Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chinook posted:

Which of the handheld FE games hold up really well today? Which ones should I play, and in which order? I've basically missed the whole series.

Well there's only two handhelds, and FE7 is generally the better overall product (and comes with a tutorial that explains everything you need to know for the series) and longer, with two full game modes.

USA only has 7 to 10, you didn't miss much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's also Shadow Dragon.

But we don't talk about Shadow Dragon.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To clarify, Shadow Dragon (aka '11') is a remake of the very first Fire Emblem game (the one that had Marth in it), released about 20 years after the original and...well...despite their attempts at polishing it up the gameplay just doesn't hold up well and the story is poor.

7 is the one to go with, as it was localized with first-time players of the series in mind. 8 is also a good choice. (7 and 8 are not related, story-wise.)

Awakening is also looking like an excellent jumping on-point, as it's a sort of series retrospective, it's another original story, and it looks excellent in general (lots of people - myself included - have bought a 3DS to play this game).

e: VVV Of course, my mistake. I made the correction.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 29, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slate Action posted:

To clarify, Shadow Dragon (aka '10') is a remake of the very first Fire Emblem game (the one that had Marth in it), released about 20 years after the original and...well...despite their attempts at polishing it up the gameplay just doesn't hold up well and the story is poor.

7 is the one to go with, as it was localized with first-time players of the series in mind. 8 is also a good choice. (7 and 8 are not related, story-wise.)

Awakening is also looking like an excellent jumping on-point, as it's a sort of series retrospective, it's another original story, and it looks excellent in general (lots of people - myself included - have bought a 3DS to play this game).

But Radiant Dawn is 10. Shadow Dragon is 11.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Uh, guys? There definitely is a third GBA FE. That said, I wouldn't recommend touching 6 unless you've at least played 7, and you'll need a translation patch since it's Japan-only.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that one, like 12, hadn't been mentioned precisely because they're only playable by English speakers if you use a translation patch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

the answer to "Which Fire Emblem should I play??" is 7 or 9. Always 7 or 9.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Thank you, and the rest of the crew here, for spelling that out thoroughly. I've always wanted to get into Fire Emblem but the cavalcade of different games across so many platforms and the English/quasi-English relations between them were so confusing.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Well come the 4th it'll be "7, 9, or 13."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

7, 8, 9 are all good starting points. 8 is easier than every other FE and shorter than most that aren't on the NES but it's still by no means a bad game.

Also the only FEs that I say don't hold up today are 1, 2, and 3. Even FE4 on the SNES is still completely playable and enjoyable today, and holds up well when put up against modern games considering the fact that it was made nearly twenty years ago. Some of the mechanics there are a bit esoteric and the maps are way too big for their own good but it's still a good game. Though I wouldn't play it first since it's pretty drat hard, especially if you don't abuse the pairing system.

But yeah. 7, 8, or 9, then go from there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Fire Emblem is unlike most other strategy RPGs, but Disgaea is the one it's least like. The simple math, few attack types, short lifespans, and self-balancing action economy place a stronger emphasis on tactical positioning than on party composition. Comparing it to a pure strategy game like Advance Wars is not off base, as the counterattack, effective damage, and terrain systems function similarly.

Isn't it the AW team that makes them?

When I saw a gameplay demo of the 3DS one it reminded me of AW with swords which to be honest is the main thing that interested me. I miss AW so much, I bought and played the poo poo out of all of them :(

Never played an FE game specifically because the permadeath sounds annoying but after beating Ironman XCOM I've learned to accept letting a unit die forever. I also thought the gameplay looked too simple but if I think of it as an RPG Advance Wars that makes it more appealing :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are made by the same studio (Intelligent Systems) but as far as I know there's not a whole lot of shared personnel when it comes to design staff, or at least there hasn't been since they started releasing them internationally.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Intsys makes Fire Emblem and AW. There's also a casual mode in Awakening where character's don't die permanently.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are made by the same studio (Intelligent Systems) but as far as I know there's not a whole lot of shared personnel when it comes to design staff, or at least there hasn't been since they started releasing them internationally.

Then where the hell is 3DS Wars :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Then where the hell is 3DS Wars :(

They also made Paper Mario Sticker Star, Pushmo and Crashmo in the last eighteen months or so, plus they had to pull double-duty in providing 3DS dev kits during the early days of the 3DS, when Nintendo couldn't supply enough of them to third-party devs.

That being said, I'm guessing the real reason it's taking them so long is because the Japanese audience doesn't care nearly as much about AW as we do, and the last AW game didn't take off like they expected it to.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has there been any talk of a 3DS Wario Ware game? A quick Google search didn't turn up anything but it's always possible I missed something.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ, all this IS talk made me go look at their portfolio. They're behind Metroid too? :psyduck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems#Consoles

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

... and the last AW game didn't take off like they expected it to.

AW is supposed to be about friends sharing witty quips with each other while they send countless men to their deaths, and the most recent AW was decidedly not that.

Also the anti-tank gun addition completely destroyed the games balance due to its inexplicable ability to snipe helicopters out of the air.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just download the Awakening demo, and if you like that, it'll be out next Monday. No reason to waste money on any of the previous points in the series if you don't even know if you'll like it.

Unless you're in Europe I guess, in which case yeah, check out the ones recommended already.

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pomp posted:

Jesus christ, all this IS talk made me go look at their portfolio. They're behind Metroid too? :psyduck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems#Consoles

IntSys's main gig is building support tools and programming libraries, so their own games account for a relatively small percentage of their output.

Back in the day it was common for them to do the gruntwork for Gunpei Yokoi's old R&D1 division - Nintendo's designers would come up with an idea, send it to IntSys to program, make revisions on the test build, repeat until it was done. They did the programming for a whole bunch of classic NES/SNES/Game Boy games, but Fire Emblem was the first one they designed themselves.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

homeless snail posted:

Anything ulillillia likes is alright by me. Jumping Flash, Bubsy 3D, Disgaea.

Ulilllia got into Disgaea? That sounds amazing. I'm guessing he broke 20 million on his Yoshitsune. :v:

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Has anyone else listened to music on the 3DS XL using 3DS sound, while it's closed using headphones and in your pocket? I did this for about 3 hours, no I don't have an iPod, but after 3 hours the music stopped. I checked it wasn't the volume slider. I brought it out and was unusually warm, opened it up and both screens were black but the power light was still on. Nothing would display. It still shut down the same way, have to touch that spot on the touch screen. It still works normally now, but I guess I won't be doing this again?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Overheating by extended use plus having it stuck on a pocket near your body may have caused the system to freeze. Not a big concern, but letting it cool down occasionally in the future while doing this for a long time is probably a good idea, even if just taking it off your pocket for a few minutes.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Has anyone seen Last Window: Secret of Cape West go for cheaper than $22 shipped lately? If not, then I'm going to jump on that price from Amazon.

Also, how is it? Better, worse than Hotel Dusk?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

surf rock posted:

Last Window is more Hotel Dusk. Take that as you will.
I thought that hotel dusk was the best game on the system, it blew me away. And I still really loved last window, but despite it having more features and and a larger story, it has a bit less charm than Hotel Dusk.

Nevertheless, if you enjoyed Hotel Dusk, then there's no reason not to get Last Window. It's more of the film-noir style point and click adventure game fun. And it has some pretty fantastic puzzles.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SereneCrimson posted:

it has a bit less DeNonno charm than Hotel Dusk.

Fixed that for ya.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

surf rock posted:

Has anyone seen Last Window: Secret of Cape West go for cheaper than $22 shipped lately? If not, then I'm going to jump on that price from Amazon.

Ugh, I wish .ca had it also, .com won't ship video games to Canada

e: Oh awesome, this one worked. Can't wait to get my Kyle Hyde on!

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 29, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Ugh, I wish .ca had it also, .com won't ship video games to Canada

I believe .co.uk does. It's probably not going to be cheap, though.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
I ordered myself a red XL on sale from Best Buy and knocked down the original price of $180.71 to only 31 cents with a bunch of :greatgift: cards I had saved up. In the end, I still have more left over for Fire Emblem and then some. Can't wait til the 4th!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

dianekwon posted:

I ordered myself a red XL on sale from Best Buy and knocked down the original price of $180.71 to only 31 cents with a bunch of :greatgift: cards I had saved up. In the end, I still have more left over for Fire Emblem and then some. Can't wait til the 4th!

I'm about to pull the trigger on one as well, but does any one a better place to buy used 3DS games besides Gamestop?

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

BexGu posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on one as well, but does any one a better place to buy used 3DS games besides Gamestop?

I'm not sure if it's any better, but I check Amazon for their used games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BexGu posted:

Could always try SA Mart, as there always people selling 3DS/DS games there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I managed to score a bunch of the best DS games for 100 a few months ago on the Mart.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I needed a couple of pounds in my Amazon order to get free shipping, so I got the Hori screen protector for my 3DS XL. They were not exaggerating how totally easy it was to install. If anything, they were underselling it. So effortless, so easy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If you have never played a DS game, there is a huge library of great games just waiting for you (and mostly for cheap if you check SAmart).

I'm glad Nintendo made the 3DS able to play DS games. Been replaying the other Layton games.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I managed to score a bunch of the best DS games for 100 a few months ago on the Mart.

And now the trolling of SA Mart beings.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I wish SA Mart would be more popular with the Euro goons. I have a Tales of the Abyss to sell, while I'm looking for Kingdom Hearts 3D and Virtue's Last Reward for non-absurd ebay prices, but no luck so far checking there every other day.

I've been noticing that quite a few 3DS games in Europe are being printed in really limited quantities, lately, and my usual "oh, let's wait for it to drop in price a bit" isn't working as well as it used to what with some used games now going over the initial markup they had as new copies.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So, just did it. Got 3DS XL + Zelda OOT + Mario 3D + AC adaptor for £170. That's the same as the 3DS XL bundle with Mario Kart 7 on Amazon (no Zelda, no AC charger). I am now a 3DS XL owner, and it should be with me by the weekend.

Saoshyant, how much do you want for that Tales of the Abyss? (or is it exchange only?)

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Heads up, the cashier at ebGames(:canada:) told me that Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't have a Street date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Drizvolta posted:

Heads up, the cashier at ebGames(:canada:) told me that Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't have a Street date.

EB Games/Gamestop is never to be trusted.

• Locked thread