Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

“It’s in the cellar under the dining room,” he went on, so overcome by his worries now that he forgot to be pompous. “It’s mine — mine. I discovered it when I was a child, all by myself. The cellar stairway is so steep that my aunt and uncle forbade my using it, but I’d heard someone say there was a world down there. I found out later they meant an old-fashioned globe of the world, but at the time I thought they were referring to the world itself. One day when no one was home I started down in secret, but I stumbled and fell. When I opened my eyes, I saw the Aleph.”

“The Aleph?” I repeated.

“Yes, the only place on earth where all places are — seen from every angle, each standing clear, without any confusion or blending. I kept the discovery to myself and went back every chance I got. As a child, I did not foresee that this privilege was granted me so that later I could write the poem. Zunino and Zungri will not strip me of what’s mine — no, and a thousand times no! Legal code in hand, Doctor Zunni will prove that my Aleph is inalienable.”

I tried to reason with him. “But isn’t the cellar very dark?” I said.

“Truth cannot penetrate a closed mind. If all places in the universe are in the Aleph, then all stars, all lamps, all sources of light are in it, too."

What?

This is a role-madness mafia game for 13 players, made by Shell and me. Every role is inspired by a short story written by Borges.

Who?

Jorge Luis Borges is one of the most renowned writers in Spanish of the XX century. He was born in Argentina in 1899 and wrote dozens of poems, essays and short stories full of wit and Borges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Luis_Borges

Why?

Both: Borges is pretty cool.
Both: ...
Shell: Borges mafia
me: :hmmyes:

How?

Las eliminaciones se decidirán por mayoría de votos. Cada día durará alrededor de 48 horas y cada noche durará alrededor de 24 horas.

- Don't be a jerk.
- Don't edit your posts.
- Don't copy/paste mod comms.
- Don't post after hammer.
- Don't post after you die.
- Post at least 10 times in a game day or you'll get a lurker warning. Do it again under a lurker warning and you'll be expelled from the book club.
- Don't fake day actions.
- Finally, don't be a jerk.

Rule zeroth: If you ever encounter anything or anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable, threatened, abused, angry, or even unsure of how you feel, there are many people here, both within and outside of the SA Mafia community, who are happily willing to listen, provide support, and enact change to make the community better for everyone.
Here is a short list of only some of the people that other players have suggested as a resource that you should never hesitate to contact: Leperflesh and Antivehicular (current Traditional Games Mods), VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Cloacamazing!, Opopanax, Sandwolf, Shellception, or whoever else you feel safer talking to!

Discord: https://discord.gg/qaVXA7E7rz

Player list:
  1. CubicalSucrose
  2. EGalz18 (She/Her)
  3. JosefStalinator
  4. Maerlyn (she/her)
  5. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  6. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
  7. saladscooper (he/him)
  8. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  9. shwinnebego (he/him)
  10. Tired Moritz
  11. Toadsmash
  12. wins32767
  13. Your Personal Muse

wologar fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Hi! This is a post mostly so you can find me easily, just in case I post some flips during the game :cheeky:

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Borges more like Gorgeous

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Assimilate me.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Vamos boludos

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

haven't read any of the op but i was asked to join

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

One of the mods has bought me a Borges so I feel indebted

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In as Victor Borge

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Estoy listo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm in the mood to be educated, yes

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's been forever and I'm feeling adventurous. I'm interested. I probably won't have the slightest idea what I'm doing, but that's easy to disguise in a role madness game!

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
More like DUMBges

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I know nothing about this author but I like mafia.

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
Sign me up!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Toadsmash posted:

It's been forever and I'm feeling adventurous. I'm interested. I probably won't have the slightest idea what I'm doing, but that's easy to disguise in a role madness game!

Please, join the Discord via the link in the OP so we can give you your PM and all that :)

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Okayyyyyy

wins32767 posted:

I know nothing about this author but I like mafia.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
And we're full!

Josef, report to the discord. Josef, report to the discord.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I felt, almost at once, the invisible presence of a conspiracy to keep Glencairn’s fate hidden. There’s not a soul in this city (I suspected) who is not in on the secret and who is not sworn to keep it. Most people upon questioning professed an unbounded ignorance; they did not know who Glencairn was, had never seen him, had never heard anyone speak of him. Others, instead, had caught a glimpse of him only a quarter of an hour before talking to So-and-So, and they even accompanied me to the house the two had entered and in which nothing was known of them, or which they had just that moment left.

Link to full text

Hyper Crab 'Borgir' Tank, The Man on the Threshold, TOWN-aligned Telltale, left the game N0!

quote:

You have a passive, automatic ##selfwatch power. For every night you are not visited, you will gain a different extra active power. As a one-shot night action, you can use all the powers you hold as a single action, targetting a single player. You cannot use the powers individually, nor target multiple players.

If you are ever visited, you will lose all charges of your active action. Does not include the self-watching ability.

If, at any point in the game, you hold no active actions, the ability will reset starting from the following night.

It is now Day 1!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (13): CubicalSucrose, EGalz18, JosefStalinator, Maerlyn, Mr. Humalong, Opopanax, saladscooper, Sandwolf, shwinnebego, Tired Moritz, Toadsmash, wins32767, Your Personal Muse

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 13th, 2023 at 4 a.m. UTC -- that's in about 2 days, 12 hours.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

##vote toad nice to meet u

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

##vote shwinn I was given a n0 cop result

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I have…a game that you must all play there will be a prize (100% serious and OC do NOT steal)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Whoever can create the “essence” of Wologar’s AV through ms paint or an ms paint equivalent the best will get an in game item. Please post in thread.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Your Personal Muse posted:

Whoever can create the “essence” of Wologar’s AV through ms paint or an ms paint equivalent the best will get an in game item. Please post in thread.

I feel like this is a bizarre trick.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

##vote EGalz

Gambler's fallacy.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

CubicalSucrose posted:

I feel like this is a bizarre trick.

I will prove I’m serious with a public day action once submissions are in

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Mr. Humalong posted:

##vote shwinn I was given a n0 cop result

Because you're a Sympathizer trying to find out who your teammates are???

##vote Mr. Humalong

shwinnebego posted:

##vote toad nice to meet u

Why do you smell so bad!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I started reading my story and apparently borges is basically H.P. Lovecraft?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Toadsmash posted:

Because you're a Sympathizer trying to find out who your teammates are???

##vote Mr. Humalong

Why do you smell so bad!

Sympathizer

hmmm

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Quien es espuma

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

wins32767 posted:

I started reading my story and apparently borges is basically H.P. Lovecraft?

Yep, complete with casual bigotry

Sympathizer

hmmm

You smell too

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

CubicalSucrose posted:

##vote EGalz

Gambler's fallacy.

Someday, this will be a good vote, but it is not this day

##vote Cube

This might be, though...

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Quien es espuma

Who do you think is scum so far?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Toadsmash posted:

You smell too

what’s a sympathizer

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

JosefStalinator posted:

Quien es espuma

Never change

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

what’s a sympathizer

Mafia team member that doesn't know and isn't known by the rest of the team. Generally if they get NKed by the scum they join scum chat.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

##vote Toadsmash
I don't like these posts so far. No siree.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

wins32767 posted:

Mafia team member that doesn't know and isn't known by the rest of the team. Generally if they get NKed by the scum they join scum chat.

thx dad

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Look, I'm not your real dad, I told you several times already to stop calling me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

what’s a sympathizer

It's a 3P who wins with the scum team, but isn't part of scumchat and neither side usually has any idea they're on their team at the start. The one game I played that had one the rear end in a top hat faked a N0 cop result and almost single handedly drove town off a cliff