Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single person in possession of a good intellect, must be in want of a WIFOA.

MockingQuantum posted:

now my question is, when is someone going to run "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a WIFOM" mafia

spacing in vienna posted:

.... holy poo poo I've never run a game but I desperately want to call dibs on Must Be In Want Of A WIFOA: A Jane Austen Clusterfuck.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yes, hello, I heard there was a stupid idea here?

And that's how we ended up with:

Must Be In Want Of A WIFOA - A Ridiculously Overcomplicated Jane Austen Clusterfuck.

Created by Jane Austen Nerds spacing in vienna and Cloacamazing!.

I'm sure you have questions.

What's a Mafia?
Mafia is a game where some people are evil scum and most people are good town and they all look incredibly scummy. They fight about who looks the scummiest, execute them and then go to sleep, only to wake up the next day and yell at each other because they misexecuted. At some point someone shoots Cloacamazing! for being obviously evil.

What's a WIFOA?
WIFOA stands for Wine In Front Of All and is an acronym based on that scene in The Princess Bride, because we're all nerds here. The exact rules will be explained in the second post, but basically you get to pick your role based on an overcomplicated system and everybody will know who got to pick first and make paranoid theories about which role they picked and why that means they're scum.

How many players?
Well we got 15 roles, so... 13 - 17 players should work.

Why Jane Austen?
Mocking Quantum made the above quote and we thought it was funny.

Is this balanced?
Why play a game that might be balanced when you can sign up for one that has "clusterfuck" right in the title???

Is this a good idea?
No.

Will there be a ball?
Yes.

Now for the important part that nobody ever reads: the rules.

Rule 0, the important one that overrules all other rules: First and foremost, we are here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Please make sure that at all times you put your own sanity and mental well-being first. If at any point you feel like you're having a bad time, like someone's taking things too far or just need someone to talk to, please contact your mods or one of our many community volunteers. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1) Don't be a dick.
2) No unsanctioned out of thread communication about the game.
3) No copy-pasting any out of thread info into the thread, especially not your role PM. Paraphrasing is generally fine, when in doubt ask your mods.
4) Do not post after the hammer.
5) Do not fake day actions.
6) Do no post when dead.
7) Don't edit your posts.
8) Lurker rules: Please make at least 10 posts with reasonable amounts of content per day (i.e. don't just post numbers, say something). This minimum is reduced to 5 posts if the day ends more than 12 hours before deadline and removed entirely if the day ends more than 24 hours before deadline. Failure to reach the minimum postcount will get you a warning first, second time will get you modkilled. If you have problems reaching that number due to real life issues, let us know preferably in advance. We'll work something out.
9) Seriously, don't be a dick.

This game contains no elements that are purposefully designed as mod bastardry. There are no hidden components to any role that are not made clear in the role PM. If a role changes based on the player's alignment, the changes are made clear in the publically available list of roles.

Night action results will be given as "You successfully [action]ed your target.", followed by any further information. Failed actions will be given as "You failed to [action] your target." There will usually be some flavor text in italics delivered with the night results. While flavor text won't outright lie to you, it also isn't part of your result text. Rely on it at your own peril.

You will need Discord to play this. Please join the server here: https://discord.gg/PVfGbKqEa3

Got any other questions? Feel free to ask them on the Discord.

Players:
  1. birdstrike
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. EGalz18 (She/Her)
  4. Grandicap (He, Him)
  5. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  6. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  7. Johnny Keats
  8. mycelia (he/him)
  9. PhantomMuzzles
  10. Rhymes With Clue
  11. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  12. shwiffles (he/him)
  13. Tired Moritz
  14. wologar (he/him/whatever)
  15. Your Personal Muse

Draft: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&pagenumber=2#post535488693
D1 Start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&userid=222744#post535529897
D2 Start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post535595483
D3 Start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post535617819
D4 Start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&pagenumber=27#post535662840
D4 SCANDAL: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post535674344
D5 Start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045079&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post535729406

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
How Is WIFOA Formed?
Since this is a WIFOA style game, a few special rules apply to make sure the available roles (listed in the next post) are distributed fair and square.

Step 1: Draft Order Contest
Each player must submit two numbers (integers only, send me nonsense and be last in the draft order) from 1-9 privately in their Discord channels. The objective is to pick the number closest to 1 that THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE pick. Order will be determined as: (1) closest to 1 that only 1 person picked, until all single picks are gone; (2) closest to 1 that only 2 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all double picks are gone; (3) closest to 1 that only 3 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all triple picks are gone; etc. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker number section, those players will be behind any single pick for the tie breakers, and I will roll dice for them. The final Draft Order will be published in this thread for all to see before moving to Stage 2. See the Mock Draft (posted somewhere below) for an example.

Step 2: Pick Two Roles
After the final Draft Order has been publically announced, players will learn their alignment. Scum players will be informed who their scumbuddies are and be added to scumchat. Each player must now privately select their first and second pick of roles in their Discord channels.

Step 3: Primary Role Draft
After all selections are in, the primary roles will be assigned going DOWN the Draft Order. If nobody above you has selected your first pick, you get this role. If not, you have a chance at getting your second pick.

Step 4: Secondary Role Draft
For anybody who didn't get their first pick, secondary roles will be assigned going UP the Draft Order.

Step 5: Didn't Get Your Pick? Or Just Don't Want Any Of The Roles?
If you failed to get your pick from the draft, you will be randomly assigned a role from the Backup List (posted below).
If you absolutely WANT a specific role from the Backup List, you may select them during Step 2.
If you absolutely WANT to be Vanilla, you can let us know and will be assigned one of the Vanilla flavors.
If you absolutely HAVE to be a character that's not listed here, you can pick them and be Vanilla, but with the flavor you wanted.

Mock Draft
Because I completely forgot to include it initially, thanks Cube! Copied from Grandi's WIFOA game.
A: 1,1
B: 1,4
C: 1,1
D: 3,7
E: 5,9
F: 5,2
G: 7,1
H: 2,4
I: 2,7
J: 9,8
K: 6,9
L: 6,7
M: 5,6

Final Draft Order:

1. D (3,7) (one person picked the number)
2. G (7,1)
3. J (9,8)
4. H (2,4) (two people picked the number)
5. I (2,7)
6. L (6,7)
7. K (6,9)
8. B (1,4) (three people pick the number)
9. C (1,1 wins dice roll)
10. A (1,1 loses dice roll)
11. F (5,2)
12. M (5,6)
13. E (5,9)

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 23, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Role List
role blurbs provided by siv, get the roles for even more snarky commentary

Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Ninja Watcher
Lady Catherine sees everything. And boy, does she have an opinion about it.
Can watch another player at night. Actions do not count as visits.

Emma Woodhouse, Masonizer
Emma can sniff out true love a mile away. Just ask her.
Can masonize two players at night.

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Roleblocker/Charging Vig
Mr. Darcy can make anyone swoon. But cross him at your peril.
Can roleblock another player or charge his dayvig for improved hitrates.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Bennett, Gunsmith
Lizzy is of course a great judge of character ... well, most of the time.
Can gunsmith another player to find out if they can kill.
SCUM BONUS: If Lizzie is scum, the player gains a jugg on even nights, bypassing all protection.

Harriet Smith, Messenger
Harriet might be dim (and, worse, poor), but "pretty" means that people will always stop and listen to you.
Can send anonymous messages during the day and steal another player's night result during the night.

Catherine Morland, Paranoid Gun Owner
Catherine has an overactive fantasy life and thinks she's in a gothic novel. And now she has a gun! This will end well.
Will shoot any player who visits them.
SCUM BONUS: Will also shoot the player who casts the deciding vote on them.

Lady Anne de Bourgh, Jack Of All Trades
Lady Anne is so very accomplished. More so than her inferior peers. Just ask her mother.
Gets a oneshot of Tracker, Watcher, Doctor and Messenger.
SCUM VERSION: Gets a oneshot of Jugg, Ninja, Roleblock and Messenger instead.

John Dashwood, Dramatic Party Crasher
People have pointed out that John Dashwood is kind of a useless coxcomb. He can't really deny it, but by golly, he's going to woo them all with his dying message!
On their death, an alphabetical list of any player to visit them, as well as the player who cast the deciding vote (hammer) on them if they died by execution, will be posted in the thread. Additionally, the player may compose a dying message of up to 500 characters per night, which will be posted in its entirety on their death or when the game ends.

Colonel Brandon, Duelist
Colonel Brandon is here to protect everybody's honor. With a gun. That's how you protect honors.
Can challenge another player to an honorable duel, placing both of them in a temporary masonry to talk things out before the duel either happens or doesn't happen.
SCUM BONUS: Player has a higher chance of winning the duel.

Mrs Jennings, Gossiping Voyeur
Goodness, have you HEARD about the things that went on last night? Why, you would not BELIEVE what just went down!
Can see what night actions were performed on another player and share the results with a player of their choice.

Captain Benwick, Mourner
A tear shed for those lost... Captain Benwick will not forget them.
Receives oneshots of dead TOWN-aligned player's abilities after every second TOWN death.

Mary Crawford, Dance Partner Rearranger
Mary thinks this backwards, boring place could use a little shot of maximum chaos.
As a oneshot, can form a dance circle that will redirect and busdrive every player in the circle.

Charlotte Collins, Recharger
Practical enough to secure her future even at the cost of marrying a blithering idiot, Charlotte Collins knows how to get things done.
Recharges a player's oneshots.

Mr Collins, Jailer
Mr. Collins cannot wait to talk AT LENGTH about his glorious patron, Lady Catherine DeBourgh! His victims would probably prefer to be dead.
Can jail a player, blocking their actions and causing any action targeting them to fail.

George Wickham, Hider
Look, sometimes when your debts pile up and too many innkeepers' daughters get pregnant, it's best to skip town for a bit.
Can hide on alternate nights, blocking all actions on them.

Marianne Dashwood, Hammerer
Marianne cannot EVEN, Elinor. Can you even imagine anything so horrible in all of the world? BECAUSE MARIANNE CANNOT.
Gains oneshots from a random list if they're the deciding vote (hammer) on another player.

Captain Wentworth, Pirate
Sometimes, a man needs to go to drastic measures to make his fortune. ... Arrrrrr.
Can plunder oneshots from other players (no stealing involved, he just digs up their garden). Not all players will have an item.

Backup List

Mr Fitzwontiam Dorcy, Copycat
I'm Mr. Dorcy! I'm here to make all the ladies swoon! ... STOP LAUGHING!
As a oneshot, can copy another player's night action and turn it into a oneshot for themselves to use.

Kitty Bennet, Compulsive Visitor
Kitty's coughing is keeping everyone up. Her mother insists she's doing it on purpose.
Visits another player at night.

Mr. Bingley, Cowardly Doublevoter
Mr. Bingley has reconsidered his opinion and has realized he should just do whatever Mr. Darcy says.
Has a oneshot doublevote, but can only vote for another player if at least one other player has already voted there.

Louisa Hurst, Bulletproof
She's survived marriage to Mr. Hurst. You don't scare her.
Has a oneshot bulletproof.

The Patriarchy, Executionproof
Consequences are for people who don't own all the money and the land.
Has a oneshot executionproof.

Caroline Bingley, Votebomb
gently caress Lizzy Bennet and her loving fine eyes because YOU should be Mistress of Pemberley! gently caress!
Will kill the player to cast a deciding vote on them (hammer).

Mr. Bennet, Letterwriter
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?
As a oneshot, can write a message of up to 500 characters to be posted by the mods in the thread. This will be clearly marked as a quote.

Fanny Price, Vanilla
Fanny is too vanilla to even get a role here in role madness. She'll sit in the attic crying about it, probably.

Fanny Brice-with-a-B, Lightning Rod
Nobody is going to rain on your parade ... wait. What are you doing here? You're in the wrong game entirely. You're a Broadway legend, not the sadsack lead of Mansfield Park. At least you can be a bit useful around here. (This role exists because SiV both hates Fanny Price and keeps loving up her name.)
Has a oneshot ability to redirect a player's action to themselves.

Elinor Dashwood, Vanilla
Being the only Dashwood sister with a modicum of sense is sometimes boring and sucky. Sorry, Elinor.

Mary Bennett, Vanilla
Being the Bennet sister that no one cares about gets you put on this list. Sorry, Mary.

Elizabeth Watson, Vanilla
Being the unmarried spinster from a book most people haven't read gets you put on this list. Sorry, Elizabeth.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 25, 2023

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Ok, fine.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

wologar posted:

Ok, fine.

Didn't read, signing up.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Didn't read, sign up

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
ME!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Here to mysteriously end up as vanilla or sub vanilla

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I will play if there are fewer than 15 other people playing, and observe if it gets more interest than that.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I have too much travel coming up to commit to a game, but I have a few things to say:

1. However wrote those rules you stole from must be a moron.
2. I like your revisions to those moronic rules and will steal them at some point.
3. That is a wild list of roles and I'm here for the chaos
4. If you want another co-mod I'm game.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Based Clo letting us vote for each other in signups.

##Vote Maerlyn

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay I'll play. Im googling a SparkNotes of the OP tho

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can I observe?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hahahahaha yessssss :getin:

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

I知 in

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
3:16!! gimme a hell yeah!!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh sure!

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Hal what the unholy gently caress is your icon :staredog:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal what the unholy gently caress is your icon :staredog:

It痴 called an AVATAR, jeeez

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
There's been a few... developments.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As Destiny's Child predicted, I was not ready for this jelly.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

A link to "Jane Austen's Fight Club"
https://www.google.com/search?q=jan...nNnf4dI9AE,st:0
I didn't like the Fight Club movie much and I'm with Mark Twain when it comes to Jane Austen but I loved this. If you haven't seen it, you should. And it's short.

(The url, however...drat that is a long url)

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymes With Clue posted:

A link to "Jane Austen's Fight Club"
https://www.google.com/search?q=jan...nNnf4dI9AE,st:0
I didn't like the Fight Club movie much and I'm with Mark Twain when it comes to Jane Austen but I loved this. If you haven't seen it, you should. And it's short.

(The url, however...drat that is a long url)

I love that video and my only regret is that it's not a full movie

RWC I will forgive your slight against Austen if you join the discord (you are signing up, yes?)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I never read Jane Austen but I like the role ideas here so sure, I'll join in.

There's no word on what's going on with Votefinder allowing voting on a day 0 that shouldn't exist either so in the interest of experiments ##vote Maerlyn

also Dashwood should be a Dramatic Party Host because he's not crashing any parties/masonries IMO but I suppose you might be applying death of the author so :shrug:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Please stop voting on Day 0 or I'll assign all of you Fanny Price, kthanks

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Also, With Iggy's signup we have reached the minimum player count of 13!

I'm leaving signups open for a bit longer in case anybody else wants to join, but we'll be starting soon. Anybody who hasn't already, please head to the Discord and submit your numbers for the draft!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I love that video and my only regret is that it's not a full movie

RWC I will forgive your slight against Austen if you join the discord (you are signing up, yes?)

I keep thinking maybe, now I've matured, I should try Austen again. Then I realized I haven't actually matured, just gotten older.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I keep thinking maybe, now I've matured, I should try Austen again. Then I realized I haven't actually matured, just gotten older.

Serious post: one of the hard things about Austen is that humor is so very context-dependent. There's a line somewhere in P&P about something that sounds innocuous like "she already had dinner waiting when they arrived, because she was a woman of style and taste" that sounds like "oh, ok" because we don't realize, without the context, that it's a joke. This is apparently a very tacky thing to do, akin to someone saying "the yard surrounding her mobile home was full of neatly arranged plastic flamingos, because she was a woman of style and taste" -- no one in 2023 would need that joke explained to them, but two hundred years in the future, people would shrug and assume that was in fact something stylish.

I have an annotated P&P that explains all of the context and jokes, but I imagine that would be dull reading for a first time through. Which is why I highly recommend the 1995 BBC adaptation, because with actors you can get the nuances of sarcasm and whatnot.

The premise of P&P is that there are five daughters who need to marry well or they're going to be out in the streets when their father dies, because they don't inherit his estate. The older two are pretty and smart, the middle one literally no one cares about, and the younger two are shameless flirts. Their mom is scheming to throw them at rich men in a horribly tacky fashion, and their dad stopped giving a gently caress about anything 10-15 years ago and hangs out in his library snarking at everything. Main character Lizzy is the second oldest, and she's inherited her dad's sense of humor, but also thinks she's a much better judge of character than she actually is.

People dismiss Austen as being all about proper young ladies getting married, not realizing that the undercurrent here is that if the ladies in question don't get married, they're going to be wholly dependent on their brothers to provide for them -- women can't work or inherit in a lot of cases. So do you aim for love, do you marry the practical person just to secure your future? Do you turn down the richest man you've ever met because he's a rude rear end in a top hat?

Er anyway that would be my suggestion, if you're interested in peering in at Austen again.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Thanks for that SiV! I won稚 vote you for the first real life day of the game because of it.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hal Incandenza posted:

Thanks for that SiV! I won’t vote you for the first real life day of the game because of it.

Hal, because you changed your avatar, I can sincerely promise I won't vote for you all game. :thumbsup:

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
fine

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I'm going to bow out but YPM doesn't change that this game can still go off. I've already written a very apologetic note to our esteemed hosts.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maerlyn posted:

I'm going to bow out but YPM doesn't change that this game can still go off. I've already written a very apologetic note to our esteemed hosts.

How very Mr. Darcy of you

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Some would call me a hero for stepping in and making sure the game can start.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Your Personal Muse posted:

Some would call me a hero for stepping in and making sure the game can start.

My hero!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
By the way for those who haven't noticed, I've added the mock draft to the second post now.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Just to make everyone overthink this, here is the list of draft choices from the first time I ran this game, as well as the total available options:

quote:

Options:

Cop
Rolecop
Doctor
Roleblocker
Jailor
Empowerer
Vigilante

Draft Choices:

1. Buane Vig
2. Vote1 jailor
3. EccoRaven Vig
4. sc4rs jailor
5. Piuro Rolecop
6. TheDiscoKid Rolecop
7. MM Jailor
8. Squiggly jailor
9. Fitsfadda Vig
10. 50lbs of Bread Vig
11. Sophia jailor
12. Trajanmax Vig
13. The Lost Boy Jailor

Basically just assume everyone is picking the exact same thing you do and that every other choice is open.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah I'm not about to start overthinking this sort of thing when I've not yet had to do that much. I just try to shoot decently with the draft and/or choose things only I'd be into anyway and that's worked well so far. :colbert:

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I知 choosing 1,1 because I知 not a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Your Personal Muse posted:

I知 choosing 1,1 because I知 not a coward

Pick vanilla or no bollocks.