Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cobalt Core is a deckbuilder set in space. Pilot your chosen ship left and right to dodge shots while targeting enemy ships weak points.
Like Slay the Spire, you progress through three stages of battles and events in order to complete a run. Unlike Slay the Spire you choose three characters whose decks combine to form your card selection each run. (This also affects what artifacts are available.) The most charming part of the game is the character dialogue, which occurs dynamically in fights.

Cobalt Core is available on Steam and Nintendo Switch for about 20 USD.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/
https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/cobalt-core-switch/

The Crew:

Dizzy is the science officer. He specializes in shielding the ship and canceling enemy intents.
His unique card effects include Payback which counterattacks whenever you're ship is hit and Corrosion which deals damage over time.

Riggs is the pilot. She's the main character. She specializes in evasion and drawing cards. Frankly, it's hard to get good card draw without her around.
Her unique card effects include Ace which adds evasion every turn, and Strafe which fires every time you move.

Peri is the security officer. She specializes in doing a lot of small attacks, and instant movement.
Her unique card effect include Table Flip which allows you to change the direction of any instant move cards, and Flux which grants temp shields when firing.

Issac is the engineer. He specializes in launching drones from the missile bay. Keep in mind that a drone that does it's effect once and then gets blown up blocking a shot for you is significantly more powerful than you basic cards.
His unique effects include Bubble which provides a shield for your drones.

Eunice Drake is the... well, it's complicated. Drake has very powerful card effects in exchange for adding Heat which deals damage to your ship if it gets to 3 and then dissipates.
Her unique card effects include Serenity which protects against heat, and Engine Lock which stops enemy ships from moving.

Max is a 'cool hacker guy'. He specializes in changing your cards, and sometimes cares about the placement of cards in your hand.
His unique effects include clean exhaust which makes all your cards which get removed from your hand free for the rest of the turn.

Books is a wizard? She empowers her card by collecting crystal shards. Books unlocks after beating the first boss 8 times.

The eighth character unlocks after you beat the game. She's pretty hard to use because of the wide variety of cards she has access to. If you go on the wiki, which you probably should, the identity of this character will be immediately spoiled.

The Ships:
The Artemis
The Artemis is your starting ship. It's real bad, because it has five targetable lanes and the gun is in the middle. At least, it gives you an extra option when choosing artifacts.

The Ares
The Ares has alternating guns on the sides of the ship, and the gun that is off is armored. It also only has four targetable lanes. It's basically the opposite of the Artemis. It's so good you draw one fewer card each turn to compensate.

The Jupiter
The Jupiter has no gun. Instead you get to launch a drone that fires your gun shots every turn. If you can keep these drones alive, the damage can add up in a comical way, but you might need Issac to help with shifting midrow objects.

The Gemini
The Gemini has two guns and two bays which alternate activation with each action you take. This is interesting, but I'm not sure how good it is. It does let you launch multiple drones without moving though.

The Tiderunner
The Tiderunner moves automatically when you play your leftmost or rightmost cards which can limit how much evade you need. So, this is a better ship for Max than Riggs usually.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
This game is a wonderful little roguelike that me and a bunch of friends enjoyed, and not mentioned in the OP is how good the comedic bits are; this game has some really delightful writing and got plenty of laughs out of me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this game is good as hell. the soundtrack rocks

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I just beat my first run today and encountered alternate timeline evil Riggs. Lmao. Game is cool and fun and the soundtrack absolutely fucks.

Edit: *Reads thread title* holy poo poo op, did you make this game?? It rules!!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

External Organs posted:

Edit: *Reads thread title* holy poo poo op, did you make this game?? It rules!!

No, it's a reference to the most often screenshotted line in the game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there Meta progression with this?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Is there Meta progression with this?

All of the difficulty levels are open from the start and there's no 'ascension'.
The card (decks) are unlocked with the characters, which happens fairly fast.
The ships also have unlock requirements, the last of which is 'beat 10 runs'.
I had everything unlocked (except character 8) at the end of ten runs.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I haven't touched the game since I beat it (a great ending, but I was wishing for more dialog with the last character you unlock.)

How is the mod scene coming along?

malnourish fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Riggs waving her revolver around after a huge Hand Cannon attack made my day.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This game has been pretty fun, I'm at 7/10 successful runs, I'm assembling bits of the story, its pretty cool!

My go to team has been Books, Max and Riggs, because Riggs is OP, and I feel like Max and Books synergize pretty well, with lots of exhaust cards, letting you cycle through your deck quickly to draw crystals faster and spend them faster.

I forgot that Dizzy got Corrosion and Payback, and having access to attacks every turn seems fairly important, so I didn't want to run such a shield-oriented character. I'll have to try him more.

One thing I'm having trouble with, is that every time I'm at a rest, I always want to upgrade. Some cards get SO MUCH better with upgrades, like Admin Deploy. How good are removes? What situation do I want to remove something instead of upgrading something? Coming from Slay the Spire, it makes sense that you want to remove strikes first because they're terrible and every attack you find will be better, but I feel like the odds of finding attacks in card rewards are slightly lower, and you start with so many non-attack cards that you don't really wanna lower your ability to attack every turn. between shooting down missiles/drones, enemy segments that you can shut down, and taking shots at weak spots when you have the opportunity attacks seem to be good to have.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dizzy is great, Peri is the only character I just dread playing. Game is super fun, the style and writing is good like Sunshine Heavy Industries was, and it's a very innovative take on the genre. Easy sale buy, I happily paid full price.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drake is OP. she is also badass. that is all

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This game is a lot of fun and also pretty funny and charming which not a lot of other games manage.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Dizzy is great, Peri is the only character I just dread playing. Game is super fun, the style and writing is good like Sunshine Heavy Industries was, and it's a very innovative take on the genre. Easy sale buy, I happily paid full price.

I've cleaned up with Peri a couple of times by comboing the first-shot-stuns artifact with boosting her double-tap damage.

That guy in the second zone that dodges on the first shot is a real son of a bitch with that build, though, lemme tell you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

A Moose posted:

One thing I'm having trouble with, is that every time I'm at a rest, I always want to upgrade. Some cards get SO MUCH better with upgrades, like Admin Deploy. How good are removes? What situation do I want to remove something instead of upgrading something? Coming from Slay the Spire, it makes sense that you want to remove strikes first because they're terrible and every attack you find will be better, but I feel like the odds of finding attacks in card rewards are slightly lower, and you start with so many non-attack cards that you don't really wanna lower your ability to attack every turn. between shooting down missiles/drones, enemy segments that you can shut down, and taking shots at weak spots when you have the opportunity attacks seem to be good to have.

You get about 6 pit stops a run usually I keep it to upgrades and just refuse to take cards that aren't excellent, because most of the starting cards are fine. Like, if you don't have Riggs you want to upgrade the basic dodge card to 0 cost pretty bad usually. I guess I can't imagine doing anything except upgradin Admin Deploy to B as soon as possible, and that then enables taking expensive cards which you want to upgrade as well.

I end most of my runs around 18 cards, and that's usually a bit unwieldy. I think I'm gonna try to do some remove only runs and see what happens.

Oh btw, here's an important Books and Max tip: Admin Deploy sets the cost of the card you choose to zero, so it can get hit with zero doubler, which is real good with some cards, say Ace.

grassy gnoll posted:

That guy in the second zone that dodges on the first shot is a real son of a bitch with that build, though, lemme tell you.

This guy is the worst. The only serious solution I've come up with for him is tricking him with one of the ships that gun toggles.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I love this game, I’ve collected about 2/3 of the total memories so I’m closing in on the ending.

It really cracked me up when I picked Books to receive a memory.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I tried a minimal card run, but I was having trouble cutting to under 10. I didn't really get any of the payoffs until after the second boss, so I was really hurting on damage with Dizzy, Riggs, and Peri, but finally I got flywheel which is pretty good once you've built a deck that draws about 9 cards a turn.

I reviewed some footage to determine the layout of each map. It appears that each stage has ten jumps the sixth jump is always an artifact, the ninth jump is always a repair yard, and the tenth is always the boss. Other than that two elites, two repair yards, and 3 events are spawned randomly on the map on jumps 2-5,7+8. In some cases (I think wehnever you're not on normal difficulty, but I'm not certain) a third elite spawns in the first zone. It also seems like the last zone usually has an elite spawn in a forced position on jump 8, but not always?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This is a nice game, with cute characters and a banging soundtrack. Thanks!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Also, Riggs is the best character, even if she has the worst taste in drinks.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

Dizzy is great, Peri is the only character I just dread playing.

Dizzy really compensates for Peri's weaknesses imo, and Peri's Inverter gets really fun with him. Have Dizzy invest all his cards into shield capacity and shields (and some temp shields for the turn you use inverter), and you can easily get 7 Overdrive per shuffle. Inverter is hard to use but when it lands it's so satisfying.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just really love the second boss theme, whole soundtrack is just so good.

Peri is pretty great if you can just get her setup with escalation cards and multishot in my opinion, and the extra damage is fantastic if you can get Riggs to draw Strafe at some point.

I have a lot of trouble with Drake since it seems like you need to pull a lot of her cards and artifacts to not just be worse Peri, now with more hurting yourself.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

Also, Riggs is the best character, even if she has the worst taste in drinks.

But she does have a cool gun, which makes up for it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

The Gemini
The Gemini has two guns and two bays which alternate activation with each action you take. This is interesting, but I'm not sure how good it is. It does let you launch multiple drones without moving though.

It's very finicky, and I've struggled with it a lot. Then again, I don't skip cards enough. By which I mean I don't remember ever having done it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Dizzy is great, Peri is the only character I just dread playing.

Oh God, I shudder thinking about playing with Max.

Also, managed to beat the game, as well as on hardest difficulty, no less!

Now all I have to do is take on the shopkeeper...

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Attack on Princess posted:

Riggs waving her revolver around after a huge Hand Cannon attack made my day.

Wait, I was gonna make fun of her for that but I just realized, Hand Cannon is her sticking her arm out the window and blasting with her stupid gun, isn't it? So yeah, that thing's pretty fearsome. D:

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Caidin posted:

I just really love the second boss theme, whole soundtrack is just so good.

the fact the name of it is "self defense" is so :kiss:

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I've been playing this co-op over screenshare over a couple of weeks now, and we finally unlocked all memories last session. Gods, what a game.
This has been absolute blast to play and all the dialogue is delightful, easily the most I've straight-up laughed out loud at a game in I don't know how long.

Either way: Drake is the best character, and EMP Slug is a stupid card to just get to start with. Heat has zero downsides ever.

e: also, does anyone else feel like the Ares is just miles ahead the strongest ship available?
Don't get me wrong, the others are very fun to play too (even if the Gemini breaks my brain to try and create lines of play for), but whenever we've stared an Ares run I've immediately gone "oh right, we're playing the good ship this time".

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 23, 2024

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

After having tried all the ships, the Jupiter felt the most OP when I got 3+ drones up (especially combined with stun shots).

Though I like the drones in general - the combination of repeatable damage and ability to block any amount of damage feels very powerful.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, the Ares is easily my favourite.

Small profile with one section being armoured, and if you get the artifact that armours your missile bay half your ship is now armoured.
And if you're lucky enough to get the artifact that let's you fire both guns it does some crazy damage.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Either way: Drake is the best character, and EMP Slug is a stupid card to just get to start with. Heat has zero downsides ever.

My favorite thing about Drake is what a loving loser she is, it's great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

My favorite thing about Drake is what a loving loser she is, it's great.

They're all such goddamn dorks, I love 'em.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Really didn't expect such a great ending to this little gem of a game.

I really enjoyed this game. I played the hardest difficulty mostly and I think it was pretty well balanced in that "you're gonna die if you make too many mistakes" kind of way. I enjoyed that any character combination seemed more than adequate for finishing runs. I think Books was my favorite character to use next to Riggs. As far as ships, I enjoyed all of them with the exception of the Tiderunner, that thing could get a little annoying. But I think the weakest ship in my playthroughs was the Gemini. Ares ended up my favorite.

Will probably continue to play here and there. Cast was good, gonna miss them for a bit!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 14, 2024

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
I had a few people recommend this to me, and I was very pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting the game to actually let me win the first game, although I had a few really lucky draws that helped with that. I suspect the game is a bit more generous the very first go-around.

The Gemini was a dubious reward for clearing a run with Isaac/Drake/Max, though. That is a very poor combination, and it took a few runs to pull it off. Mainly by ignoring Max's pulls as much as possible and leaning really hard on Isaac. Max is an interesting character but you need him paired with someone who has a lot of expensive card picks, and honestly I don't know if he's worth the fiddliness. I can see some interesting synergy with Riggs' massive card draws and that dice roller card to endlessly discard out of your hand for free attacks.

Shoutout to Dracula.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Max tends to be either dead weight, or he breaks the game in half. If you have good targets for Admin Deploy and/or Clean Exhaust, you'll be rolling in a ridiculous pile of buffs, and his various cards that exhaust other cards (Admin Deploy, Memory Leak, Total Cache Wipe) are the best ways to pare your deck for infinite combos.

I had one run with Clean Exhaust made buoyant with Lightspeed Boot Disk, plus two copies of Endless Magazine, Power Play B (3 energy for 1 powerdrive, no self-damage), and Overclock. Play Clean Exhaust on the first turn (hopefully with Admin Deploy), the the rest of those all cost zero, and by the first shuffle I'd have +3 damage on all attacks and 2 free attacks each turn. But yeah, he really likes working with Dizzy, Riggs, or Peri in particular.

E: Max doesn't have great synergy with Drake, but thinning your deck so you draw EMP Slug every other turn is really good. Isaac is probably the character with the worst synergy with Max (including characters 7 and 8) BUT they've got one insanely broken combo: Max's artifact Safety Lock applied to Isaac's Jupiter Drone (especially the A upgrade). Works especially well if you're drawing EMP Slug every turn :v:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 16, 2024

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Reviving this thread because I'm back into the game, and I ran into a neat gameplay detail I didn't notice before.

It's pretty clear that evil Riggs hates the hell out of the crew, especially stupid Riggs.
But this has a gameplay effect, if you attempt to "run" from her, that is fly way off to either side, she'll comment on it and actually overheat her ship getting in front of you again.

Hell, one run she actually blew herself up doing this.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pulsarcat posted:

Reviving this thread because I'm back into the game, and I ran into a neat gameplay detail I didn't notice before.

It's pretty clear that evil Riggs hates the hell out of the crew, especially stupid Riggs.
But this has a gameplay effect, if you attempt to "run" from her, that is fly way off to either side, she'll comment on it and actually overheat her ship getting in front of you again.

Hell, one run she actually blew herself up doing this.

:yarr: Riggs: First you steal my friends and now your just gonna run away?
:haw: Riggs: yeah?

A weird bit of dialogue there.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Pulsarcat posted:

I think it's less that she hates the crew, and more that 1) she resents their relative comfort of not starting each loop floating in space, alone and doomed to suffocate without quick thinking, not having died alone the first few hundred loops and more importantly 2) having found herself in a pretty comfortable position, she's desperate to stop them from breaking the loop and confronting the fact that the whole time loop thing is in very large part because she betrayed her friends.

She hosed up really bad, but as long as the time loop persists she can put off dealing with the consequences.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

I think it's less that she hates the crew, and more that 1) she resents their relative comfort of not starting each loop floating in space, alone and doomed to suffocate without quick thinking, not having died alone the first few hundred loops and more importantly 2) having found herself in a pretty comfortable position, she's desperate to stop them from breaking the loop and confronting the fact that the whole time loop thing is in very large part because she betrayed her friends.

She hosed up really bad, but as long as the time loop persists she can put off dealing with the consequences.

Yeah, it probably doesn't help that She's one of the few people that actually remembers each loop so that has too be traumatic.

It's honestly a pretty solid story surrounded by great characters.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I loved Cobalt Core but it was a bit too short and easy.

I don't get all the Peri hate, I always found her very consistent compared to Drake. Multi Shot is just a great starter (even if Lunge is awful), Escalate is fun, and Parry can instant win some fights.

I think Riggs is insane and move needed to be spread out more amongst the other characters, but everybody else felt roughly equal with Isaac a bit worse because of how specialized he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

I loved Cobalt Core but it was a bit too short and easy.

I don't get all the Peri hate, I always found her very consistent compared to Drake. Multi Shot is just a great starter (even if Lunge is awful), Escalate is fun, and Parry can instant win some fights.

I think Riggs is insane and move needed to be spread out more amongst the other characters, but everybody else felt roughly equal with Isaac a bit worse because of how specialized he is.

I've said it before, but Max was by far the hardest, most situational character for me.