can expect several free updates, along with some paid DLC:

New game modes
Boat customisation
Photo mode
Ironhaven paid DLC

Want to know more? Well, our very own Nadia Thorne recently sat down with PlayStation, to discuss what's next for our sinister fishing adventure. Check out what was discussed below:

Map Changes
"One of the features requested by so many of you is extended functionality for the in-game map, and we’re excited to introduce this with our first free update in May. The addition of map markers will allow you to select from different coloured icons representing everything from dangers, shipwrecks, mysteries, and more, enabling more effective navigation between locations than before. Additionally, this update will include some fixes and balance changes."

New Game Modes
"In our second update, two new modes will introduce very different ways to experience Dredge. The first is Passive Mode, which caters to players who prefer a less intense experience. Monsters that usually attack fishing boats will no longer be aggressive, allowing players to focus on fishing and enjoying the serene surroundings.

This update’s second mode is another much requested feature: Photo mode. But rather than just add the ability with a simple menu option, we’re taking a different approach. When it launches, our photo mode will see the addition of a new in-game character who’ll help players unlock their camera ability and share clues on where to find some of the local marine wildlife as subjects for your photography, some of which will be brand new in this update."

Boat Customisation
"Our third free update will introduce boat customisations such as paint schemes and flags. As you explore the coastlines and bayous of Dredge, you’ll unlock new boat paint schemes and flags to make your fishing vessel really stand out. We’ll have more information on both updates two and three later in the year."

Ironhaven DLC
"Finally, we will be developing a paid and entirely optional DLC featuring the mysterious Ironhaven Corporation. They’re looking to establish an innovative drilling operation in the area to revitalize the towns and populations, but their ultimate goal is unknown. As you gather materials to construct new buildings and biomatter to fuel the rig, meet new characters, craft new equipment, and catch new fish, you may uncover the truth behind their potentially nefarious operations."

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

nice first larger patch. Guess too many people were unhappy with the timed quest..

quote:

Patch Notes:
Features

Added advanced map functionality.
The map can now be zoomed and scrolled.
6 different types of markers can now be added to the map.
A total of 50 markers can be added to the map.
Markers can be viewed through the Spyglass.

Adjustments

Removed timers on timed quests (Hooded Figures, Castaway)
The book rewards for the Hooded Figures’ quests have been retroactively awarded to players who already exceeded these timers.
The Travelling Merchant now always stocks 1x Research Part every day, with a 50% chance of stocking 2x.
All basic material spots (Lumber, Scrap and Cloth) now restock over time.
Doubled the chance of finding an aberration of trawl-only species (Aurora Jellyfish, Anchovy)
From now on, shops will retain unique equipment sold to them, allowing them to be bought back if you change your mind.
Made it harder to accidentally discard important items
Items such as equipment and quest items now take longer to discard and flash the prompt as the button is held.
Rot is now faster to discard.
Moved 3 Loosejaw spawns in Stellar Basin to make them easier to locate.
The description of a few quest items now update to let you know they can be discarded when they are no longer needed.
The Research button now highlights itself to draw attention in some situations:
After players have been given their first research part.
After the Researcher tells players to upgrade a certain piece of equipment in Stellar Basin.
When using a controller, the icons that prompt you to switch sides (L3/R3) now flash until they’ve been used at least once.
Removed a destructible wall in Gale Cliffs.
Increased the visibility of glowing quest item VFX.
Items from the Blackstone Key DLC can now be sold for a tiny amount of money.
The height of the spyglass has been raised slightly.
It should be slightly easier to locate and focus on fishing spots.

Fixes

Fixed a rare issue where save files could become corrupted, which also prevented new save files from being created.
If you load the game with any save files that have already been corrupted, the game will remove these files and allow you to create a new save.
Players still experiencing issues with the game not loading should delete their settings file.
Fixed a rare issue where some equipment could go missing when upgrading to a larger hull.
Added a fallback system to hold excess items in extreme cases.
Missing dredge cranes have been restored to players affected by this bug.
Fixed an issue where the Prey Sighted and Servant of the Shrines achievements would not unlock correctly.
Fixed a typo where the Researcher was asking for a “Stoplight” Loosejaw.
Fixed an issue where more than 5 trinkets could not be sold at a time to the Trader when playing in Russian.
Fixed a few localization issues.
Added 4 missing Playtester credits

Additionally, we’ve added a speculative fix for players who suddenly find themselves unable to use their abilities. If you’re experiencing this issue, please reach out to Team17 customer support and send us your save file so we can better identify the issue.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BlackSaltGames/status/1709949331128942696

DLC drops tomorrow

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if you can play the DLC from an existing save. I really enjoyed this game but not sure I want to start a new game again just to get to the new content.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Confirming you can pick it up from an existing save. It’s good but really short though, not sure if it’s worth $6

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Confirming you can pick it up from an existing save. It’s good but really short though, not sure if it’s worth $6

Yeah I saw that, looks like it's just another zone which is neat but I'm not sure I'm up for that a the moment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I grabbed this because Pushinguproses did a video about it, and due to that every time I pick up a mutant fish i hear "look at this weird fish" in that matter of fact way she uses.

But drat, this is a great little game. It has something I find rare, the fishing mini games are actually easy to do, they require timing and paying attention but they're not overly complex and inscrutable like you find in some games.

But yea, i wish the weird poo poo going down was a bit more fleshed out. I figured the packages would go somewhere, that there was some kind of squishy thing behind it all. Like when the fishmonger goes "hey i hear if you eat a mutant fish you go mad, well, lets try" and then he just is unavailable for a day and then comes back as if nothing happened. He should come back with a fishy look to him or something.

I'd still say its my second favorite game of the year i played after BG3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Looks like it's getting a crossover with Dave the Diver (another game I enjoyed)