Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riso posted:

Fixed.

No, that would be giving away a Chinese Campaign and a Soviet one for the price of one game...that would degrade the value of the game to like it was being sold on steam for $3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not quite sure if this falls within Grognard Games (it was part of the old OP), but Dominions 3 The Awakening is currently 50% off on Gamersgate, 15 USD.

I have a couple of questions. 1. I have some extra money, so which is a better series, Dominions, Disciples, Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic? 2. In these series, which is the best game, or are they played better in chronological order? 3. Since these technically aren't "grognard" games, is there enough interest for a strategy mega-thread? I've already written an op section for turn-based games and could write one for real-time, unless someone else wants to.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gorilla Radio posted:

I have a couple of questions. 1. I have some extra money, so which is a better series, Dominions, Disciples, Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic? 2. In these series, which is the best game, or are they played better in chronological order? 3. Since these technically aren't "grognard" games, is there enough interest for a strategy mega-thread? I've already written an op section for turn-based games and could write one for real-time, unless someone else wants to.

Dominions 3 has produced some of the best LPs I've ever read on this forum, but the learning curve looks horrific.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dominions 3 has a thread here.

I remember when this was $60 and mail order only. They finally caved to online sales? I suck so bad at this game.

Looks like demos for mac/linux/windows is here.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 7, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Radio posted:

Dominions is so much more complex and involved that I'd set it apart from the other three. For one thing, you can't really play Dominions as a solitaire game because there are too many moving parts for the AI to deal with.

Of those three, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is still both the best introduction and best last-word of the fantasy turn-based sub-genre.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gorilla Radio posted:

I love Dominions but it is 100% a multiplayer game. You can technically play it singleplayer but the AI is so anemic you'll be running circles around it inside a week. For $15 it's a great buy if you're willing to play vs goons.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

uPen posted:

I love Dominions but it is 100% a multiplayer game. You can technically play it singleplayer but the AI is so anemic you'll be running circles around it inside a week. For $15 it's a great buy if you're willing to play vs goons.

The community surrounding Dominions is so anemic anymore since we lost so many players, its hard to even get games started. :( I'm hoping the LP that Incy is starting soon will bring some folks in (even if I have largely stopped playing), because it'll probably die otherwise.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Dom 3 is on sale here: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM3A/dominions-3-the-awakening

I loved all those series, and the best series is probably heroes of might and magic, 2 and 3 particularly, though I found 1 charming as well. After that it became a russian game and I dunno. Age of wonders shadow magic is the best in that series, also an amazing game and it has a ton of mod options and a very strong community. Dominions 3 is great but really a multiplayer game and the upkeep per turn can get annoying. Disciples has nice art work but it is probably the weakest series, 2 was a great game though and you will have fun. So maybe get shadow magic? Most of them are on gog.com so if you wait for a sale you can get most of them very cheap.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Nenonen posted:

No Soviets? That's... an interesting choice for a game purporting to be "spiritual successor to Allied General". Not that it makes the game bad or anything, I just wonder what their plans are...

My guess is that they intend to cover the Soviets next. Who knows, the Soviets might even get their own set of grand campaign DLCs.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

My guess is that they intend to cover the Soviets next. Who knows, the Soviets might even get their own set of grand campaign DLCs.

I would like to see an Imperial Corps game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
After Italian Corps, Romanian Corps, Free French Corps, Free Polish Corps and Finnish Corps, these Slitherine games are going to be more and more esoteric. Slovakian Corps? Danish Corps? At least the Korean Corps game is going to cover a wide number of fronts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Next in line is the inevitable zombie game, Walking Corps.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Dammit Slitherine! Everyone knows that the AP on a Tank Zombie is 6, not 4! My Realism!
(Also Boomers should be BR5, not 4.)

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Alchenar posted:

I'll be honest, I had really good fun with Panzer Corps, but by the time I'd reached the US invasion the charm had worn off. I also didn't feel any need to replay it, once you've beaten a map then you've beaten it.

I can admit I was a beta tester for Allied Corps and it's really, really, really loving good and plays different than Panzer Corps

gradenko_2000 posted:

After Italian Corps, Romanian Corps, Free French Corps, Free Polish Corps and Finnish Corps, these Slitherine games are going to be more and more esoteric. Slovakian Corps? Danish Corps? At least the Korean Corps game is going to cover a wide number of fronts.

I never thought i'd see the day when people get sick of what is essentially Panzer General. Hang your heads in shame, grognards. SHAME I SAY.

Anyway, their plans are the flesh out Allied Corps which will include playing as the Soviets in DLC.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 7, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was trying to make a joke about how they've split Panzer General into 2 games and Allied General into 1 game + (according to you) DLC.

Anyway, I'm still holding out for Panzer Corps to make it to Steam. I don't have anything against buying from Matrix if the dev isn't interested in porting the game anywhere else (and if I can afford it :homebrew:), but I bought Unity of Command from Gamersgate for a song and I'll be damned if I pass up Panzer Corps on Greenlight.

Hell, if War in Russia's UI wasn't so keyboard-ancient I'd rather play that for free than WITE. It even does a bunch of mechanics better.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was trying to make a joke about how they've split Panzer General into 2 games and Allied General into 1 game + (according to you) DLC.

Anyway, I'm still holding out for Panzer Corps to make it to Steam. I don't have anything against buying from Matrix if the dev isn't interested in porting the game anywhere else (and if I can afford it :homebrew:), but I bought Unity of Command from Gamersgate for a song and I'll be damned if I pass up Panzer Corps on Greenlight.

Hell, if War in Russia's UI wasn't so keyboard-ancient I'd rather play that for free than WITE. It even does a bunch of mechanics better.

I was joking too, silly! What kind of nerd tells people to hang their heads in shame.

I'm the nerd that spends 80 bucks for games with hexes!

edit: Allied Corps will be on Ipad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So anyone try this game? Civil War 1863 for the iOS. It actually looks at first glance like a real deal start game, and dare I say even slightly Age of Rifles.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civil-war-1863/id514588332?mt=8

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I have it. It's okay. It's like their tank battle games. Simple but gets harder.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

I take it from the lack of discussion that neither of the deals of the week on Matrix - Flashpoint Germany or CC: Modern Tactics, are that great?

Flashpoint has some interesting features. There are delays between giving orders to units and them carrying out the orders. I can't remember if it models jamming or not resulting in orders not being received, but it does model SIGINT interception and if you are giving orders too often they will locate your HQ and drop arty on it.

Philthy posted:

Dominions 3 has a thread here.

I remember when this was $60 and mail order only. They finally caved to online sales? I suck so bad at this game.

Looks like demos for mac/linux/windows is here.

They finally got away from Shrapnel Games, which is what kept the price up for so long.

vyshka fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 11, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Assault on Democracy is out for Strategic Command Global Conflict http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=231&Itemid=359

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Well, there goes my evening.

Dralun
May 22, 2012
Other than the offerings from HPS and Matrix's Eagle Day, might anyone be able to suggest an air war focused game?

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

You may remember, a while back I had the opportunity to interview Tomislav Uzelac, the lead developer of Unity of Command.
He was a really cool guy and I feel like I learned a lot about how games are made and why developers make the decisions they do regarding mechanics.

http://ritalingamer.com/uncategorized/item/29-interview-with-tomislav-uzelac-of-2x2-games.html

My interview with Ante Turadic, the AI developer, should go up on Armchair General any day now.

Let me know what you think.

As always, if you can't access the site, let me know and I'll go pound on the firewall with a wrench.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

As always, if you can't access the site, let me know and I'll go pound on the firewall with a wrench.

"403: Access Forbidden

Your location (PH) has been blacklisted."

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

You may remember, a while back I had the opportunity to interview Tomislav Uzelac, the lead developer of Unity of Command.
He was a really cool guy and I feel like I learned a lot about how games are made and why developers make the decisions they do regarding mechanics.

http://ritalingamer.com/uncategorized/item/29-interview-with-tomislav-uzelac-of-2x2-games.html

My interview with Ante Turadic, the AI developer, should go up on Armchair General any day now.

Let me know what you think.

Print this out and send it to every Matrix and Slitherine employee/contributor.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

"403: Access Forbidden

Your location (PH) has been blacklisted."

Should be fixed now.

Jakse posted:

Print this out and send it to every Matrix and Slitherine employee/contributor.

Hah! Let's all do that, with a copy of Unity of Command's sales figures stapled to it. Then maybe they'll take a break from contemplating their navels to make more innovative games that aren't priced in firstborn children.

EDIT:

If you're interested in Unity of Command and the story Tomislav tells in my interview, my buddy Charlie Hall covers more of it in his piece for Polygon, found here: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/5/14/4319958/unity-of-command-the-unlikely-origin

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 14, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necroneocon posted:

I have it. It's okay. It's like their tank battle games. Simple but gets harder.

Yeah, I've had fun playing it today, but it's definitely not an easy game on Standard..well I could just suck too. Still well worth the $1.99 for it and the feeling that I'm playing Age of Rifles again (it's far more simplistic than AOR) on the go.

I wish more games for iOS like this (and more complex ones) would come out. Hell someone could just port AOR to iOS and I'd be happy with it. Seriously who even owns the rights to Age of Rifles? It would be interesting to see if they could be purchased and then licenced out to places like GOG for Win7/8 versions, mobile port ,etc.

I will never give up on the dream of Age of Rifles running easily on a modern system or mobile.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Hey Lord Windy, do your freaking WITE turn ya jerk. Its been like 5 weeks and you haven't even giving me an explanation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my wife and I are visiting my parents for ny sisters birthday and while looking for my Age of Rifles manaul (which I found in mint condition) I also found some military history magazines from 1998 filled with grognard game ads. When I get home tonight I'll scan them. One gem is for the first release of TOAW Volume 1.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Neat trick for Unity of Command. After the enemy's turn comes back to you:

Press CTRL-H to enter History Mode

Click the "Back Action" button on the top bar (looks like a "<") to rewind by one action. Since it's the start of your turn, going back one action takes you to the final action of your enemy's turn

Press S to enter Supply Mode

You get to see your enemy's supply lines

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Click the "Back Action" button on the top bar (looks like a "<") to rewind by one action. Since it's the start of your turn, going back one action takes you to the final action of your enemy's turn

I bought this game on a lark to tide me over a weekend trip. It's a really neat puzzler but this'll just break the game :getin:

e: VVV ehh true I found that out after I played with it for a while. 15 hours in and all I'm doing is savescumming scenarios to get brilliant victories :shobon:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 16, 2013

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Koesj posted:

I bought this game on a lark to tide me over a weekend trip. It's a really neat puzzler but this'll just break the game :getin:

Neat trick, but I don't think it will "break the game." All that information is available, it's just not displayed. This just lets you skip the mental math/visualization.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Neat, I've always been annoyed that this isn't displayed in-game because it gives you all the information to figure out their supply map yourself you just have to spend 30 seconds counting hexes and figuring it out yourself.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

Neat, I've always been annoyed that this isn't displayed in-game because it gives you all the information to figure out their supply map yourself you just have to spend 30 seconds counting hexes and figuring it out yourself.

Oh god this is such a Matrix games post but... figuring it out yourself is actually helpful because it forces you to understand the supply system rather than just respond to it.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Oh god this is such a Matrix games post but... figuring it out yourself is actually helpful because it forces you to understand the supply system rather than just respond to it.
But then by the same token could you not apply this to player supply? I don't think that displaying the supply range of the enemy is an actual advantage, it just simplifies information that you could get anyways. I think if UoC displayed it then that would be great because the game would remove one of the few things that remind me of other titles in which you have to figure things out for yourself just because they're poorly displayed. Its not that enemy supply isn't demonstrated already, its evident and its easy to figure out, this would be a feature that saves a couple minutes from every game, and would just visualize readily available information. I think UoC gives you plenty in regards of understanding the supply system since the AI is so good at cutting up your own lines if you give it half a chance.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I found out I can get Age of Rifles to work on my Samsung Galaxy III :getin:

I assume it works fine on any modern smart phone or Android Tablet (even better on the latter).

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

gfanikf posted:

So I found out I can get Age of Rifles to work on my Samsung Galaxy III :getin:

I assume it works fine on any modern smart phone or Android Tablet (even better on the latter).

Details? Or is it just Android DOSbox'ing or something? 'cause I have a rooted (CM10.2) Nook Color that, while underpowered, runs Combat Mission Touch OK. AoR should be fine, I'd think.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Details? Or is it just Android DOSbox'ing or something? 'cause I have a rooted (CM10.2) Nook Color that, while underpowered, runs Combat Mission Touch OK. AoR should be fine, I'd think.

Dosbox Turbo and DoxBox Manager Apps from the play store, so yeah Android Dosboxing, but it works really nicely and runs smoothly. Still can't get sound to work, but can anyone on any modern computer? lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gfanikf posted:

Still can't get sound to work, but can anyone on any modern computer? lol

Yes. :c00lbert:

Want to see my DOSbox settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Yes. :c00lbert:

Want to see my DOSbox settings?

Yes. I swear I did get it to work with the CDs when I still had the...but please tell me your secrets.