Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is a low complexity CYOA based on a campaign I'm running on tabletop: My players have inadvertently made it possible for a demon lord to escape and I'm sure you guys can have some fun with it.
I intend to update once a day at around this hour.

Some bits taken from the lovely OSR module "Caves of Evil" https://micah-anderson.itch.io/caves-of-evil-1992
The game system I'm using is based on https://heartseeker.writeas.com/

You are the Demon Arraqas, one of the Earls of Hell.
Rudely yanked from the 11 Hells You found yourself trapped in a circle of summoning, the 13 cultists in attendance having died before you could engage them in a contract...

You planned using offers of immortality and unimaginable power for those who help you, to persuade a person to break the circle.
And then to immediately possesses the first to do so and fly off to enact your burning hate and rage upon the mortal world.

Things turned out a bit different, the first group of mortals proved unexpectedly resistant to your offers but as soon as they left to get their pitiful reward for clearing the dungeon a northern barbarian named Sven wondered in.
Sven was far more naïve and wearing his corpus as disguise you flew off to the close village of Darkroad.
There you stole a map of the region and set to plan your next move.
You've decided to use caution, you have all the time in the world to posses some king and build an army capable of burning nations.

Your powers are:
Possession: those possessed get a single Save; if they succeed, you are trapped in your own form.
Whip of Hellfire: In combat you summon a flaming whip; in addition to doing damage as a normal +3 whip, it drains 1 level from those it strikes.
Zombies: Temporarily resurrecting the dead as Zombies

Your one noteworthy belonging is The Scepter of the Demon King, a femur scepter over a meter long:

allows you to impel worship in lower lifeforms should they fail a Save, causing anyone you point at to fall to their knees.
It also grants you the power of flight and the ability to project 2 additional copies of yourself.
The Scepter grants nigh-immortality to humans, along with all powers detailed above. This comes in handy as the corpus you wear ceases to grow old and heals rapidly.
It also can be used once per year to instantly kill or destroy any one thing it’s pointed at. If the target makes a Save, the user is killed. That means the corpus you're wearing.

Things you must beware:
Highly powerful mages and priests might be able to sense you and cast you back to the abyss.
Circles of magic, goddamn those.
Adventurers, they have a concerning way to unravel evil plots and finding powerful holy artifacts.
Foul sorcerers and witches: making deals with them may prove beneficial but they are among the only mortals knowledgeable in demonology, thus making them ready for your tricks.

You are currently hiding at the village of Darkroad, wearing an unwashed northern barbarian as disguise.
it is the night of the 13th of Amar, year 762.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
We need minions. Go find some kobolds immediately!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Make our way to the Heated Ridge

Someone is likely to recognize our disguise in this area. A Northern barbarian probably isn't travelling alone around here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

We need minions. Go find some kobolds immediately!

Unfortunately in the millenia since your last visit to the world (demon politics move at a glacial pace) the landscape had
changed entirely, you have no idea where to find willing minions.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Retreat to the sea. I assume that's a sea there on the map.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It is indeed.
You risk having to fly for many days before you see another land though as your flight speed is rather slow (about 12kph)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What do the skulls on the map mean?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can we ransack the memories of the corpus?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Head to the forest and try to find some amenable low-tier monsters as minions. There's gotta be monsters still, right? Otherwise just kill the first travelers we meet and turn them into zombies. Bing boom so simple.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

McSpanky posted:

What do the skulls on the map mean?

Dungeons/ruins.

AJ_Impy posted:

Can we ransack the memories of the corpus?

Oh the poor fool is still alive and possibly even conscious, my choosing that word might have been silly.
You could try questioning Sven but you sense that would give him a chance to cast you out, in which case you'll need to possess someone else right quick.
Your glorious demonic form can't stay in this world long without a host (or a circle of magic and gently caress that).

Just to be clear though, Sven isn't the most willful mortal on the planet so his chances aren't high.

Also don't feel limited by the regional map, I already created some of the adjoining ones.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 12, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Head to the Path of Light town/castle(?). We can pretend to be an adventurer seeking some R&R and job opportunities between exploits, case the joint and see if there's any opportunities to move up the local hierarchy.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 12, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

McSpanky posted:

Head to the Path of Light town/castle(?). We can pretend to be an adventurer seeking some R&R and job opportunities between exploits, case the joint and see if there's any opportunities to move up the local hierarchy.

Oh Path of Light is a largish city and serves as the regional capital.
Keep voting guys, I'll tally them and update in about 9 hours.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I keep forgetting to add this:
You of course are well versed in demonology and can summon other demons to command, however:

About demon pacts:
Very often not worth the effort, demons are backstabbing cheats and are fundamentally incapable of love, loyalty or honor.
Even an individual such as you, who can craft mutually beneficial pacts and command the authority of an Earl of the 11 Hells can expect your servants to always be on the lookout for a better deal.
Common demon pact wisdom is to only rely on them for the shortest time possible and control the flow of information with a firm hand.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So far we have no agreement on the next move, if no more votes are cast I'll roll a die.

Heated Ridge it is!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 12, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Moving stealthily in the night you approach one of the farms, The old work horse is nothing like a young charger but he'll do.
Using your scepter you impel the poor beast to carry you through the desert, at night.
Not desiring to risk the horse breaking your control (or breaking a leg in the dark), you don't drive Robert Longears too hard.
You make it to the ridge before the first rays of sunlight break over the horizon.

You Are at Heated Ridge, it is close to dawn.
A tired workhorse is nearby.

Q1: what do you wish to do with Robert Longears? you can butcher him for meat though you can go through many months without a single meal,
you can order him to go back to the road where someone is sure to find him and get him home, taking him with with you will not work out for long and he needs rest soon.

Q2: Stay or go? you can find yourself a cave and try to interrogate Sven, or summon help or whatever
Or you can move to somewhere else, even the unknown north.

E:Added a nifty terrain map of the immediate surrounding, not terribly useful but I wanted to try some tools.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 12, 2023

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Find a cave

We need a good nest to start out with, and it's probably unlikely that anyone will expect us to be here in particular.

Let Robert wander off

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Kill Robert Longears and raise him as a zombie horse, then send him back homewards. That should be a fun surprise for whoever finds him.

As for destinations, head to the great unknown north for greener pastures.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 12, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You consider using this area for a starter lair:
Pros:
The area remote yet approachable by horse.
Using flight you can easily get into some inaccessible cave where you'll be very safe.
In an emergency, disappearing into the mountains is a breeze.

Cons:
Kinda boring.
Walking or flying from here will take quite a while.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Send the horse back unmolested.

Stay

Time is the one thing that doesn't constrain us. Remote is good.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

We have an early lead for staying but the polls are still open.

B.dubs I should mention that you are perfectly capable of possessing living things other than people, fast flying birds included.
The thing to remember is that not every form can carry the scepter, also they can limit you in other ways.
Also any body you leave is immediately free of your control and would probably gently caress right off, which would make it difficult to find later. Unless you make sure to trap yourself before hopping bodies.

For future reference the rule is: Beasts are too dumb to resist possession, people vary considerably so you better have alternatives and powerful magical creatures such as dragons can even be immune.

E: Also please don't be put off by the slow speed of the game so far, once a decision is made about a lair and strategy I would be able to skip days until something significant happens.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 12, 2023

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tbh I figured there'd be like a volcano or steam vents here or something given the name.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nope, when the random map generator handed me this region I just thought: Hot and arid, like Death Valley.
But I'll make sure to add some volcanically active zones as I add more regions.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Are there any giant sandworms that we can take under our control?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Find a cave

We need a good nest to start out with, and it's probably unlikely that anyone will expect us to be here in particular.

Let Robert wander off

Sure

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Seems like We're making our lair here, You all can start pitching a glorious short term plan.

Some ideas: attempt to locate a powerful person to posses (How to use them), try to recruit cultists (what do you promise?), just steal some poo poo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

By popular demand posted:

Seems like We're making our lair here, You all can start pitching a glorious short term plan.

Some ideas: attempt to locate a powerful person to posses (How to use them), try to recruit cultists (what do you promise?), just steal some poo poo.

Since we're now in a desert, we need to recruit some architect cultists to begin work on our literal Pyramid Scheme. We can promise them eternal life within our great halls at the low low price of recruiting two other members.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

As a GM I don't endorse this or any other plan and encourage other people to offer their on plans.

You definitely have a good starting point there: your borrowed form heals much quicker than any mortal, you are VERY charming, You have some awesome powers
and you can even Impel worship- do it on someone weak willed enough times and submission will become ingrained*.

Just don't forget your weak spots.

* I am of course OOC completely disgusted but this is a game involving actual demons

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
What was our Domain in the underworld? What was our Vice Embodiment? Are we greedy or violent or lustful or what?

Which side are we on in the blood war?

Anyway I still vote to get some minions - we need their little hands to do all the manual labour for us.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

No Blood War.
No set Vice, you love all of them as they all weaken the mortals and makes them susceptible to your promises.
You were and are an Earl of the 11 Hells, though that is more an indication of power level than an actual fiefdom (the Hells don't have set territories, everything is in constant flow)

Also you need to specify about minions: do you recruit monsters? where do you search?
Raid a cemetery for zombies? they won't last so you'll need a way to keep getting more corpses.
Just support the above plan?
Something else entirely?

E: I should mention this is oldschool Order Vs. Chaos cosmology, demons are firmly Chaos but are opposed by more reasonable Chaos aligned beings.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 13, 2023

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Whatever the closest, most susceptible monster tribe is!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

For the benefit of anyone thinking of voting for that, you're newly arrived her and have no clues about the location of any lairs.
So if this plan wins our demon lord will spend some days combing the near environment (not terribly hospitable) and then go check out the Ruined Prison.

Again not saying it's a good or bad plan but as always the devil is in the details.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All right while we're waiting for more votes on THE PLAN,

Settling in to your new cavernous abode, you survey your new domain:
Lots of parched land, tall cliffs and some inescapable crevices you could drop enemies in and watch them slowly perish.
Quite a fetching land all told.
The cave itself is a bit drafty and infested with bats and other small vermin, none of which should be a problem for you to live with.
Some furnishings would not be out of place though.

The horse walks away, you pay the beast no mind.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

How deep does it go?

Are there any monsters residing here?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You saw no signs of monsters on your quick search for a cave.
Your cave doesn't go very deep, You suspect the ground vermin has some tiny holes they used to get this high up but you are far too powerful to be intimidated by tiny creatures.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We need a hideout with more pizzazz

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You already voted to get cultists for that.
Getting them to your inaccessible mountain cave will be hard but not impossible.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Use Sven's weapon of choice to carve a few stalagmites and stalagtites into fetching fangz to decorate the cave entrance with.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Groom Sven a bit better. More of an imposing, clever look.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You consider chopping some stalagmites and tites to decorate with, unfortunately there are none around and also you left Sven's massive two handed axe behind because you'll never separate from the Scepter of the Demon King.
Your Balefire Whip is not a practical chopping tool either, for future reference.

Using your firey whip you quickly burn all of Sven's body hair.
Looking at your reflection in the the small pool nearby you find that the thin muscular bald look suits your idea of a cult leader quite well, though maybe more so once the burns heal in a day or so.
your only cloths are a fur loincloth and boots though and cultists famously like robes and masks and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Poke around the cave for any hidden corpses to zombify. Even some bat or vermin bodies would do.