Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Killed by wolves on the first map: Baldur's Gate Ironman 2015 part II!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You must collect your dead bodies before venturing forth: BG Ironman 2015.

edit: Talindra the elven swashbuckler is currently at the bottom of Durlag's Tower about to take the Hell Knight on. I'll have an update in the new thread.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 15, 2015

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Seeing as you guys are summarizing your runs, I only posted about my Jester but I've been goofing around with other characters after that (even though I should be doing other things instead :negative:).

Those that should be remembered:

1. Stanczyk the LN human Jester. Tag teamed by a Ghast and two Hobgoblins.

2. Goose the CN half orc Berserker. Died at the hands of the Thayan Wizard on Neera's recruiting encounter... After falling to her friendly fire Color Spray.

Number two is a concept I'll be trying again, not the character but party composition.

What I intent to do is recruit only conflicting characters and play it out until a fight erupts, then I will keep the victors and add another NPC or pair, and so on.

Now I just need a thematically appropriate main character. I will post about it in the next thread.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 15, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dammit, Ghost of Ulcaster! I went and got your book and when I come back up you disappeared. Why'd they make him the sort of NPC that can wander around, anyhow. So many nooks and crannies in the ruined school, I can't find him anywhere.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Heya, it's me, Ironman!: Baldur's Gate Ironman 2015 Enhanced Edition

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Wildsurge, Thread Change! [BG Ironman 2015]

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pvt.Scott posted:

Great!

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

Wildsurge, Thread Change! [BG Ironman 2015]

Oops... Is that a wolf?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, I like this one.

Also: It's weird not running with either Coran or Kivan. Or both. Ever since I dual classed my MC to mage and Shar Teel to thief, I have hardly any ranged power outside actual spells. Sure boss battles go down fast but just regular kobolds or war dogs or what have you take ages for Kagain to wear down. I've actually been using fireball wands to just end groups before they move in. Can't wait for Shar-Teel to finish being a thief so I can have her back as a main archer... and so she can rip people to shreds by backstabbing with Varscona.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Dumby McWolfsdottir, solo half orc Shapeshifter druid, dead to loving Neela's ambush.

Stabs McBadidea, solo half orc fighter/thief, currently level 6/6 and just cleared the Nashkel mines.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
A quick summary, I had an Assassin named Zara that died to Hairtooth, one of those ogrillon type guys on the bridge to the gnoll fortress

Then I rolled a dwarven berserker named Drouin who has cleaned out the Nashkel mines and is working on clearing out the wilderness areas before heading to the bandit camp

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
Quick update: Ji'Shomara the Shadowdancer got killed by a ghoul south of Beregost. I have another character in the works, but I want to get to Chapter 2 before I post about him.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've been soloing a stalker, and it's been going really well, but I don't want to put together a proper post until I've finished Cloakwood and the mines. Also, I'd rather wait for the new thread.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
My summary: Mr. Kipling, a solo Elf Assassin has cleared the Bandit Camp and is about to enter the Cloakwood.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Having a blast with Archie. As his mage levels grow I feel less and less in need of his fighter levels. Of course, Edwin pretty much trumps him at every turn.

After abusing the flesh golems I went straight for the nashkel mines. Shar-Teel cannot stop critting when backstabbing, resulting in some crazy numbers.

Keep in mind that this was with a dagger. I can't wait to see what happens when she has Varscona again.

Nothing special happened with the Amazons outside the exit.The dagger of venom is incredible for shutting down mages. Buying it bankrupted me, but it was worth every penny.

Oh look, another crit backstab.

That one dork who boasts about being the greatest swordsman ever couldn't beat Kagain singlehanded. The rest of the party watched with AI shut off.

The bandit camp went by fast. Having just gained level 5 I had Archie join in with Edwin on a fireball opener, but there was some collateral damage over on the left there. That hit the reputation pretty hard, but it was getting a little too high for the badguys so it worked out in the end. Still had to pay at the temple to get it above 9 again though, gotta have them good-guy Bhallspawn abilities.

I love this guy. You can Pickpocket Aldeth on three different occasions for the same three items, and I intend to hit him up each time. 1/3 Shapeshifter Slaying swords pilfered.

The Cloakwood mines went by pretty swell too. Except for the mage on level 3. She resisted the poison effect of the knife and got off a lightning bolt which bounced across poor Edwin about five times. RIP him. I guess that's one advantage Archie has over him. Davaeorn went down eventually, but Edwin would have to wait to be revived before wearing the hard-earned Evil Archmagi Robes.

Oh, and somewhere along the way Shar-Teel got level 7 in thieves. Just one more to go before becoming a hard-hitting assassin!

Archie the Arcane Archer, human fighter/mage, cleared the cloakwood mines and is barreling down baldur's gate.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
This is the story of Robina Hood, the eleven Archer.

Adventuring with Imoen, Khalid and Jaheria. Things were progressing nicely, a certain chicken spell went well:

Undead hunting was good fun:

The bandit camp fell quite easily:

Marek's poison was cured:

And although there were a few close calls...

Including a particularly tight moment under Candlekeep:

I finally reached the gates of the final room, ready to rip Sarevok in two. Unfortunately, some misclicks when dodging the Flaming Fist enforcers led to some difficulties with reputation...

But still, all ready to-

Oh :(

So, there it is. Got to the last boss on the iPad EE edition, and got slaughtered by Sarevok. I am terrible at the last boss. Sigh!

Think I'll just continue into BG2, try to rise up and become a proper ranger again with the stronghold, which is something I've never done before. Very fun though! And hey, one death in the whole game is pretty good. Congrats to everyone who made it through the whole game.

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 16, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
timg please?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Skwirl posted:

timg please?

Sorry, was coming up ok on my browser. Hopefully fixed now. Won the battle easily second time through, of course.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Alas, even the HULK could not triumph always.

In lieu of a screenshot of the fateful final battle against Sendai and company, some appropriate parting dialogue and music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvs-6y9FImU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Stumiester posted:

Sorry, was coming up ok on my browser. Hopefully fixed now. Won the battle easily second time through, of course.

How did you handle the screenshots on iPad? Mine keep coming out grainy once I upload them to imgur, though I am futzing with the size

I dualed imoen to a Mage and then did some ankheg farming with just her and my main character to get her back up to almost regaining her thief skills. I'm not sure it was a great use of my time but oh well

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
So I went to fight Aec'letec (the demon in the dagger) and killed all the cultists in the room before focusing on him so he wouldn't reincarnate. I brought him down to near death status fairly quickly, but he stayed there for at least 2 minutes while I kited him with a decoy who chain quaffed potions to stay alive. I checked the battle log and I was doing considerable damage to him. Kivan alone was doing 30ish damage per round so I don't know what was going on. I know he spams vampiric touch but it couldn't have been healing him for that much. I think this is the first time this happened to me. Has it happened to anyone else? Google doesn't turn up anything. I don't know what to do. I'm using Tutu.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is the new Ironman thread up yet? My searches haven't turned up anything, though that could be my lack of familiarity with the new SA search client, and people are still posting a bit, but I thought that I'd ask.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
New OP is mostly finished and updated up to HULK's demise above. I just need to do some minor editing and it will be up late tomorrow afternoon/evening in the Western timezones.

Feel free to either post imminent updates in this thread or wait for the new OP. The character links in the new OP will link to that character's deathpost or most recent progress report, whether it be in this thread or the new one.

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 16, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Blinston Blighter the Blurd finally makes it to the Gnoll Fortress. There he is quickly accosted by a couple of greedy Ogres. No issues when he can SMI

Yeah, for the second time Imoen somehow catches a Smiting to the face and dies. I do beat the ogres, but it's back to Nashkel again since I'm not doing without my thief and I'm not marching all the way north to get another. Sigh.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
The Iron Skald got to Cloakwood , I forgot just how early into the second area of it the first web trap was.

Died to spiders.

Apparently forgot to screenshot death even though I thought I did.

Going to start the next run once the new thread goes up.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Enigma the cowardly human Berserker is ready for the iron challenge!

Full Disclosure: I have never beaten Baldur's gate 1 or 2, although I've played both for a few hours. A few years ago, I tried the iron challenge but gave up after my character's whole party was hit by fear and wiped out close the beginning of BG 1. For this run, I've installed BG Tutu, BG 1 Unfinished Business, and I've disabled respawning monsters (respawn timer set to 1000 days).

Starting character: Str: 18/60, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 4. It only took me 3 hours to roll this manually! I'm hoping to eventually dual class to a mage at level 9. Yup, I'm trying to power game this as much as possible before I eventually make a fatal, unanticipated error. I took 3 weapon pips in flails and 1 in longbow. Berserkers can't go above 1 pip in longbow but I'm going to be fighting as cowardly as possible. In all my team fights, I keep Enigma way in the back of the fighting, plinking away with the bow and away from any potential danger. I've given all my best defensive items and potions to Enigma, like the girdle of piercing and the ring of protection +1. I've recruited Imoen, Kagain, Kivan, Edwin, and Viconia. I've only cleared Gnoll Fortress, and I did it only because I was worried Edwin would leave the party.

So far, I've had one close encounter with death. I've never fought vampiric wolves before, and I was very close to losing the run there. I had a battle with 2 vampiric wolves and 3 other wolves in the Beregost temple area. I didn't realize that vampiric wolves would hold on hit, and they killed Imoen, Viconia, and Kivan before I realized what was happening. I was recently broke from purchasing a +1 composite bow for Kivan, so I had to sell some useful potions to even revive my 3 party members. I reluctantly decided that to kill vampiric wolves, I would have to tank them with Enigma while using enrage to protect me from hold. Then I drank a potion of haste and used a +1 bastard sword to attack the vampiric wolves, while Edwin used a wand of lightning on them from the back. The rest of the party focused on the normal wolves. After this, I was able to get my equipment back for 3 party members.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'll save the update for the new thread, but I'll just say that I forgot how much I hate the early game in BG2. It's just tough because in BG1 I can make a plan of how I'm going to get xp, money, and some good items, but I'm not nearly familiar enough with BG2 to do that. At least I haven't died yet, though Dorn certainly has. That boy sure loves dying repeatedly.

Edit:

enigma74 posted:

Berserkers can't go above 1 pip in longbow but I'm going to be fighting as cowardly as possible. In all my team fights, I keep Enigma way in the back of the fighting, plinking away with the bow and away from any potential danger. I've given all my best defensive items and potions to Enigma, like the girdle of piercing and the ring of protection +1.

Having just taken a Kensai through BG1, I can say reach weapons like spears and two-handed swords are a good way to keep a fighter out of danger most of the time but still contribute in melee. The trick is to make sure someone else is in the front so they draw the enemy's attention first, and only then send in your character. Doing this, my spear-wielding Kensai rarely ever took significant damage. That was Dorn's job of course. That boy sure loves dying repeatedly.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 16, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mountaineer posted:

That was Dorn's job of course. That boy sure loves dying repeatedly.

To quote Michael Dorn, "today is a good day to die!"

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

enigma74 posted:

Enigma the cowardly human Berserker is ready for the iron challenge!

So far, I've had one close encounter with death. I've never fought vampiric wolves before, and I was very close to losing the run there.

Best of luck! Yeah, those Vampiric wolves are killers. Why did they put them in the early areas like that? Watch out, there's another pair you can find early on, two map sections below Beregost. Don't stray from the road in that area too much.

docbeard posted:

Alas, even the HULK could not triumph always.

In lieu of a screenshot of the fateful final battle against Sendai and company, some appropriate parting dialogue and music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvs-6y9FImU

Farewell~

I was sure that HULK could make it.

I'm not going to post any progress updates quite yet, but Shar-Teel just unlocked her fighter levels and ITS FANTASTIC. I'm gonna have to go to Ulgoth's Beard early just for that invis ring. Chain backstab everything. Plus it's just nice to have her regular THAC0 back and a good composite bow in her hands.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar the third, Elven Mage/Thief

Dead to the wolf 100 feet south east of Gorian's body.

Think I'll try a Human swashbuckler and never live long enough to duel class.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes Forth

Doing Candlekeep, and leaving and joining the gruesome twosome on the road, we go kill every wolf on the map. WTF, those are *Dread* wolves!!? No wonder Comstar the third didn't survive.

I then find out that if you don't have a cleric in the party, it takes 3 DAYS to heal one hit on a level 1 character. It took 5 days to heal after 2 battles!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 16, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Farewell~

I was sure that HULK could make it.

It was mostly a combination of bad luck and some bad choices. I'm almost certainly going to try HULK or something similar again, he was a lot of fun early on.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I we're doing summaries,

Dio the assassin beat Sarevok and got killed by mephits in Irenicus dungeon because I got stuck trying to attack the portals with a dagger. RIP (I didn't technically die but I rage-reloaded so yeah)

e: "victory" post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692451&userid=135590#post440003374

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Suspicious posted:

So I went to fight Aec'letec (the demon in the dagger) and killed all the cultists in the room before focusing on him so he wouldn't reincarnate. I brought him down to near death status fairly quickly, but he stayed there for at least 2 minutes while I kited him with a decoy who chain quaffed potions to stay alive. I checked the battle log and I was doing considerable damage to him. Kivan alone was doing 30ish damage per round so I don't know what was going on. I know he spams vampiric touch but it couldn't have been healing him for that much. I think this is the first time this happened to me. Has it happened to anyone else? Google doesn't turn up anything. I don't know what to do. I'm using Tutu.

That happened to me once years ago. I solved it, but I can't remember how. As it was explained to me, it's the same sort of problem that trolls in BG2 have, where their "I keep getting hit" animation interferes with their "I've taken enough damage that I should collapse now" scripting.

In any event, I'd count it as a kill and move on.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I forgot that monsters will enter buildings and poo poo to chase after you and got myself trapped in the ghast tomb with 4 green slimes :stare:

fortunately they're slow and could only move towards me one at a time so I took out several with magic missles and put shar-teel in harms way to finish off the other two that were near death. Thankfully no one got slimed but that could have easily turned out worse

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Herein begins the adventure of Cynora the human sorcerer. Yes I know, I'm picking a really hard class to play. Shut up.

Hey, a roll of 82. Good enough. It's not like sorcerers need stats in Baldur's Gate.

Aah early BG1 bullshit, how I have not missed you. Poor Monty died just trying to get away from the mass of trash body blocking him. Not pictured: a big group of xvarts.

Now here's something that has never happened to me before, ever. I'm not talking about loving up and letting Tarnesh cast horror, that happens to me about half the time. My level 1 PC actually saved against it. Wow.

Alright so the early game was uneventful. Just assembling my party and doing easy quests to gear up and build up exp/reputation, never straying very far from the Friendly Arm Inn/Beregost/Nashkel corridor. Nothing that hasn't been screenshot a bunch of times in this thread already. When everyone got to level 3 it was time to go ankheg farming and grab my first wand of fire. This was roughly enough to get everyone to level 4 so it was then time to clear the Nashkel mines, making a quick stop on the way at the carnival to buy the necklace of missile. The one-two punch combo of the fire wand and necklace of missile should be good for tackling future assassination attempts as they all involve multiple enemies instead of just one guy.

While traveling from the carnival to the mine, I ran into my first close call.

Waylaid by skeletons with 1 archer. The archer of course targets my PC, and of course deals a max damage critical hit on her. Fortunately, at level 4 with 20 hp she survived. But what about subsequent shots? She had no armor or bracers. With an AC of 6, she'd never make it to the edge of the screen before dying. I did the only thing I could: drink Jaheira's potion of invisibility.

The mines were really easy. Level 4 is way overkill. As soon as Mulahey dropped, I slapped his boots of grounding on Cynora and they never left her feet for the rest of the game. Lightning (wizard cast or naturally occurring) is a killer in this game. Outside the mines was the first group assassination attempt.

They all died to one volley. I like to approach this encounter from the left because the two deadliest amazons are on the right.

On the way north to the bandit camp I cleared the left side of the world map and had my second close call. The ogre mage with the sirine slave managed to get a lightning spell off before dying and he of course targeted it straight at my PC even though she was the furthest away and not even attacking him. Failed the saving throw but still survived thanks to the boots of grounding.

So, bandit camp. Pretty easy except for Taugosz (blind/web/hold/paralyze him) and the big tent fight. You can't just lob fireballs in the latter because there's a neutral guy in there and you'll lose a bunch of reputation. So I just lobbed a web instead (which won't turn neutrals hostile) and had Jaheira drink a potion of freedom and go in. Might as well use potions of freedom since they don't sell for poo poo.

First two guys were webbed and died almost instantly. Mage got webbed but freed himself the next round, just in time to be chopped down by Jaheira with her shiny new scimitar +2. Archer guy was never webbed but when he's alone he goes down fast. I made a quick stop beforehand at Durlag's to get Jaheira that scimitar. If you're wondering how I got past the battle horrors outside, let's just say it involved wands, magic missiles and a lot of kiting.

I finished most of the world map then moved on to cloakwood. The first potentially problematic area is the spider zone. I didn't feel like kiting or taking chances, so Jaheira gulped a second potion of freedom, used a scroll of protection from poison and tanked everything. Spiders and ettercaps don't hurt for poo poo when you're immune to poison.

The spider lair can also be a problem given how fast the critters in there can swarm your party, so I made Jaheira fire immune (helm of glory + ring of fire resistance + potion of fire resistance) and sent her ahead to draw aggro, then nuked the whole batch.

Rest of cloakwood went well. I didn't bother with wyverns. I took no chances with Daveorn and made him waste his fireball and lightning spells on summoned skeletons. Then I headed to the city.

The city is about the point where I usually start getting bored or annoyed with BG1 and wanting to move on so I skipped a lot of minor stuff. My criteria for bothering with a quest or not were:

1. it provides a gear upgrade.
2. it gives a lot of experience.
3. it gives a lot of money (an indirect #1)

There's a minor quest I never skip. It's the fedex "gives this amulet to my son at the inn and come back" one because the reward is a second necklace of missile. My one-two punch was now three hit combo. I had to put it to the test.

The five ogre mages. I sent a fire immune Jaheira ahead to draw aggro and moved in with the rest of the party who immediately let loose 3 fireballs. Nothing survived. The head ogre didn't even have time to talk.

I rearranged the party formation for the iron throne fight and made Jaheira fire immune as usual and also Kivan because I knew he'd be in range of all the fireballs I'd be spamming. Things went super well, all the baddies died and no one took any damage, except Khalid who was somehow in range for a couple of blasts. I think it's because potions of explosions have a smaller range than other means of casting fireball (and thus require you to be a little closer), but I'm not sure.

I wasted no time in Candlekeep and got the party arrested ASAP. I looted the first catacombs level for the good stuff but otherwise I was headed straight for the exit. Bumped into an encounter on the way out.

Invisible, fire immune and lightning immune (just in case) Jaheira initiated hostilities by throwing a potion of explosions right at her feet, followed immediately by fireballs from Imoen and Cynora. Two enemies immediately died. A second volley cleaned up the last two.

Back in the city, I saved just one of the dukes since the mage always goes in with her dagger and gets herself chunked, cleared the party's reputation and sent Sarevok packing. It was time for expansion content.

Ice island was super boring. I don't think anyone lost a single hit point. Only the first fight is more than a speed bump, and that's mostly because of how awkward it is to get into the 3 mages' room and actually start fighting back. You can trivialize this encounter by sending most of your dudes in while invisible. Then you initiate combat on your own terms by targeting all 3 mages with arrows of dispel and oh look they all die in 2 rounds.

Werewolf island was easier than I remembered. I just tanked everything with Jaheira and a potion of freedom for vampiric wolves. Against the greater wolfwere, a potion of regeneration was almost enough to make him deal effectively no damage to her. Back on the mainland Kivan and Khalid chunked both loups garou and put an end to their nonsensical plot. Only thing left now is Durlag's.

Durlag's first floor is tedious, but easy, however the fight at the end can be tough. I don't have a very cerebral way of handling it. I just buff up, have someone tank and take them out one at a time. Slow helps a lot in this fight.

On the second floor I beelined to the exit. Only had to fight 2 Durlag doppelgangers and some ghasts. No doomguards. On the third floor I took the greater wyvern path, which is the easiest and also gets you the 3rd full plate armor in the game. Next was the chessboard.

I used the same strategy as anyone: mass fireballs. Everyone had previously drunk a potion of absorption in case something went wrong and traps were triggered, and remove fear was cast before killing the last elemental guardian because horror is the first thing the queen casts.

The fourth and last floor went the same, straight for the end with no looting except the chest with the sling +3 and large shield +2. It was then time for the demonknight.

The first rule of the demonknight fight is you do not use the mirror. The second rule of the demonknight fight is you do NOT use the mirror. Just buff up, haste, move your party members around the room so they can all fire at him with +2 arrows/bullets, and send in a tank to initiate. He will immediately open with remove magic which should only hit your tank and follow up with a fireball which shouldn't hurt your tank much (equip at least one ring of fire resistance). His third move is power word: stun again on your tank. I don't know what his fourth move is because in all the fights I've had with him that I can remember, he never survived that long. It's that easy.

Back to Ulgoth's Beard for Aec'letec, the real final boss of the game. He's a doozy. He spams silence, paralyze and of course death gaze. Silence makes your casters useless and paralyze might as well be an instant death given how fast he'll go to work on anyone unfortunate enough to fail their save. You might be thinking about using scrolls of protection from magic, but there are two problems. First, you can't use buffs with protection from magic, and trust me you need buffs. Second, it doesn't stop death gaze. There is however a solution: his silence, paralyze and death gaze all allow for a save, so if your saves are really low, you might be good. There's something better than low saves, however.

Automatic saves. There are 6 of these babies in the game so save them all for this very moment.

I buffed up and went down. It's important to kill all the cultists first because otherwise the demon will reincarnate at full health at one of them.

I went to work on him after all the cultists are down. Being immune to silence, paralyze and death gaze doesn't make this fight easy. He still hits like a truck and spams his gaze attacks. You will take a lot of damage, but with proper kiting and aggro management and lots of potions, he should die before anyone in your party does. Full disclosure: I had to reload to get this screenshot because in my first attempt he bugged out and stayed at near death forever. Reloading made him die just fine. Sarevok time.

I pulled Sarevok with Jaheira to buy myself a round or two of just him. Kivan dispelled his haste with an arrow of dispel, and Cynora followed up with a cast of slow. It worked on the first try, making Sarevok a non factor for the rest of the fight. Semaj showed up next and was immediately hit by an arrow of dispel before shortly dying to mass arrows/bullets just as Angelo showed up and fired an arrow of detonation point blank on a fire immune Jaheira. Angelo then got the same treatment and also fell quickly.

Tazok showed up last and was almost immediately chunked. All alone and slowed, Sarevok keels over in a couple of rounds of focused fire.

Honors earned: ironling, purist, librarian, trap dodger, honorable trader, battlemaster,

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, that Aec'Letec fight makes me ashamed of all the times I just cast cloudkill. Congrats on the masterful victory, Suspicious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Haven't really had a chance to dig in yet because of work etc but I'm going to. Going to play on insane because I clearly have mental problems. Probably leaning Sorcerer at the moment. Classes in the back of the party are generally your best bet for an ironman. Stoneskin and then eventually mislead, etc should make for a very durable character.

I'm sure melees can work out too but it's just asking for trouble. The sorc can certainly die very fast too especially on insane but once I get stoneskin I should be okay so long as I don't total party wipe.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Haven't really had a chance to dig in yet because of work etc but I'm going to. Going to play on insane because I clearly have mental problems. Probably leaning Sorcerer at the moment. Classes in the back of the party are generally your best bet for an ironman. Stoneskin and then eventually mislead, etc should make for a very durable character.

I'm sure melees can work out too but it's just asking for trouble. The sorc can certainly die very fast too especially on insane but once I get stoneskin I should be okay so long as I don't total party wipe.

Inquisitor works really well for ironman/insane. The save bonus coupled with the mage-disassmbling are really good at keeping you on your feet. The last time we did this, I got my inquisitor all the way into ToB before I just stopped playing, as the thread had died.

Hell, I still have that save file!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wizard Slayers are Terrible Part half-million: Akkurat the historically accurate Solo Purist Wizard Slayer stepped up.

Like so.

Then I did a whole bunch of poo poo, got to Baldur's Gate, and maxed out my level. And also demonstrated that two scrolls of protection stack with each other, another thing that makes this kit at all playable. After reaching max level, I already had every item I could even use that is in the game so there was no reason for me to do anything else. Bye bye Firewine, Durlag's tower, Ulgoth's Beard and most of the sidequests in BG proper (aside from ones that got me stat boosts). I also couldn't get the tomes beneath Candlekeep because I had no way to boost my strength high enough to unlock the tombs. I treated the rest of the game like a Megaman boss rush.

Skipped the second-to-last fight by taking this route. Surprising how few people know you can do that.

Then I did this.

Any questions? No? Good. gently caress this kit in the ear, goddamn.

Oh and Melicamp died this time, RIP Melicamp.

Honors:

Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1

Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).

Overcoming Adversity: Complete the game as a Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Beastmaster, or non-Blade Bard (requires Purist).

Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Battlemaster: Kill Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 without summoning any creatures or laying any traps.

A God Among Men: Complete the game alone. Do not remove or modify the level cap (requires purist).

• Locked thread