Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Pikmin series is a console strategy/action game that has been a Nintendo staple since 2001.

Pikmin (2001)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXKxv9VfQDU

Originally released on the GameCube and re-released on both WIi and Switch.

Player is Captain Olimar, who crashes the SS Dolphin on mysterious planet PNF-404 after running into an asteroid. He has 30 days (which are about 15-20 minutes long) to retrieve all 30 parts of his spaceship before the toxic oxygen atmosphere kills him. Introduces the world of the Red, Yellow, and Blue Pikmin, and the very harsh world in which they live. The player does not have to manage any food or other resources, but there is a hard 30-day time limit before the game ends. Only 25 of the 30 parts are required, the extra 5 are only needed to get the best ending.

Pikmin 2 (2004)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA_m44NfVDc

Also released on GameCube, and then re-released on Wii and Switch.

Olimar returns to his homeworld of Pokopo, where the company he works for — Hocotate Freight — is in serious financial crisis! His boss (the President) sells his beloved Dolphin upon his arrival. But it turns out that PNF-404 is full of treasure. Olimar and his coworker Louie return in search of loot to save the company. Players can switch between Louie and Olimar to double their effectiveness.

Red, Blue, and Yellow Pikmin return. Also new are Purple Pikmin, who have the strength of 10 regular Pikmin and stun enemies when they land on them. They are awesome. White Pikmin are introduced as well. They are fast, small, good diggers, and are poisonous to whoever eats them. Days still of limited duration, but time is basically unlimited in this game since there is no worry about oxygen poisoning, and time does not pass when a player is in a cave.

Pikmin 3 (2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSQ0Z6eDhU

Released on Wii U in 2017, and later for Switch as Pikmin 3 Deluxe in 2020.

Instead of the Hocotatians, we now see the inhabitants of planet Koppai, who are stricken with a grave famine. A space probe visits PNF-404 and discovers it is full of fruit. Astronauts, Alph, Brittany, and Charlie take off in the SS Drake to save their planet. But when they arrive at PNF-404, they crash. Again.

Returning are Red, Blue, and Yellow Pikmin in the main game. White and Purple Pikmin do appear in the extra modes and in 2-player battle mode. New are Rock Pikmin, which can break through crystal walls and armor, and the Pink Pikmin, diminutive flying Pikmin. The days are unlimited as well — as long as the Koppaites have fruit juice to consume, they are fine. But first they have to find each other, and who is this mysterious Hocotatian they found? What did he do with their juice?

Hey! Pikmin (2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHGTVVLmxBI

Captain Olimar returns in this Nintendo 3DS game.

Series makes the transition from 3D to 2D. Olimar crashes the SS Dolphin II on PNF-404, where he is reunited with the Pikmin. To repair his ship, he needs to find 30000 Sparklium bits, and must use the PIkmin he finds to collect it. When they're not helping him in the field, the little Pikmin relax in Pikmin Park.

Pikmin Bloom (2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuGP6s9Tqww

For iOS and Android devices — using your phone's sensors, Pikmin Bloom keeps track of all of your steps to train and grow Pikmin, plant virtual flowers, and find new Pikmin sprouts in real-world locations.. From Niantic (makers of Pokemon Go) and Nintendo, this includes all known species of Pikmin, but this time they can wear hats! Or costumes! Has some social components, as you can take out mushrooms growing in the world, have walking contest with friends, or send postcards commemorating your past victories.

Pikmin 4 (2023)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtY29lvEup8

Released on July 21, 2023

Returning this game: Olimar, and all previously-seen Pikmin types. Player generates a custom character, the newest member of the Rescue Corp. Dispatched to save the previous expedition who crashed, they must find all of their other Rescue Corps members, and anyone else who is stranded on PNF-404. They'll also be helped by Oatchi, a rescue pup. Together, they must investigate caves, mysterious structures, and encounter two new types of Pikmin. Ice Pikmin can freeze water and enemies. Glow Pikmin are used for new night missions.

There is also an extensive post-credits sequence that feels like a separate campaign.

Jet Jaguar fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Yay Pikmin.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I love Pikmin!

You're all alone and these weird little guys wanna help. Just little helpful guys! Makes your heart melt. You can't do anything without them. They do what you say, and working together you get stuff done. But if you mess up, if you give the wrong orders, they get eaten. They scream in fear as horrible creatures eat them. Because you messed up. They just wanted to help you! They trusted you! And now they're screaming and dying! It's too much! These little helpful guys who just wanted to help you- all of a sudden you'd do anything to protect them from harm.

There's nothing in the game that tells you how to feel. It's just a little natural world that follows its own natural logic. It just presents a scenario and you can't help but feel.

Pikmin is a game about wordless love.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There is a really interesting article that Nintendo published that goes into some early days of the first game and more about the new one.

Including a bunch of concept art I've never seen before!

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-10-pikmin-4-part-1/
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-10-pikmin-4-part-2/

Jet Jaguar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 20, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

There is a really interesting article that Nintendo published that goes into some early days of the first game and more about the new one.

Including a bunch of concept art I've never seen before!

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-10-pikmin-4-part-1/
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-10-pikmin-4-part-2/
These interviews are great, but make me a bit sad. Pikmin were originally more Tim-Burton-esque creepy cute (to appeal to high school girls, lol), and the dog in Pikmin 4 was originally going to be a tame Bulborb.

I want to befriend creepy pikmin while riding a bulborb!

Oh well, I guess pikmin aren't entirely not creepy, and the dog is pretty bulborb-esque.

I like that their answer to balancing Pikmin 1's challenging atmosphere and Pikmin 2's freedom was the whole "dandori" concept of making optimization the core of the challenge. That really seems like a great compromise that has the best of both styles.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I’ve been so tempted to play Hey Pikmin in the lead up to Pikmin 4. Like, I know it’s got a bad rep, but there’s a morbid curiosity there. And conceptually, 2D platformer pikmin, it doesn’t sound terrible - I used to love Lemmings.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m sure I would enjoying playing one of these but my old roommate would play 3 a lot at high volumes and the nonstop woohooing and squealing coming from the pikmin was so unbearable that it made me hate these games.

New one looks cute tho

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey Pikmin isn't amazing but it's fine for what it is.

I'm so excited for 4. I replayed 1 earlier this month doing the minimum Pikmin challenge which was a pretty enjoyable way to reexperience that game. I vaguely wanted to replay the other two but didn't get around to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Noonsaliwah posted:

I’ve been so tempted to play Hey Pikmin in the lead up to Pikmin 4. Like, I know it’s got a bad rep, but there’s a morbid curiosity there. And conceptually, 2D platformer pikmin, it doesn’t sound terrible - I used to love Lemmings.

It's fine. It wouldn't have that bad rep if it came out like, a year after Pikmin 3 instead of 4 years later with nothing else in-between.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Please rise for our national anthem:

https://youtu.be/SL2ePovKMtg

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I started Hey! Pikmin twice and never picked it up again after playing for about an hour. Really couldn't get into it, but I do want to give it one last shot.

Pikmin 4 leaked online a couple days ago, currently messing around with it on Yuzu. Not really digging how much tutorial stuff in the beginning and it's annoying, just let me play the game and figure things out drat it.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

I love Pekman

I have been waiting since 09 for a release on a system that I own.

Edit: I 100% 1 and 2 on the GameCube, I ignored 3 because I’m not buyin a Wii U, and Bloom doesn’t count imo

I am ready for dog Oatchi

treepunk as hell fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 20, 2023

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Please rise for our national anthem:

https://youtu.be/SL2ePovKMtg

my face when I read those lyrics

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know 3 also came out on Switch right

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

treepunk as hell posted:

I love Pekman

I have been waiting since 09 for a release on a system that I own.

Edit: I 100% 1 and 2 on the GameCube, I ignored 3 because I’m not buyin a Wii U, and Bloom doesn’t count imo

I am ready for dog Oatchi

When you're done with 4 you owe it to yourself to pick up 3 on switch, it's extremely good. Mission Mode in particular is some of the best Pikmining in the series.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
Pikmin 3 is such a beautiful game. I remember several times just stopping what I was doing to admire things or take screenshots. Plus the co-op mode is amazing, I played through the entire game with my wife and it was a blast. It seems like Pikmin 4's co-op is back to the Wii era where the second player just points at the screen and shoots objects which is such a huge disappointment to me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ugh, the Pikmin AI in 4 is absolutely perfect. It's so much easier to do things.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

You know 3 also came out on Switch right

No I was not aware. I’ll put it in the pile on the recommendations of this thread

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Eiba posted:

I love Pikmin!

You're all alone and these weird little guys wanna help. Just little helpful guys! Makes your heart melt. You can't do anything without them. They do what you say, and working together you get stuff done. But if you mess up, if you give the wrong orders, they get eaten. They scream in fear as horrible creatures eat them. Because you messed up. They just wanted to help you! They trusted you! And now they're screaming and dying! It's too much! These little helpful guys who just wanted to help you- all of a sudden you'd do anything to protect them from harm.

There's nothing in the game that tells you how to feel. It's just a little natural world that follows its own natural logic. It just presents a scenario and you can't help but feel.

Pikmin is a game about wordless love.

:emptyquote:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

treepunk as hell posted:

No I was not aware. I’ll put it in the pile on the recommendations of this thread

It is short, but perfect, and they added some self contained challenge levels for post-game. One of my favourite Switch games.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pikmin slaps.

I replayed and beat Pikmin 2 last night, so I'm excited for the long awaited sequel Pikmin 2 2

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Pikmin 2 > 1 > 3 > spinoffs. Fruit collecting isn't anywhere near as fun as "I need to get OUT of here" or "the trash of the old world is as good as gold to us," and rock pikmin feel like they're just purple pikmin again, and 3 was too focused on fighting besides. Especially if you weren't cheesing the big bosses, they would have arbitrary HP gates to prolong the fights and make a lot of the fight focused on just keeping your army under control and waiting for your strike. From what I've played of the 4 demo, I think the slight skill tree for Oatchi is a smart idea, even if the idea of him carrying the entire army around is a little lame, it's not like waiting for your army to slowly walk over was particularly fun. It was just 'ahh, my guys skimmed the water and started to drown, this sucks.'

also bring back ultra bitter spray

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Before replaying 1+2 I had ranked 3 much lower than the original GameCube games because of its ease, but I’ve really come to appreciate its place in the series. The difficulty of the side missions makes me appreciate a campaign that’s so pleasant and polished from front to back. And now that we have 4 coming out that delivers on a much longer campaign, 3 really has a nice place along the series for what it is.

I love how unique each game in this series is from one another.

Pikmin 1 was a huge game for me and I remember being absolutely rabid to get home and play it after school. 2 was the best thing ever, Peakmin, and it was one of those things where I followed every crumb of prerelease news. I was too deep into college to bother with Pikmin 3 or video games when it came out, but eventually got around to playing it. Deluxe filled in all the major gripes I had with the game. I’m glad these devs know the power of the Piklopedia.

The charm of these games is off the charts. I love them. I really hope this game is commercially successful, the stars are aligned for it to be.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Is this a midnight release?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
That's probably fair. I'm going off Pikmin 3 vanilla, meaning full on WiiU controls and the awful charge mechanics.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If it’s like TOTK, it’s locked to midnight EST.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pikmin was the reason i got a gamecube on launch and it was absolutely worth it, pikmin 2 was even better and while i did not like 3 as much due to its short length and relative lack if difficulty it was still a very good game and challenge mode was a lot of fun. i cannot wait for pikmin 4. pikmin fuckin rocks.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

My first exposure to Pikmin was one of those short lived GameCube kiosks in the McDonald's playpen.

Since then I've been hooked on the series.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
That’s not very Dandori of you, Olimar.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The time-based mechanics in the first game put me off of the series when it was initially released. I like to take my time and explore and that game went against my preferences.

After playing the Pikmin 4 demo and loving it, I decided to give the Switch releases of 1 and 2 a shot. It turns out that I was totally wrong about the mechanics of the first game. The days are long enough to give you time to explore and look around but short enough that you can't easily do everything. There is usually extra time at the end of every day to help you learn the level a little better and plan what you want to do to get as much as possible the following day. The 30 day limit is mostly irrelevant; if you aren't a kid you should easily be able to get all the parts in that time frame. The level design is pretty much perfect - open enough to allow for multiple strategies and with just the right amount of challenge to make succeeding feel like an accomplishment.

I'm only part of the way through 2, and I feel it is a step down due to the removal of time pressure. I feel the design of Valley of Repose in particular is worse than any of the areas in the first game. The stage feels like it stretches on forever and instead of being open has one main pathway. It doesn't matter if there are items way back at the end of the path because you can take as many days as necessary, so I guess they didn't care as much about the layout allowing for efficiency. The caves are mostly interesting but usually a little too long. The music, while still excellent, also feels like a step down compared to the first. It is still fun to play and I plan on getting to 100% completion, but where I played through the original in two days I'm only playing this game occasionally for an hour here and there.

The first game reminds me of Portal in a way. It takes a focused gameplay idea, explores it completely, and doesn't waste any time. Both Portal and Pikmin feel like they were designed to encourage players to master their systems in multiple playthroughs with the goal of completing the games as quickly as possible.

I'm excited to go the rest of the way through the series, but I will definitely be returning to the first game.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, 2 was fine but I think the series really shines when you’re juggling multiple tasks and trying to split your army up efficiently, which caves and no time limit don’t really push you towards.

I’m glad that 4 has the mission mode stuff from 3 as part of the story, I thought those were a really great way to compress the whole Pikmin experience into a short, focused puzzle.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I feel it helps to think of the time limit on Pikmin 1 is that you should be collecting at least one ship part a day (30 days, 30 parts), which encourages forward momentum.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
People have already discussed the time limit, but I think the other really great thing about Pikmin that the series doesn't carry forward is the sense of loneliness. Olimar is trapped in a strange planet with only strange animals for company, and the game never lets you forget it. His journal entries do most of the heavy lifting here, but I always looked forward to reading one at the end of the day.

I get why Nintendo never revisited the idea, since they wouldn't want their new game to be "Pikmin Again". But the later games lose something important in what they do in exchange, I think.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I don’t like my demo character’s looks. How soon do you think it becomes changeable? Or should I just replay the demo while I wait for the game to unlock…

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Slowpoke! posted:

I don’t like my demo character’s looks. How soon do you think it becomes changeable? Or should I just replay the demo while I wait for the game to unlock…

I've already decided to just start over with the full game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pikmin 4 has unlocked!

And I have to get up early tomorrow for work! gently caress, why did I even check?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Gotta finish cooking but this title music is great.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Looks like if you use ultra-spicy spray, all of your active Pikmin (not just those in your squad) will bloom. Oatchi will get the ultra-spicy boost, too.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 21, 2023

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Huh. The blooming part was a mechanic in earlier games but hitting your entire team seems huge.

Also the second area is definitely a bit of a step up from the first. I was very much not happy to see them re-use a certain dick move from Pikmin 2. Enemies can drop on your head in dungeons. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah i've been seeing alot of people thing that because the tutorial is hand holdy and the first area is mostly chill and safe that the game might be too casual and easy, but even as soon as the second area and it's cave, the game is willing to just shave 10 pikmin off your reserves if you aren't paying an appropriate level of attention and caution.

Very dick move the game just gave me, but I should have known better and expected something like this.