Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

I didn't have any trouble with the controls on the PC. Just make sure that you don't have CPU throttling software as the game doesn't like that. I didn't think about that and ended up playing through the whole game at 2.2x regular speed. I've also heard that you need to force it to run on only one core. But no problems with the controls.

I had no problem running the Steam version on my Core 2 Duo with speed throttling enabled. I didn't need to force it to run on one core, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChimpyMonkey
Sep 11, 2001

Well, of course we're going to throw poo at him!
GoG just released Far Cry for $9.99. If I hadn't already bought it twice on Steam, I'd be grabbing it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ChimpyMonkey posted:

GoG just released Far Cry for $9.99. If I hadn't already bought it twice on Steam, I'd be grabbing it.

:raise: Why?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Yodzilla posted:

:raise: Why?
Part of the four game Ubisoft pack and when it was first released, methinks.

ChimpyMonkey
Sep 11, 2001

Plavski posted:

Part of the four game Ubisoft pack and when it was first released, methinks.

Close. I preordered FC2 so got the original as a bonus, and bought the Ubi classic pack recently.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ANy chance they'll have planetscape torment up in the future? It's the one game i've never got around to playing that I always wanted to

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Jiriam posted:

ANy chance they'll have planetscape torment up in the future? It's the one game i've never got around to playing that I always wanted to

Nope. No chance at all. Ever.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Jiriam posted:

As far as I'm aware EA own the rights to all games that use the Infinity Engine so until gog get a deal with EA, not Planescape, Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale will be available.

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...
Arrrghghhhh noooooo why do I own a MAC?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Epicurus posted:

Arrrghghhhh noooooo why do I own a MAC?

Do you post this in every thread in the entire forum

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There can't be any reason the GOG guys would have a problem with Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire would they? Are the rights still owned by Firaxis, some of the coolest dudes in the business?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I just finished all 4 sides in the Dark Prophecy campaign in Disciples II and started the Guardians of the Light campaign, but i couldnt believe my eyes reading the starting dialogues of the Undead campaign. The quality of writing went down the toilet in that second campaign. It read like some terrible fan-mission instead of official maps.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fallom posted:

There can't be any reason the GOG guys would have a problem with Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire would they? Are the rights still owned by Firaxis, some of the coolest dudes in the business?

I'd love to think this. I mean, I already have SMAC, and have played it as much as I'm going to, but it would excite me in horrible ways to have this game re-released. I'd love for it to take off like wildfire with a new generation of game players and get Firaxis on track to work a proper sequel with a brilliant and moddable AI. I would like this so much it virtually guarantees that it will never happen.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Charlie Mopps posted:

I just finished all 4 sides in the Dark Prophecy campaign in Disciples II and started the Guardians of the Light campaign, but i couldnt believe my eyes reading the starting dialogues of the Undead campaign. The quality of writing went down the toilet in that second campaign. It read like some terrible fan-mission instead of official maps.

The whole game is still shitloads of fun though. I can't wait for the Disciples 3.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fallom posted:

I'd love to see Alpha Centauri on here, especially since I've never owned it, and the expansion is lie $100+ on eBay. I played it briefly though, and liked what I saw.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

kode54 posted:

I had no problem running the Steam version on my Core 2 Duo with speed throttling enabled. I didn't need to force it to run on one core, either.

Maybe it's an AMD problem, then. I just know that it didn't get along with my Athlon 64 3500+. I was also using the boxed copy. GoG might have tweaked it so that it doesn't do that anymore so maybe this version won't have any problems.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

Maybe it's an AMD problem, then. I just know that it didn't get along with my Athlon 64 3500+. I was also using the boxed copy. GoG might have tweaked it so that it doesn't do that anymore so maybe this version won't have any problems.

If you still have this problem, I suggest installing the latest multi-core optimizer pack or whatever it is that AMD has for download. It keeps the processor timestamp in sync between cores for RDTSC, and it adds the /usepmtimer switch to your boot.ini so QueryPerformanceCounter uses a timer source other than RDTSC.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

weekend promo: Broken Sword 2 + 3 for 10 dollar.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone know why Broken Sword 1 isn't on GOG yet? Seems strange that they have both 2 and 3, but not 1.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

ymgve posted:

Anyone know why Broken Sword 1 isn't on GOG yet? Seems strange that they have both 2 and 3, but not 1.

One just got a remake on Wii and DS. Chances are they don't wanna cannibalize the sales just yet.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Fallom posted:

There's a new Alpha Centauri Complete pack, so somebody else might have the distribution rights for now. Then again, this looks like a UK-only thing, so maybe GoG can still grab the worldwide rights or something.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Halibut Barn posted:

There's a new Alpha Centauri Complete pack, so somebody else might have the distribution rights for now. Then again, this looks like a UK-only thing, so maybe GoG can still grab the worldwide rights or something.

My heart skipped a beat because I thought you were going to say it was on GoG now.

But wow, I bet a lot of people who have their oh-so-rare copies of Alien Crossfire are pissed now.

ChimpyMonkey
Sep 11, 2001

Today's releases:

ChimpyMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 7, 2009

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

ChimpyMonkey posted:

Today's release:

For :10bux: you'd think they would include the expansion packs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pavol Paska posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a shame that they didn't include them. But then there is a complete bundle you can buy on CD so that might be the reason why they haven't added them.
Now I just have to wait for Rainbow 6 to be added.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.

Plavski posted:

As far as I'm aware EA own the rights to all games that use the Infinity Engine so until gog get a deal with EA, not Planescape, Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale will be available.

Zombie Interplay still has the rights to those games as far as I know, but Atari picked up the D&D license shortly before Bioware's Neverwinter Nights was released.

Interplay is desperate for any money they can get, and I feel pretty confident they would have released their D&D games if they could. I'm guessing a digital distribution of the games counts as a new product, and as such, they can only do it if Atari buys the old IE games, or they can come to some sort of copublishing arrangement.

Ubisoft bought SSI in some form and I would guess they have the rights to the old D&D Gold Box games, but again, you can't buy them anywhere, even though I'm sure they'd sell well on GOG. Again, it would probably require an agreement with Atari to get them republished.

Or Wizards could give their publishing rights to a different company, which would probably create similar problems with the D&D branded games produced under Atari.

Finger Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 7, 2009

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Halibut Barn posted:

drat, I hope GoG can get this. I only ever got to play the demos.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fallom posted:

Alpha Centauri is owned by EA. So no EA games means no Alpha Centauri.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

If EA put even a fraction of their old games up on there I would not even hesitate to pick them up. Even the ones I own on CD-ROM and floppy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I still want my Crusader games, goddammit.

As of this morning, by the way, I have no idea what it is but Gorky 17 is now up for sale ($5.99). Extras include soundtrack and artwork.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Pavol Paska posted:

Ghost recon is $10 on steam and it's $5 per expansion.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

I still want my Crusader games, goddammit.

As of this morning, by the way, I have no idea what it is but Gorky 17 is now up for sale ($5.99). Extras include soundtrack and artwork.

It was a bad turn based tactics/survival horror game. Released as Odium in the States.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Mokinokaro posted:

It was a nice turn based tactics/survival horror game with puzzle-like combat and a great, dark atmosphere.

Fixed! :colbert:

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

FLX posted:

Fixed! :colbert:

The story was real poo poo though, especially the nonsensic ending. Otherwise the combat wasn't bad and, as you say, often puzzle-like.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Spring Promo: http://www.gog.com/en/page/spring_promo

Giants + Sacrifice
$ 8.98
(you save $ 3.00)

ToCA Race Driver 3 + Screamer
$ 11.98
(you save $ 4.00)

Arx Fatalis + Stonekeep
$ 8.98
(you save $ 3.00)

Painkiller Black + Redneck Rampage Pack
$ 11.98
(you save $ 4.00)

Second Sight + Messiah
$ 11.98
(you save $ 4.00)

Perimeter + Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
$ 11.98
(you save $ 4.00)

Freespace & Expansion + Freespace 2
$ 8.98
(you save $ 3.00)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
From @GOGCom on Twitter, they're having a spring promo sale, 25% off on select two-game bundles. Might be a response to Strategy First's spring sale on Steam. The following bundles seem to be available:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto + Sacrifice
ToCA Race Driver 3 + Screamer
Arx Fatalis + Stonekeep
Painkiller Black + Redneck Rampage Pack
Second Sight + Messiah
Perimeter + Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Freespace & Expansion + Freespace 2

Discounts seem to still be available if you already own one of the games in the bundle, and it knows which ones you already have if you're logged in.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/spring_promo

EDIT: too slow

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well that's tempting. TOCA 3 is a really good racing game. Once of the best actually. No idea about Screamer but I might have to give it a shot.

Second Sight is really good too for anyone looking for a unique story driven action game. :lol: Messiah but I never actually got around to playing that.

All in all this is a drat good deal. Now I'm tempted to buy something. :saddowns:

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Does anyone know the chances of the first or second AVP getting put up? Last time I checked, the rights for the games were owned by Fox interactive, but I have no idea if they would allow their games to be sold by something such as GOG.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Huh, that was weird. I tried 2 times to pay for these deals with my credit card, which has worked before on GOG and it came up with an error. I had to go through PayPal (still paying with my credit card through that, though), which worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

JazzFlight posted:

Huh, that was weird. I tried 2 times to pay for these deals with my credit card, which has worked before on GOG and it came up with an error. I had to go through PayPal (still paying with my credit card through that, though), which worked.

I had that happen when I tried to buy something from Gamersgate a few months ago. I think they (gamersgate, not sure about gog) changed their credit card processing to a european company, and my credit card didn't like that for some reason. Using paypal worked, though. Maybe it's a similar issue.