Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

seorin posted:

You can also try to level with Fieldleves from any Levemete you've unlocked with your main class. However, Fieldleves are terrible. Unless you have more allowances saved up than you know what to do with, don't bother. They're only marginally faster than just grinding, and you don't get to keep the items you harvest.

Everybody says this, but I gotta wonder if you're doing them wrong or something. I get WAAAAY more XP from doing fieldleves than from just grinding. You don't get to keep the mats, true, that's the tradeoff. But I get like seriously twice as much XP than if I'd spent that time grinding. I really, really don't think this is true.

Especially that slower boring middle 15-30 part, tradeleves are the way to do it. Grinding slows down and takes foreeeever.

Make sure you get the +25% or +35% bonus from the ones that have you turn in items to meet a certain quality. Its very easy to reach the number (320?) every single time as long as you're even remotely geared for your level. I turn these in over and over with the highest bonus every single time. Its definitely worth it. If you're not getting the bonus you're doing it wrong, and that would explain why it doesn't feel "worth doing". I've never failed to get the top quality bonus. Its really easy; don't go for the harder material. Slow and steady wins the race. Gather the one that has a higher chance over and over and over, and the 7s add up more than a spotty 9 here and there would.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Periodiko posted:

And then there's the pugilist class chain. :D

For every dick joke, there's something really sad to balance it out in this game.

Like in Coerthas. Hey, could you please dig out my wife from this avalanche that killed her and bring me her wedding ring?
*later*
Oh, thank you. Now she's free to remarry in the afterlife. She was really young and beautiful so I'm sure she'll find someone.
But if I could dare to hope, I'd wish she would wait for me... :smith:

:negative:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody says this, but I gotta wonder if you're doing them wrong or something. I get WAAAAY more XP from doing fieldleves than from just grinding. You don't get to keep the mats, true, that's the tradeoff. But I get like seriously twice as much XP than if I'd spent that time grinding. I really, really don't think this is true.

Especially that slower boring middle 15-30 part, tradeleves are the way to do it. Grinding slows down and takes foreeeever.

Make sure you get the +25% or +35% bonus from the ones that have you turn in items to meet a certain quality. Its very easy to reach the number (320?) every single time as long as you're even remotely geared for your level. I turn these in over and over with the highest bonus every single time. Its definitely worth it. If you're not getting the bonus you're doing it wrong, and that would explain why it doesn't feel "worth doing". I've never failed to get the top quality bonus. Its really easy; don't go for the harder material. Slow and steady wins the race. Gather the one that has a higher chance over and over and over, and the 7s add up more than a spotty 9 here and there would.

Fieldleves are the bomb. I was playing around with FSH and got to 15, decided to check out the fieldleves and just turning in the stacks and stacks of fish and HQ fish I already had in my inventory got me immediately to level 21. Of course there is the matter of the remaining and almost completely worthless fish I am left with, this game needs a fish based weapon class / job. Maybe some sort of seafaring carp flinging ninja to round out FSH as being economically viable.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

The Chairman posted:

I linked to it. I didn't want to put the entire thing in the OP because I thought a couple paragraphs about combat and then five pages about crafting would've been an odd balance.

Thanks! A link is perfect since then I can update it as I get new info. For example, I'll probably include a section about dyes eventually.

Edit:

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think the bonus ones are always available, or at least not from each levemete. I'll add this info to the guide after playing around with it some more.

seorin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 16, 2013

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!
What the hell even happened here :psyduck:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aladar posted:

I've seen a few dead people hanging around town. I can only imagine some divine retribution was happening.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Fieldleves are the bomb. I was playing around with FSH and got to 15, decided to check out the fieldleves and just turning in the stacks and stacks of fish and HQ fish I already had in my inventory got me immediately to level 21. Of course there is the matter of the remaining and almost completely worthless fish I am left with, this game needs a fish based weapon class / job. Maybe some sort of seafaring carp flinging ninja to round out FSH as being economically viable.

Fishing is actually more like a crafting leve than a tradeleve. We're talking about botany and mining here really, which lots of people think are a waste, but I disagree with.

Fishing is obviously worth it, nobody disagrees with that. But you get to keep the fish, so that clearly isn't what we're talking about, that's different. You can turn in HQ fish there and get HQ fish.

With botany / mining leves, it works completely different. You can't turn in HQ, and you don't get the mats you gather while on the quest. Its more like a combat leve where you have to go to an area and "initialize" the leve.

seorin posted:

I don't think the bonus ones are always available, or at least not from each levemete. I'll add this info to the guide after playing around with it some more.

That's definitely true, I make a point to look for those. Its just the same as doing crafting tradeleves, do you want to do the quest where you have to turn in 4 iron-hammers or the one where you turn in 1 pickaxe? :v: I mean its just obvious, the xp rewards are the same. Read yo quests. Make a note of which are fast and give good XP.

That said, I didn't find the other gathering quests to be a complete waste of time, which is what everybody in this thread makes them out to be. But definitely the quality ones are the best reward.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 16, 2013

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there an item that poisons you? People would play "jokes" in town in FFXI by killing themselves with poison potions and just hanging out. I never understood it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Aladar posted:

Usually when I see this, I assume they failed some kind of instance and are waiting for a raise. At least, that's the majority of cases I've found.

Speaking of which, getting an off-brand version of raise as a DPS class is pretty sweet. Arcanists rock.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Aladar posted:

I've had that happen to me when I try to leave an instance when I'm going to die soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aladar posted:

From playing EQ, FFXI, and even WoW to some extent, lots of players are trained to wait for a rez. Even though in FFXIV this is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. But that's the breaks. :v:

Its the same as why everybody fights things solo. In this game, all you have to do is deal 20% of the damage and you get credit, you get XP just the same and you even get quest credit.

You can go through your quests 10x faster if you just whack everything everybody else is fighting. There's absolutely no need to be the first to target a mob.

And yet, because people are used to FFXI/WoW, they assume you have to have the mob tagged to get full credit. In Square's defense on this one, the game actually did have a popup which tells you this very clearly, the person who tags gets full credit automatically, and everybody else gets credit if they contributed enough.

And yet here I am level 30 and there's still people all around me that run after a mob, but then when I tag it, they ignore it and go looking for new ones. Then I /t them and let them know, and they're like "oh poo poo really?" :doh:

I do love how some people simultaneously bitch that the game is too easy / tells you too much obvious information, and then later complain there's things they didn't know (Like the threat meters). Pick one, dudes.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I haven't seen a bad class storyline. Paladin has an ehhhhhhhhh moment at 45 but that it for me so far.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

And yet here I am level 30 and there's still people all around me that run after a mob, but then when I tag it, they ignore it and go looking for new ones. Then I /t them and let them know, and they're like "oh poo poo really?" :doh:

Usually I do this because I can tell other people are going to kill the mob too fast for me to be able to get credit. And the rez thing is usually just because I don't feel like teleporting all the way from horizon back to wherever I was/hoofing it on chocobo.

I make sure to rez every corpse I come across, unless they're being an rear end. Thankfully, I haven't found and cases of this, yet. I have found plenty of cases of somebody failing an instance, being raised, and then turning around to find somebody else who failed the same instance in need of a rez. It's especially hilarious when I have no trouble with that instance.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

From playing EQ, FFXI, and even WoW to some extent, lots of players are trained to wait for a rez. Even though in FFXIV this is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. But that's the breaks. :v:

Its the same as why everybody fights things solo. In this game, all you have to do is deal 20% of the damage and you get credit, you get XP just the same and you even get quest credit.

You can go through your quests 10x faster if you just whack everything everybody else is fighting. There's absolutely no need to be the first to target a mob.

And yet, because people are used to FFXI/WoW, they assume you have to have the mob tagged to get full credit. In Square's defense on this one, the game actually did have a popup which tells you this very clearly, the person who tags gets full credit automatically, and everybody else gets credit if they contributed enough.

I do love how some people simultaneously bitch that the game is too easy / tells you too much obvious information, and then later complain there's things they didn't know (Like the threat meters). Pick one, dudes.

That is really awesome and I did not know about this at all, thank you!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Am I missing something regarding mining fieldleves? My miner is is lvl21 and the only levemate that I've come across that actually had mining fieldleves was in Horizon and they were lvl15.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fantastic OP. I'm in on Exodus as "Heeeeeeeere's Johnny", I'll apply to the FC.

I wanted to bring something up in case anyone had a solution for this. I'm playing mainly as a tank thus far and I'm finding it really difficult to tab target in cases where there are other tab-targetable things in the distance. Is there a way of adjusting the radius for tabbing? It's frustrating to tanking 2 mobs, guess you're losing threat on the untargeted one, press tab->3 or whatever to switch and throw a shield, and accidentally end up tagging a patrol that was 20 or so feet away. I never had this problem in WoW. I kind of can't wait for a unitbars mod for this game that might show threat without having to have the unit selected. If this exists already please let me know.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

Doublestep posted:

Get ready for fun.

Is this "get ready for fun" in the sense of ice cream or "get ready for fun" in the sense of gouging my brain out with a spoon?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

the person who tags gets full credit automatically, and everybody else gets credit if they contributed enough.

I abuse the poo poo out of this as a Conjurer in FATEs. It's the least they can do for making the rest of my life a never ending circle of Aero/Stone/Stone/Stone/Stone/Aero...

Anyways random stuff I haven't figured out in fifteen hours of playing: how do you toggle languages? What do all of the icons to the left of monsters' names mean? I hear tell that you can see the threat of your party members (not just your own) in relation to your target somehow - where is this at?

VelociBacon posted:

I wanted to bring something up in case anyone had a solution for this. I'm playing mainly as a tank thus far and I'm finding it really difficult to tab target in cases where there are other tab-targetable things in the distance. Is there a way of adjusting the radius for tabbing? It's frustrating to tanking 2 mobs, guess you're losing threat on the untargeted one, press tab->3 or whatever to switch and throw a shield, and accidentally end up tagging a patrol that was 20 or so feet away. I never had this problem in WoW. I kind of can't wait for a unitbars mod for this game that might show threat without having to have the unit selected. If this exists already please let me know.

You can adjust it to just currently aggro targets, etc. and filter based on whether your weapon is drawn or not. It's under character configuration. Also nice name.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Am I missing something regarding mining fieldleves? My miner is is lvl21 and the only levemate that I've come across that actually had mining fieldleves was in Horizon and they were lvl15.

Head over to Quarrymill in the Black Shroud.

Sheep posted:

What do all of the icons to the left of monsters' names mean? I hear tell that you can see the threat of your party members (not just your own) in relation to your target somehow - where is this at?

Also wondering about these thing.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Doublestep posted:

I haven't seen a bad class storyline. Paladin has an ehhhhhhhhh moment at 45 but that it for me so far.

Really? I thought the 45 quest made up for the dull-rear end "HONOR! HONOR! HONOR? HONOR!" from 30 to 40. It's funny when the Sultansworn captain realizes he's being played and the Roegadyn guy is the sole good guy in all of this.

Visteri
Apr 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know, I usually pick a different mob because I rarely do enough damage to get credit for one someone else is fighting. I guess they don't realize that all they have to do is claim it and then leave it alone in order to get credit, since usually they just start attacking all the harder when they notice that someone else is trying to kill their mob.

I'm able to get credit like half the time, but most of the time I'd rather not deal with it unless the other person is also not a DPS class.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
My copy arrived earlier today and I rolled on Excalibur. Hit level 11 so far as my catgirl Thaumaturge. Pretty freakin fun so far.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just want to verify, if I buy a Digital CE from GMG, can I apply the items code to my own account and give the code for the game itself to a friend? I know you can buy an upgrade from SE but they don't have any 25% off codes going right now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

sound_again posted:

Is this "get ready for fun" in the sense of ice cream or "get ready for fun" in the sense of gouging my brain out with a spoon?

I would say ice cream.

Field leves rock. Yeah, the exp you get for completion isn't so hot, but that ignores racking up 5 chains which isn't something you normally get to do.

gently caress crafting in this game. Or at least, alchemy. Got it to 50 to wear my swank science outfit and now I doubt I will ever do any crafting again. 200k in materials to do 45-50 and finish up the questlines. My god drat bank account :argh:

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Ha ha. I saw you last night while I was running around and was going to make a joke about your name in FC chat, then realized I was lazy and unfunny. I had a blast sitting in mumble and listening to the conversations.

Also, for anyone on the fence. Great game. Been chasing that WoW BC era fun I had. Rift, SWTOR, Neverwinter all failed me and I got really bored. This game is flat out fun to play.

Also, I think they reenabled digital downloads on the main SE site.

http://store.na.square-enix.com/DRH...00#.UgMUBpI3Byz

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Kenny Rogers posted:

Yes, and there's a quest earlier in Ul'dah where you save a woman from a dude with a weird Fro-Hawk, who clearly is seeking a little...compelled consent alone time. You save her, and she's all "THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME!"
My thought (as was the SO's - so either it's not an uncommon thought for people to have, the alternative storytelling is way obvious, or we're both super terrible people...) was "drat, you sure are some kind of a trusting sort, leaping right to the conclusion that I was saving you from him, as opposed to, say, for myself, here in this...terrible part of town...where might gets you the stuff you want."

Game needs handlebar moustaches to twist.

Isn't there full on gang-rape implied in a story quest? At one of the desert maps, you are dealing with a tribe's youths. One of the girls gets taken hostage by an enemy group and is surrounded, and taunted, while they do things to her.

Visteri
Apr 2, 2011

Baldbeard posted:

Isn't there full on gang-rape implied in a story quest? At one of the desert maps, you are dealing with a tribe's youths. One of the girls gets taken hostage by an enemy group and is surrounded, and taunted, while they do things to her.
There is a hell of a lot of implied rape in this game.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Visteri posted:

There is a hell of a lot of implied rape in this game.

Ridiculous. Some quests go from zero to HOLYSHIT in just a few lines of text.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Travis343 posted:

Just want to verify, if I buy a Digital CE from GMG, can I apply the items code to my own account and give the code for the game itself to a friend? I know you can buy an upgrade from SE but they don't have any 25% off codes going right now.

What items code? It's one code.

So no, you can't do that. Buy the CE upgrade from SE.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Baldbeard posted:

If you mean Little Ala Mhigo then yeah, it is kinda implied there. But there's a lot of implied stuff about how the refugees are treated, if you pay attention. Eorzea isn't exactly a very friendly place to outsiders, especially in Gridania and Ul'dah.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Magus42 posted:

What items code? It's one code.

So no, you can't do that. Buy the CE upgrade from SE.

I got a separate code for my pre-order items so I thought maybe this was the same deal. Dang.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

Doublestep posted:

I haven't seen a bad class storyline.

I wasn't a huge fan of Gladiator, to be honest. The fact that it was pretty much "check it out! Look how COOL Aldis is! Look we're gonna throw you into a mission where he does like 400 damage per hit! By the way, he's actually kind of a douche, BUT LOOK HE'S SO COOL HERE HE IS DUELING LEAVOLD HE'S SO AWESOME AND DREAMY" seriously rubbed me the wrong way, especially since I didn't like his character at all.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Lance Streetman posted:

There is definitely some dark stuff in this game, though. Wait'll you get to the Hakkue Manor questline.

Or right after you face ifrit and go back to the waking sands where you learn that they had to execute all of those innocent people you just saved because they had the unfortunate luck to be touched by a primal.

Doublestep posted:

Lancer felt kinda dull, though Dragoon is making up for it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You can't say that Foulques wasn't an interesting character.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

Eorzea isn't exactly a very friendly place to outsiders, especially in Gridania and Ul'dah.

The Gridanians are such assholes I find their entire town repellant :mad:

But I like the Shroud a lot, it has some of my favorite areas in the game :3:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Ignimbrite posted:

You can't say that Foulques wasn't an interesting character.

The Foulques stuff never seemed to have a good payoff. When he did show up during the Lancer stuff, though... :allears:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

victrix posted:

The Gridanians are such assholes I find their entire town repellant :mad:

But I like the Shroud a lot, it has some of my favorite areas in the game :3:

I'm having a very hard time enjoying the cities because of the lack of a map system that shows flow from one area into another on the same page. I can't be the only one that finds them confusing?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm having a very hard time enjoying the cities because of the lack of a map system that shows flow from one area into another on the same page. I can't be the only one that finds them confusing?

The cities are indeed pretty terrible, especially Limsa whatever. It's always such a pain trying to figure out where you need to go, not to mention all the wasted, unused space that is just devoted to making you run farther because immersion or whatever.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

What starting zone did you guys enjoy the most?

I don't really care about the initial class since I can change easily enough later, but when I tried out the game on a friend's account, I started in Gridania which felt kind of... meh. I actually felt like Gridania was kind of disorienting and found it really confusing to get around. :buddy: Are Uldah or Limsa better? I know it's kind of s ubjective question, but am still curious. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

VelociBacon posted:

There's a region connection map, and you can click the names of regions on borders to see adjoining regions' maps.

• Locked thread