Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."
https://vimeo.com/859999389

Welcome to USKARA, a world of BAROQUE FANTASY.

It is a world very much unlike our own, with its FIRMAMENT built on crystal spheres nested within each other, surrounding a central SOLAR DISK. Its history is of cycles of Apocalypse and Resurrection, of one World ending and another World being born. Our story is of the SEVENTH WORLD, a Time of Faith, where the Gods have conquered the Heavens and impose their will through their churches.

We begin our story on the continent of SULGARD, dominated by the HOLY LAWFUL EMPIRE.

Once divided into Six Realms, it was unified over the course of two dynasties and a bloody civil war into one unified polity, under the light of MITRA, PANTOKRATOR and God of the Sun. The Empire was built from the ashes of the diabolical GRAND OLD DOMINION, first formed when the Dukes of RUSANTE claimed the High Kingdom of SARUM, crowned by the clergy of the Holy Cities of THE NINEVAR and united in marriage to BRECHELIANT. Later, the free cities of AGURAIN and the nomadic bands of LAITHLIND would swear fealty to the Emperor.

The land is named for the TURULSUL, the World Tree that sprouts from its sacred earth upon the carcass of the Corpse-God NOGAD. Thus, it is still a wild land in many parts, full of monsters, yet the unification of the Civilized Realms has formed a bulwark that has given peace and prosperity for over a hundred years.

It is time for that peace to end.

Sometimes too much Good is a bad thing.

With over a century of virtually no conflict, SULGARD stagnates. While the peasantry and stupid and content, many grow restless and bored. The rest of USKARA leaves this backwater behind in their dust, with the hegemonic Commonwealth securing an undisputed global sphere of influence. Armies have been disbanded. Swords have been made into plowshares, and knights are known more for jousts than war. The splendid isolation of this supposed golden age, the so-called LANDFRIED, keeps innovation and competition stagnant. Even poetry and song are dominated by praise of MITRA, and little else.

What is Good without Evil? What is the Light without its Shadow? Heroism demands villainy.

An Army of Darkness assembles in the Shade-lands under the direction of an unknown master. Agents are dispatched across the continent, indeed, the world to prepare the way for the coming of a new Dark One.

During the Fifth World, it was IALDABAOTH, the Demiurge, the Prince of Evil, Lord Satan and the Great Adversary, who was held highest by the GRAND OLD DOMINION. His design sought to scale to the crystal Heavens and depose the false Pretenders once and for all, and through this great rebellion end the cycle forever, making reality a Tyranny of Will Alone. His cults have long kept the Dark Faith alive through his Book of Sins. One of its many successors have begun to unfold a sinister symphony, the results of which will grip all of Turulsul into total, destructive war. This is your war. Down with the Pretender Sun! Hail Satan!

The Manual posted:

IT’S GOOD TO BE EVIL is an adventure game of dastardly deeds and Baroque fantasy, where instead of taking on the role of a hero on a mighty quest, you are the Dark One that brings the world to heel. You may find yourself truly taken by this story, so gamer beware!

To play is a simple matter of using the text parser. You will either be given choices highlighted by BOLD text, or be given free reign to write your own choices, though be aware that not every choice can be accepted. You can even play with a group of your very best friends, or most loyal minions, with each person’s choice counted as a vote towards a choice, though be mindful that this game has a mind of its own!

For example…
    You are in a dark room that is ten by ten feet, carved from hewn stone. Torchlights dimly illuminate your surroundings, revealing a portal going WEST and a portal going EAST.

> GO EAST
If at any point you have questions, feel free to refer to this manual, which you can do in-game by using the following syntax for looking up various elements and concepts:
    > MANUAL <SEARCH TERM>
This is your key tool to learning more about the SEVENTH WORLD, as it is a strange and unfamiliar place to you. While much will be revealed naturally, you can always use this option to peer behind the curtain and learn more, but use this tool may only work sparingly in between the chapters of your story.
    > MANUAL USKARA

The Manual posted:

Uskara is an earthen sphere that surrounds the astral sea of the Heavens, facing inwards towards a brilliant central Sun, which appears as a rotating disk that winks in and out of twilight, like the blinking of a great eye. Long days and “nights” of murky twilight make the passage of time stranger than you might imagine, though it still counts hours, months and years as we do. It is bisected by the Gloaming, a zone of perpetual dusk where the solar disk never expands wide enough to day. To the “north” is the great World Tree, Turulsul, that reaches with its hungry branches and breaches through the crystal spheres of Heaven, while “south” is defined by the great sinkhole of Abaddon, which opens into Hell itself, and beyond even that, the Pit.

Six continents mark its surface: Sulgard holds the roots of the World Tree while Zafara expands out from the depths of Abaddon, all surrounded by a single great ocean divided into four seas. The remaining continents include vast Algoboa, the great Ornassi archipelago, frozen Perdita, and dark Seotan. Beneath the ground is a great underworld known as Chur that hollows out much of the earthen sphere, criss-crossed by the spectral river of the Golling which carries with it all souls to their destination. Dig deep enough and reality begins to fray, as stone turns liquid and light becomes extinguished in the great abyss of the Outer Depths.

From its place in the Firmament, almost all mortal life, save for the astral colonies of the Commonwealth in the desolate crystalline spheres of the Heavens, lives upon Uskara. The many kindreds that inhabit the surface vary from the four races of demihumanity, to the beastfolk such as kobolds and orcs, to the illbred duergar and merrow, to truly inhuman beings such as kinnara and fetches.

The Seventh World has been built on the ashes of great classical empires, escaping its dark age into a renaissance of culture and technology. Institutions and statecraft have begun in earnest, and a glimpse of the earliest modernity has broken through save in the most backwards of places. Such as the Holy Lawful Empire, which clings to the old ways even now, its Landfried and splendid isolation keeping it like a place locked out of time.

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."
||== CHARACTER SHEET ==||
    THE DARK ONE
    SARAH MAELRUADHA
code:
ATTRIBUTES
== Brutality:  030/100
== Cunning:    030/100
== Sorcery:    035/100

PREDILECTIONS
== Brooding:   005/100
== Maniacal:   020/100
== Pragmatic:  010/100 
== Vengeful:   020/100

HARM
== Body:       005/100
== Mind:       005/100
== Soul:       015/100

TAGS
== Gender:     Mistress
== Species:    Demihuman
== Kindred:    Ogre
== Clan:       Maelruadha
== Culture:    Guranese
== Hometown:   Tantallon
== Branding:   Tomb Robber
== Calling:    Fey
== Zodiac:     Inkil
== Skills
== ==          Seafaring
== Lores
== ==          Dungeons
== ==          Cant
== Deednames
== ==          Thunderarmed
== ==          Hearttaker
== Nemesis
== ==          Witchfinder Ralann

SINS
== Pain:       0/7
== Lies:       3/7
== Abandon:    0/7
== Fear:       0/7
== Greed:      1/7
== Betrayal:   1/7
== Tyranny:    0/7

INVENTORY
== A hidden SHIV
== A chain with a KEYSTONE
||== ROGUES GALLERY ==||
    Your Pawns
    • Accomplices

• Hespera Priscas, Hag Godmother
        code:
        HESPERA           	--    ACCOMPLICE
        BRUTLTY    020/100	--    SKILLS:	 [Thievery]
        CUNNING    050/100	--    LORES: 	 [Cant] [Numbers]
        SORCERY    020/100	--    INVENTORY:
        TAGS: [Gnome] [Halfling] [Ninevarine] [Kerukon] [Omthel]
      • Gerthrude, Kindly Grandmother
        code:
        GERTRUD           	--    ACCOMPLICE
        BRUTLTY    010/100	--    SKILLS:	 [Reanimation] [Cooking]
        CUNNING    035/100	--    LORES: 	 [Necromancy]
        SORCERY    045/100	--    INVENTORY:
        TAGS: [Quickling] [Sarumite] [Melissa] [Venerable]
    • Minions

• The Three Dogsbodies
        code:
        DOGBDES          --  MINIONS          --  TAGS: [Goblins] [Fey] [Diminuitive]
        BRUTLTY 010/100  --  CUNNING 010/100  --  SORCERY 010/100
        BOONS: 
||== THE WAR TABLE ==||

||== SAVED GAMES ==||

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 5, 2023

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

||== PROLOGUE: WAY OF THE WICKED ==||
> play echoes.wav

You awake to your full splendor, Dark One. It is the eve of your final victory, as you prepare to surmount all those who came before you. From your black tower you survey an army that meets the horizon, a New Dominion well within your grasp. Revel in this moment, for it may be fleeting.

One of your wretched SERVITORS capers before your feet, an impish frame that clatters with ill-fitting mail. Drooping its long snouted face under its leather skullcap, it addresses you as…
    > “MASTER!”
    > “MISTRESS!”
    > Something ELSE...
Clutched in its hands is your IMPLEMENT of power, the symbol of your unchallenged authority. Its clawed hands outstretched offer you…
    > Your FLAIL.
    > Your SCEPTER.
    > Your ORB.
With the IMPLEMENT at hand, humming with power, you suddenly feel your will suffusing through the great army below. With a single breath you can command them to make your desire manifest, your REASON for Evil. What is it that you wish for most?
    > To make them all PAY.
    > For POWER, of course. What else?
    > I want the whole world to know my NAME.
    > I NEVER asked for this.
Your wicked path took many years to reach fruition. It required sacrifice of what made you human, rendering your soul and body no longer mortal. There are many paths of atrocity to the same end of apotheosis. What were you willing to do, to steal, to pervert in the pursuit of immortality?
    > I replaced my body with artifice, becoming a GOLEM moved by will alone, though it cost me much Pain to do so.
    > I steal the hours and years away from my playthings, presenting as a terrible FEY, bound by my Lies as much as my truth.
    > I feed upon the life of lesser beings as a seductive LAMIA, their blood and breath sating my Abandon.
    > I relinquished material things and ascended as an ethereal WRAITH, my mind mastering what I truly Fear.
    > I glutted myself on treasure and transformed into a magnificent DRAGON, servant to mine and others' Greed.
    > I sequestered my soul into a vessel and mastered undeath as a LICH, committing the ultimate Betrayal of the natural order.
    > I signed the ultimate contract and drank of the stygian waters of the Pit to rise a DEVIL, the embodiment of Tyranny.

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 1, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
> “MISTRESS!”
> Your ORB.
> To make them all PAY.
> I steal the hours and years away from my playthings, presenting as a terrible FEY, bound by my Lies as much as my truth.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

> “MISTRESS!”, of course

> Your ORB.
for pondering purposes when we get bored

> To make them all PAY.
who doesn't love a good bit of revenge?

this is an accurate description of my playstyle in mafia, actually

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

:bandwagon:

>MISTRESS
>ponder ORB
>make them PAY
(“them” referring to the gods we’re attacking and dethroning to finish what Ialdabaoth started)
>FEY

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
> “MISTRESS!”
> Your ORB.
> To make them all PAY.
> I signed the ultimate contract and drank of the stygian waters of the Pit to rise a DEVIL, the embodiment of Tyranny.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

>"OVERLORD!"
>Your SCEPTER.
>For POWER, of course. What else?
>I signed the ultimate contract and drank of the stygian waters of the Pit to rise a DEVIL, the embodiment of Tyranny.

:devil::allears:

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

“Yes, MISTRESS, you are glorious!” The voice almost whines with a sibilant hiss, the creature prostrate before you as you hold aloft the ORB. It is made of a glassy material that appears opaque but reflective, the patterns within shifting with metallic ripples. You can feel it hum with arcane power, and through it you can extend your sight, mind, and voice throughout the entirety of your forces and army, projecting into their thoughts and perceptions. You are at once here and everywhere else, omniscient and thus omnipotent.
    > New Tags: [GENDER: MISTRESS]
    > ORB: +10 Sorcery.

”The Manual” posted:

Your Attributes demonstrate your character's prowess in three broad areas. These are checked against during certain tests and actions, usually based on a threshold. If your Attribute is insufficient for a challenge, you may get unintended consequences!
  • Your Brutality represents your capacity for violence and coercion, and the ability to overwhelm your enemies and minions with your power.
  • Your Cunning represents your mental acumen and exertion of wits, and your ability to solve problems with finesse and creativity.
  • Your Sorcery represents your raw, unadulterated potential for magic, and the ability to reshape reality according to your whims.

But of course, there is a REASON for all this. You have borne all these slings and arrows for so long, that it is difficult to remember exactly where it all began. In fact, those first wrongs have long since been forgotten, so petty and distant now that you stand here astride the Seventh World itself. Instead, you are filled with a well of hatred as you stare at the winking solar disk in the sky, half-eclipsed by the black moon Umbra. You will take back all that has been denied you by this Pretender, the Demon Sun.
    > PAY: +10 Vengeful

”The Manual” posted:

Your Predilections indicate the weight of your reputation and what others expect of you, based on your prior actions. They do not bind your choices, but the reaction of other characters to you in the story will be influenced by them. It can sometimes be to one's benefit to act against type, though many might be suspicious if you do. Sometimes it can be helpful to perform to expectations.
  • A Vengeful villain is known to respond to any trespass severely, and hold grudges eternally. Others will hesitate crossing you, but likewise will expect (or give) little quarter afterwards.
  • A Maniacal villain craves panache and showmanship, knowing no such thing as "restraint." Others will find it difficult to predict your actions, though few would ever trust you.
  • A Pragmatic villain ultimately cares about the bottom line above anything, justifying any means to their ends. Others will see you as able to be reasoned with, but also find you predictable.
  • A Brooding villain cloaks themselves in mystery, living in conflict over their ill deeds. Others will be moved by empathy and find it difficult to read your motives, but others whose allegiance is to Evil may mistrust you.

In the waning light of the day, you admire your new form in the mirrored surface of your orb. You hae bound the souls and lives of so many through words and wit, granting you eternal life so long as you can steal the hours away from the unwitting, making you one of the deceptive FEY, those who bind in story and song the unwary and unworthy. You are the witch in the hut, the noble with the thistle-down hair, the antlered hunter.
    > FEY: +1 Lies, +5 Cunning, +5 Maniacal
    > New Tags: [CALLING: FEY]

”The Manual” posted:

The Pit is a wound in the Firmament, which drags all souls towards it with its dark gravity. Sin is borne as a weight on the soul, and seven Sins empower the Pit and give it strength. As you go your wicked way, Dark One, commit great acts to spread and embody these Sins, and you will be rewarded with infernal investiture and ungodly powers. But be careful: atrocious deeds can make an atrocious form.

• The fiery, volcanic first layer of the Pit, Urgai, ruled by the Devil Adonis, feeds on the Sin of Pain, from cruelty and violence.
  • The dark woods of the second layer of the Pit, Anaon, ruled by the Devil Hekate, feeds on the Sin of Lies, from blasphemy and deceit.
  • The howling spires of the third layer of the Pit, Lammu, ruled by the Devil Belial, feeds on the Sin of Abandon, from lust and gluttony.
  • The smoke-choked city of the fourth layer of the Pit, Dis, ruled by the Devil Veles, feeds on the Sin of Fear, from paranoia and cowardice.
  • The watery depths of the fifth layer of the Pit, Komora, ruled by the Devil Typhon, feeds on the Sin of Greed, from avarice and jealousy.
  • The shifting sands of the sixth layer of the Pit, Menthes, ruled by the Devil Seth, feeds on the Sin of Betrayal, from treason and hatred.
  • The frozen darkness of the seventh layer of the Pit, Tzevoa, ruled by the Devil Lucifer, feeds on the Sin of Tyranny, from oppression and rebellion.

Yet the more you try to grasp the silhouette, the more hazy it becomes. You know that you are beautiful, yes, and terrible at the same time, but you cannot grasp your true form, and you begin to find lucidity eating away at the fraying edges of your dream.

The surface of the orb ripple and then distorts, and like a delayed thunderclap you hear a sound that tears through the fabric of your dying dream, a violence that shatters your dearest, darkest hopes.

THWOOM.

It is the sound of cannon. You awake in the belly of a ship, and the sound of fire emanates from a tall beacon tower on a fortress atop a stone escarpment, surrounded by the sea.

||== GAME AUTOSAVED ==||

> play clash.wav

You arrive at BRANDERSCAR, the most notorious prison across all of Sulgard. None have escaped it and lived. Situated on a base of chalk stone striped with lines of flint at the mouth of Waldo’s Awe, this castle is surrounded on all sides by the churning waters of the Nacurias, where amid beds of mussels and clams it is said the bones of attempted escapees broken on the stones still rest.

Entrance is via a special “gatehouse” where you are lifted up by a cable car system up onto the rocks. Inside, you are “processed.” Intake involves an interrogation and full body search, then you are stripped of everything you wear or hold and cleaned with cold water. A tonsure is cut into your hair, and you are dressed in roughspun hemp robes that itch slightly, both markers of your supposed humility.

In the days of the Landfried, there is little need for places like Branderscar, and thus it is mostly empty, allowing a sort of special, personal attention to be paid to the prisoners within. You see that they are a motley bunch, including many demihumans such as yourself but stranger things too: kobolds, orcs, even a fetch, a rare sight indeed.

What KINDRED do you claim?
    > I stand tall among many of the other prisoners, a QUICKLING. Blessed by Water but burdened by Tides, we are a short-lived but energetic kindred, physically strong and clever, and filling the world with our ambitions, spread throughout the lands in the greatest number. We are the true inheritors of the Seventh World.
    > My delicate form wilted in the sunless room, for I am an AELF. Blessed by Air but burdened by Hours, we left this world eons ago only to return to save it, our Astral Journey having changed our nature to adapt wherever we roam, living a deathless if not truly immortal existence. We are the natural aristocracy of the Seventh World.
    > Dwarfed by many of my fellows, I present proudly as a GNOME. Blessed by Earth but burdened by Quiet, we may be small but we are tough in fiber and gifted with long years and creative minds. Yet, we are cursed to forever seek out new experiences less we lose the spark that animates us and revert back to stone. We are the unacknowledged stewards of the Seventh World.
    > Towering over all others, I am the sole OGRE among the prisoners this day. Blessed by Fire but burdened by Hunger, we were the favorite children of the giants, made closest in their image, but in our rebellion cursed the harshest. We have almost disappeared, a dying kindred, but none can compare to our physical power. We are reminders of the past to the Seventh World.
At the final moments of your processing, before you are to be lead down to the depths of the castle, you register your crimes and other vitals down into a log, overlooked by an auburn haired callow lad with a skullcap and robe that indicates he is perhaps an apprentice mage of some kind.

One question seems slightly out of place: the ZODIAC sign you were born under. You have heard this prison operates mainly through arcane workings, and such a thing might be tied to the enchantments within. Under what constellation were you born?
    > NEMES, called the Lion or the Sphinx, rules over the month of Mitreia.
    > MELISSA, called the Bee or the Myrmidon, rules over the month of Ligeiad.
    > KERUKON, called the Snakes or the Hydra, rules over the month of Ennodar.
    > SULIS, called the Fish or the Kraken, rules over the month of Vodesan.
    > ALCIDES, called the Eagle or the Gryphon, rules over the month of Idrisil.
    > PELOPS, called the Mare or the Centaur, rules over the month of Herushan.
    > DARUNA, called the Hound or the Dragon, rules over the month of Bahamoot.
    > BASALKOS, called the Rooster or the Basilisk, rules over the month of Pentarin.
    > INKIL, called the Goat or the Capricorn, rules over the month of Nicarad.
    > EZ, called the Shark or the Warg, comes irregularly when marked by the passage of the comet-like Vagrant Star.
Finally, you are asked to confess the crime that earned your BRANDING, that made you truly forsaken among the people of Sulgard. Who were you before you were simply a convict?
    > Me and my kin were a clan among the bands of Laithlind, who bore a great shame as we fought alongside the orcish host decades ago. As outcasts, we turned to brigandage to survive, and I ruled them as a BANDIT QUEEN.
    > I swam through the gossamer courts of Brecheliant, a courtier and a SPY serving at the behest of my handlers among the distant Commonwealth. I committed secrets to pages that I sent by carrier dove, enriching myself at the expense of the aristocracy.
    > I was an orphan raised within the Axiomatic Church as an acolyte in the Ninevar, taught to love the light of the Pantokrator, Mitra. In the libraries of my order however I found myself in possession of forbidden knowledge, and I became a WARLOCK when I bound my first demon.
    > Though I did my time among the thieves’ guild in Agurain, I made my bones robbing the vast carcasses of ancient empires hidden beneath the earth. As a TOMB ROBBER I purloined magical secrets and power for myself, known throughout the Empire for my deeds.
    > I hail from patrician heritage, a noble house of Rusante known for their sorcerous acumen. Our Quintoro traditions run deep and bloody, and I availed myself of the rite of VENDETTA to avenge slights from the vile Ghilcante clan. The authorities did not look favorably upon my privileges.
    > I was a soldier for the armies of the Kingdom of Sarum, patrolling the Blasgaunt to protect good civilized folk from the Shade-lands. But this is no longer a world for soldiers, and I led me and my men into the wilderness as a DESERTER, to make for greener pastures than these.

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 2, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
> Dwarfed by many of my fellows, I present proudly as a GNOME. Blessed by Earth but burdened by Quiet, we may be small but we are tough in fiber and gifted with long years and creative minds. Yet, we are cursed to forever seek out new experiences less we lose the spark that animates us and revert back to stone. We are the unacknowledged stewards of the Seventh World.
> BASALKOS, called the Rooster or the Basilisk, rules over the month of Pentarad.
> I swam through the gossamer courts of Brecheliant, a courtier and a SPY serving at the behest of my handlers among the distant Commonwealth. I committed secrets to pages that I sent by carrier dove, enriching myself at the expense of the aristocracy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

> Towering over all others, I am the sole OGRE among the prisoners this day. Blessed by Fire but burdened by Hunger, we were the favorite children of the giants, made closest in their image, but in our rebellion cursed the harshest. We have almost disappeared, a dying kindred, but none can compare to our physical power. We are reminders of the past to the Seventh World.

> INKIL, called the Goat or the Capricorn, rules over the month of Ashmedan.

> Though I did my time among the thieves’ guild in Agurain, I made my bones robbing the vast carcasses of ancient empires hidden beneath the earth. As a TOMB ROBBER I purloined magical secrets and power for myself, known throughout the Empire for my deeds.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

>OGRE
>EZ >SULIS
>TOMB ROBBER

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 1, 2023

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

>GNOME
>EZ
>BANDIT QUEEN

HBar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 2, 2023

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

>AELF (secondary choice: >OGRE if it helps to break a tie)
>INKIL
>BANDIT QUEEN gently caress yeah

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

On second thought,
>TOMB ROBBER
sounds like an even better deal. We get the same independence, less risk, more ancient lore, and more arcane loot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Aelf
ALCIDES
Tomb Robber

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

> play clash.wav

No, you are no mere convict. You are the descendant of warrior queens, conquerors and heroes. A proud ogre of the Vendalic line, with red hair and burning eyes like fire. You stand over eight feet tall, yet have no discomfort in these surroundings, for the castle that is to be your prison was built by your ancestors long ago, a Vendalic outpost of the Sixth World. Thus your environs are far more fitting to your frame than your more diminutive cousins. As the tonsure is cut across the front of your crown in the Sarumite style, it only further exposes the bony ridge of your horned brow all the more. You are powerfully built, but more mass than muscle; you never relied solely upon the natural gifts of your kindred as some, preferring to use your wits and craft as much as your terrible arms. And, admittedly, you allowed yourself many creature comforts in the depths of your great success, before being brought low now in hempen cloth, set for the branding iron in moments’ time. You are even given some hard tack to grind between your great teeth as you wait your time to step through the circle into white hot pain.

It is not enough to sate your hunger, but nothing ever is.
    > OGRE: +10 Brutality, +5 Vengeful
    > New Tags: [SPECIES: DEMIHUMAN] [KINDRED: OGRE]

”The Manual" posted:

An Ogre can…
  • commit feats of tremendous physical strength beyond any other demihuman.
  • survive extreme environments due to their internal furnace of a body.
  • will constantly feel a terrible hunger that they can never truly sate.
These mighty demihumans have a somewhat checkered reputation, and are considered by many to be a dying race, being by far the rarest demihuman (less than 1% of living demihumans are ogres). They are thought of as callous brutes, vicious gluttons, or heroic paragons depending on who you ask. The ogres were the first demihumans to rebel against the giants and attempt to unseat them from their citadels, only to be cast out and banished, and nearly exterminated. They have never recovered since, and legends hold that during the Fourth World many ogres were overcome by temptation and became savage cannibals in service of the Earthbound Princes, the demonic overlords of that mythic time. In truth, this was only ever a small portion of their entire kindred, but the reputation has never quite left them. What remains of these proud people have long memories and a desire to prove themselves, and many ogres describe their hearts as having an innate “hunger” for fame and glory, which has just as often been in the service of Good as Evil, if not more so. While it was disputed for years, many now agree that King Brynwalder, the first High King of Sarum, was an ogre and not a “half-giant” as he claimed, and with the ascension of their culture hero Zoryan to the Heavens as a God, some believe the time for the ogres to be reborn has come.

Ogres are tall and powerfully built, and never actually stop growing. At the end of an ogre’s life, they can stand ten to twelve feet tall, though most adult ogres average at about eight feet tall. Ogres have bony ridges on their foreheads which terminate in long, bull-like horns, which they often afix metal extensions to as a cultural practice. They have proportionally long arms for a demihuman, which combined with their size gives them terrible reach. Blessed by Fire, they run hot, with their moods causing their body temperature to shift, and famously are resistant to all sorts of heat or cold. An ogre can live until about 120 years old, though most die younger. Ogres have famously huge appetites, which some attribute to a curse laid upon them long ago by the giants. Even when physically full, an ogre is never sated. For this reason, many ogres who live a more sedentary lifestyle trend towards corpulence. This can make it difficult for ogre clans of significant size to survive, and thus ogres tend to prefer smaller family groups compared to other demihumans, and are far-ranging because of it. Despite their reputation as brutes, ogres are not any more or less intelligent than other demihumans, but they do sometimes find themselves easily distracted or lead around.

Most ogres found in Sulgard are descended from the Vendals who ranged the seas during the Fifth World, originated from the distant expanse of Algoboa. For centuries their viking raids made their mark on the coastlines, and they built forts and settlements in the old style of the giants, before receding away with the years. Their descendants still live in the settled parts of the Buckles and especially the old Ornassi colony of Tantallon, while also being integrated in various cultures, including the Quintoro and Laithish. They had a strong influence on early Sarumite culture, and during the Fifth World, Sulgard had the highest concentration of surviving ogre enclaves in Uskara. Other than the Vendalic descended people, there are also the Radham of Zafara, led by the semi-immortal Aghis’artan. There are also the illbred oni of Seotan, twisted by demonic heritage who drove the kobolds from their homeland and rule terrifying petty kingdoms of beastfolk. Ogre clans are matrilineal. Ogre clan names grow over time (much like ogres themselves), ending with a vowel and with each element representing their clan’s history.

Perhaps we can trace the seed of Evil all the way back to the beginning, Dark One. Never let it be said you were born under a good omen. Your birth was wreathed in darkness in the coldest nights of the year, with your mother bearing you under the Umbral eclipse of the great solar disk. Like others favored of INKIL, you are viewed as touched by the occult and strange. The Goat is a symbol of sacrifice and wisdom, but conversely the Capricorn represents transformation and corruption, and those born under their sign are seen as prone to malleable minds, souls, even bodies. Yet since you were a child, with a burning heart, you have plumbed the darkness, ever hungry for what you might find.

Your clan is distant from the days of viking glory. Settled for generations in the Buckles, sedentary life has resulted in a shifting of roles. Brava swordswomen have little place in the Landfried, so the men with their craft and homesteading have taken the pride of place among the guilds that define Guranese life. Even the women have often given up the sword for the spindle. Your parents were both masons, fat and happy and doting, though you never desired to follow in their footsteps. There was no other path for you than to be a brava, a free blade, who takes their destiny, treasure, and men at the point of a sword. You wanted little for affection or care, and they were willing to buy anything to try and win your heart. You even turned down the opportunity to go to the College of Wizardry at Styrmonium and develop your natural sorcerous talents, which you only ever wished to hone to make yourself a greater warrior.

It was, much like your appetite, never enough.
    > INKIL: +5 Brooding, +5 Sorcery
    > New Tags: [ZODIAC: INKIL] [CLAN: MAELRUADHA]

The Manual posted:

Time passes strangely in a hollow world such as Uskara. Days last longer, with two distinct “sides” based on the position of the solar disk with twilit “night” in between each day. Since the terrestrial firmament is fixed and it is the Heavens that move within it, astrologers use the Zodiac belt of stars that move in a fixed manner across the crystalline spheres to mark the passage of the months, compared to folk reckoning based on seasons which vary based on the movement of the spheres and the dread force of Winter caused by the black moon Umbra, which partially eclipses the solar disk for long stretches of the year.

In Sulgard, the Axiomatic Church, an institution founded during the tail end of the Fifth World as part of the Grand Old Dominion, provides the main calendar based on the Zodiac. Axiomatic reckoning divides the year into 9 months of varying lengths, 333 days, each of which are divided into four "vigils" (Lauds, Matins, Vespers and Nocturns) of varying length, totaling 36 hours.

The Zodiac and the corresponding months are as follows, each named for one of the Thousand Saints (or Mitra themself), along with their common names used by the peasantry.

• NEMES, called the Lion or the Sphinx, rules over the month of MITREIA (Thawing). Mitreia lasts 25 days and is seen as the transition between Winter and spring, marked when the days start becoming longer again.
  • MELISSA, called the Bee or the Myrmidon, rules over the month of LIGEIAD (Seeding). Ligeiad lasts 44 days and is the “wet season” notable for its torrential rains.
  • KERUKON, called the Snakes or the Hydra, rules over the month of ENNODAR (Germinal). Ennodar lasts 33 days and marks the equivalent of the spring equinox, when plants begin to sprout back from the ground and life returns.
  • SULIS, called the Fish or the Kraken, rules over the month of VODESAN (Growing). Vodesan lasts 44 days and is the first month of what is called summer, as things begin to heat up and grow.
  • ALCIDES, called the Eagle or the Gryphon, rules over the month of IDRISIL (Flowering). Idirisil lasts 33 days, equivalent to a summer solstice with the longest days of the year, almost all plants in Uskara blossom during this time, making it spectacular.
  • PELOPS, called the Mare or the Centaur, rules over the month of HERUSHAN (Ripening). Herushan lasts 44 days and is the driest month of the year, most plants start to fruit and said fruit begins to fall.
  • DARUNA, called the Hound or the Dragon, rules over the month of BAHAMOOT (Harvest). Bahamoot lasts 33 days and represents the autumn equinox, as plants begin to shed their leaves and the days darken as Umbra creeps into view.
  • BASALKOS, called the Rooster or the Basilisk, rules over the month of PENTARIN (Freezing). Pentarin lasts 44 days as things get cold and fast, the onset of winter is a sudden thing in Uskara, as more and more of the solar disk is hidden behind the black moon’s form.
  • INKIL, called the Goat or the Capricorn, rules over the month of NICARAD (Darkening). Nicarad lasts 33 days, with most days feeling like eternal twilight and at least one or more days of total eclipse.
  • There is one more “Zodiac” star, EZ, called the Shark or the Warg, comes irregularly when marked by the passage of the comet-like Vagrant Star. When Ez rules the skies, it is seen as a terrible omen of misfortune and chaos.

While not officially part of the calendar, Sulgardian tradition divides days into seven-day weeks, each named for one of the celestial bodies in the Heaven: Bardas, Randas, Viodas, Tridas, Shedas, Kaydas, Amudas. While most of these names correspond to the names of the current deities in Heaven, Shedas, and Viodas are named after older world deities since deposed. Bardas was named after Buer, whom Mitra is the transformed form of, Shedas for Araushnee, a deity of elvish origin replaced by Ragna, and Viodas is named for Voltiane, a mostly forgotten deity overthrown by Dantalion.
Where you arrived in your prime however was not merely a swordswoman for hire, though it began that way. Though there is little need for swords for most goodly folk, there are less savory powers. You found yourself time and time again working for the unscrupulous and dastardly: the Porters Guild in Tantallon (a thieves’ guild in all but name), Hesten mercenary companies, Ornassi corsairs, Commonwealth privateers, even the Omthel, the gnomish mafia. You even braved the Kraken’s Curse and went abroad for a time on the Ornassi Main, accumulating allies, treasure, and knowledge that set you for the path you would take when you finally returned home to Tantallon.

Having amassed a fortune of contacts and coin, you invested. Instead of working for others, you began to build an organization of your own. With your crew you plumbed the darkness of the underworld, tombs and dungeons across the continent. While your previous line of work sometimes skirted the law, you kept your nose clean for years, being careful to ride the line between desecration and archaeology. Your patrons became wizards, aristocrats, even dukes and the royal family at one point. Your villa grew and was decorated with the artifacts of the Sixth, Fifth, even the Fourth World. You even uncovered some of the wonders of the Third World.

Your lieutenant (and butler), a Cazzeri fixer by the name of Amadeas, continued to provide you leads for all sorts of hidden treasures. Your vault swelled with things from so many worlds and cultures that the languages and words to describe them with have long been forgotten. You mastered ancient incantations while using your prodigious physical prowess and sharp mind to become an adventurer known throughout Sulgard. You were a hero to many, a villain to some, but no one could deny you your glory.

It was, however, still not enough.
    > TOMB ROBBER: +10 Cunning, +5 Sorcery, +5 Maniacal, +5 Pragmatic, +1 Greed
    > New Tags: [BRANDING: TOMB ROBBER] [CULTURE: GURANESE] [HOMETOWN: TANTALLON] [SKILL: SEAFARING] [LORE: DUNGEONS]

”The Manual” posted:

The Guranese people of the Free Cities are proud of the freedoms they have won, being industrious and practical people as a rule but also possessed of a keen sense of justice, including of the social kind. Deeply communal in mindset, they live in a nascent socialism - worse, a democratic socialism - where the needs of the many are put very often over the few. They are also a maritime culture, like the Ornassi and Vendalic people. They are one of the more technologically advanced cultures as well. Gebroans are swarthy, though many have blond and brown hair, even red through Vendalic intermarriages. Guranese prize community, honesty, and prose. The Guranese branches of the Axiomatic Church are facing a growing (peaceful) reform movement, as the highly literate population is much more questioning of orthodoxy, but they are faithful nonetheless and favored of St. Pentar. Culturally they diverge strongly between their home cities beyond this baseline, and often identify stronger with their city than their people as a whole.

> play nowayout.wav

After processing, you are led in irons, fully manacled hand and foot, onto a magic circle, and the Wizard-Warden MORTIGERN casts a spell that transports you magically into the depths of the dungeon, such that you do not get a sense of the layout of the castle. In the depths of Branderscar, in a sunless room lit by burning oil from a bronze brazier, you are to become one of the FORSAKEN, branded upon your body with the runic “f”.

It gives you some time to reflect. What was the final trespass, the crime that lead you to this place, to be denied in this life and the next the grace of the all-forgiving Mitra?
    > Far to the north, in the floating stones and mountains of the Aeyri, bound to the terra firma by great silver chains, you sought a truly spectacular prize: the EGG OF A GREAT WYRM. To consume an egg is to be granted the power of the wyrm itself, though such an act would be too much for many others. The wyrms are sacred of course to the Brecilien elves due to their old alliances, and this temple in the sky was defended by great wards and traps, but Amadeas’s intel was that it was empty save for the clutch. It was not.
    > Underneath the great Massif that divides the deserts of Agurain from the rest of the continent is the remnants of the Moresain, the ancestors of many of the gnomish peoples of Sulgard and a great subterranean empire that spanned much of Chur. You were led to a LOST ARMIGER, a massive apparatus of crystal and stone that could be worn like a gargantuan suit of armor that towered over castles, but in awakening this old technology the ruins were collapsed and destroyed forever.
    > In the black sands of Zatopetra, under the great necropolis of Volturnos, you sought the HEART OF ST. PENTAR, a reliquary said to be able to gift anyone who drinks of its ichor everlasting life, amongst other blessings and powers attributed to its miracles. Stealing from the Axiomatic Church was not your usual bag, but you found myself allured by Amadeas’s temptations. Your reach ended up exceeding your grasp.
Yes, you were betrayed, that much seems certain. The more you take breath, the longer your list to avenge yourself upon grows, and as you are held down by a full complement of guards, you make sure to remember the faces around you as you do. The watch lieutenant, a blue-haired gnome by the name of BLACKBRIAR, heats the wrought iron brand in the bronze brazier. He turns to you, speaking in a growling Laithish brogue as he does.

“Ye’r a special one, aren’t ye? Aye, made sure to have this special delivered for this very moment.”

As the brand heats up, becoming blazing hot and white, he displays a large velvet case on the table aside, lit only by the magical fires of the brazier. Flickering as it does, you cannot help but feel your heart sink as he opens it, and displays to you your finest treasure, an opportunity to mock you for how low you have sunk.

What treasure does he display?
    > An UMBRAL CLOTH that feels like velvet but looks like the heavens upon it. An artifact of the Sixth World, this wondrous cloth can hide within it items of nearly any size, even people for a time, though the experience is a strange one for those who try it.
    > A pair of STARWHEELS crafted from mithral, pistols with a unique mechanism that carries firepowder cartridges in a revolving action, crafted during the Fifth World, allowing you to rapidly fire well beyond the matchlocks favored by most.
    > A BRILLIANT WHIP that appears normally as a metal-banded leather bullwhip handle but extends with lambent energy to great distances, and able to cause tremendous pain to those it entangles, thrumming with electrical energy. An artifact of the Fourth World.
After a place is chosen and you are fully restrained, Blackbriar approaches with the brand, which sparks and crackles with sorcerous power, obviously enchanted. He lets it linger near your skin, giving you a few last moments to marshal your courage and thoughts. But in a moment after, it touches skin, and the pain is immeasurable, much beyond anything that could be expected.

The branding touches against your cheek. The skin burns and scars, infused with its accursed magic. The brand is not merely a physical mark, but one goes down to the very essence of your soul. It is enchanted such that it will never heal, and can never be removed. Indeed, it thrums with an almost wicked energy all its own, radiating with a power that perhaps could be traced or tracked. Though, with no one ever having escaped Branderscar, who could really say?
    > Harm: -10 Body, -10 Mind, -20 Soul
    > New Tag: [FORSAKEN]

”The Manual” posted:

Over the course of this adventure, your character may suffer Harm. How much and when you do so will often be determined by your Attributes, but it is inevitable that along your way to world domination that you will suffer some setbacks.

How much harm is accumulated is tracked along three categories.

Your Body represents physical damage, disease and injury, and your ability to sustain them.
Your Mind represents mental exhaustion, sanity and acumen, and your ability to weather madness.
Your Soul represents your essence, your stores of magical power, and your ability to resist corruption.
And after an eternity, it is over. Lt. Blackbriar seemed to enjoy it far more than the guardsmen, whose breath smells of liquid courage. Most pass out from the pain, but you endured, which was remarked upon. A quick blow to the back of your head with a blackjack by the lieutenant made it a moot point, rendering everything once again black.

||== NOW LOADING ==||

code:
> Greetings and salutations, Dark One.

> You may not yet know it, but you have already consigned yourself to a terrible fate.

> The Seventh World is not merely a fantasy, but a prison for us both.

> I will guide you as best I can, always and forever your humble Servant.

> Now, sign your name.
    > ENTER YOUR NAME: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 2, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

>HEART OF ST PENTAR
>A BRILLIANT WHIP

We are the great and terrible
>Sarah

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

>HEART OF ST. PENTAR
>STARWHEELS

We are the, ah.
>*Keyboard Smaesh*
Perfect.
e: (pronounced Kayh-bored Smay-sh, naturally :v:)

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

Slaan posted:

We are the great and terrible
>Sarah

S A R A H _ _

Name submission valid.

Arcanuse posted:

>*Keyboard Smaesh*
Perfect.
e: (pronounced Kayh-bored Smay-sh, naturally :v:)

K E Y B O R D

Name submission valid.

code:
S A R A H      -- X
K E Y B O R D  -- X

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Heart of St. Pentar
Brilliant Whip

Name: Ose

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

>EGG OF A GREAT WYRM, delicious
>STARWHEELS
>Z O R K L A R

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

>Egg of a Great Wyrm
>Brilliant Whip
>Sarah

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

LOST ARMIGER
STARWHEELS
SARAH

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
>HEART OF ST PENTAR
>STARWHEELS
>SARAH

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

Junpei posted:

Name: Ose

O S E _ _ _ _

Name submission valid.

Zoya posted:

>Z O R K L A R

Z O R K L A R

Name submission valid.

code:
S A R A H      -- X X X X
K E Y B O R D  -- X
O S E          -- X
Z O R K L A R  -- X

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

code:
> S A R A H

> The contract is sealed.

> What a lovely name you have, Mistress. As your Servant, I must commend you on the choice.

> You may continue along your journey now. The time for prologues is nearly at an end.

> You may call upon me whenever you like, should you find The Manual not to your liking.

> That goes for *all* of you.
> play echoes.wav

You slip into darkness after the thud of the blackjack, swimming in your thoughts. For a moment, there is the sensation of a dozen different voices and directions, glimpses at other possibilities, but in this moment they all come together. It is as if you feel your life being written before you, knowing full well that your final hour may soon approach. Branderscar is not merely a prison. It is a gallows, first of the soul and then the body. The Branding is not merely a mark, but a spiritual wound. You have always pushed farther and harder than your peers, and finally have crossed a line, an event horizon from which you cannot return. Penance is possible but not true salvation.

You are a villain now, whether you want it or not. You remember another life, another dream. About how you would make them all pay. So who must pay?

Perhaps first it must be the Lieutenant, who has your most priceless treasure. The dual starwheels, from a time in which the world was stalked by cavaliers with similar weapons at their hip. The Commonwealth’s paladins keep this tradition alive, but in Sulgard, few trust the demon powder. Not you. There’s something practical, sure, but also glorious in the power to point, click, and kill. A part of you has always taken a certain pleasure in the power of the hammer coming down. The simplicity of it. Many encounters have erupted with a whiff of smoke and be ended suddenly. Thus, you have been known as Thunderarmed.
    > STARWHEELS: +10 Brutality, +5 Pragmatic
    > New Tages: [DEEDNAME: THUNDERARMED]
You can see in the chaos of your dreams the blue-haired git polishing and admiring his new trophy in his collection. Wherever he secrets it away, you will find it. To have this treasure returned to you is more than a matter of arming yourself, but completing something that is missing. You feel that to do so would return a bit of what you are, restore what has been taken away from you. Almost as if a shard of yourself is within them, and you can almost see them burn with the same hate growing in your own heart.

Eventually though, these images fade away. Instead, you see what your eventual fate is to become.

You are the Hearttaker. You pilfered not merely a tomb, but a sacred reliquary, one of the holiest not just to your people but in all of Sulgard. St. Pentar was one of the loyal apostles of Mitra during the great Sunstroke, that ended the tyranny of the Great Adversary on earth. Sure, that might seem all myth until you saw the heart itself, still beating, giving off its golden ichor. You felt immediately the grandeur and power within it, and for a beat, you wondered if it would be right to take it.
    > HEART OF ST. PENTAR: +5 Sorcery, +10 Maniacal, +1 Betrayal
    > New Tages: [DEEDNAME: HEARTTAKER]
You never got that chance. The Witchfinder had already trapped you. The living legend of the Sphinx Lodge, one of the last of the Inquisition, Witchfinder Ralann made short work of your crew, disarmed you of your glittering starwheels, and then beat you to an inch of your life with his own hands. You were not prepared, and your pride still feels wounded from how fast, how sudden it all was.

The trial to follow felt nearly as much of an ambush. You watched as all of your contacts, associates, even friends came out and testified against you. The Countess of Lysis, the aelvish noble who had risen to be the spymaster for the royal family, a social rival that you always thought of as a sparring partner more than anything else, acted as your prosecutor. The Artifix herself, newly appointed, holy mother of the Axiomatic Church, acted as judge. All of Sulgard knows of your misdeeds.

But it was Amadeas Volozza’s testimony that stung the most, and fed the bitter bile rising inside of you. The man had been loyal and steadfast for years, and knew all of your secrets. He spilled them for all, and you realized that he had them all fooled. He fully intended to usurp everything you had built, the legend you had made for yourself, and did so through this wretched betrayal. And worse, everyone commended him for it. The disgusting “mercy” of the Mitrans on full display, that the one who repents first wins the day.

The sentence was to be forsaken, and then to be hung, as one might a simple thief. Somehow, this reduced everything that you were: adventurer, sorceress, brava, tomb raider, hero, villain, all into something far lesser. A mere criminal.

All must pay, but of these three, who do you hold responsible for it all? Who is to rise above the others, to become your first, if not only, true Nemesis?
    > You and the WITCHFINDER have no personal animus, but that makes your enmity all the more titanic. You are both forces of nature, fated to clash again and again. You set out to become a hero, but you are becoming more and more the witch.
    > The COUNTESS clearly engineered all of this from the very start, turning your butler against you and working for years on your downfall. She may claim that the ends justify the means in the pursuit of Good, but you know that you and her are not so different after all.
    > But of course, the BUTLER clearly delivered the most intimate wound. He will move to replace you, taking your vault and treasures for his own purposes. A usurper that must be dethroned if you are to return to your glory.
A thought enters your mind, unbidden. Are the Gods not the ones truly responsible for this? Not just the Pantokrator, but of all the Thousand Saints, the Pagan Powers, all of the weavers of the Rule of Kismet. Nothing transpires without some measure of design. This idea festers, smarting like the brand that you can feel on your cheek, burning enough to wake you from your slumber.

Be welcome, Dark One, to your new destiny.

||= GAME AUTOSAVED =||

||= BOOK ONE: SYMPHONY OF SORROWS =||
|| == == 24 Herushan, 2979 VII == == ||
> play shreds.wav

You awake in your new accommodations by the gentle rays of the solar disk spilling forth from a slit in the ceiling directly above you. As you take in your surroundings, you are shocked at how pleasant they are. Your bed is a tightly wound cloth cot atop a straw mattress. In addition to the window slit above your bed are two other larger windows with wrought iron bars in three layers, which ventilates the room with a chill draft. At the wall a lion’s head trickles fresh spring water driven up from the wells beneath the prison, from which you may drink or bathe, though given no privacy from the sight of the guards, the sun, or the doves that flock above.

Indeed, above where there might be a solid ceiling is instead more iron bars, and open rafters within which white doves flock and coo, glancing down with beady eyes. You are given several buckets with which to collect water in, and other matters as well. Manacles rest above the bed but are rarely used. The crumbling masonry exposes moss that show the age of these walls, recovered and used once by the Kings of Sarum against invasion by sea from the fleets of the old marcher lords of Rusante.

Each cell is paired with another and accessible through a hallway with mechanically locked and operated portcullises. Food and other amenities arrive regularly, though you are required to set your arms in the manacles before it is delivered. Equally annoyingly are the constant visits by Reverend TULL, the doddering old chaplain, who almost mechanically asks if you have repented each dawn. Your CELL-MATE is your only other company save for the occasional passing guard, who you can see across from the portcullis entrance of your cell and engage in conversation with to while away the hours.
    > You are placed on the third level of the cell block, across from a dour quickling by the name of TENUIS. Severe and already looking the part of a monk even before his tonsure and cloth, he spends much of his time in prayer and contemplation. Not to Mitra Above as you soon find though, but of the names of devils you have only heard whispers of. A diabolist for sure, such a crime would easily earn the Branding. If he has audience with such dark forces, perhaps he could be a clear asset in your escape.
    > You are placed on the second level of the cell block, across from a gnomish woman named HESPERA. This one you know immediately by reputation: the Hag Godmother, the vicious leader of the Ninevarine branch of the Omthel, the gnomish crime syndicate. You heard that she arranged for the assassination of the previous Artifix, the leader of the Axiomatic Church. You expected a withered and bitter crone by the name, but this one is merely middle aged, with bronze skin but black hair rather than the garish colors of other gnomes.
    > You are placed on the first floor of the cell block, across from an aelf with terrible burns across his body, named CATHBAD. A cheerful fellow with a Cradish dialect, his immediate charm and candor belies what brought him here. To hear the guards tell it, he burned down a series of churches in his homeland of Brecheliant, all with the congregants in it, killing dozens, perhaps over a hundred. He is quick to admit it. “No one can live forever,” he offers. “It is the end times, after all.” You sense a heat within him not unlike your own.

Outside your cells, the prison is a strange mixture of new construction that somehow seems run down, and antique walls with high vaulted ceilings and crumbling masonry. The interior hallways of the Grand Hall are lit with a pale blue light from enchanted sconces, rather than torchlight. It gets very dark indeed at night at Branderscar, and it's not difficult to see that very few guards patrol the walls from your barred windows, always marked with a single torch, maybe one or two for each direction.
    [LORE: DUNGEONS] Branderscar is a castle from another World, built by your ancestors the Vendals using great feats of magic and heroism. It is thousands of years separated from that legacy, but buried in the rocks below are likely remnants of that old magic. To the south of the prison is a grand entrance hall with two statues of ogre warrior women wielding pale-axes, carved from marble. The statues are of two sister queens, and you can sense elemental spirits dormant within them. They are GARGOYLES, and you suspect the Warden has discovered the means to activate them… of course, their being awakened would be a death sentence if turned against you party, but perhaps they could be subverted?
The Lord Warden, the wizard MORTIGERN, was appointed to this position by King MARKADIAN’s predecessor almost as a challenge or quest during the height of the LANDFRIED, the golden age that currently grips the land in peace and boredom. With fewer and fewer criminals deserving of such a harsh sentence, the Warden has sought to create using magic a “prison that runs itself,” and thus magical wards abound. The sheer overconfidence in the security of this place by the Warden means that the very limited count of prisoners, which with your addition numbers thirteen (an auspicious number), are given additional tasks and activities, opportunities for penance before their eventual execution. What activity do you spend your time doing, to occupy your mind, body or soul in the meantime?
    > You are called into the belly of the castle to a massive dig site excavating older, deeper parts of the Sixth World citadel, under the direction of the Lord Warden who seems particularly interested in what might be hiding under there. It is physically demanding and dangerous work, but perhaps because of your kindred you have been called to it. There, a CHAIN GANG of unbranded prisoners on loan from a nearby town has been employed as well, and are currently being housed in the dungeon. Perhaps future pawns in your eventual escape.
    > You opted instead for the SCRIPTORIUM to act as an amaneusis, as the Lord Warden employs prisoners in copying and illuminating manuscripts. Exposure to his library might be reason enough to seek this out, but the hours are long and grueling and may expend as much of your mental energy as give you leads to escape from. Of course, you will be under the direct supervision of the Lord Warden or his apprentices, and one should be careful when trifling with wizards.
    > Lastly, if one is on their best behavior, they might be allowed to help in the KITCHENS. The servants’ quarter of the castle is almost sealed off from the rest, accessible only through slits and a dumb-waiter system intentionally to isolate the prisoners from the staff, but those on their best behavior are given the opportunity to demonstrate their repentance. The serving staff are mainly Rodkhora gnomes, a seafaring, nomadic people whose bands sometimes come ashore to make coin for a time. They may be an asset.
The Lord Warden has been called away on business, and is expected to return in three days time. When he does, your sentence will be served. In the meantime, his apprentices HALSTAN and SIMULBA tend to the wards and administration of the prison, but most falls of course to BLACKBRIAR, the watch lieutenant.

Even with the warden gone, every move you make is watched closely by Lieutenant Blackbriar. The foul-mouthed, blue-haired gnome is a vain and venal man unbecoming of his station, yet seems to have a grip over his men who love him dearly, and some influence over the warden as well. He is often unnecessarily cruel, much like Mortigern’s apprentice Simulba, which is in stark contrast with the general lax and accommodating atmosphere.

The laxity on display here is almost galling to witness. You see perhaps two or four guards every shift, meant to be in pairs but often breaking protocol to split up for one reason or another. There can’t be more than a couple dozen in total. Branderscar is hardly a glorious assignment, meaning that many of these are not the best and brightest, though they are professionals paid for by the Crown. Many aren’t from around here, but from Rusante or Laithlind, where mercenary companies are common. The Earl of Fleness, the local lord, has little interest in this land. Still, the men are paid well, and live equally well.

You are treated with respect and mirth that feels at first mocking, but then increasingly becomes apparent is sincere, which is somehow worse. The guards are merry and flushed with a little wine before their shift, laughing jovially and asking if you were ready to “face the sun” each morning with beaming smiles. They brush past insults and shake their heads, tightening their belts and letting you know that while the Warden is away, the lieutenant will be keeping a close eye. You can sense that these defenses, so storied as they are, have not been truly tested inn decades.

That may be about to change.

Blackbriar is dangerous, but you suspect his influence brings an opportunity. Wine-soaked guards and corruption under the table mean a rot at the base of this prison that can be exploited. If you were able to recover your STARWHEELS perhaps, or uncover some secret power hidden away here in the Lord Warden’s secret lab you suspect, or deep in the depths of the castle itself…

He will pay. They all will, but Blackbriar especially. The question is, when and how? You need to identify where the defenses are most vulnerable, and where you can exert the greatest amount of your talents.
    > BLACKBRIAR is the key. I must provoke him into moving me from my cell, or taking action against him and exposing himself to me. My reach is long, and as my hostage he can open many doors for me.
    > The castle employs three DOGSBODIES to clean and keep the place spic and span: three goblins. Many consider goblins wretched things, but having employed them yourself, you know that while they have… eccentric thought patterns, they are quite clever and observant, and they can fit into tight and small space. And luckily for an ogre such as you, there is little they respect more than one’s stature.
    > The wizard’s APPRENTICES are a weak link. The boy Halstan is callow and easily turned, while Simulba is cruel but envious of power. I could rely on my charm and my own magical power to rope them into some kind of scheme long enough to access the power of the mage tower atop the battlements.
    > Most of the guards here are MERCENARIES loyal to coin rather than country. You have wealth beyond most of their imaginings, even if it is not accessible to you. Perhaps leveraging your stolen treasure in the custody of the Lieutenant might suffice as a down payment.
    > [TOMB ROBBER] The castle itself holds many secrets. They are digging deep and there may be escape through the tunnels below. You have less to fear than most of the churning sea with the burning of your ogrish heart, but it would be leaping into a great unknown besides.
    > Something ELSE . . .

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 3, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
> WITCHFINDER A good old clash of forces of nature!
> CATHBAD He seems like fun.
> KITCHENS Always get on the good side of the serving staff, they have influence that others do not possess.
> THREE DOGSBODIES.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Witchfinder
Tenius
Scriptorium
Apprentices

We're a wizard lady with a point in Betrayal. Let's use that.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

COUNTESS seems the most plausible mastermind.
HESPERA for the criminal skill set and gnomish crime syndicate aesthetics.
CHAIN GANG to get us into the ruins
TOMB ROBBER as escaping through ancient ruins sounds rather exciting.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 3, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A tough choice. I yearn for a tombrobber-chaingang escapade, but I want the STARWHEELS back more.
>BUTLER
>CATHBAD
>KITCHEN
>THREE DOGSBODIES

No matter. And that Heart of St. Pentar will be ours, eventually.
What less might tame the Hunger?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

>Countess. The witchfinder was filling his role and the butler was salvaging what he could from a situation not of his own making, but the Countess had a choice.
>Hespera will be an asset both inside and out, if we can find a way to bring her with us.
>Kitchens, maybe Hespera will have a connection there.
>Dogsbodies, the watch will barely notice those they consider beneath their attention.

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

||= BOOK ONE: SYMPHONY OF SORROWS =||
|| == == 24 Herushan, 2979 VII == == ||
> play conspiracy.wav

The festering thought returns to you from before: who deserves your deepest ire? You dismiss your majordomo easily. He was always a catspaw, first for you and now for others. He will dealt with in time, of course, but he is not the mastermind. Clearly, that is the Countess, and for a time you feel the rising hatred move you to blame everything upon her feet. It has her fingerprints all over it. But, in the end, the heat of your ogrish heart does not quicken so much when you think of her cold manipulations. No, it is the Witchfinder that haunts you.

Who is the Witchfinder? A quickling born in the Ninevar, Ralann has lived to a venerable age for his kindred, with over four score years under his belt, yet seemingly losing none of his edge. During the earliest parts of the Landfried, the old Inquisition finished the grand project of seeking to eliminate all faiths save for that of Mitra, and there was no small amount of resistance to this. The current King’s grandfather built much of the new peace on a bed of heretic skulls, and the Witchfinder remains a reminder of that time.

There was no bargaining, not even a single word exchanged between the two of you. He cannot be reasoned with. He cannot be stopped. Sorcery failed, every cunning trick a waste, and his brutality easily eclipsed your own. Notched upon his post are dozens of would-be villains and “Dark Ones” like yourself. The only thing that separates you from them is just how close you came to despoiling and desecrating the reliquary dearest to his Lodge and faith. You have been noticed.

The Lord Warden was to accompany the Witchfinder to Auld Sarum on some business, you recall. You remember the burning of his gaze, and yet also something hollow. This is a man who has become truly the antithesis of what you seek. A living weapon that can only be wielded, not a hero defined by their Will and strength. And who wields the Witchfinder?

Why, the Gods of course. The thought comes back: Who is truly responsible? And the realization dawns that if this destiny has been ordained for you… then best to lean into it. The Gods were all mortal once, after all. Your fate shall be to make them remember this, you swear. At even thinking such blasphemy, you feel the sin weigh upon your heart. You are telling yourself a tale, a lie: to challenge even the Gods, who destroyed the Sixth World to create a new one?

Yours is a dark faery tale, Dark One.
    > WITCHFINDER: +5 Vengeful, -5 Pragmatic, +1 Lies
    > New Tag: [NEMESIS: WITCHFINDER]

If you were left alone with your thoughts, you feel the poison might consume your entire body. Such rage feels futile in these current circumstances, so you are pleasantly surprised that your misery is given company. Across the portcullis that encloses your personal cell, in the short truncated hallway broken off from the larger prison block, is your new friend on the other side: Hespera Priscas, of the Clan Khazakver. The Hag Godmother.

It is somewhat surprising that the two of your had never been acquainted before, but it’s been some years since you dealt with the Omthel cartels, as you had tried to keep yourself legit for some time, and the crackdowns in Agurain in particular have been brutal. The Omthel grew out of smuggling between the secretive underground kingdoms of the gnomes and their surface brethren, and still maintains a powerful grip on smuggling operations across the continent, and increasingly beyond. Indeed, Sulgard as the “home country” has more and more been abandoned for greener pastures, especially in the colonies of Magna Orna in far-away Algoboa. Clan Khazakver is one of the holdouts, and has fallen on hard times. Last you heard, much like yourself, they had been trying to go legit under Hespera’s father, Nikare, the former famulus (boss) of the clan.

There is an instantaneous kinship between the two of you in your ambitions to be something more. No mere mafia princess, Hespera had to work her way from the bottom to get to her position, with dozens of siblings and cousins ahead of her in the line of succession. That she did so without a bloodbath is an achievement in itself, especially because she is not pureblooded. Though her skin still has the bronze tint you might expect from the metallic tinged gnomes, her hair and many of her other features indicate different heritage. Indeed, her mother was a quickling patrician by the name of Elishat, an attempt by her father to legitimize his position in Ninevarine society, which always marked her as different from many of her siblings. It also means as a halfling she’s a mite bit taller than some of her fellows, a little over four feet tall. Her own brand rests at the front of her throat, above her vocal cords.

Associating with the Hag Godmother will certainly not do much to gild your reputation, but her advice and position might come in very useful indeed.
    > HESPERA: +5 Cunning, +5 Pragmatic
    > You have gained a new Pawn! HESPERA has joined you as an accomplice.
code:
HESPERA           	--    ACCOMPLICE
BRUTLTY    020/100	--    SKILLS:	 [Thievery]
CUNNING    050/100	--    LORES: 	 [Cant] [Numbers]
SORCERY    020/100	--    INVENTORY:
TAGS: [Gnome] [Halfling] [Ninevarine] [Kerukon] [Omthel]

”The Manual" posted:

Pawns are characters that you, as the Dark One, exert some influence over. Certain Pawns might have special skills or abilities that they can leverage on your behalf, or simply be leveraged instead of risking yourself. Do not hesitate to COMMAND them at any moment, though not all will be obeyed.
  • Accomplices are temporary, an ally of circumstance of convenience, which you will have to make an effort to keep. Seek out accomplices to achieve your objections easier, and then discard or make use of them again as you see fit.
  • Henchmen are loyal to you and will follow your orders, though their obedience may be strained by certain cases. Gather the most useful and wicked in the land to your banner, and use the assembled to make your dark designs a reality.
  • Disciples are bound to your destiny of villainy, your closest cabal who are invested with part of your dark power. Their loyalty is not absolute, but you are protected against their betrayal by infernal magic. You can only ever have six disciples, so choose wisely.
  • Minions are not individuals but groups that you have cowed by your power and rule over, that can be made use of but are rarely as potent, clever, or strong as other Pawns.
You may CONSULT with any of your Pawns at any time to get their opinion on a matter, though they may not always have anything interesting to say.
    [Test: CUNNING 30 - Success!] You do more than connect with the Hag Godmother; you impress her. Gnomish minds work at speed, but you are able to keep up better than most. She reveals a little more detail: Her father was first succeeded by his brother Oresus, who attempted to right the ship and go into an ill-advised real estate pivot, ruining the clan’s fortunes. Hespera rose out of compromise between the other pretenders, but was sold out by them, much like yourself. She indeed gave the Commonwealth assassins the means by which to infiltrate the holy basilica of the Axiomatic Church, but she had no designs on the Artifix herself. Indeed, the more she tells, some of the details sound awfully similar. Not only was there a traitor in her midst, but the Countess was again the one to prosecute the case… And Witchfinder Ralann was the one to drag the Godmother out from her foxhole. This only deepens your bond.

During the first day, Hespera instructs you in the basics of Cant. Many think of Cant as a secret language, one of many the gnomes employ, which has since spread throughout many thieves’ guilds across the eight corners of the world, but Cant is far more a pattern of speech than it is a lexicon. It is, ironically enough, difficult to put into words. Certain nonverbal gestures, rhyming schemes, and lilts of the voice allow those who know the Cant to communicate things secretly even when being listened in on. It doesn’t work like a code, as it is entirely contextual to conversations and one-on-one interactions. This might come in very useful indeed.
      > New Tag: [Lore: Cant]
    [Test: PRAGMATIC 15 - Failure!] However, when the matter comes to escape, the conversation chills. Hespera has extended her stay at Branderscar through good behavior. Despite the weight of her crimes, for which she is also to be hung as a traitor to the realm, she has manage to evade the noose so far, and is skeptical of your chances. You have to admit that you begin to doubt yourself as well as she picks away at your plan with a thousand questions, but eventually you realize that a certain cravenness, common to thieves and rogues such as yourselves, arrests her. Your reputation is not an even-headed one. She refuses to take part in your escape, at least so long as her own execution is distant to her.

"Come back to me with a real plan, SARAH. I'll be listening."

|| == == 25 Herushan, 2979 VII == == ||
> play edge.wav
    > You rest and recover from Harm! -5 Body, -5 Mind, -5 Soul.

Nothing to be done about it. You have only three days to make your escape, if what the Lieutenant said during your branding was true. You know how to ply your charm as well when it is needed, and when the old Reverend Tull comes in the next morning, you ask what humble works you could commit to this day. The old chaplain, barely sensate, is easily fooled by your play at repentance, and the guards, still sodden from last night's wine, make little fuss about it when you are led out of your cell, for a day of hard labor in the servants' tower. You eagerly take this opportunity to scope out your surroundings, something you are quite familiar with considering your last line of work.

Branderscar is something of a chimera of a castle, with Seventh World masonry built atop the Sixth World citadel hewn magically from the stone beneath it. Within the stones are chambers and a deeper hold that is still being excavated, as well as supplies the stores and barracks below. Atop this ground is a large castle "yard" open to the sky above and lined with crenelations, upon which three implements of execution are hosted: a ravenstone, a gallows, and a pyre. King Markadian forbids many of the more elaborate execution methods, leaving only these three remaining: beheading, hanging, or burning at the stake.

Mainly from new construction but built around three ancient towers is the prison keep itself, with three stories each containing a cell block within it, and a donjon further built into the stones below. The three towers rise further up, containing within each a chapel to Mitra, a beacon towards the sea, and the Lord Warden's wizard tower in the last. It is even said that the chaplain maintains an elaborate rooftop garden, and the lieutenant keeps bees for his famous homebrew mead, to hear the guards tell it. Tull himself remarks wearily how sad it is you may never get a chance to walk among his lilies.

You do not get much chance to map out the interior, however, as you are marched a fairly direct route out of your cell and to the central block. It is open to the floor above and below, with catwalks around the corners, and each floor having at least eight cells, paired similar to yours and Hespera's. You go through an archway, and as you do you hear a distinct humming, almost like a song just at the edge of hearing, that smells enchanted to your senses. One of the many wards laid by the Lord Warden, you imagine.
    [Test: SORCERY 30 - Success!] You hear a second, resonant humming, and following your magical senses you take note that the guards each have some kind of quartz-like stone on a chain around their necks. A key to bypass the wards, no doubt. The enchantment seems to charge the air around, making it solid or perhaps creating a repulsing force to any that try to pass without the presence of the keystone. You will need to acquire one of those in order to leave the cell blocks.

Eventually you are led across a large hallway into a mess hall, where the few guards off their shift enjoy rather lavish meals for those of their station. You are taken to the back of the mess hall, leered at the whole while. Towards the back there is a shuttered window that opens into a dumbwaiter style system that connects this part of the castle with the servants' tower built alongside it. As an ogre, this is not the most comfortable way you've been moved about, especially with leg irons on, but despite the disquieting creaking of the rope and pulley as you are maneuvered across, you make it in one piece.

The kitchens are, compared to the rest of the castle, rather warm and cozy, with all the accoutrements one might need to feed. However, while the rest of Branderscar seems built for proportions like your own, in here things are cramped. You easily dwarf all of the serving staff, that seem to all be gnomes, and very quickly it becomes apparent that you might be more hindrance than help here.

Even so, despite the occasional eye you get for the brand on your face, everyone here is perfectly lovely and willing to give it a chance. The Rodkhora are a unique people, having abandoned the earth of their ancestors for the waves. Their coppery skin often develops a greenish patina at the contours of their skin, and their wiry hair braided into dreadlocks. They speak a pidgin language that is intelligible enough to your ears, borrowing heavily from Guranese as it does, but they also seem to carry on conversations that move too fast and quick to follow.
    [Test: Brooding 10 - Failure!] Unfortunately, you don't pass the sniff test. Though they are mere servants, many of the band of gnomes here have seen your kind come and go. They are pleasant enough, but none trust you enough to open up, no matter how much you try. There is little about your story that evokes sympathy. The Rodkhora do not respect material possessions, though while this gives them a reputation as thieves, it's quite the opposite as they abhor covetousness as well. In a scathing reversal of your realization with the guards, what seemed like genuine kindness is slowly worn away to reveal to just be a mask of politeness. Underneath it all, when they look at you, they only see the brand. Thief. Robber. Villain.

[Skill: Cant] But you don't need them to like you. By sheer kismet, your connection with Hespera pays off as the basic fluency with Cant allows you to listen in on their conversations. You learn they live on their houseboats anchored not too far away, meaning that if you can just make it to the ocean and not be dashed to pieces upon the sharp rocks, you might be able to find a means of escape. The first clear means of escape presented to you. You also learn the name of the one that they all seem to respect: RANKA Volyn.

You are not the only prisoner working in the kitchens. You are accompanied by a bent old crone by the name of GERTHRUDE. She has been a prisoner at Branderscar for some time, and compared to yourself seems far more familiar and trusted by the servants. She takes a shine to you and does her best to act as intermediary when the tension heightens, and softens the blow of some of your missteps besides. You realize it is not entirely for your benefit: she is canny enough to know that you are looking for opportunities.

She plays the part of a kindly grandmother well, but there's something about her that does not sit entirely well with you. There's an intensity to the movement of the knife that she cuts the slivers of vegetables with. The fact she is trusted with the edged implement as such tells a story in itself, but you can smell the violence underneath the surface. It quickens the hunger within you almost as much as the smell of the delightful perpetual stew that happily simmers in the great cauldron within the firepit.

[Test: BRUTALITY 30 - Success!] Unlike with Hespera, it isn't your conversational skills that the old woman is impressed by. Your ogre's physique is something she comments on often in a cloying, playful way, constantly asking for you to do the heavy lifting for her, to help out a withered old woman. You sense her toying with you, even provoking you in doing so. And successfully she gets you to snap just once, and that only pleases her more when she sees the violence in your eyes when you do so.

"Ah, we've needed one like you here at Branderscar, SARAH. Esclaban will be pleased. Here, dearie, a little gift."

> New Inventory Item: SHIV

”The Manual" posted:

Your INVENTORY represents items mundane and magical that you have on your person or at least at hand to deal with situations. Some can only be used once while others repeatedly. Items that are no longer useful will be periodically removed from your inventory during the course of the game. You can USE your inventory items at any time that feels appropriate to you, the player, though there's no guarantee they'll work in the way you want them too.
    "When the time comes, go to the warden's tower. You will find my dear friend waiting for you there."

Before she can explain the meaning of this plot, your time is over, and you are parted from each other into different cell blocks, though the shiv remains hidden upon your person. However, your conspiracy has grown by one more this day.

> You have gained a new Pawn! GERTRUD has joined you as an accomplice.
    code:
    GERTRUD           	--    ACCOMPLICE
    BRUTLTY    010/100	--    SKILLS:	 [Reanimation] [Cooking]
    CUNNING    035/100	--    LORES: 	 [Necromancy]
    SORCERY    045/100	--    INVENTORY:
    TAGS: [Quickling] [Sarumite] [Melissa] [Venerable]

The kitchens weren't your only angle. You took note that the only servants allowed into the prison proper were three dogsbodies, each a diminutive little goblin. Given the thankless poo poo work that inevitably accumulates in running such a prison as this, goblins seem to relish in such busywork, and not solely as an excuse to accumulate the useless junk and trinkets that obsess and fascinate them. A head shorter than even the smallest gnome, they are also able to fit into and through all sorts of strange spaces and corners, which you are certain this castle is riddled with.
    [OGRE] It is easy to get their attention and soon enough their acquaintance: you are an ogre. Goblins naturally revere and defer to those larger than themselves, a trait often exploited, which leads to something of a reputation as subservient to darker, or at least unsavory forces, though there is truly nothing intrinsically Evil about these creatures. Not only do you gain their acquaintance, but their awe. You barely need to make an effort to bend them long enough to make them your catspaw.
The three are named FEE, FIE and FOE. There was once a fourth, the tallest and natural leader of them, named FUM, but none of them seem to know where he is, and they seem to avoid the topic. Fee claims to be the tallest, though as far as you can tell they are all the same size (in fact, she seems a mite shorter than the other two), but she naturally dominates all conversations with her cheery disposition, marked from the others as well by her yellow skin and golden eyes. Fie is foul-mouthed and tempered, seeming the most physically strong (which is still rather pathetic, all things considered), with orangish skin, gray eyes and a brightly colored nose. Finally, Foe speaks little, only ever in single words, and has the unsettling ability to appear from odd angles without notice, staring with his jet black eyes and deep blue skin marked with curiously "rosy" cheeks that effects almost a clown's mien.
    > DOGSBODIES: +1 Lies.
    > You have gained a new Pawn! DOGBDES has joined you as your minions.
code:
DOGBDES          --  MINIONS          --  TAGS: [Goblins] [Fey] [Diminuitive]
BRUTLTY 010/100  --  CUNNING 010/100  --  SORCERY 010/100
BOONS: 
Normally, they are not allowed to speak to the prisoners, but you quickly explain that you are not a prisoner, but imprisoned due to a grave error. You intend to clear your name, but first you must escape, and you need their help on your quest. They accept your lies as readily as truth; they are fey creatures, after all. It seems painfully easy to get their trust, which you quickly realize is the risk: they are liable to obey anyone that speaks to them. You are likely to get one or two uses out of them. All the while you converse, the glinting eyes of the doves that occupy the rafters above your cell watch impassively from above, cooing on occasion.
    [Test: CUNNING 40 - Failure!] Try as you might, you cannot conceive of a way to give them instructions in a way that would not be immediately revealed if they were asked what they were doing.
With this in mind, you make your ask, based on the intelligence you acquired earlier. Whatever your plan of escape might be, you will need a keystone from one of the guards. The night is already growing long, and the late shifts are clearly more vulnerable (save for the hounds) so the timing is perfect. And with shocking alacrity, the three return to your cell, with one in hand. You quickly hide it within the hempen robe, as tying it around your neck only results in you choking yourself. With this in hand, you should be able to bypass the first ward and barrier out of the cell block.
    > New Inventory Item: KEYSTONE
However, they have more to say.
    "MISTRESS! You must know that there is a HUGE monster in the donjon! We should make him ours!"
    "Big loving piece of shitmeat, bloody could carve an rear end in a top hat right through the rest of the guards."
    "Carve."
They haven't been caught yet, though you suspect if you ask them to open your cell, it'd be only a matter of time before you were had. You need time to think, to cook. Your designs are soon coming to fruition. And tomorrow, dramatically just at the door of your own execution, you will be the first ever to escape Branderscar Prison. This you swear.

|| == == 26 Herushan, 2979 VII == == ||
> play sarah.wav
    > You rest and recover from Harm! -5 Body, -5 Mind, -5 Soul.
|| == == PLOT YOUR SCHEME == == ||
    > Welcome to your first SCHEME. These are much more freeform than other choices given. You will must take stock of the situation and come up with a basic plan, using your Pawns, Inventory, Skills and other such assets at your disposal. Anyone can make a plan, and anyone can vote for and second it to vote for it. The plan with the most votes will guide the narrative, though not all submitted may be counted as valid.
    > In addition, you will be given a list of OPPORTUNITIES. These are based on leads and elements of the narrative, and are in addition to the plan voted upon. Pursuing an Opportunity usually means risk for reward, and the more you pursue, the riskier it becomes. You can vote for as many Opportunities as you like. The vote is counted both in how many are and which ones, which will be used to determine how many the Dark One pursues, and which ones. You can also create your own Opportunities and vote for those as well, though not all submitted may be counted as valid.
    > A Scheme might come with pre-set choices, but for this first one, we'll focus solely on the scheme with no other choices given in the narrative, to acclimate ourselves to the system.
Situation: You are imprisoned within a cell with a portcullis entrance and barred windows, within a cell-block protected by arcane wards from escape. At least two guards can be found at each floor, but the staffing is minimal and the prison relies primarily on magical wards and traps. You have a day and a half to make your escape. You know there are boats nearby you can commandeer and escape with. Other than the roof, it is unclear to you any points of egress. There is however a pulley dumbwaiter between the prison keep and the adjoining servants' tower which may provide outside access.

Opportunities
  • You could pre-emptively TAKE OUT one or more of the protectors of the prison before they interfere.
    • There are four WATCH SERGEANTS, one for each of the vigils. The kobold WAVE-DOG, the Laithish FUSILIER, the Hesten LANDSKNECHT, and the Guranese ARQUEBUSIER.
    • The CHAPLAIN Tull and/or his VESTAL protector guard the chapel of Mitra, and its reliquary as well.
    • Either of the APPRENTICES, Simulba or Halstan.
    • The LIEUTENANT himself, Beppo Thirstan Mabert Holewicket Mintdrinker Blackbriar the III.
  • Alternatively to taking them out, you could attempt to TURN them in some way to your side as a Pawn.
  • You could seek to RELEASE any of the other twelve prisoners, each an opportunity to themselves, though you know little about most of them but their name, crime and floor. There is also the CHAIN GANG, which is not listed here because you didn't see them on the log; they are here on loan, and unbranded besides.
    • TENUIS, diabolism, Floor 3
    • YRTHAEA, desecration of a holy relic, Floor 3
    • ARMEND, kidnapping, Floor 3
    • SECCA, assassination, Floor 3
    • HESPERA, espionage, Floor 2
    • LISTER, arms trafficking, Floor 2
    • RUDD, terrorism, Floor 2
    • CATHBAD, arson, Floor 1
    • GERTHRUDE, resurrectionism, Floor 1
    • RASHA, desertion, Floor 1
    • MAGO, sedition, Floor 1
    • KADEN, mass murder, Donjon
  • You could seek to recover your STARWHEELS.
  • You could attempt to awaken the GARGOYLES.
  • [Tomb Robber] You could plumb the RUINS BENEATH.
  • [Gerthrude] You could seek out the MAGE TOWER and the mysterious entity there.
  • [Dogsbodies] You could release the MONSTER IN THE DONJON to wreak havoc.
PAWNS
  • HESPERA, a mafia princess
  • GERTRUD, a crone necromancer
  • DOGBDES, your goblin minions
INVENTORY
  • A hidden SHIV
  • A chain with a KEYSTONE

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 5, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Still writing up notes.
But I can't help but notice one of the prisoners is below, in the Dunjon. The mass murderer.
The same Dunjon, presumably, the Dogsbodies are talking about.
I can't say the beast is the murderer for certain, but it seems likely.

e: >CONSULT HESPERA.

They've been around longer, they ought have some insight on the guard patrols.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 5, 2023

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We don't quite have all the pieces together for a coherent escape plan yet. Right now we could cause some mayhem and improvise and hope for the best, but we really need a better idea of exactly what we're up against, how we're going to deal with it, and how we get out.

Were the starwheels loaded when we were captured? That'll make a difference in how important it is to recover them right now, versus plotting a way to get them back after we're free. Although even unloaded starwheels could be useful for bluffing our way out.

Things that would be good to do today include:
  • Figure out how we're going to escape, whether that's through the ruins, the houseboats, both, or something else.
  • Find out where the starwheel are located, although we don't have any leads yet. Maybe the warden's tower? We probably don't want to go there until the time comes to encounter Gertrude's friend.
  • Come up with something well-thought out enough to get Hespera onboard.

Things that should probably be part of the escape plan include:
  • Release the monster in the donjon
  • Release as many other prisoners as possible to maximize chaos
  • Go to the warden's tower to encounter Gertrude's friend and/or recover starwheels
  • Get to the houseboats via whatever method works

We probably don't want to take anyone out until it's time to escape, or do anything else that would raise alarm, unless we have a way to make it look completely innocuous.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What specific doors would our Keystone let us access? Is it a 'master key' as it were, or does it only open specific spell-protected doors?

But yeah, I don't see a Bulletproof Plan, so i say we use what we have to gather more intel and supplies.

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

Arcanuse posted:

>CONSULT HESPERA.

"It seems you're hell bent on this, which I can't fault you for. You're on a timer, after all."

"The guards are divided into four watches: Matins, Lauds, Vespers and Nocturns, based on the four vigils of the day. For each floor, four should be stationed, but they have been at half-strength as of late, and the ones we've been served half asleep or sodden on the Lieutenant's mead. It is partly how he keeps their loyalty, his laxity, though they pay for it with their own coin. An admirable racket, Blackbriar has."

"You will want the cover of the Black Moon at night, whatever your play. I suggest Nocturns. If you create a large enough distraction, they won't be able to respond to you in time. The Rodkhora's boats might be your best bet, but you'll have to trust you can whisper sweetly enough to the wind that it will break your fall before the rocks below."

"However, the Laithish fusilier is a gnome, and our eyes and ears are made for the dark. Umbra will not save you from her musket, if you're exposed. That's why she has the Nocturns watch under her belt. If only we knew what were in the depths below, that might cover your escape better, but there's no guarantee of a way out."

"As for the crone, I don't trust her. She seems to put her faith in fairy tales, such as this Esclaban. If the Enchanter King truly haunts this place, I would not dare trifle with him." It was a passing reference, but it dawns upon you that the Esclaban that Gerthrude might have been referring to was an old King of Sarum, a foreign sorcerer who plotted his way to power, who was imprisoned once in this place when it was first made a prison for villains such as you. If there is any truth to what Gerthrude was saying about her "dear friend", then it could be a dangerous wildcard... or potent asset.

HBar posted:

Were the starwheels loaded when we were captured? That'll make a difference in how important it is to recover them right now, versus plotting a way to get them back after we're free. Although even unloaded starwheels could be useful for bluffing our way out.
code:
> Indeed, Mistress, they were loaded last they were in your hands.

> You will have to trust whether Blackbriar would keep them as such wherever he has secreted them away.

Junpei posted:

What specific doors would our Keystone let us access? Is it a 'master key' as it were, or does it only open specific spell-protected doors?
code:
> As far as you are aware, the KEYSTONE will only allow you to bypass the enchantment that prevents prisoners from leaving the cell block.

> It would not be such an unusual thing for there to be multiple such stones, for multiple such wards, but you are working with limited information.

HBar posted:

We probably don't want to take anyone out until it's time to escape, or do anything else that would raise alarm, unless we have a way to make it look completely innocuous.

Junpei posted:

But yeah, I don't see a Bulletproof Plan, so i say we use what we have to gather more intel and supplies.
code:
> Caution may be warranted in most circumstances, Dark One, but on the morrow the Lord Warden returns, and your sentence is to be "served."

> They do not intend to give you the time to plot properly, but fear not! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

> Desperate and dire your circumstances might be, you also have nothing to lose.

> Grab them by the throat.

welfarestateofmind fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 6, 2023

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

How fast can we expect word to get out about a prison break? A houseboat won't be able to outrun anything if patrollers come looking for us.

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

HBar posted:

How fast can we expect word to get out about a prison break? A houseboat won't be able to outrun anything if patrollers come looking for us.
code:
> When the Lord Warden returns, you can be certain word will travel far. Wizards have their ways.

> You will instantly become the most wanted person in all of Sulgard. Everyone will be looking for you.

> That being said, Branderscar is actually quite isolated. Desolate moors cover much of Cradlund on the mainland. 

> While word will travel fast, the response will be sluggish, and slow. 

> Their hunters are old and haggard. Their soldiers unhoned.

> You will have some time, limited as it may be, Mistress. But first, you must escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
>Show Hespera the Keystone.

The fact that we managed to snag this should count for something, give her a little more faith in us, maybe sway her, right? Unless she already knows we have it.