Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

It’s time for a big American Thanksgiving dinner potluck, and people from all around the world are welcome! We have a list of dishes to bring to make sure no one brings the same thing. So sign up, draft which dish you’re bringing, and then we can sit down to a nice dinner! Hopefully none of the food makes anyone sick…

This is a WIFOA setup for 13-19 players. If there’s more interest than that, I have more roles I could add to the list, but may need a little time to iron out details. But all are welcome at the Thanksgiving feast! This should be a lighthearted, newbie-friendly game. I’m not in a huge rush to get this started, though I do hope that we’ll be playing on Thanksgiving :)

Disclaimer:
I am brand new at this and you have to be nice to me. Some game things might take me a little bit longer, especially anything with Votefinder. But if I mess anything up, please be patient and I promise to get better. Shellception has graciously agreed to be a comod for me and has already helped me a TON with setup stuff.

The Rules
1. You have to be nice to everyone but especially to me. This is a family dinner, after all.
2. No discussing this game outside of the appropriate game channels. We didn’t invite Aunt Bertha to this dinner and we don’t want her to accidentally find out what’s happening here.
3. No editing your posts. The things said over Thanksgiving dinner will be remembered forever.
4. Moderator communications, such as role PMs or night action results, should not be shared. An exception will be made for scumchat.
5. Dead players and spectators are not allowed to post in the game thread. It would be very awkward if neighbors or ghosts talked at the dinner table.
6. Lurkers will be notified that they are lurkers. At the end of each game day, I will tell the two living players with the fewest total posts that they should probably get off their phones and talk to the family more. I probably won’t modkill anyone as long as everyone is meaningfully engaged.
7. No faking day actions. This is always a rule but especially don’t do it here because I will get confused and scared.
8. No politics talk or NSFW content. Grandma is here and it just upsets her.

If at any point in this game you feel uncomfortable, threatened, abused, angry, or even unsure of how you feel about a game event or interaction, please remember that your well-being comes first. At any point and above all else, feel free to reach out to me or the other Moderators of this game. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

Discord is required for this game. Click here to join my brand new Discord Server!

Game Days will be 48 hours long, unless something special happens. Game Nights will be 24 hours long, plus however early the day ended. Deadlines will be at 6:00pm Central ‘Murican Time (UTC- 6:00)

When signing up, please also mention something you’re thankful for! This helps me to know which players actually read the OP :)

Player List:
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  2. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  3. CubicalSucrose
  4. EGalz18 (She/Her)
  5. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  6. Johnny Keats
  7. Maerlyn (she/her)
  8. Maugrim (He/him)
  9. MockingQuantum (He/him)
  10. mycelia (he/him)
  11. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  12. Rhymes With Clue
  13. saladscooper (he/him)
  14. spacing in vienna (she, her)
  15. SporkChan
  16. Tea Party Crasher
  17. Tired Moritz
  18. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
  19. Zoya

Draft Order:

Tea Party Crasher: 5,7
mycelia: 6,1
PlasticAutomaton: 8,3
EGalz18: 7,2
Rhymes With Clue: 7,3
Tired Moritz: 7,5
AnonymousNarcotics: 1,2
saladscooper: 1,6
spacing in vienna: 1,1
Voodoofly: 1,1
Johnny Keats: 2,1
MockingQuantum: 2,6
CubicalSucrose: 2,2
Maugrim: 2,2
Hal Incandenza: 3,1
Cloacamazing!: 3,2
Zoya: 3,3
SporkChan: 3,6
Maerlyn: 3,7

PhantomMuzzles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
This is a WIFOA game, which means that all the roles are listed, and all the players draft from that list.

Step 1: Draft Order Contest
Each player must submit two numbers (integers only) from 1-9 privately in their Discord channels. The objective is to pick the number closest to 1 that the FEWEST PEOPLE pick. Order will be determined as: (1) closest to 1 that only 1 person picked, until all single picks are gone; (2) closest to 1 that only 2 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all double picks are gone; (3) closest to 1 that only 3 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all triple picks are gone; etc. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker number section, those players will be behind any single pick for the tie breakers, and I will roll dice for them. The final Draft Order will be published in this thread for all to see before moving to Stage 2. See the Mock Draft (posted below) for an example.

Step 2: Pick Three Roles
After the final Draft Order has been publicly announced, players will learn their alignment. Scum players will be informed who their scumbuddies are and be added to scumchat. Each player must now privately select their first, second, and third pick of roles in their Discord channels.

Step 3: Primary Role Draft
After all selections are in, the primary roles will be assigned going DOWN the Draft Order. If nobody above you has selected your first pick, you get this role. If not, you have a chance at getting your second or third pick.

Step 4: Secondary Role Draft
For anybody who didn't get their first pick, secondary roles will be assigned going UP the Draft Order.

Step 5: Tertiary Role Draft
For anybody who didn't get their first or second picks, tertiary roles will be assigned going back DOWN the Draft Order.

Step 6: Random Backups
If you failed to get any of your picks from the draft, you will be randomly assigned an unused role, and a DRAWBACK may be added to the role.

Mock Draft
(Copied from Grandi's WIFOA game.)
A: 1,1
B: 1,4
C: 1,1
D: 3,7
E: 5,9
F: 5,2
G: 7,1
H: 2,4
I: 2,7
J: 9,8
K: 6,9
L: 6,7
M: 5,6

Final Draft Order:

1. D (3,7) (one person picked the number)
2. G (7,1)
3. J (9,8)
4. H (2,4) (two people picked the number)
5. I (2,7)
6. L (6,7)
7. K (6,9)
8. B (1,4) (three people pick the number)
9. C (1,1 wins dice roll)
10. A (1,1 loses dice roll)
11. F (5,2)
12. M (5,6)
13. E (5,9)

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
Dinner Roles

Note: This list does not necessarily contain full information about the mechanics of the roles, but none are written to be intentionally misleading. If you ask for clarification about roles other than yours (or any of the roles during drafting), I may choose not to oblige.

Additional Note: Your role mechanics will be based on which dish you plan to bring. However, you are not actually this food yourself, so feel free to roleplay as anyone you would imagine would attend Thanksgiving dinner.

A Gratuitously Large 24lb Turkey
This turkey is impractically large. It takes up all the space in the oven, so everything else has to be taken out.
Selfish JOAT. Has a oneshot Doctor, Tracker, Watcher, Imperfect Rolecop. Can only use one ability per night, and doing so will prevent all other players from using that same ability that night.

An Adequately Sizeable 16lb Turkey
This turkey feeds just the right amount of people and is perfect for the occasion.
Flexible JOAT. If Town, has a oneshot Doctor, Tracker, Watcher. If Scum, has a oneshot Ninja, Juggernaut, Poison.

A Somewhat Pitiful 8lb Turkey
This tiny turkey has barely enough meat on its bones.
Baby JOAT. Has a oneshot Messenger, Masonizer, and Roleblocker.

Delicious Stuffing with Minimal Celery, if any
This scrumptious side pairs well with other dishes to accentuate their flavor.
Gunsmith. Each night, may choose a player, and be told if they could be responsible for death. If Scum, this player is a Juggernaut.

Buttery Mashed Potatoes that Somehow Get All Over the Table
These potatoes taste so good but how do they keep getting all over the place?
Sloppy Messenger: Each day, you may send up to three messages to different players, and receive a reply. Then, each message and reply will be sent to another player at random.

Nice Gravy that is thick but not lumpy
Not quite everything is better with gravy, but a lot of stuff is!
Random players will be designated as Better With Gravy. As a Night Action, may ask if a specific player is Better With Gravy. If the answer is yes, they will form an unconfirmed masonry with a shared benefit.

Frozen Peas that could get added to dishes I guess
There are a lot of dishes that could have frozen peas added to them, but very few are actually improved by this addition.
Random players will be designated as Reasonably Suitable For Frozen Peas. As a Night action, may ask if a specific player is Reasonable Suitable For Frozen Peas. If the answer is yes, they will form an unconfirmed masonry with a secret effect.

Red Cabbage, maybe with bacon if that’s your thing
Some people don’t think of this as a Thanksgiving staple but they are wrong.
Votebomb. If voted out, the player who hammers (casts the deciding vote) is also killed.

Slightly Watery Green Bean Hot Dish
This liquidy casserole gets the serving spoon all gloopy, so it’s evident when it’s used for other dishes.
Tracker. Can visit another player and are told if they visit anyone else.

Highly Contested Sweet Potatoes
You can top Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar or Marshmallows, and one is wrong.
Imperfect Rolecop. Every night, can choose another player. Then will be told two roles: one is correct and one is not.

Vegetarian Loaf of Food
Does not contain meat! May or may not contain flavor.
One-shot Execution Proof.

Brussels Sprouts That Don’t Make Anyone Farty
Healthy and delicious and definitely won’t make you gassy!
Doctor. Can protect one player at night.

King’s Hawaiian Rolls
They’re always there. There are always more in the pantry.
Watcher. Can choose a player and are told if anyone visits them.

Stale Mealy Cornbread
This just seems to sit on the plate, sopping up everything else.
Lightning Rod. Can choose a player, and any actions performed on that player will be redirected to the Cornbread.

Ooey Gooey Macaroni and Cheese
Everyone loves macaroni and cheese! How dare anyone suggest this isn’t an essential Thanksgiving food!
Popular. Requires one extra vote to be voted out.

Perfectly Cubed Butternut Squash
Hehehe “butternut”. If you don’t think that’s funny I’ll fight you.
Has a one-shot vig.

Creamed Corn That Has Sat Out For Waaaay Too Long
Pretty much guaranteed to make people sick.
Paranoid Poison Owner. Anyone who visits at night will be poisoned, and will die the next night.

Homemade Cranberry Sauce That Took Way Forever to Make
Why did you bother making this from scratch? It wasted a ton of time and the canned stuff is better.
As a oneshot private action, can declare that the next Day Phase will only be 24 hours instead of 48.

Excessively Strong Apple Cider Cocktail
This is so delicious, you can hardly notice the COPIOUS amounts of alcohol in it. Makes the party pretty lively!
Loudifier. Choose another player and their actions will become Loud.

Every Important Kind of Pie
There are only three kinds of pie that really matter on Thanksgiving.
Masonizer. Has three masonry-related actions and can perform one per night.

The Football Game Between the Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys
Instead of bringing a dish, you just try to lure someone away from dinner to watch the game.
Jailer. Choose a player. They cannot perform actions or have actions performed on them.

Box of Assorted Plasticware
Not strictly a food dish, but still an incredibly helpful thing to bring!
Empowerer. Choose a player. If their night action would be blocked, it will instead succeed.

PhantomMuzzles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 10, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
So my role arguably already breaks rule eight, exciting.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Yea!

I'm thankful for being gay as hell

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
Didn't read the OP
I'm thankful for mod forgiveness

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Ugh. Can I handle two games at once?

But can I afford not to play in a wifoa?

I’m in (unless you really would prefer me help on the mod side, but you got this).

I’m thankful that Spiritual Cramp gave me a new song to add to my list of “cool songs with ‘Holiday’ in the title.”

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Voodoofly posted:

Ugh. Can I handle two games at once?

But can I afford not to play in a wifoa?

I’m in (unless you really would prefer me help on the mod side, but you got this).

I’m thankful that Spiritual Cramp gave me a new song to add to my list of “cool songs with ‘Holiday’ in the title.”

I would be HONORED to have you play :)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Two games at once. Two games at once!

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I'm in!

I'll... uh.. read the op later.

Probably

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I'm probably going to regret this, but:

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Two games at once. Two games at once!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Haven't read the OP but gently caress yeah, phantom muzzles game

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I promise to be good this time.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am so excited to play in this game, and thankful for my partner PhantomMuzzles, who did not write this post for me or make me post it

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm thankful for this community even though there are some ups and downs

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yesh sure

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I am thankful for this game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yum

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

three games at once. four games at once!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

TGIF

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

PhantomMuzzles posted:

I would be HONORED to have you play :)

I will do my best not to make you regret such foolish words.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I am thankful for all the cool people who play Mafia. I'll sign up to play or help on the back end, whichever you prefer.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I am thankful that nobody is scum in this game and we can all just be nice to each other and no-execute every day :)

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

spacing in vienna posted:

I am thankful for all the cool people who play Mafia. I'll sign up to play or help on the back end, whichever you prefer.

Oh I would love both so much! But I think I'd be super duper excited to have you play!

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Did I sign up for this? Sign me up if not

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Johnny Keats posted:

Did I sign up for this? Sign me up if not

You're signed up! Gotta join the server though :)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay haven't played mafia in ages I'm in.

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
We're currently at 18 signups! There's definitely room for one more, so I'll keep it open a bit longer, but I'm hoping to close and start the draft process in the next couple days.

Johnny Keats and Tea Party Crasher, don't forget to join the Discord!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
never mind. something came up, sorry

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 13, 2023

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Toadsmash posted:

never mind. something came up, sorry

smh smhs msh smh

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ooh, a chance to participate in a real American "thanks' giving"! I'll give it a try!

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
And with that, we have our full list of Thanksgiving Dinner attendees! Players are choosing their numbers now, then we'll get the draft started.

Spectators are welcome in the Discord! It'll be like there's a lovely dinner party and you're standing outside with your face pressed up against the window <3

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Pick 1, 1 to join me not at the top

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Voodoofly posted:

Pick 1, 1 to join me not at the top

Grandicap posted:

Step 1: Declare you are drafting 1,1 loudly and proudly
Step 2: Those who are cowards are scared away from drafting 1,1
Step 3: Draft order is released
Step 4: Don't care, you drafted 1,1 and are therefore the best, actual order is irrelevant!

:getin:

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
Alright everyone here is our draft order!

I will now be sending everyone their alignments, and adding scum to scumchat. Then I will ask everyone for their first, second, and third choice roles!

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
Oh shoot everyone I made a couple errors! Here is the corrected order! I'm so sorryyyy

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Don't take all the good roles (save some deviled eggs for me!)

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Maerlyn posted:

Don't take all the good roles (save some deviled eggs for me!)

Gosh how did I not include deviled eggs? It's not even in the list of roles/foods that I cut

One time I made deviled eggs for a Halloween party, but I crackle dyed the eggs so the outsides were like marbled black, and then I dyed the filling green. They tasted AMAZING but no one ate them because they looked horrifying.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i'd eat those, hell yeah spooky eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I have a clarification regarding one of the roles, which was unintentionally written in an ambiguous way:

King’s Hawaiian Rolls
They’re always there. There are always more in the pantry.
Watcher. Can choose a player and are told if the name(s) of anyone who visits them.