Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

For most people, life in Cascadia is quite simple. Lush, green forests, white snowy mountains, a crisp yet comforting sky, it can be the perfect quiet place to raise your family. The typical American family, parents, a couple of kids, pet dog, 7'10" Sasquatch, it's the American Dream right here. Yep, that's Harry, once local legend, now regional fixture. The Hendersons have informally adopted him and the rest of his pack as part of their own. But there are those that resent him and want to run his kind off, or even worse, hunt them down! In this game of Mafia, we will see whose side will win: The Pro-Squatch Harry sympathizers who just want him to live his best life, or Anti-Yeti (that rhymes) conspirators, who will eliminate anyone who stands in their way when it comes to driving out these foul beasts.

This game is new player friendly. The game will not lie, so no death millers or anything silly like that. Try not to focus too much on game mechanics and alignments. Flavor will not dictate game mechanics. The Anti-Yeti players will be given fake characters to claim as their own, so don't try to figure out who is going after Harry through character info, look for who appears to be lying in the thread.

:siren:>>DISCORD HERE<<:siren:

Rules
  • Day period will last 48-72 hours, time is arbitrary but will be posted at start of day. Nights will have a 24 hour deadline but night phase may end early when all night actions are in. Think of it as a soft 18-24 hour deadline. Try not to game it, I end it when I get to it.

• Standard mafia rules apply, short version: don't fake day actions, don't edit your posts, don't try to trick votefinder, if you're dead don't post in the thread anymore.

• Don't be a jerk. If the game is making you mad, close the tab, stand up, and go for a walk. It's a game.

• Anti-Lurker Rule: If you make less than 6 posts in a game-day that lasts longer than 24 hours, you will be issued a warning. If you do it again, you will be swallowed up into the ground by earthquakes.

• Don't copy/paste or screenshot your role pm or any communications from out of the thread. Paraphrase if you have to. Copy and paste, copy and DIE.

• Hammer Rule: When there is a hammer and someone has received enough votes for elimination, the game will go to a twilight phase until I can get to the thread to close it. If you were the one voted, stop posting. Other players can still post freely but no game actions can occur during the twilight period.

• Not a rule, but a note to more veteran Mafia players: This is intended to be an entry level game and there will be newer players trying to dip their toe in. As such, although instinct would have you casing people who appear to be lurking, please try to curb this impulse. These players may not be familiar with standard mafia vernacular or metagame and their relative inactivity may be more of a sign of timidity to put their piece in than obfuscation.

This game will require discord. The discord server will be posted later today. We are looking for 14-19 players.

1. CubicalSucrose
  2. curiousCat
  3. EGalz18
  4. fool of sound
  5. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  6. Haschel Cedricson
  7. kdowns
  8. MockingQuantum (He/him)
  9. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  10. PhantomMuzzles
  11. Pinterest Mom
  12. Sighence
  13. t a s t e
  14. Tired Moritz
  15. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  16. wologar (he/him/whatever)

Replacement Players
Voodoofly

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Provisional signup

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

STONE COLD 64 posted:

don't try to figure out who is going after Harry through character info, look for who appears to be lying in the thread.

Well yeah if I could figure out who appears to be lying in the thread I'd just win every game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
ill play

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i will support you and will replace out for newbies if needed.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm in, but will also give up my spot to a newer newbie. a newerbie

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
get dbd's wife to play!!!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm in, but will also give up my spot to a newer newbie. a newerbie

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ahhh following up on the success of Gushers mafia, stone cold is bringing back more nostalgia filled mafia fun

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

i will support you and will replace out for newbies if needed.

Yea this

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Eh y'know what it's been a solid decade since my mafia days why not, I'll sign up.

kdowns
Jan 18, 2023

Sup count me in

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Alright fine.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

actually i should probably bow out because I've been pretty busy lately and don't see that changing and I'm just a little burnt out.

I guess mark me as a replacement

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I want to play! I've never played mafia online before, and the only FRG I've played was Survivor WW so I'd consider myself a very green newbie player.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

eh

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I look forward to engaging with your boundless enthusiasm in the social arena that is mafia

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
Hello! I am the newest of new, and I'm here to support (or shun) our friend (or menace), Harry, should I be granted the opportunity!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

EGalz18 posted:

Hello! I am the newest of new, and I'm here to support (or shun) our friend (or menace), Harry, should I be granted the opportunity!

yesssssss

one of us! one of us!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I look forward to engaging with your boundless enthusiasm in the social arena that is mafia

pls be nice :(

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fine, just this once

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no ring?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Signing up for four games at once because none of them can fill

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I'll suck at this sure

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

This game will require discord. The discord server will be posted later today.

72 hours later,

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

72 hours later,

it will be posted later today

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we got 15 so im gonna keep signups open for the remainder of the week, if nobody else signs up we'll launch monday

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I would like to play. Never tried this before.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

>>DISCORD HERE<<

it is now later

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
signing up

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

I would like to play. Never tried this before.

welcome, new mafia player Mr. Humalong

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Roles going out in a bit game starting later today

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

A primer before we play:

This game will utilize Votefinder. Votefinder is a handy vote-tracking tool. You don't need to really do anything, when you want to vote someone, you will type ##VOTE Playername, making sure to bold it. Then Votefinder will automatically tally the vote. If you want to remove your vote, you just type ##Unvote, bolding as well. Votefinder will usually alert when a player has reached enough votes to be executed, and will also alert when the game-day has ended at which point no more votes will be tallied. If you're ever curious about the current vote-count, the very top of the first post in this thread will keep an automatically updating running tally of the vote.

It takes a Majority of votes to execute a player. If a majority is not reached, we will reach what is called a No-Vote and nobody will be executed. This is always going to be more beneficial for the Anti-Yeti (Scum) Players as it gives them another chance to reduce Pro-Squatch (Town) player numbers without losing one of their own. If you have received the majority number of votes (Votefinder each day will post what the threshold number is to execute), please cease posting until I can get around to update the thread. Everyone else is free to post in this twilight period.

The game operates in two phases, Day Phase and Night Phase.

During the day phase, that is when all of you talk it out in this thread and try to figure out who the scummy Anti-Yetis are. Anti-Yetis are going to lie. You gotta find out who is lying! The game may get heated, but remember, it is only a game. Each day will end when it reaches its arbitrary deadline or when a player has received a majority of votes and is executed.

During the night phase, the thread will be closed. On discord, if you were given a special Role, you will have actions that you can activate during this night phase! They will resolve at the start of the next day phase. Nights will tend to be shorter than day phases.

Lastly, I want to discuss flavor. Some of you may fall into a trap of thinking "Well this guy's claiming his role character is this guy, and in the movie he was a bad guy." Well, throw that thinking out the window. The flavor and theme of this game has NOTHING to do with who is Anti-Yeti or Pro-Squatch. It has all been randomly determined by wheel.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

due to issues with votefinder that will hopefully be resolved later tonight, the game has been postponed to Tuesday. our apologies.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Votefinder maintenance seems to be done so lets get this party started

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (16): CubicalSucrose, curiousCat, EGalz18, fool of sound, Hal Insandenza, Haschel Cedricson, kdowns, MockingQuantum, Mr. Humalong, PhantomMuzzles, Pinterest Mom, Sighence, t a s t e, Tired Moritz, Toalpaz, wologar

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is August 17th, 2023 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 12 hours.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Confirming that I am vanilla town.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Against all odds I am a fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Didn't think Cena read through Galaxy Sane, but in a hilarious turn of events I'm actually a Random Cop.

(A cop in Mafia is a role that will typically let you target a player at night and learn their alignment/team. Usually it's a role given to players on the Uninformed Majority team.)

(Sanity is a mechanic that is disliked by many, infrequently used, and will have some sort of bearing on the results of one's night action. Often this information is hidden to the player.)