Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Everspace 2 is the newly released sequel to EverSpace by german based development studio RockFish Games.

You play as Adam, a clone pilot from the first game, setting out to explore a multitude of star systems and wrecks in the demilitarized zone of Cluster 34. Spending your time shooting, looting, mining, trading, and doing diplomacy from the seat of your one person spaceship with a space dogfighting combat style. There are also RPG elements at play involving upgrading your character and your ships abilities, and many different weapons and equipment to find and use.
This brings back fond memories of my days playing Freelancer!

There are multiple ship types to choose from light scout fighters to larger heavy gunships to play with. Each ship has a unique passive and ultimate ability and different numbers of weapon and equipment slots.
Ships also have different tiers, and as they go up in tier they will gain more shields, armor, hull, and speed.

Light

Scout - Light yet premium framework of the Scout-class fighter optimizes concealment and mobility technologies. Weapon modifications grant enhanced range, reconstructed from outdated reconnaissance sensors.
This is a sneaky ship designed for a long range sniping style of play.

Passive - Ranger: Deals 4% increased damage per 100m distance to target.
Ultimate - Shadow Strike: Renders the ship invisible to enemies and gradually increases weapon damage up to 300%. Resets 1s after a shot was fired. Firing weapons will also draw attention and let enemies briefly target the ship.

Vanguard - With advanced maneuverability systems, the Vanguard-class fighter enhances shields through impressive acceleration. Weapons are attuned to thrust particulate, increasing critical hit chance when targeting engines.
If you like speed, this is the ship for you. It goes fast in any direction and is perfect for getting behind enemy ships to hit them from behind.

Passive - Overcharge: Flying above normal speed overcharges the shield up to 200% capacity which then slowly deflates back to 100%.
Ultimate - Time Extender: Bend the spacetime continuum to dilate the flow of time around the ship.

Stinger - Deceptive and disruptive, the Stinger-class fighter bypasses standard safety protocols to overlevel devices, which simultaneously power a third hardpoint for a short duration. Light mass makes for high mobility.
This is a ship for those who like to use lots of items to buff themselves in fights. When firing a weapon in most ships it will fire from two guns on your ship, this ship adds a third whenever you activate a device.

Passive - Device Master: Gain +1 to all device levels. Also, using a device powers an additional primary hardpoint for 5s.
Ultimate - Void Swarm: Instantly resets all device cooldowns and releases a huge swarm of aggressive micro-bots that will consume everything in their way, prioritizing the locked target. Upon return, they will restore hull and armor based on the total damage dealt.

Screenshots!
Courtesy of Psion:

(I really love this one)

EverSpace was a different style of game to Everspace 2; you still played as Adam however it was a roguelike experience in which you tried to push forward as much as possible to learn the story, and whenever you died you would start over again as a new clone of Adam. It was still a space dogfighting game but with a much tighter pressure to keep moving on with tight resources.

[Apologies for this OP being very barebones right now, I’ll update more soon]

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
Nice, I'd been looking for a thread for this. I've enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Flying a vindicator ship (I think that's what it's called, the one with the drones) and staying slightly overleveled for stuff has kept the challenge fairly low outside of the contract things you can do, which I prefer. Easy to make it a lot harder on yourself by skipping a lot of the random side stuff that pops up while traveling around.

I'm at a class 3+ ship now, I want to get to class 4 then start buying other ship types and experimenting. Just haven't so far because the vindicator has been so good, the drones do a great job keeping enemies distracted.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm about 20 hours in and game owns bones.
Just floating around areas trying to find all the hidden stuff for that little tick on the map is very relaxing. It's gonna take me ages to complete because of it though.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I have to confess I haven't played nearly as much as I'd like to but this is so good, I'm definitely going to invest a lot of time as soon as I can.

BennyGsGhost posted:

Just haven't so far because the vindicator has been so good, the drones do a great job keeping enemies distracted.
That sounds rad, I absolutely love drone/carrier play in space games. The most fun I had in recent memory when I played Elite Dangerous a few years back was having a Federal Gunship with as many guns as possible for :blaster: and an AI pilot fighter supporting me.

Also if anyone has any cool screenshots I'll put them in the OP :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Enjoying Everspace 2 during the combat parts, and exploration, but the storyline campaign really needed to be better paced. All of the moments with flying around in caves and trying to find objects are really unfun and just feel like they are padding out the length. It's cool and encouraged to add in parts that let the player relax, but this wasn't a good activity in between the shooting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does this play with a controller? Am I going to need to dig my HOTAS out?

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Subjunctive posted:

You can play with a controller but the devs recommend a mouse & keyboard, it's what I use too.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I play with a controller, it's good. Definitely recommend either remapping the Boost button from LS or using a controller that has back-paddles for it though

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

RoboJoe posted:

You can play with a controller but the devs recommend a mouse & keyboard, it's what I use too.

Isn't the game coming to consoles in a few months? Surely they plan on addressing that?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I also found it very controllable with mouse and keyboard, there are several modes letting you decide the particular style of control (direct input, simulated joystick, following cursor) and there's just enough lock-on/aim assist to make aiming not fiddly.

Also, I can't help but giggle at the world's most generic milquetoast protagonist guy. He's not terrible or anything, but it's just such "babby's first videogame protagonist" energy :allears:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How is ship combat compared to everspace 1? I remember playing a bit of the first one and it worked like a space based cover shooter where I was ducking behind asteroids a lot in the early game which I didn't enjoy at all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ES1 actively wanted you dead for the rogueliteness, I don't think that's the case here at all until maybe you're into endgame rift farming or something (not permanent there either)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i've been playing the heck out of this and it's great. the physics are more descent than wing commander which is a bit strange for the genre but it works. the story and cutscenes are surprisingly good, but the animatic style does make them feel a bit like sketched prototypes.

my only major complaints are that the music is trash and the puzzles are repetitive, but you can mute the soundtrack and there's plenty to do other than puzzles anyway. a solid entry in the criminally underserved "freelancer-esque" genre

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've enjoyed all the puzzles personally but definitely agree on the music.
I've been slapping on the cyberpunk soundtrack or random 'space' ones on spotify and it makes for a much more enjoyable atmosphere.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Game is really good but agreed on the music. It feels too upbeat?

I'm playing on hard and well I've died a good few times (mainly boss fights when I'm stuck on low armour) it doesn't feel unfair, a nice challenge.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
early on I hid behind a lot of rocks but I didn't know how to build a ship (and didn't have a lot of options, etc) but you will unlock a lot of things fairly quickly which mean hiding isn't at all required pretty fast. Using a mobility option to disengage for a minute, reposition, and go back at it - sure, but I haven't had to hide behind rocks in a while.

The only enemies I've found to be wholly obnoxious are in the fifth system and that's more a matter of them obscuring my vision and causing shake and generally being annoying to hit, not because they're doing huge damage to me. Doing high-risk contracts where you get swarmed by way too many of them is actively unpleasant, though I still powered through successfully and haven't died in the system yet so ... I hate them, but they aren't stopping me, if that makes sense?

Otherwise I've been enjoying this since early access and am pretty pleased with how they've clearly upped their game for 1.0. I do think it's best for a new player to not exhaustively complete all side content in Ceto immediately; you unlock a lot of useful perks as you progress. Do the first, I dunno, seven plot quests pretty quickly if you feel leveled up enough, you unlock some good perks.

Subjunctive posted:

It plays fine. That's what I've been using most of the time, though I switch back and forth for precision aim tasks. You'll lose out on a few valuable keybinds like target nearest enemy, but nothing essential and there's autoaim to help you out which defaults to 50% and probably should be higher. Just raise that in the options if you find controller aim to be too punishing. The upside is you can do a lot of sweet 6DOF maneuvers super easily. I switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing, but it's mostly controller.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 18, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RoboJoe posted:

Also if anyone has any cool screenshots I'll put them in the OP :3:

F10 will take a 4k screenshot but they get hidden in a really silly place, c:\users\username\AppData\Local\ES2\Saved\Screenshots\WindowsNoEditor\ - this works regularly and in the ingame photo mode.

I can't pass up the opportunity to inflict my hot pink thruster colors on a thread, though, sooo here's some I've taken, feel free to use whichever. https://imgur.com/a/aOWxeRm

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I definitely did ~everything~ in the Ceto system before moving on and entered the 2nd system at lvl 12. I feel like I should just move the story forward enough to unlock the other characters you can invest resources into for upgrades before looking for all the hidden chests. I did a lot of the missions off the job board but those get pretty stale, does it ever feel necessary to grind those out to level or can those be mostly ignored? I can see how some of the little environmental puzzles could get old, but they've been varied enough so far that I haven't gotten tired of them yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

No, job boards are just one of many ways to get xp. There's a sidequest chain which asks you to run several job board things but you get a legendary at the end of it, at least. Otherwise I've been doing high-risk targets for most of my xp, that and just playing the game. Never felt the need to grind for xp, just for gear.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 18, 2023

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Psion posted:

F10 will take a 4k screenshot but they get hidden in a really silly place, c:\users\username\AppData\Local\ES2\Saved\Screenshots\WindowsNoEditor\ - this works regularly and in the ingame photo mode.

I can't pass up the opportunity to inflict my hot pink thruster colors on a thread, though, sooo here's some I've taken, feel free to use whichever. https://imgur.com/a/aOWxeRm
Fantastic shots in there, thanks, I'll put some in the OP and credit you!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As someone who played around 20h in early access and finished the game after release, I was mostly pleased with it but it absolutely drags. The game feels like a 10-15 hour game that was stretched to 40 hours. Which is ironic given the first game took about 10 hours to finish but left me wanting more. The game is absolutely stunning visually. Music and Audio are great as well. The main issue is the gameplay loop really. The combat never becomes more involved than pointing your cursor at the enemy while strafing and using a device here and there to escape a hairy situation.

The maps are beautifully designed but there's really nothing to do other than playing hide and seek for all the "puzzles" they put in the environments. These consist of:
- Find sphere dispenser and device the stuff goes into
- Find battery to put into lock item.
- Maneuver a drone through some annoying terrain (the depth perception in these segments sucks, I had to turn sideways to get past most laserwalls)
- shoot buttons in a certain order
- Find the invisible container by following an audio ping

This is all the game has to offer in terms of exploration, over and over and over in every single area. There are a few more original kinds of puzzles later (Including areas that are bombarded by a neutron stars radiation so you have to play "floor is lava")
Also the ships are too expensive to ever try out a new one, I played until max level (30) and was only able to buy 2 tier 4 ships total. Once you find one you enjoy you will likely stick with the same type for the entire game.

The story is... let's not talk about it. It's there and thats all that needs to be said. Overall I enjoyed my time with the game but it really really starts to drag after the 50% point.

Edit: Worth mentioning is that the visual ship customization is top notch. You can choose colors for everything! Paint coatings, engine colors, emissive light colors, the cockpit, logos etc.

Some screenshots from playing:

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 18, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So wait this one isn't a roguelike? I always thought ES1 looked cool but im so sick of roguelikes i never played it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game's fun but I feel like by the second system I've gotten everything I want out of it, to be honest

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

RBA Starblade posted:

The game's fun but I feel like by the second system I've gotten everything I want out of it, to be honest

Which sucks because the most cool visuals don't happen until 3rd system and beyond. The 6th and final one is strictly postgame so I never visited it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mr. Crow posted:

So wait this one isn't a roguelike? I always thought ES1 looked cool but im so sick of roguelikes i never played it

this one is an open world rpg, kinda feels like privateer/freelancer to play

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

I've heard it described as "looter shooter" but it doesn't quite hit the mark because the looter part of the game doesn't feel as fleshed out as I'd expect for that genre, at least so far for me.

Definitely agree with the privateer/freelancer/elite comparisons, keeping in mind that this game is very much focused on the combat > exploration > everything else. My main concern is longevity. I don't know how long this will hold me, at least right now.

The Vindicator still owns bones, and arguably feels better than its ES1 counterpart. Love my flying brick of a drone swarm ship.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The best way to view this game is playing game like Descent but in open space, with tons of hide & seek loot puzzles in every map.

Also protip from someone who finished the game, don't sleep on the Flak. It clears minefields really easily and also ignores enemies with frontal shields.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Cool guess ill add this to my list and grab it on sale since there are some concerns

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I guess this is the closest I'll get to a new Freelancer game.
Seems all right so far, but I'm not really feeling the setting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Also the ships are too expensive to ever try out a new one, I played until max level (30) and was only able to buy 2 tier 4 ships total. Once you find one you enjoy you will likely stick with the same type for the entire game.

ships sell for 100% of purchase price so you can switch between different ships of the same tier for basically nothing. I think I paid a grand total of like 2000 credits when i felt like trying out gunship before going back to interceptor. Bomber is still on my to-try list but since cruise missiles are thoroughly underwhelming I'm not quite sure how I want to set that one up yet.

FrickenMoron posted:

Also protip from someone who finished the game, don't sleep on the Flak. It clears minefields really easily and also ignores enemies with frontal shields.

flak guns absolutely own, it's true. They also complete an entire mining patch in one hit. I'm a lot cooler on the scattergun or the blaster archetypes but I'll always be happy to find flak, coilgun, pulse laser, or beam laser. I seem to be cursed with a lack of good autocannon drops, which is a shame since they're real fun too.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 18, 2023

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

bone emulator posted:

I guess this is the closest I'll get to a new Freelancer game.
Seems all right so far, but I'm not really feeling the setting.

It's truly not much like freelancer at all, even though it sort of felt like it was at first. Nothing is ever going to scratch that freelancer itch I guess.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Found a decent flak in Ceto early on and discovered theres a bug related to it hard locking the game sometimes when it kills enemies. I've had it happen twice within a few hours. Makes me sad, I don't want to have to have to use something shittier to prevent losing progress in a map :(

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Hmm, sounds like blasting through the story to get to late game stuff is better to do than really spending a lot of time on side stuff.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Not a roguelike this time around.

I actually thought the first Everspace was one of better ways I've seen a roguelike done, though. Good way to work out both why the player is super amazing by the end of the game and settle the reasoning behind why they can keep going at it after they die.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I play on controller, it works plenty well tbh.

I really like railguns and picking off enemies from super far away, but during missions where they're pouring bad guys at you I have to switch to a shield breaker and a hull breaker weapon for more up close battles.

e: I've been trying to buy a new ship but the way the stock resets is so loving annoying. Couldn't get the one I wanted to pop up even after waiting for refresh a few times.

Although then I realized even though it looked different, the ship I was trying to buy was a sentinel, but it had much better base stats. Was that because it was a blue coded rarity ship even though it's the same kind as you start the game with?

And another question, what is the best ship base

Play fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 18, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Flak is good.

I'd suggest cruise missiles too. Nothing like just utterly obliterating the boss capital ships in a couple long range shots or sniping an incoming bomber/gunship plus whoever was unfortunate enough to be in the blast radius. Just don't forget you have them selected and oops yourself at close range.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Play posted:

Although then I realized even though it looked different, the ship I was trying to buy was a sentinel, but it had much better base stats. Was that because it was a blue coded rarity ship even though it's the same kind as you start the game with?

And another question, what is the best ship base

yes, ship rarity will affect stats. a blue sentinel is better than a grey one even if they're otherwise identical. there's a rarity multiplier to stats.

best ship base is up to your playstyle; they're all good at something. Look at the ult and the passives to get an idea of what they do and pick what you like best. What's your thing, up close or distance, drones or lots of missiles, lots of guns...guns that fire forever???

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 18, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Hmm, sounds like blasting through the story to get to late game stuff is better to do than really spending a lot of time on side stuff.

The final story mission is level 26, so I don't know how much you can do in that regard.

And yes, The ship tiers are just straight upgrades, each ship has 4 tiers.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone sometimes feel like the ship is "stuck" turning when using m and kb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ZeusCannon posted:

Does anyone sometimes feel like the ship is "stuck" turning when using m and kb?

I think that's down to the handling stat, which determines how well the ship turns and maneuvers. So it can only turn as fast as the stats allow. Unless you're describing something totally different.