Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

The Bone Comics are a cult classic series from like the 1990s that I liked as a kid. They still hold up pretty well, and also Tell Tale Games made a point and click episodic adventure based on them recently like decades ago.

General Information

This is an open setup mafia game for 11 players. Standard Mafia rules apply: day vote, night kill, role-based night actions, etc.

Eliminations will be by majority vote with hammer once majority is reached. No-elimination days are possible.

Rules and Regulations Boilerplate
  • Standard rules apply.
  • Discord is required to play. Please join https://discord.gg/w6GkWecU (observers also welcome).
  • Do not edit posts except to fix pronouns.
  • You may post at night as long as you're still alive cuz yolo
  • Do not quote or copy-paste out-of-thread information like moderator messages or private chats. Paraphrasing the contents of such messages is okay.
  • Do not discuss the game with anyone outside of authorised channels.
  • Do not fake day actions.
  • Try not to lurk. I don't plan on enforcing cuz that ain't really my way. But I reserve the right to replace you or mod-kill you if you’re not able to participate to a degree that’s affecting the overall playability of the game (and you’re not communicating about it)
  • Have fun and be excellent to each other..

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, always remember that your mental well-being is more important than a forum game. While antagonism and deceit are inherent features of social deduction games, there are lines that should not be crossed that may be highly personal. If you feel stressed out, IRL angry, or in any other way discomforted beyond what you feel is part of the game, do not hesitate to reach out and say so. Nobody will think ill of you if you have comments or concerns, or want to leave the game at any point, before the game or during the game. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to the game-runner: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1. AFancyQuestionMark
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. fool of sound
  4. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  5. Maerlyn (she/her)
  6. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
  7. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  8. Shellception (She/her)
  9. Somberbrero (He/him)
  10. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
  11. Zoya

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Team Boneville (Town)

Victory Condition: You win when all threats to Town have been eliminated

Fone Bone

After your cousin PHONY was run out of Boneville for egregious corruption and embezzlement, you ended up lost in a strange valley full of bizarre creatures and mysterious ongoings. An affable hopeless romantic, you hope to reunite with your BONE cousins and live happily ever after with the charming farm girl, Thorne. Despite your down-to-earth disposition, the Great Red Dragon has bestowed you with magical protections and arcane insights.

##Seer: As a night action, you may target one player to learn their alignment. You will be told "Locust" or "Not Locust".

Lucius Down

You are the owner of the inn at barrelhaven. When the Bone cousins showed up at your doorstep, they quickly became indebted to you, haplessly unaware of the intricacies of the local barter system. You are fiercely loyal to Grandma Ben and are an accomplished fighter with memories of wars past that you’d sooner forget.

##NightVig: As a night action, you may target one player to kill. (Usable once per game)

Grandma Ben

You have been in the valley your whole life, and there is clearly more to you than meets the eye. Dragons, rat creatures, and the other denizens of the valley are well known to you. You strive to keep your family and friends safe from harm using your deep knowledge of the valley’s secrets. Sometimes, keeping others safe requires hiding information from them, or even controlling their movements.

##Defend: As a night action, you may target one player to protect. If that player is targeted by a night kill action, including the Seek the One who Bears a Star action, that action will fail. You may not defend yourself. You may not target the same player on consecutive nights.

Phoney Bone

After getting run out of Boneville for egregious embezzlement, you found yourself lost in a strange valley. You are animated by avarice, and have found ample opportunities to profit by manipulating the simple townsfolk. The Hooded One has contacted you repeatedly, and ever since arriving in the valley your malignant tendencies have been in tension with your love for your family. Whose side are you really on?

Miller (passive): If your alignment is scanned, you will read as Locust. (Passive)

LayLow: As a night action, The Hooded One may attempt to uncover you. If they correctly guess your identity, you will die in addition to their night kill. Refer to their Seek the One who Bears the Star

##RedemptionArc: As a night action, you may request that Fone Bone’s read be publicly revealed. If you were Fone Bone’s target, you will be revealed as Town. You must survive the night for this power to activate. You may not use this power on Night 1 and you may not use it if either The Lord of the Locusts or The Hooded One have been killed. (May be used successfully once per game)

Denizens of Boneville

You are one of the denizens of the valley: Tom, Euclid, Miss Possum, Ted, the Possum Kids, Jonathan, Ted’s big brother, or Thorne

Vanilla Town: You have no special ability.

Team Locust (scum)

Victory Condition: You win when nothing can prevent all town-aligned players from being eliminated (aka, you control the vote)

The Lord of the Locusts

He is a frightful demonic force who commands the Hooded One and serves as the source of evil in the universe. He is the cosmic manifestation of nightmares, which seem to come from him. He feeds on fear and preys upon people's ability to dream (their connection to the source of the Bone universe). He seeks to roam the Waking World and claim the lives of its entire population.

##End: As a night action, the Lord of the Locusts or The Hooded One must target one player to kill. They may use other powers in addition to this action.

##Juggernaut: When you target a player with The Hunger, it cannot be prevented. (Usable once per game)

Part of the plague: You share a private chat with The Hooded One

The Hooded One

Shrouded in mystery and animated by a desire for vengeance, you seek to destroy those who have wronged you. These strange Bone creatures who have entered the valley form the crux of the gordian knot that locks your freedom away. Will you be able to retake what is rightfully yours?

##End: As a night action, The Hooded One or the Lord of the Locusts must target one player to kill. They may use other powers in addition to this action.

##InvadeDreams: As a night action, you may target one player to send their mind to the Dreamlands. Any actions that they attempt to perform that night will fail.

##Seek the One who Bears the Star: As a night action, you may choose to guess the identity of Phony Bone. If you are correct, that player will die in addition to the night kill. If you choose to use this power, you may not activate your Roleblocker power that night.

Part of the plague (passive): You share a private chat with the Lord of the Locusts

Kingdok

You have sworn allegiance to the Lord of the Locust for worldly martial glory

#BoneHunt: As a night action, you may target one player to learn if they are Fone Bone. You will be told "Fone Bone" or "Not Fone Bone".

Loyal grunt (passive): You know the identities of The Lord of the Locusts and the Hooded One. They do not know you.

Clarifying edit: You do not count towards scum numbers for assessing victory conditions

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 4, 2023

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i've never played an normal open setup, sure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stupid, stupid shwinne

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

YES

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
down to bone

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i would like to play as kingdok, please

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Trying and failing to not say bonezone.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I want to find out if it's possible to reach an upper limit of games to play in simultaneously!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I call Krayzie Bone

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ah yes, the recent Telltale adaption of Bone that came out just the other day in 2005

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
If that's OK with you, I'd like to sign up - I did check this setup ages ago, but it's open so it's not like I hold any privileged knowledge. If you prefer I abstain, no prob either!

Very happy to see it live, btw. I think it will be fun!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Shellception posted:

If that's OK with you, I'd like to sign up - I did check this setup ages ago, but it's open so it's not like I hold any privileged knowledge. If you prefer I abstain, no prob either!

Very happy to see it live, btw. I think it will be fun!

Of course, please play! The setup is different than what you saw and also it’s open so it doesn’t matter. I actually reskinned a friend’s open setup for this one.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Ah yes, the recent Telltale adaption of Bone that came out just the other day in 2005

That’s the one

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

And since when do u people read the OP!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

shwinnebego posted:

Of course, please play! The setup is different than what you saw and also it’s open so it doesn’t matter. I actually reskinned a friend’s open setup for this one.

Awesome, thanks!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Also, since this is an open setup, and ya'll are the ones playing it, I'm open to tweaks/modifications

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

shwinnebego posted:

Also, since this is an open setup, and ya'll are the ones playing it, I'm open to tweaks/modifications

this post was a bad idea, i immediately realize

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

shwinnebego posted:

this post was a bad idea, i immediately realize

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 24, 2023

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

shwinnebego posted:

Is it time for Tank Phase already?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

Is it time for Tank Phase already?

Tank phase! Tank phase! Tank phase!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

alright i'll bite what's a tank phase

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

shwinnebego posted:

I dunno what’s a tank phase with you

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I'm intrigued by open setup so sure

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

shwinnebego posted:

HCT once tried feeding stuff to an AI to see what roles it cooked up, and it got things juuuust slightly wrong, like "You are mafia aligned. You win when all threats to town are eliminated".

For some reason, it pulled the concept of a "tank phase" for a role, so goons have been trying to fit that onto a game ever since.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Great, everyone join discord and i'll send out rolecards

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (11): AFancyQuestionMark, CubicalSucrose, fool of sound, Hal Insandenza, Maerlyn, Opopanax, Sandwolf, Shellception, Somberbrero, Voodoofly, Zoya

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 26th, 2023 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 23 hours.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Winter is finally over in the Valley. The Bone cousins, mysterious strangers from a nearby town, hunkered down with the woodland creatures and townsfolk of Barrelhaven. They made friends with the locals. Well, kind of. Phoney and his cousin Smiley ran up a ferocious tab at the Barrelhaven inn, and Fone has made a bit of an awkward mess of things with his crush Thorne

But as meltwater fills the creeks and mosses blooming on rocks herald new life in the Valley, the Bone cousins and their friends have bigger problems on the horizon. Rat creatures stir, with their brutal chieftain Kingdok leading a sordid muster on the edge of the Valley. A strange hooded figure haunts the dreams of the Phoney Bone. And Grandma Ben has signaled that a deeper evil is awakening: The Lord of the Locusts.

What's more, Fone Bone seems to have drawn the protective affections of the the Great Red Dragon - though no one believes him.

Will the Bone cousins and their friends be able to root out the evil tendrils of the Lord of the Locusts? Or will the demonic visit unspeakable cosmic horrors upon the innocent denizens of the Valley?!

Day 1 begins!

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 25, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I will vote anyone but Sandwolf or Zoya today.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm Ken Bone

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

i would like to play as kingdok, please

can't believe shwinne actually granted my request! town-aligned kingdok here folks, i'll lead us to victory!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CubicalSucrose posted:

Oh hell yeah this is the exact opposite of what I expected

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

fool of sound posted:

I'm Ken Bone

And I’m Ed Balls

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CubicalSucrose posted:

I will only vote Sandwolf or Zoya. You may ask us one question

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Sandwolf posted:

And I’m Ed Balls

this is a fake claim, he's actually ed sheeran

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

I'm a moderate moderator like Ed Milliband

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

shwinnebego posted:

You are one of the denizens of the valley: Tom, Euclid, Miss Possum, Ted, the Possum Kids, Jonathan, Ted’s big brother, or Thorne

Vanilla Town: You have no special ability.

also i forgot to explicitly say this in the OP but scum will be told which of these vanilla role are not in the game (aka, which are safe fakeclaims)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

shwinnebego posted:

also i forgot to explicitly say this in the OP but scum will be told which of these vanilla role are not in the game (aka, which are safe fakeclaims)

So scum can only safely claim VT flavor?

Feels like everyone flavorclaiming D1 would be interesting. I guess scum then pivot to counterclaiming real roles? But that thunderdomes them.

It also puts some targets on power roles.

I'm not used to open setups but I feel like we might be able to win D1?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a good thing I'm the doc then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

So scum can only safely claim VT flavor?

Feels like everyone flavorclaiming D1 would be interesting. I guess scum then pivot to counterclaiming real roles? But that thunderdomes them.

It also puts some targets on power roles.

I'm not used to open setups but I feel like we might be able to win D1?

if everyone open claims, scum will immediately kill the doc, and then kill the bonestar with that special action