Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapner
May 7, 2013

Tomanton has turned PMs off and I have added him on AIM, but he hasn't popped on yet either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Is it possible to ask xpert11 to transfer the league administration if something like this happens?

Also it's weird because:

tomanton posted:

I bought VIP to get the better* season creation menu.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
The admin was logged onto X11 yesterday, so it isn't like he hasn't had the opportunity to do something.

Screw him, I've got my titles and there are plenty of other leagues out there.

Jive Turkey
Oct 28, 2005
Mean Mamma Jamma
We're back up! First fixture is on Monday.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

So, one more season of the pyramid structure?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Is anyone doing a LP this season? I might if it isn't being done already.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Thx youth coach :thumbsup:

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
When you're ready, you're ready!

Uzh
Sep 27, 2003
Monkey lover
Out of pure curiosity, how much do you spend on the academy?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Nothing. It's cheaper to just buy an 18/5 than wait months for one whole losing 300k a week.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

shoplifter posted:

Nothing. It's cheaper to just buy an 18/5 than wait months for one whole losing 300k a week.

I typically sell my youth that I don't use (300k academy) and it more than makes up for the investment.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Optimal academy is 50-100k. 0 is terrible, 300k is for degenerate gamblers(but it can pay off).

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
When I was putting 300k into my academy I typically got one guy a month (i.e., the bare minimum), and if he was an 18/4 I didn't need was lucky to sell him for 100k. I've had 18/4 guys not sell on the transfer market even at the minimum price. Paying 1.2m a month is a pretty pricy gamble unless you're lucking out and getting 17/4 or 18/5 guys all the time. Maybe the RNG just screwed me regularly.

That's held true in both my goon league teams and my official league teams. I went ahead and pay the 300k in my official league team because I took over a club with a ridiculous amount of money and I don't have to think about it.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

X11 app is out for android.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xperteleven

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jesus christ olympique what was your win bonus?

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Somehow I beat the league champions away, and briefly there was hope that I might have avoided relegation... but no. It livened up the end of an otherwise fairly dull season though.

What are the plans regarding next season's league structure? I'm in two minds about resigning, the excitement has kind of dwindled a bit for me. I had hoped to be able to hand on a team in better shape than they currently are though.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

The current admin hasn't posted in this thread since the league started, but he did post yesterday in another so there is hope.

I'm going to go ahead and petition the admins to take over if no one has any complaints.

Edit: I sent him a mail in-game. Hopefully that pops up in his mailbox and he'll come look.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 24, 2015

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thank you Rapner, despite my inactivity on these forums I've been keeping on top of Serie Goon housekeeping so I saw your message immediately:

quote:

Hi there,

Any chance you could pass the admin of Serie Goon to someone else? You haven't been active in the thread and there is some concern that it's going to die off.

Thanks!
The short answer is yes I could pass it off, the long answer is that unless my read of the situation is horribly wrong it's dying off anyways.

When I took over a couple seasons ago because nobody else wanted to, I asked about boosting weak teams to attract new members, but the managers who spoke up were overwhelmingly against it, so that was a no-go. Another longstanding complaint was that constant reshuffles of the league as managers resigned had the highly demoralizing effect of loving people out of promotions without warning; I was determined to solve that, but without a leg to stand on for recruitment I waited a bit to start the league in hopes our current players would bring in their friends. This turned out to be a waste of time as in 3 weeks our ~40 active managers recruited one (1) team. "Run it for 20 seasons and then make a new one" was how the last league went, that's been the sentiment for this one which is why it suffers from the same attrition problems.

Like I warned at the start of the season, the league structure is changing to either 1:2:2:2 or 1:1:1:1:1:1:1 based on what people want/what the system will let me do. We're going to have a week of friendlies during which people can invite new managers and send me in-game messages if they're interested in being league assistants/admins. After the friendly is played on the 30th I'll start the new season and then see about handing things over.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
I think new players joining is the best way to keep everything going. I'm personally okay with giving boosts to keep those teams competitive because a well grown team will beat a boosted team any day.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

If you're unwilling to put the effort in due to concerns that it is dying, I'm willing to have a go at revitalizing it. I realize it might be a dying cause, but I like the game and have several ideas on things we can do to breathe new life into the game and thread.

I'm 99% shitfaced right now after a night on the piss but can talk more in detail tomorrow.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
You guys could be a Serie Goon power couple, guiding us to a future or freedom and prosperity.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Subliminal Ninja posted:

guiding us to a future or freedom and prosperity.

This sounds exactly like the Renko way.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

I think its vital we go to a narrower structure before investing much time in recruitment, as there were too many good teams in the bottom rung which unbalanced things too much. My division has team strengths from 6 to 11. Any new players aren't going to enjoy getting smashed most weeks and not seeing any way to compete with teams that have 10 years of building behind them.
It would be best to get a group of new players with similar balanced teams in a division or two together. Decide on a structure that supports new players, put together some writing that highlights the fun parts of this game, stress the mobile apps and we can look at a recruitment drive...

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.
RESTART THE LEAGUE

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I'd be ok with either continuing or restarting - I'm sure some of the older players won't appreciate that though.

As things stand right now we have too many dormant teams and the mobility between leagues is pretty poor, so a lot of people are playing against unmanned teams. If we started again I hope we'd go with the bottle or eiffel tower plans mentioned on the previous page (or the one before), so we can have a couple of serious leagues at the top without too long of a lead up from the bottom.

#1 thing is more league admins. I think we'd need a 2-3, probably a minimum of 3 even. Life gets in the way of people all the time and having the ability to continue the league depend on one person makes that precarious.

On the publicity front, a LP would help I think. I'm happy to do one - I spent a lot of time dissecting this game when I started playing and I think if we provide the resources for people to figure it out they will be more engaged and we will gain more players.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

As for me, I wouldn't mind restarting, as my team has reached it's peak a long time ago and has been declining pretty steadily. And I don't really feel like renovating it. But that just me, people who started in lower divisions, their teams are now on top and they probably would be disappointed if we restarted.

As for league structure, I think it it would be fun to do the linear one, if not just to try it out. With the lower number of teams, it wouldn't take that much longer to reach the top flight.

As for new players, I think starting over is a lot better to get new players to stick with the game than integrating them to the existing league.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I'll start something up so we can get indicative numbers.

Edit: http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=364187 Go sign up, we can rename everything later.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 27, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do we have to restart? I just pulled this guy:

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Wow, Blyton's Babes has a whopping two (2) players worth keeping O_o

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Wow, Blyton's Babes has a whopping two (2) players worth keeping O_o

For real though; the only player on the new Portland Mondays with a proportionate skill level is the 18yo mercurial defender :sigh:

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
If you're thinking of restarting you should probably send messages to all the managers in game as well in case they don't check the thread.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Subliminal Ninja posted:

If you're thinking of restarting you should probably send messages to all the managers in game as well in case they don't check the thread.

Good idea. I'll have to go through them one by one though, so I'll do that after work.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spent 2 years getting the team to Serie Goon from Serious Business, not really interested in starting over from a peak team.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yeah it's getting narrower for sure, most likely a 1:2:2:2 and so on, and later maybe a 1:1:1:1 if it turns out the former doesn't do the trick with making it better. The heap of inactive teams will be no more as of next season, I put up with them as an attempt to honour promotions/relegations but this season the honouring is going to a restructuring.

It's also not that I'm unwilling to put in effort because the league is dying, it's that the idea of the league ("Run it for 20 seasons then close it") had a finite lifespan to begin with, just like its predecessor. I have a ton of different ideas about how things ought to go, and probably will do them in a new and sustainable league after season 20, but until then I'm going to look after this one in line with the promises made when it was founded.

Serie Goon will not be restarting. I can't stop people from joining a new league (and am happy to contribute to it myself please make my dreams of western-style soccer real) but this will always get the level of housekeeping it needs from me to run smoothly.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sounds good. Cutting the chaff is great, as well as moving to a more vertical structure. The only other thing I'd like to see is more backup admins, so it can keep running if you go dormant or can't otherwise be reached.

Keeping this one going is the best thing IMO, though if we wanted to do something different like a turbo league separately that would be fun.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

I'd like to put my name forward to be an assistant, I'm FRHierro in-game and manage CSKA Christmas. I'm UK based so I might be on a different timezone to a lot of you.
I've just returned from nearly a month abroad so no plans to disappear off again anytime soon, and been a X11 member for almost two years. You can see I have a fairly old reg date here too.

I'm not entirely sure what is needed from an admin, but I would certainly like to help keep things going. If we are starting a new season from Thursday are we just chopping the teams down, or do we need to do some recruitment now?

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

ChrisXP posted:

I'd like to put my name forward to be an assistant, I'm FRHierro in-game and manage CSKA Christmas. I'm UK based so I might be on a different timezone to a lot of you.
I've just returned from nearly a month abroad so no plans to disappear off again anytime soon, and been a X11 member for almost two years. You can see I have a fairly old reg date here too.

I'm not entirely sure what is needed from an admin, but I would certainly like to help keep things going. If we are starting a new season from Thursday are we just chopping the teams down, or do we need to do some recruitment now?

I'd say chop teams down, new thread to recruit new players, offer boosts to new teams to make it a bit easier (they'll still end up in a lower division and it instantly create super-teams). This should hopefully allow us to fill a structure with 8:8:8:8 with active teams or any other suitable one.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Subliminal Ninja posted:

I'd say chop teams down, new thread to recruit new players, offer boosts to new teams to make it a bit easier (they'll still end up in a lower division and it instantly create super-teams). This should hopefully allow us to fill a structure with 8:8:8:8 with active teams or any other suitable one.

I agree here. Switching to a linear league would be good too. If there are concerns it's going to be too slow, increase the relegation/promotion threshold. That gets it moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
If we are recruiting as well I think it shouldn't be pitched to refresh after season 20 as that would only give them 6 seasons to build a team which isn't nearly enough to create a champion.

• Locked thread