Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I finally watched the first Dragonball Z Broly movie.

I thought it was hilarious how Vegeta spends 3/4 of the movie searching for the Legendary Super Saiyan, all hot-blooded ready to kill him upon first contact, then does a complete 180 and cowers in the corner when he finds him.

I mean, what did he expect was gonna happen when he found him? He went from full gun-ho confidence to the timid nature of a newly born fawn just like that. The change was so radical it was jarring.

White Light fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BMB5150 posted:

Ah I see the reason why the Budokai HD releases had the Burst Limit OST instead of the original. I still like the original, but now check out Stratovarious. :v

With Budokai, things get much more egregious (most of the examples don't play anymore but the video description has a list).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Parrotine posted:

I finally watched the first Dragonball Z Broly movie.

I thought it was hilarious how Vegeta spends 3/4 of the movie searching for the Legendary Super Saiyan, all hot-blooded ready to kill him upon first contact, then does a complete 180 and cowers in the corner when he finds him.

I mean, what did he expect was gonna happen when he found him? He went from full gun-ho confidence to the timid nature of a newly born fawn just like that. The change was so radical it was jarring.

The movies generally are just copies of the last 40 or so episodes of when they were made.

Honestly, they're pretty blatant cash-ins, especially as the writers clearly just copy characterizations and moments that Toriyama wrote without any of the buildup or necessary dramatic moments.

So Vegeta going from braggart to crying was a condensed version of of the entire Namek saga Vegeta in 70 minutes.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Freakazoid_ posted:

With Budokai, things get much more egregious (most of the examples don't play anymore but the video description has a list).

What's funny it took over 10 years and seeing he's been doing stuff since 93 so 20 years without saying hey this guy is straight up plagiarizing other music. And in that video I like how Yamamoto took inspiration from a song that Funimation used for one of their songs they got from Disturbed.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mister Roboto posted:

The movies generally are just copies of the last 40 or so episodes of when they were made.

Honestly, they're pretty blatant cash-ins, especially as the writers clearly just copy characterizations and moments that Toriyama wrote without any of the buildup or necessary dramatic moments.

So Vegeta going from braggart to crying was a condensed version of of the entire Namek saga Vegeta in 70 minutes.

That, and Vegeta sorta does that a lot. He acts like the biggest badass in the world until poo poo gets real and he suddenly realizes what a loving moron he is (even if he needs to get wrecked to have it better illustrated for him).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The only reason his confidence shatters before getting his rear end beaten in that movie is because he's such a nerd about Saiyan history and whatnot that once Broly snapped he realized just what he had gotten himself into. Against the Androids, he had no idea how strong they were since nobody could sense their energy, but I'm willing to bet once Cell got going Vegeta realized he wasn't going to win. Against Frieza, that was more just a case of sheer overestimation of his own power.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Last Celebration posted:

Why would you buy Z instead of Kai or the manga? Even if Kai's disks are more expensive, you're basically getting more anyway with the filler cut out. And Freeza not sounding like an old woman.

Some of the very best parts of dragon ball z were filler.

The fun adventure stuff they make up in between was great, its the fights being stretched out forever that sucked.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WTF is going on with Jeice's head.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still feel like the Buu saga was Toriyama's chance to break off with Goku and focus entirely on the kids and Gohan sort of being the protagonist, saving his little brother and Trunks from too much trouble and they could have dialed significantly cut down on the "threats to Earth" hijinks.

Can't change what we got, but it is almost making DBGT feel like it was starting out right.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mordaedil posted:

I still feel like the Buu saga was Toriyama's chance to break off with Goku and focus entirely on the kids and Gohan sort of being the protagonist, saving his little brother and Trunks from too much trouble and they could have dialed significantly cut down on the "threats to Earth" hijinks.

That's exactly what Toriyama was trying to do, introducing this new generation of kids as the main characters. At the end of Cell, Vegeta flat out said he wouldn't fight again, the humans admitted they were outclassed, Goku was dead, etc.

Toriyama then admitted he just couldn't make it work.

In another universe, Shonen Jump gave Toriyama a year off to recharge instead of making him keep going, and he was able to come up with a far better Buu saga.

Wish we lived in that universe.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The fun adventure stuff they make up in between was great, its the fights being stretched out forever that sucked.

I know you said Z, but I will never forgive the anime for making those "Goku goes to the ice cavern" episodes when getting the Ultra Divine Water in the Piccolo saga.

e: You can also blame the anime for being the reason those fights did drag on as long as they did.

Also the Buu saga is still my least favorite saga of Z, but if he stuck with how it started (Great Saiyaman and all that) I'd probably dislike it even more. That first part of the Buu saga is boring, and I feel a lot of other people thought the same way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DBZ's first episode starts with filler and it's not the good kind.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sex_Ferguson posted:

DBZ's first episode starts with filler and it's not the good kind.

I remember as a kid being pissed that the Ocean dub cut out a good chunk of the filler (including most of that first episode). They were really just doing us American kids a favor.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Does anybody know why the First Season has been under review on Amazon for about a week now?

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-ray-Sean-Schemmel/dp/B00F9IB1M4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was just about to order it. Is something wrong with the set?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

crankdatbatman posted:

I know you said Z, but I will never forgive the anime for making those "Goku goes to the ice cavern" episodes when getting the Ultra Divine Water in the Piccolo saga.

e: You can also blame the anime for being the reason those fights did drag on as long as they did.

more yajirobe=better

Dragon ball was a lot better about the fights. I think the longest one was 5/6 episodes between Piccolo and Goku at the tournament, which made sense for this big bad they developed so long and as the culmination of that series (well what should have been, that goku-chichi adventure isn't exactly an example of good filler).

From what I remember they didn't go crazy dragging fights on until Captain Ginyu vs Goku where they spent like 3 episodes on that and then 3 more after the body switch, paving way for to all the mind numbing Freeza fluff. As a kid it was crazy epic watching Goku go SSJ for the first time but it didnt take long to realize I was rushing home from school every day to watch them go back and forth still without ever advancing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Well yeah, no one's denying that Piccolo and Goku taking driving lessons isn't amazing, but you can just look up all the good filler on YouTube, since like 90% of the filler stories are (probably) boring stuff like Fake Namek.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fake Namek was the worst.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

most of the filler was crap. two words: garlic junior.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't mind Garlic Junior

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

bowmore posted:

Fake Namek was the worst.

God it was. It really was.
Garlic Junior was dumb as poo poo but at least it was a proper story with a beginning middle and end.

Krillin has no excuse for not cutting that bastard in half though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think Frieza was the height of the stretched out battles, what with 5 minutes apparently lasting multiple hours worth of show. While Mr. Satan is great, the Cell Games could have done with a lot fewer cuts to the humans cowering behind a rock.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Monaghan posted:

most of the filler was crap. two words: garlic junior.

You shut your whore mouth.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

swamp izzo posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

People need to refresh my memory as to why this was good because all I remember is the bad guy being an idiot and defeating himself the exact same way for the second time.

Also I know that power levels are bullshit, but come on, a guy weaker then raditz can somehow take on take on piccolo, a guy who fought second form frieza, just because of some star.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Monaghan posted:

People need to refresh my memory as to why this was good because all I remember is the bad guy being an idiot and defeating himself the exact same way for the second time.

Also I know that power levels are bullshit, but come on, a guy weaker then raditz can somehow take on take on piccolo, a guy who fought second form frieza, just because of some star.

what else are you gonna do in the deadzone besides deadlift

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Deadzone training is brutal I imagine, helps that he is immortal for recovery time too I guess

Also I'd be happy to cut out the cell games entirely except perfect cell vs goku

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Monaghan posted:

Honestly, it's not that bad. He opens up the dead zone to torture his hated enemies, because what the hell are they going to do? Throw him in again? He literally just escaped, the thing can't hold him any more.

He simply doesn't anticipate that Gohan has the power to blow up the star itself. Which on the face of it seems much more reasonable.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Conceptually, I enjoy the Garlic Jr saga for having a threat that CANNOT be solved by Goku showing up and giving everyone else a chance to shine and look competant. I feel like it gave Gohan a little bit of depth that foreshadowed his involvement in the Cell sagas.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Szmitten posted:

Conceptually, I enjoy the Garlic Jr saga for having a threat that CANNOT be solved by Goku showing up and giving everyone else a chance to shine and look competant. I feel like it gave Gohan a little bit of depth that foreshadowed his involvement in the Cell sagas.

Yeah but all that bullshit Piccolo did in the beginning was worthless when he ups and starts kicking Garlic's rear end all over the lookout. They should've had Krillin be the poo poo-wrecker.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Garlic Jr is good because he has a funny voice and talks a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mostly liked the Garlic Jr saga but thought the parts with Kami and Popo were a bit naff.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bowmore posted:

Deadzone training is brutal I imagine, helps that he is immortal for recovery time too I guess

Also I'd be happy to cut out the cell games entirely except perfect cell vs goku

I'm sorry, eleven-year-old me would like the record to show that super saiyan 2 Gohan is Rad As Hell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

carry on then posted:

I'm sorry, eleven-year-old me would like the record to show that super saiyan 2 Gohan is Rad As Hell.

Hell yeah. He hits Cell so hard he pukes up an android!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Literally The Worst posted:

Hell yeah. He hits Cell so hard he pukes up an android!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

VanSandman posted:

what else are you gonna do in the deadzone besides deadlift

Somebody boo this man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the Garlic Jr. saga a lot for putting focus on not Goku the entire time. It was like extended set up for Gohan's eventual role as the main character.

That didn't happen, of course:

Mister Roboto posted:

In another universe, Shonen Jump gave Toriyama a year off to recharge instead of making him keep going, and he was able to come up with a far better Buu saga.

Wish we lived in that universe.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Quiet you, that was fantastic.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

carry on then posted:

Every time Gohan goes SSJ2 and whacks something they explode into dust, like I could understand the cell jrs but then Bojack's goons die the same way.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
To be honest I always found Super Saiyan 2 to be kind of underwhelming. It's hard to tell the difference between the two, and it's basically "wow Gohan is suddenly a lot stronger than he was before!".

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

To be honest I always found Super Saiyan 2 to be kind of underwhelming. It's hard to tell the difference between the two, and it's basically "wow Gohan is suddenly a lot stronger than he was before!".

And this is why SS3 was invented haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Little thing from TFS I found interesting. It really shows how much work they put in the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh0WNFQ-nuc

They even correct some animation errors.

• Locked thread