Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jack Gladney posted:

Any chance that "watchmen on the wall" phrase in particular is an attempt to get some Game of Thrones crossover fans?

Isaiah 62:6 posted:

I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

Its a reference to a Bible passage. The message to an Inner Narrative here is "You are a special person able to see what's coming, a tiny self selected minority, a watchman" and it also sends the message "Because you are a watchman your job is to make as much noise as possible to warn the slumbering city of the impending danger."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

^-- poo poo, makes sense it would be the KJB version they would follow.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Smudgie Buggler posted:

No, some people are freaking out because PJ is describing a different and more unhinged subset of the human race than the word "authoritarian" usually refers to. The taxonomical issue has mostly been dealt with at this point, and anybody still harping on about it can safely be ignored.

That wasn't directed at you. Anyway this has been a very engrossing thread to read.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Probably the best thread in D&D in quite awhile, thanks.

Prester John, I have a question / thought for you. Once upon a time I read an excellent book called Obedience to Authority. This got me thinking about an aspect of the studies discussed in the book - that people who appear to be authority figures are treated as authority figures. However, in our (U.S.) government, we assign people to positions of authority through voting.

It is my suspicion that this is a reason for high reelection rates among representatives - not necessarily that representatives actually represent their constituency. Many people seem to want to kick everyone out of government each year - excepting their own representative. That representative is doing a Good Job™, but everyone else (even ones that vote the same as theirs) needs to go and things should start fresh. After all, if a person were to vote against someone that they formerly voted for, it might reflect poorly on themselves.

Do you feel this might be a 'logic' of your Authoritarians or would they not be so introspective?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
So the difference between the Outer Narrative and the Inner Narrative between a "true believer" and someone posing to take advantage of authoritarian tendency is important, but very subtle. Almost too subtle, really. They are technically both lying, but the reasons and motivations for the lies are different. While that alone seems sufficient, I must admit it's too contextual to work on a theoretical level. ... at least, on its own.

The Compaction Cycle, however, is different. I'd imagine only an authoritarian working towards equally authoritarian aims would have any reason for initiating a compaction cycle. To any other political entity, concerned with holding power and keeping it for as long as possible, a compaction cycle runs completely against instinct.

Let's focus more on the compaction cycle for a moment. Do we have any other examples of it?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Morroque posted:

Let's focus more on the compaction cycle for a moment. Do we have any other examples of it?

Arguably the Tea Party seizing the reigns of the primary caucus. They purge out anyone not sufficiently pure and replace them with people of sufficient purity.In the W administration though, I can find more examples. I remember a general trend of purging there but my google-fu is kind of weak/turning up dead links since I am looking for decade old op-eds and backburner news reports.However, here is one example.

quote:

WASHINGTON - The White House has ordered the new CIA director, Porter Goss, to purge the agency of officers thought to have been disloyal to President Bush or of leaking damaging information to the media about the conduct of the war in Iraq and the hunt for Osama bin Laden, according to knowledgeable sources.

"The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," said a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties to the agency and to the White House. "Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda."

The 2004 CIA was a hotbed of Liberalism and all those wicked Liberals had to go. The very same CIA that lied us into the Iraq War found itself on the wrong side of a Compaction Cycle for perceived disloyalty.

Edit: I found another example, although this is sort of indirect. Rather than a dramatic purge that makes headlines, I would expect most of the Compaction Cycle to have happened steadily and slowly. I appear to have found Bill Kristol bragging about doing that very thing. Curiously this is from 2012 and has to do with GOP support of Israel. I think that though indirect, this is excellent evidence of what I am talking about *AND* as a bonus heavily explains the reception Netanyahu recently received during his speech. Whole article is worth reading.

Patrick Buchanan posted:

“Kristol was treated like royalty and came off as … a Republican Party warlord,” bragging “about how all the hostile elements to Israel inside the Republican Party were purged over the last 30 years — (and) no one (now) dared to question the power of the Israeli lobby.”

“The big story in the Republican Party over the last 30 years, and I’m very happy about this,” said Kristol, is the “eclipsing” of the George H.W. Bush-James Baker-Brent Scowcroft realists, “an Arabist old-fashioned Republican Party … very concerned about relations with Arab states that were not friendly with Israel … .”

That Bush crowd is yesterday, said Kristol. And not only had the “Arabists” like President Bush been shoved aside by the neocons, the “Pat Buchanan/Ron Paul type” of Republican has been purged.

“At B’nai Jeshurun,” writes Weiss, “Kristol admitted to playing a role in expelling members of the Republican Party he does not agree with.” These are Republicans you had to “repudiate,” said Kristol, people “of whom I disapprove so much that I won’t appear with them.”

“I’ve encouraged that they be expelled or not welcomed into the Republican Party. I’d be happy if Ron Paul left. I was very happy when Pat Buchanan was allowed — really encouraged … by George Bush … to go off and run as a third-party candidate.”

Kristol’s point: Refuse to toe the neo-con line on Israel, and you have no future in the Republican Party.

Ben Ami seemed equally exultant: “We’ve won the war; we won the war,” he told the audience. Ninety-nine percent of Congress now votes almost 100 percent pro-Israel.

But Ben Ami appeared nervous about how this unanimity in the Congress behind Israel had been achieved:

“I very seriously and absolutely do believe that a significant percentage of American members of the House of Representatives and the Senate are intimidated on this issue (of Israel). … They worry about the ramifications of speaking out. … They are worried about the attacks that they will receive.”

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 29, 2015

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Evil_Greven posted:

Probably the best thread in D&D in quite awhile, thanks.

Prester John, I have a question / thought for you. Once upon a time I read an excellent book called Obedience to Authority. This got me thinking about an aspect of the studies discussed in the book - that people who appear to be authority figures are treated as authority figures. However, in our (U.S.) government, we assign people to positions of authority through voting.

It is my suspicion that this is a reason for high reelection rates among representatives - not necessarily that representatives actually represent their constituency. Many people seem to want to kick everyone out of government each year - excepting their own representative. That representative is doing a Good Job™, but everyone else (even ones that vote the same as theirs) needs to go and things should start fresh. After all, if a person were to vote against someone that they formerly voted for, it might reflect poorly on themselves.

Do you feel this might be a 'logic' of your Authoritarians or would they not be so introspective?

You have a neat idea, but I'm not sure it really ties into what I am describing here. In general if you are asking "Is this too nuanced for Authoritarian's?" or "Does this require too much introspection for Authoritarian'? the answer is almost always "Yes." Authoritarians have no sense of Introspection or nuance. They do not need to rationalize why things are the way they are, they just follow the Narrative.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Prester John posted:

An example of Narrative Convergence. Rand Paul is suddenly going full bigot and spouting talking points from the hardcore religious right. In this video he literally declares that we have a "moral crises" and that we need a "new revival movement in this country" with "tents and everything". He also is declaring that Washington isn't really the answer to anything and should not be relied upon, perfectly in line with what one would expect from the Narrative of all these groups converging as a result of the terrified emotional outpouring of religious Authoritrains reacting to Gay Marriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_kt9PRNKE

In this video note the "Watchmenion the Wall" talking point on the slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1NqGvFZHjw

Ted Cruz uses the exact same phrase here "Watchmen on the Wall".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT1umDKWTkE

"Watchmen on the Wall" is going to get the attention of any of the groups I am describing because it speaks to their Inner Narrative. It is a term they can all relate too through the way their Inner Narrative teaches them to think of themselves. Whether this talking point has emerged organically or is the result of Heritage Foundation focus group studies does not really matter much, because either way its effect is the same in the minds of its intended audience.
This right here is why I've started taking Prester John's statements much more seriously than I might otherwise. In a vacuum, the recent events like the rash of local anti-gay laws, the "Sodomite Suppression Act" by some rear end in a top hat in California, Rand Paul going (more) crazy by making a reference to "Tent Revivals" would seem to come out of nowhere, but now it's starting to connect together and make a (somewhat terrifying) amount of sense.

Oh yeah, and if the Tent Revival thing doesn't make you go :stare:, then have some background:

quote:

Most tent revivals in the U.S. have been held by Pentecostal or Holiness Christians who not only adhered to evangelicalism but believed in speaking in tongues (glossolalia), healing the chronically ill, and in some cases resurrecting the dead. As radio and television began to play an increasingly important part in American culture, some preachers such as Oral Roberts, a very successful tent revivalist, made the transition to these media. Such pioneers were the early televangelists.
The tongue-speaking, snake-handing tent revival freaks became the early televangelists. Sounds about right, actually.:v:

The thing that really sticks out to me is the Authoritarians/fundies wanting a big knock-down, drag-out brawl. Gay marriage both pre and post DOMA has been slowly happening state by state rather than all at once, and this has meant that the fundies have been denied the big brawl they want. Instead it's been slowly simmering below the surface all the while, and everything is finally reaching the boiling point with the Supreme Court decision in June, since it's obvious to everyone what the result of the Gay Marriage decision is going to be.

What makes me just a little bit worried is that regardless of how she arrived at her conclusions, Prester John's predictions so far have been uncannily accurate w/r/t gay marriage. I'd normally just laugh at these people, but Phil Robertson (who basically fits in with this group) recently came out with this "story":

A psycho rear end in a top hat with a TV show posted:

“I’ll make a bet with you,” Robertson said. “Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now is it dude?’”

Robertson kept going: “Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, ‘Wouldn’t it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We’re sick in the head, have a nice day.’”

“If it happened to them,” Robertson continued, “they probably would say, ‘something about this just ain’t right.”
These guy are starting to uncomfortably remind me of ISIL more and more with their rhetoric, which takes all of this from "funny" to "oh hell, this ain't gonna be good".

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 29, 2015

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Here is a proposal for you guys, I'm interested in feedback on this interpretation. Considering the article above about Bill Kristol being so happy about driving all the "realists" out of the GOP.

There was a 30 year Compaction Cycle that drove a Narrative Convergence around support for Israel. Originally, this was just a calculated effort by the (lets call the cynical manipulators NeoCons again because fuckit why not?) NeoCon's to support their hegemonic agenda. They made support for Israel into a Bi-Partisan issue. However, now that the NeoCon's don't have a hand on the wheel anymore the Authoritarians are driving the Narrative of support for Israel and triggered a small RNCE that resulted in the letter to Iran business. (The letter incident had leadership temporarily in the hands of Tom Cotton, a hill to die on, and no real plan behind what the letter was meant to accomplish other than to show a willingness to fight.) Bibi's speech also shows the emotional hallmarks of an RNCE, multiple factions agreeing on a defiant action, a clear Good vs Evil narrative, and a temporary re-arrangement of leadership.

And all this despite AIPAC thinking it all was a reeeeeaaaal bad idea. And they were right, because now there is political cover for the Democratic Party to call Israel to task. But to the Authoritarians none of that matters, because this isn't about winning, its about fighting the AntiChrist (Obama currently, but any President with a D next to their name from here on out will do.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 29, 2015

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Morroque posted:

While I support the basic idea of this, I also wonder if it is somewhat unethical to do so as a matter of principle.

For example, I can say with some degree of certainty that I know of one likely authoritarian in my life whom I've known for several years. If she is not an authoritarian herself, she was raised in a highly authoritarian environment -- even went to one of those unaccredited post-secondary "Christian Colleges" that closes itself off to the rest of the world for each semester. I know of her as a very compassionate person, but she is prone to making the occasional homophobic remark amidst other things because of the environment. (There are effects, even in the kindest among them.)

Knowing her situation as I do, if she were to wake up tomorrow and, through some divine miracle, not be an authoritarian any longer, the effects would be disastrous. Not only would it likely strain relations on her family and immediate local community, it would also compromise her finances due to her employment currently being within that community as well. Even if she were to actively seek out the change on her own, it won't be without consequence. There are entrenchments involved. Suppose I were to show her new experiences in a safe environment; but what would happen if she took that information back to her home community?

It's not simply a Platonic Allegory of the Cave to show those in the shadows the true nature of light in this instance. Because of the social patterns involved, sometimes there are very material concerns involved with being authoritarian. It would be wrong to take that away if it could not be replaced with something of equal value and function.

All I can say is that getting out is hard. Often Authoritarians like your friend are really just good people that have been so traumatized that in certain circumstances they just obey. Its become a survival instinct. They learned to obey to survive. Now sometimes if the Authoritarian structure around them dissolves naturally getting out is a reasonably painless process, but other times you have to want it. In my experience you have to want it bad enough to override your own survival instinct, and that is a personal hell I can't ask anyone to go through.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Prester John posted:

There was a 30 year Compaction Cycle that drove a Narrative Convergence around support for Israel. Originally, this was just a calculated effort by the (lets call the cynical manipulators NeoCons again because fuckit why not?) NeoCon's to support their hegemonic agenda. They made support for Israel into a Bi-Partisan issue. However, now that the NeoCon's don't have a hand on the wheel anymore the Authoritarians are driving the Narrative of support for Israel and triggered a small RNCE that resulted in the letter to Iran business. (The letter incident had leadership temporarily in the hands of Tom Cotton, a hill to die on, and no real plan behind what the letter was meant to accomplish other than to show a willingness to fight.)

While I will not deny the compaction cycle, I don't think it was entirely an issue of pure authoritarian ideology. An example...

quote:

According to the website LobeLog, the senator who spearheaded the letter, freshman Arkansas Republican Senator Tom Cotton, received nearly $1 million in donations to his election campaign efforts last year from the Emergency Committee for Israel, run by neoconservative pundit Bill Kristol. The Intercept reports Cotton was set to appear at a secretive meeting of weapons contractors the day after sending the letter.

... Tom Cotton is himself a Harvard graduate and Harvard Law graduate, and he’s sort of gained conservative fame by calling in 2006 for James Risen and Eric Lichtblau of The New York Times to be jailed for writing a story about how the U.S. tracks terrorism finances. And this was a sort of a young guy who’d left law school and he’d joined the military and was at the time deployed in Iraq. Now, that open letter that he wrote at the time—he’s a fan of the format—got the attention of Bill Kristol, who began meeting with Cotton when he was deployed stateside at Arlington National Cemetery in 2007. And they would, you know, according to The Atlantic, frequently go out for drinks together. And then, you know, over the next few years, they developed this relationship, years before Cotton entered politics. Eventually, he was elected to the House in 2012, spent two years there before becoming a freshman senator and immediately making a splash by distinguishing himself as the most hawkish member of an incredibly hawkish body.

And this letter is basically par for the course for him. It’s exactly what he’s trying to do, is end these—you know, you can just listen to Tom Cotton himself. He’s trying to end these negotiations. And he doesn’t quite say that the next step is military action, but it seems patently obvious that if you want U.S. policy to be regime change and you want them to have no nuclear program at all, there aren’t a lot of ways to accomplish that unless you’re going to attack them militarily. And so, this is basically the pattern. And it’s no surprise then that The Daily Beast reported that this letter was produced in conjunction with advice from Bill Kristol. Bill Kristol is a guy who’s called for attacking Iran for years now; literally maybe eight years he’s been calling for it publicly. And so, Tom Cotton has really been shepherded along. He took in a million bucks for his campaign in ad buys from the Emergency Committee for Israel. These are exactly the type of neoconservative hawks who drove us into Iraq, and these are the people who have shepherded and really birthed Tom Cotton’s political career. It’s not a surprise that he’s here doing what he’s doing.

It might not be fully compact yet... The line between normal neocon and authoritarian is still a little blurry here. Either there's more overlap between the groups than we can measure, or the authoritarians are playing with the neocon's money and for some reason the neocons don't care. (Uncharacteristic of them, I must say...)

Israel is so weird as an issue. It seems everyone everywhere has some opinion on Israel, be it the government itself or the I/P thing, but I never understood why it garnered the fascination that it did. While I won't deny it as a local issue to those actually living in the region, why I must continue hearing about it all the time over here in North America never quite connects. It's not hard to conclude that people talking about Israel are seldom actually talking about Israel; they're using it as a symbol for something else. It's definitely ammunition to load into an Outer Narrative. The question is what exactly the Inner Narrative would be. Aside from something something something Revelation of John (Grand Narrative), I must admit I don't see it beyond that. Even by Inner Narrative standards, it surely must feel like a very distant issue?

Morroque fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 29, 2015

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

received nearly $1 million in donations to his election campaign efforts last year from the Emergency Committee for Israel, run by neoconservative pundit Bill Kristol

this is the key bit here, Bill Kristol is a NeoCon and has been the one driving the Compaction Cycle re: Israel. Tom Cotton is an Authoritarian and got a little out of hand. The normal checks and balances process that would have stopped an idiotic idea like this dead in its tracks ten years ago has all been purged out. Now when someone gets an idea, it tends to just be run with uncritically, because no one remembers why this sort of a thing is a bad idea. They really believe it all.

Edit: Clarification on the above paragraph. I missed the part where the article said Cotton had been coaxed into writing the letter by Kristol. In that case your critique is valid. I would argue that it is possible that the NeoCons have swam so deeply in their own media bubble for so long that they have gotten wrapped up in Authoritarian Narratives themselves, (sort of like how L. Ron Hubbard kenw he was a scam artist until he spent so many years surrounded by his fawning followers taht he believed his own horeshit) although this argument is a bit of a stretch at this point even for me.

Morroque posted:

It might not be fully compact yet... The line between normal neocon and authoritarian is still a little blurry here. Either there's more overlap between the groups than we can measure, or the authoritarians are playing with the neocon's money and for some reason the neocons don't care. (Uncharacteristic of them, I must say...)

The NeoCon's don't perceive the difference between themselves and the Authoritarians, only the authoritarians make that distinction. Also I'm sure there is a certain cognitive bias against realizing you have lost control of the movement you spent decades building.

quote:

Israel is so weird as an issue. It seems everyone everywhere has some opinion on Israel, be it the government itself or the I/P thing, but I never understood why it garnered the fascination that it did. While I won't deny it as a local issue to those actually living in the region, why I must continue hearing about it all the time over here in North America never quite connects. It's not hard to conclude that people talking about Israel are seldom actually talking about Israel; they're using it as a symbol for something else. It's definitely ammunition to load into an Outer Narrative. The question is what exactly the Inner Narrative would be. Aside from something something something Revelation of John (Grand Narrative), I must admit I don't see it beyond that. Even by Inner Narrative standards, it surely must feel like a very distant issue?

The inner Narrative of Fundies screams support for Israel. Firstly because they are the chosen people, and secondly because they are bait for the "Jesus Trap". The Lord can't come back unless Israel is a nation, and the Lord is coming back in our lifetimes soooooooo :iamafag:

Edit: Israel connects with the Inner Narrative strongly enough that Huckabee felt compelled to give his "Call Fire Down from Heaven" speech live from Mt. Carmel. The area behind him is called "The Valley of Armageddon" where the final battle will occur and Huckabee waxes philosophical about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doB6Z_XBL60

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 29, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Just to toss some more fuel on the fire -

Do we see any connection with the Dark Enlightenment/neoreactionaires? It seems to give a facade of intellectualism to Authoritarianism, in a similar to way to futurism's entwining to Fascism.

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/uncategorized/dark-enlightenment-creepy-internet-movement-youd-better-take-seriously/

http://www.unknown.nu/futurism/manifesto.html

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I wonder if a good way to blow the mind of an Authoritarian would be just to have the list of traits common to them enter mainstream discourse, then compare him or her to the list. It might generate some useful cognitive dissonance against the belief that he or she is a unique snowflake.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hello Sailor posted:

I wonder if a good way to blow the mind of an Authoritarian would be just to have the list of traits common to them enter mainstream discourse, then compare him or her to the list. It might generate some useful cognitive dissonance against the belief that he or she is a unique snowflake.

I'd imagine a giant pile of denial and they'd see it as an attack on their values, if not outright ignored. People have been calling these people out for years and it just rolls off their shoulders. They think they're better than you, why do they care what you think? Since you're the lesser person, not in on the big secret of ultimate morality, etc. you're obviously a sheep and wrong. But don't worry, the Authoritarian loves you and wants to try to save you and your soul/401K/life/etc. anyways despite your protests.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

PJ, how do we apply your ideas to create predictions about how Authoritarians will react? Does your theory have predictive power?

The marriage equality thread, where she first posted about this, was a pretty great example.

March 1st

Prester John posted:

To the fundamentalist mind legal Gay Marriage is society embracing the most vile, hated act in the entire Bible. Nowhere in the entire fundie worldview is there a sin anywhere near so dangerous as homosexuality. God has destroyed any nation in history that has ever embraced homosexuality, because it is that grievous an insult to His perfect will. By embracing sodomy in such a public way, America is turning its back on God in the most defiant way possible. To the average fundie, this is America signing its own death warrant. Revelations is at hand and the tribulation must begin soon. When I was little I heard over and over that "tolerance of sodomites" would be the very last thing that happened before God's wrath descended down upon the world. It is the final, ultimate, collective defiance of God. Satan's grandest plan to trick us all into forcing God to destroy us.

March loving 2nd

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

A Christian activist named Matt McLaughlin has filed a proposed ballot measure with the California Attorney General's office which would ask voters to approve the death penalty for homosexuality.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LowellDND posted:

Do we see any connection with the Dark Enlightenment/neoreactionaires? It seems to give a facade of intellectualism to Authoritarianism, in a similar to way to futurism's entwining to Fascism.

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/uncategorized/dark-enlightenment-creepy-internet-movement-youd-better-take-seriously/

The difference is that they're powerless tossers without intellect or refinement. They long to be shadowy powers behind the societal trends they purport to document; in reality they're scarred with acne, wearing dusters and lining up for a Magic: The Gathering tournament. You know people are truly worthless when even after the revolution, they wouldn't be worth sticking a bayonet into.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

The difference is that they're powerless tossers without intellect or refinement. They long to be shadowy powers behind the societal trends they purport to document; in reality they're scarred with acne, wearing dusters and lining up for a Magic: The Gathering tournament. You know people are truly worthless when even after the revolution, they wouldn't be worth sticking a bayonet into.

Hey now. Playing Magic doesn't mean you lack the intellect to pull off a coup. It just means you lack the money or time to do so.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Yeah it's overwhelmingly really busy poor people that indulge in a time-consuming hobby based around paying money for small pieces of cardboard.

What the gently caress are you on about?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah it's overwhelmingly really busy poor people that indulge in a time-consuming hobby based around paying money for small pieces of cardboard.

People who play Magic spend all of their time sorting and playing Magic cards and all of their money buying Magic cards. It is a joke.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That was of course the crux of my argument.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Edit: this re-thinking was prompted mostly by marroque's nature/nurture question and prester's response. I think I misconstrued what Prester meant by loving/abusive as it isn't reflected in the PACE thread.

Prester John posted:

Either they learn to hide it like I did, or they go insane, or they wind up in miserable poverty/prison.

After reviewing the PACE thread I'm backing off consistency as the difference between loving/abusive and abusive/abusive. The PACE environment seems quite structured and the rules looked very clear and consistently enforced.

But what struck me in the PACE thread was the adults hyperfocus on what the children thought. Both in shielding them from competing narratives and implanting their own.

This was the difference between how I and my sisters were treated vs how our brother was treated. Dad was born in the late 40's to a group that may have been Amish that he left as a teen and had little contact with afterwards. While being an avowed atheist he worked his way to many conclusions about gender that fundamentalist groups generally hold through alternate lines of logic.

1- Income ( not wealth which can be merely inherited by the unworthy ) is the measure of a person's value/intelligence/work ethic/morality.

2 - He who earns the money makes the rules.

3 - Stay at home mothers and children have no income and are thus parasites/worthless.

4 - ( the trap ) There is no point in sending me to college because I will "just get married and waste it". Or educating me at all really but the law requires it.

5 - My brother will be sent to Yale to study business whether he wants to go or not ( he didn't on both counts ) because these are things a man needs to know to succeed.

Thus women are judged to be subordinate and inferior not because a sky wizard decreed it to be so but rather because the market, in its cold rationality, finds our education to be a waste of funds. And without education it's very hard to succeed in the free market.

So my brother arguably got loving/abusive treatment while the rest of us didn't due to Dad's sexism. Dad had definite ideas about what G should be and actively sought to inculcate them while I was ignored unless I broke a rule or was needed to help with yardwork/etc. I absorbed his rhetoric second hand by listening to him lecture G and sought to live up to it in the hopes of gaining attention/approval which never came.

I didn't understand the trap till I was 16 and he found me researching colleges at the kitchen table. He had never intended to send me to college but communicated with me so little that it had never come up. I'd merely heard him lecturing G endlessly on the importance of grades to get into a good college and set myself to that goal. This is wildly different than a daughter getting loving/abusive treatment who would have had any such aspirations actively squashed before she could even form them.

It's the difference between racists who thought that black people couldn't learn to read and racists who worried about what would happen if black people were permitted to learn to read. The latter supported laws making it a crime to teach a slave to read while it would never occur to the former to forbid it.

Anywho, of the 5 of us my little brother is unquestionably the most hosed up. Loving/abuse is much harder to deal with than neglect/abuse for people who don't live up to the parents ideals. He was born underdeveloped, a fraternal twin so small that doctors hadn't even realized he was there until he came out. He never caught up to his peers physically. He is more artistic than academically inclined and should have been aimed at Julliard, not Yale.

The rest of us couldn't impress dad no matter what we did. I was a brain. G's twin sister went the jock route and was the track star of her high school - able to outrun even the boys. But by the same token we couldn't disappoint him either. Our failures went as unremarked as our successes. G, otoh, lived in the constant shadow of parental disappointment/frustration. He wasn't good enough and was told so constantly.

It lacks the drama of "you are going to hell for not being properly manly" but has the same general sentiment of the child being inherently wrong and despicable for it. It nurtures the same poisonous hatred of self.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

twodot posted:

People who play Magic spend all of their time sorting and playing Magic cards and all of their money buying Magic cards. It is a joke.

Yep. Most frequently told by magic players. Of which I am one. Been playing since the mid 90s.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SedanChair posted:

That was of course the crux of my argument.

Making jokes about nerds on the internet is always going to create defensiveness that distracts from the real point. It's generally better to avoid it just so you don't have to deal with idiot "I PLAY MAGIC AND IM NOT DUMB" arguments that have nothing to do with what you were saying.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

McAlister posted:

So my brother arguably got loving/abusive treatment while the rest of us didn't due to Dad's sexism. Dad had definite ideas about what G should be and actively sought to inculcate them while I was ignored unless I broke a rule or was needed to help with yardwork/etc. I absorbed his rhetoric second hand by listening to him lecture G and sought to live up to it in the hopes of gaining attention/approval which never came.

I didn't understand the trap till I was 16 and he found me researching colleges at the kitchen table. He had never intended to send me to college but communicated with me so little that it had never come up. I'd merely heard him lecturing G endlessly on the importance of grades to get into a good college and set myself to that goal. This is wildly different than a daughter getting loving/abusive treatment who would have had any such aspirations actively squashed before she could even form them.

It's the difference between racists who thought that black people couldn't learn to read and racists who worried about what would happen if black people were permitted to learn to read. The latter supported laws making it a crime to teach a slave to read while it would never occur to the former to forbid it.

Anywho, of the 5 of us my little brother is unquestionably the most hosed up. Loving/abuse is much harder to deal with than neglect/abuse for people who don't live up to the parents ideals. He was born underdeveloped, a fraternal twin so small that doctors hadn't even realized he was there until he came out. He never caught up to his peers physically. He is more artistic than academically inclined and should have been aimed at Julliard, not Yale.

The rest of us couldn't impress dad no matter what we did. I was a brain. G's twin sister went the jock route and was the track star of her high school - able to outrun even the boys. But by the same token we couldn't disappoint him either. Our failures went as unremarked as our successes. G, otoh, lived in the constant shadow of parental disappointment/frustration. He wasn't good enough and was told so constantly.

It lacks the drama of "you are going to hell for not being properly manly" but has the same general sentiment of the child being inherently wrong and despicable for it. It nurtures the same poisonous hatred of self.

Thank you for this, its a really good point. I have been pondering for awhile that there is a strong connection between the behaviours I am describing and a certain type of child abuse, but I wasn't able to articulate it. Your example of loving/abuse where the authority figure is constantly focused on every aspect of the child's life while making unreasonable (and probably impossible) demands for performance is bang on I think. In that vein, let me quote a couple relevant pieces I posted in "Creative Convention" awhile back.

These are selections from my Autobiography that I have been working on and off for years. Most of the time, this poo poo is just too painful. I mean, really too painful for me to think about. I can barely tell most of these stories, and whenever I work on this autobiography I always find it too triggering after a couple weeks and have to stop. And I am no stranger to discussing painful things. So with that said, consider both of these pieces to have *MASSIVE* trigger warnings. If you have this sort of abuse in your past, or if you are having a good day, you might want to skip reading these. (Or do a couple hard shots first.)

This is a description of the physical abuse I experienced at the school.

Prester John posted:

"The worst part about living with a bruised rear end was never the pain. While the pain was plenty bad enough in its own right, I learned to cope with it over time. A practiced stoicism, never betraying my emotions and never letting the pain show on my face was a skill I had mastered by the time I was ten. For me, as bad as the pain was, the real worst part was the constant intrusive reminder of my shame. The pain served as certain proof that I didn't deserve to be happy, a constant nagging reminder that I wasn't as good enough. The pain I learned to tune out, the shame I struggle with even as an adult in my 30's.

Whenever I was beaten at the school there was sort of a rhythm to it. A ritual of abuse if you will. The paddle, when wielded with such force against nine year old me, created a distinct process of pain that developed in stages over the course of several days.

There was usually a great deal of buildup to these beatings. Although not always the case, I often knew days in advance when a beating was going to occur. I remember lying awake at night, dreading the morning, clinging to every moment of night so taht the morning would never come. But the morning would come. I would get up and desperately wish that I was living in China, because in China it was already tomorrow and this would be over. The day would creep by slowly as the appointed hour approached. I ate very little on such days, my stomach was too upset. Sometimes I crept into the bathroom and vomited on such days, and although this relieved some of the stress it made the shame worse. When I was finally summoned into the office I felt a mixture of stark terror and strange relief.

At least the waiting was over.

The Pastor would be there waiting for me, as well as whatever elders were handy and occasionally my parents. My crimes would be explained to me for the third or fourth time and Bible verses supporting spanking were read to me. It was then explained to me that this was all part of God's perfect plan, and that God had designed my body so that no real harm could come to me from this. There would be a prayer, the Pastor implioring God to impart the lessons of understanding the justice of this punishment. Then i would be bent over the radiator in his office.

The pastor kept a collection of paddles in his office, different types depending on the age of the child. For kindergartners a switch was used, teenagers got an shellacked oaken paddle with holes drilled in it to reduce wind resistance. For my age group a smooth wooden paddle about the size of a breadboard was used. As I was bent over the Pastor, a solidly built black belt, would slowly trace a path from the ceiling to my rear end three or four times, winding himself up. The technique was to sort of skip off the rear end, striking it at an oblique angle. A solid connection would have slammed my head into the wall. I was warned not to flinch under any circumstances and especialy not to lift my head as this could cause the paddle to strike me in the back of the head and hurt me very badly. I would hold myself, terrified, quivering, waiting torturous moments for the impact, promising myself never to sin again.

In the first moment after the paddle struck there was nothing. Everything froze. A tingling numbness would start in my back and rapidly envelope my body, a momentary reprieve caused by my young nervous system being overwhelmed with stimulation. In this moment the anxiety went away, everything went away.

Then came the first stage of pain.

Loud, harsh, penetrating, and all encompassing. This pain was too much to bear at first, there was no reprieve from it, no way of understanding, no way of coping. This pain thrust itself front and center into every aspect of my awareness and would not leave. I would be panicked, overwhelmed with pain. And then the arm of the pastor would force me into a bear hug and I would be forced to pray with him, to thank him for loving me enough to discipline me in a godly way. All the while I would be writhing, struggling with an instinctual desire to bolt for the door and run strait out the front door of the school. I would tear up and I would sob, but I never surrendered myself enough to fully cry in front of the adults. I was too ashamed. To this day I have a hard time tolerating the touch of another male and unexpected hugs from friends have nearly resulted in fistfights.

I would go into the boys bathroom afterwards and hide in a toilet stall, choking on my sobs. I would be breathing heavily, tears running down my cheeks and onto my heaving chest. When I heard footsteps in the hallway outside I would hold my breath until they passed. I felt humiliated and as much as possible I didn't want anybody to know. And there, sitting on a toilet with my face pressed into a corner to muffle my breathing better, I would stay until I had calmed down. When my gasping had become manageable I would step outside and return to class.

The first few steps out of the bathroom would be harsh. My legs would feel wobbly and my knees were often shaky for hours. The pain would still be very present, throbbing and pulseating, it would often take a few dozen experimental steps to find a way of moving my legs that caused the least pain. And then there was the shame. Worse than all the pain and crying was the knowledge that I had deserved this, the sense that everyone in school from the teachers to my classmates knew what I had done.

To me, the beatings felt like a personal moral failure. A blemish. A shame. I had disobeyed so badly that the adults had been forced to discipline me this way. I didn't want anybody to know how rotten I was. The sense that I had been exposed as a sinful creature not walking the righteous path was palpable and I would often avoid eye contact, feeling lesser and unworthy when around my peers that had not been (recently) beaten.

When I would re-enter my class I would do so as discreetly as possible. It didn't really matter though, everyone knew. Everyone always knew. There were fewer than 100 people in the school, including staff, in all 13 grades (k-12th) combined. In such a small student body everyone knew everything that happened. I avoided everyone's gaze and looked only at the ground in front of me. Quiet as a mouse I would return to my desk, slide my chair out, and slowly sit.

The chairs were cheap, flat metal affairs. No sense of cushioning or comfort had really been thought of in their purchase. This made them unpleasant in the best of circumstances, but with a freshly beaten buttocks they were almost intolerable. My breath would catch as a hiss in my teeth when my butt first made contact with the chair. I hated the attention this brought me. I learned that holding my breath just before I sat down was the best way to keep that first involuntary gasp as quiet as possible. I also learned that the normal "scooching" movement of pulling my chair back into my desk could cause tremendous pain, so whenever I had to move my chair in or out I would clutch the base of it with both hands and lift it up held against my backside. This was a very awkward movement and made noise, but it felt less humiliating than sobbing, so I did it that way.

Once seated the throbbing would start to subside and, with careful experimentation, I could usually find an exact way of sitting that minimized the pain. My breathing under control at this point I would then try to focus on my schoolwork. My mind, racing at first, would quiet gradually, and I would think only of schoolwork and trying to minimize the pain.

Its a curious thing after a beating- there is a sort of emotional exhaustion that would set in on me, a feeling of being too tired to do anything but what I was told. It was all so overwhelming emotionally I would enter a sort of dead zone. I had no curiosity, no excitement, nothing. All I wanted was to be a good boy, and I would do anything that I thought made me a good boy. I just did whatever was asked of me by adults. If they told me to work I worked. If they told me to play I imitated [play until they left the room. I had no energy to do anything else but obey.

As I would sit at my desk I would just put my head down and work as hard as I could, it took my mind off of things. Working made me a good boy and good boys didn't get whacks.

Anyways as bad as all that was, it wasn't the worst of it. A few hours later, after the throbbing had long subsided would start the stinging. The pain would move from outside on the surface of my body and inside my body as the deep tissue damage set in. Whereas there was once a broad and flat pain, there was now a sharp stinging pain. A pain that cut right through me, a wincing, taunting, spiteful pain. It would start out small at first, barely noticeable, barely distinct from the shallower pain. Just a pinprick in size at first. But over the course of time it would spread. But this wasn't the worst of it.

The worst was the reminder this pain brought, the proof of my brokenness this pain represented.

Being inside of my body this pain felt more personal, more intimate. Like a firm voice whispering a reminder in my ear. Your Bad the pain would remind me. You deserve this. I would shut it out as much as possible, and often I could find a seated position that allowed the pain to recede far enough away for me to concentrate on my workbooks. But each little shift of my young body, each squirm or fidget or moment of inattentiveness could cause a sudden shaft of pain to shoot through me. My breath caught in my lungs, the unwelcome agony would thrust itself into my mind, only a moment behind was the shame. Fidget, wince You don't deserve to feel good. Reach, gasp, You sinned. Stretch, whimper God doesn't love you.

At night, when the stinging had spread from my butt down to my thighs and sometimes my legs, I would only be able to fall asleep only by laying on my side or stomach. Rolling over in my sleep would cause a thunderbolt of pain and i would waken with a yelp. Some nights sleep was a balancing game, finding a position to fall where I felt the least pain and hold it till I fell sleep. I would be jolted back awake the moment I moved wrong. Then I would try to find the position of least pain and hold it. Rinse repeat. Some nights passed in dreamless misery in this way, the first few nights after a whack being always the hardest.

This intimate pain, this pain inside me, this was from God. It was a personal reminder from God that he was angry with me, a reminder of the cost of my disobedience. God had made buttocks safe for adults to spank children, that is why God instructed us to be spanked. It was all part of his personal plan. Butts could be hit as hard as need be, you would never harm the child, God had said so. Adults knew exactly how much spanking the child deserved, God said so. "Spare the rod spoil the child" the Bible said. I believed it with all my heart, and with all my heart I wanted so badly to be a good boy like the other kids. I wanted to feel like one of them, to be treated like a good boy by the adults.

I knew how lucky I was to have Godly adults in my life. Adults who loved me enough to discipline me in the way a perfect God perfectly commanded. Public school kids never got spanked, and they were unruly and almost certainly going to hell because of it. Without these adults God had put into my life, I would be blindly going to hell as well. And so it was that whenever this deep stinging pain hit me, I was reminded of how close I was to burning in hell, damned because of my rebellion and sin. This pain from God, this was his warning to me. If I continued to disobey I would burn in hell for eternity, and this pain was only a tiny taste of that. God wanted to love us all, but he couldn't love us if we went to hell. I wanted to be worthy of God's love, but I knew for certain if I were worthy God wouldn't be putting this pain inside me."

This is a description of the abuse I experienced at home during some of the time we were home schooled under the supervision of the cult, as well as some discussion of how that interacted with my symptoms. The onset of my hallucinations was earlier in life than normal, starting at around age 3.

Prester John posted:

"I have always been prone to altered states of consciousness, and in my life I have experienced many varieties of altered states. Some of which I have experienced only a few times, and others which have been a consistent occurrence throughout my life. I would like to now describe one particular such altered state that I have experienced probably thousands of times. For lack of a better term I call it "Bi-Infinity Awareness".The first time I can recall experiencing this particular altered state I was 9 years old. I had a mild cold at the time and my mother gave me a small dose of NyQuil, not knowing it contained a sedative. I went into my room (which I shared with my two younger brothers) and lay down in my bed, the bottom bunk of an old wooden bunk bed. The sedative acted to relax my body but put my mind in a state of delirium.

My Mother, though well intentioned, suffered tremendous abuse in her own childhood, and is probably a Schizophrenic much like myself. (More on this later) At this point in her life my Mother was starting to buckle under the stress of raising four children and homeschooling her two oldest. Prone to unpredictable outbursts of rage and violence, my Mother was introducing my siblings and I to a world of constant terror and irrational authority figures.

At this time one of my Mother's recent innovations when upset with us had been to create gigantic messes out of our homeschooling supplies, screaming and swearing the whole time. She would fling the carefully organized supplies around the room, pencils and papers and flash cards and erasers, all of it. We would then be punished if we did not clean up the mess quickly or accurately enough. As the real point of the exercise was to find an excuse to beat us, there was never a single occasion where we ever came close to performing well enough to avoid a severe spanking administered while my Mother swore like a sailor.

"gently caress MY poo poo gently caress MY poo poo gently caress MY GODDAMN poo poo gently caress MY gently caress MY FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!" my Mother would scream at us, her face twisted into a terrifying visage of naked hatred, her voice cracking with unconstrained rage. She would tear around the room paddle in hand, alternating between beating us and swearing at us, demanding that we stand up strait the entire time and descending on us with a fury for every perceived slight. The faintest hint of disrespect in our voices when we said "Yes Ma'am" being enough to get us shoved across the room or bent over her knee and beaten, or sometimes when she was feeling particularly vindictive she would charge off to our bedrooms and we would stand their listening as our toys and treasures were smashed to bits with the wooden paddle. Often times these incidents would end with the four of us each consigned to a separate corner that we had to sit facing until our father returned, often 5-6 hours later. Upon our fathers return our Mother would recite a litany of charges against us, some often completely imagined, and our Father would beat us for the same offenses all over again, although in a much more controlled and less severe fashion.

Being children with no contact with the outside world whatsoever (the world was the domain of Satan and we were taught to view all non-Christians with suspicion) we blamed ourselves. After each and every beating we were reminded that our Mother's behaviour was our fault. If we would just be good kids for her then she wouldn't have to get so angry at us, we were constantly told. Even our Father, the one adult that could be sometimes reasoned with, would sometimes react to the state he would return home to find his wife in by demonizing us kids, accusing us of having plotted to do this to our Mother on purpose out of malice. At times our lives seemed to only alternate between shame from knowing we were "bad kids", to terror as we witnessed our Mother become unhinged with salivating rage.

And so it was against this backdrop of constant terror that I began to hallucinate as I lay in a NyQuil induced delirium. I hallucinated that my Mother was on the top bunk above me tossing out flash cards. (These cards were a particular terror for me as they were individually numbered and had to be put back into an exact order when she tossed them out, or we would be beaten.) I knew I had to get up and pick up the flash cards, but I was nearly paralyzed, I could barely move at all. So I watched helplessly as the pile on the floor grew bigger, into the thousands. My Mind reeled in terror, I couldn't count that high, there were so many cards, I couldn't comprehend it all. All the while my Mother kept giggling and throwing more cards into the pile. It grew to an inconceivable pile, and I knew I was going to be punished for each and every one of them. Then the room grew hazy.

I cannot say exactly how it started or what the first image was, but I remember the sensation quite clearly. One moment the pile of flash cards was unfathomable, gigantic beyond description, and the next it was tiny, insignificant, microscopic. Then the pile was hopelessly gigantic again. Then it was both, at the same time. I closed my eyes.
Images flashed before me, geometric symmetries arced across my field of vision, at once gigantic beyond measure and tiny, insignificant. A spherical shape was at once the size of a planet and at the same time the size of a marble compared to the ocean. Waves of a sensation that I can only call "unreality" rolled over me. The world felt fake, all this was fake, synthetic somehow, none of it was real. And at the same time these images kept flashing before my eyes, changing in an electric fashion, constantly both gigantic and minuscule. Anxiety of such an intensity that I was nauseated rose up within me, I was growing terrified and confused, but I couldn't move. Everything was happening so fast, nothing was making sense. The pile on the floor kept growing, my mothers taunting laughs became the geometry that flashed before my eyes. Everything was confused and sounds became symbols and fear became a flavor and my terror was written on the flashcards.

Mercifully, I eventually blacked out.

Ever since that day I have experienced this particular altered state many times throughout my life, most often when I was some combination of tired and stressed, although not always. Usually a mild form of it will start when I lay down after a long day, but I have also slipped into this altered state while having sex or driving. (One time I had to close my eyes and make up an excuse to end the sex, poor girl knew I was being evasive and strange but didn't know why I suddenly needed to stop. I think she took it personally.) Like many aspects of my hallucinations it occurs usually, but not exclusively, at night."

Like I said earlier in the thread, I have been staring into the abyss my entire life.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

LowellDND posted:

I would say the rough pattern fits here. Thankfully this seems to be just an Internet thing and lacks actual organization, so it will never gain any momentum.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
PJ, are you familiar with Essence of Decision? I feel like you could use some of Allison's points to further refine your theory. Part of his framework deals with how as a whole a country can make decisions that seem insane but are actually rational on the micro level depending on the values/immediate needs/psychology of individual actors within a nation. His ideas also successfully predicted some political events in the 70s. Some of his ideas are incompatible with yours but some are complimentary. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xibanya posted:

PJ, are you familiar with Essence of Decision? I feel like you could use some of Allison's points to further refine your theory. Part of his framework deals with how as a whole a country can make decisions that seem insane but are actually rational on the micro level depending on the values/immediate needs/psychology of individual actors within a nation. His ideas also successfully predicted some political events in the 70s. Some of his ideas are incompatible with yours but some are complimentary. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Never heard of this before, but I will look into this. Thanks.

I am working on ways of refining my ideas (the feedback in the thread has been immensely helpful) and I think I will have a better description of an Authoritarian individual soon, or at the very least, I've got an idea I'm currently refining based on running with childhood experiences shaping the image of a both loving and capricious authority figure that you must depend upon.

I am strongly considering giving a go at writing a book based around these ideas if I can refine them down enough and find a suitably coherent format to communicate them. Thanks again for all the feedback guys. I welcome more questions or comments, as answering questions really helps me refine a way to communicate my concepts better.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I also want to add that I have read many of your threads and if you should ever make your way up to Austin, send me a PM as I would love to buy you a drink/beverage of your choice. Lots of goons have met me IRL so they can attest that I am a harmless lady with noodle arms and not a scary craigslist killer.

Another thing I am interested in hearing your thoughts on is how many of these types find ambiguity intolerable. Given previous posters' thoughts on the possibility of a harsh authority figure in the formative years of Authoritarians shaping their views, do you think some form of what we call borderline personality disorder may also be at work? I was involved with a borderline person for two years and much of what has been said about inner/outer narratives would apply to that individual as well. To those unfamiliar with that disorder, sufferers have a difficult time seeing in shades of gray - people they know are either evil or saintly.

I suffer from ADHD and to some extent I identify with those who suffer dissociation and a need to find patters. I would prefer to be neurotypical, but I do believe that under the guidance of my psychiatrist and my counselor at times my disorder can help me see the world in unique and sometimes valuable ways. Though my disorder has not brought me as much suffering or at least inconvenience as yours, I feel encouraged by how you've turned your life around and also found ways to make your weakness into a strength.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
McAllister, could you tell us more about your childhood? I remember about half a year ago in the Libertarian megathread you mentioned that your dad refused to pay for your university education because of his belief that women should not be educated, and that educating girls was an "inefficiency" forced onto the market by the government, and that you were able to go by using a bank account he had under your name.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

"They just follow the narrative"

If that's the case, that means authoritarianism is always an idealism/essentialism. And I think that means that having an opinion of how the world ought to be, always risks falling into an authoritarian mindset.

Separately,
I don't think the Kochs are doing their thing cynically. I think Charles Koch is a 100% true believer. Bunch of people here disagree with me about that. Had a thread about it a while back. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598750

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm with you. The Kochs aren't puppet masters. Their father felt he was screwed over by the elitist capitalism of the US and shocked by how nasty Stalinism was so he developed a lot of crazy ideas about what "freedom" means. Also, an engineer, and we know how they tend to play out.

The Koch Brothers were just raised in that environment. It worked out super well for them, who are they to question it? Sure, the free market might screw them over when their "100% authentic Thomas Jefferson, OC do not steal!" wine might be fake but, while those sorts of market failures suck, they don't really screw anyone over. It's just a bump in the road.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
First off, I'm really sorry you had to go through so much as a kid, Prester. I pretty much had the opposite experience, growing up in a Wiccan household that went to the Unitarian Universalist church. I had inclusiveness, diversity, all the leftist values extolled as virtues, and I never knew that while I was living in relative harmony that there were kids my age that were still going through this, until I met my friend, let's call him Jay.

Jay was my best friend in (public)middle school, we did a lot of hanging out, and he would always want to go to my house for overnight visits. I really didn't get why until my parents had a concert they wanted to go to and they asked Jay's mom if I could stay the night, she said yes. At this point I'd never been to his house before. So I go to his house for the night, and on the TV is Fox News, and she's sitting on the couch. I talk to her for like five minutes, explaining my medications (ADHD, insomnia), making small talk and she says that she and her family go to the Assembly of God, and asks me what church I go to.

So I tell her and she starts asking about it because she'd never heard of it before. And as I'm describing this to her, her face scrunches into this disgusted look, and I can tell I should probably shut up. She goes on for another 20 minutes or so about how she takes pity on me for having parents that are raising me in sin and how the "church" I belong to is a front for Satan, and that she's going to add our whole family to her daily prayer list. "Won't you please go with Jay to his youth group on Wednesday?" I told her my athletics run late and there's no way I'd have time. I excuse myself and hang out with him.

Two weeks later, Jay tells me that his mom isn't enrolling him in high school. He said he was getting homeschooled, and that we probably wouldn't be able to hang out anymore.

At the beginning of 12th grade, he's back. We instantly hit it off again. Turns out she wanted him to avoid all the evolution talk and old earth stuff in bio and geology, respectively, so she made a deal with the principal to get him to graduate (colleges don't like homeschooling as much as a diploma). He also told me that she thought I would turn him from Jesus and didn't want him hanging out with me anymore. So we were only able to hang out at school that last year.

Anyway, Jay showed me one of those packets of homeschooling work, and I'm almost positive it was that ACE crap, looking back. He eventually moved 500 miles away from his mom and is a staunch liberal atheist and we chat on Facebook. He still won't talk about his mom or the time he was homeschooled, and I fear a lot worse than what I personally saw was going on behind the scenes. His younger brother and sister ate the bullshit and one is a missionary in South America and the other is going to BJU. She was the closest I ever personally got to this Authoritarian mindset, though at the time I chalked it up to simply religious fundamentalism.

Thanks for this thread, it has been an entertaining, if not sometimes painful to read ride that has broadened the connections between certain aspects of society I usually try to pretend don't exist. Definitely write a book, if you can. I'd be right in line to buy.

Negative_Kittens fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 30, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Prester John posted:

I have been pondering for awhile that there is a strong connection between the behaviours I am describing and a certain type of child abuse ...

It's hard to pin down. Your description of your mother fit my first interpretation of what you meant when you said "loving/abusive" much better than the PACE school. I initially envisioned a Jeckyl/Hyde dynamic where they alternated between loving and abusive unpredictably. But at any moment only being one thing.

But that didn't capture the dynamic of threading love through the abuse until the two merge which appears to be present both in the structured pace school and your home life as well as my brother's experience while absent from me and my sisters'.

Prester John posted:

This is a description of the physical abuse I experienced at the school.

This is a description of the abuse I experienced at home

Thankfully, our abuse was mostly mental. While spanking was frequent, "the rod" was metaphorical rather than physical and the unassisted human hand can't deal that kind of damage.

Self-harm was a bigger risk for us. But that's a very different dynamic as things like cutting make you feel better. The small amount of pain triggers endorphins that relieve stress so it's a coping tactic.

Prester John posted:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I have been staring into the abyss my entire life.

First:

/Hug

Second:

Would you say that the severity of the physical punishment was a key ingredient to breaking you? You seem to alternate between implying that your mental issues were caused by the physical/mental abuse and implying that they were there regardless but were worsened by the abuse.

And having no personal experience with physical abuse on that scale I can't determine whether to consider it a difference of degree or a difference of kind. Does it make the emotional abuse dynamic worse or does it transform it into an entirely new dynamic?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BrandorKP posted:

If that's the case, that means authoritarianism is always an idealism/essentialism. And I think that means that having an opinion of how the world ought to be, always risks falling into an authoritarian mindset.

There's a level of internalization and a weird amalgam of self-worship/hatred going on with Authoritarians in comparison to idealists or essentialists. A part of the OP from PJ explains that there's some kind of dependence (on a narrative) at play which causes the leap from one to the other. There's a hypothesis and then there's religion (in the metaphorical sense as a devotional attachment to a hypothesis) and "having an opinion of how the world ought to be" exists in both but is not at risk of becoming Authoritarianism unless there's other indications such as the self-worship/hatred activity.
Someone gets to be the star of their own narrative (worship) but then blames themselves for not being pure enough (hatred) while simultaneously insisting that they are pure enough (worship) deep down and just have to basically lose all of the impure blood (hatred) through a purge or privation, etc.

That said, would Lee Atwater's famous quote be an example of the formation of an Outer Narrative? The one where he talks about masking racism (N-word in triplicate) behind what would now be called something like "individual liberty" like railing against busing and social programs. The O.N. being the shifted rhetoric about busing and welfare while the I.N. is their personal justifications for racism.

Now the convergence of those narratives got forced by Obama being elected in 2008, and suddenly you have this leviathan monster they've been secretly nurturing for 30 years lured out into the sunlight by a no-poo poo-actual-black-man becoming president. That's the world itself attacking their Inner Narratives, and they have been freaking out ever since, like some kind of Demolition Man-style conditioned trigger. It's like they wake up every day and get slapped in the face with that attack on their own personal hero-fantasy, and every day they're feeling that unique embarrassment-rage that comes from being shaken to your soul's core by losing an emotional argument to someone who out-thought you 30 minutes prior.

Part of that embarrassment-rage rears its head in this thread, with people who saw themselves in the OP's descriptions, and had to immediately post some short comment about a word's definition or how their willful misinterpretation of the OP's thesis as political rather than behavioral means the OP is a hypocrite since the truth is always in the middle. It isn't as vehement as the Trading Spouses Lady but it's a similar primal scream for the comfort of the narrative - "your discussion makes me uncomfortable in its proximity and I must charge at it headlong in defense of my narrative."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think personality cults and groups that exist on the relative political margins are actually quite different even if there is an overlap. One distinct difference is the political alliances formed by those groups that exist outside the worship of that leader. Most cults only exist to support their own structure, but usually don't have higher aspirations and that is a pretty key difference.

I can see a "inner and outer narrative" being formed by both but for different purposes.

That said, I think the psychology of it is actually rather rational in the sense marginalized political groups that their internal narrative simply will not work in public (for now) and they need a more public friendly narrative. However, are they necessarily insane for holding an opinion on the margins? It may be cynical and if intellectually dishonest but not necessarily pathological.

One thing is also that an public narrative that crushes all resistance, a society that is effectively completely totalitarian in discourse is probably not such a good thing either even if you believe all marginal political philosophies should be crushed because the answer has been found.

I mean if you look at the examples in this thread: all forms of far-leftism/ISIS/Tea Party/Evangelicals/Russian Separatists etc etc, there is the question of what isn't authoritarian and you end up with socially liberal/liberal democratic/economically free market discourse as the "safe" non-authoritarian form of discourse.

In a sense, I think there is a profound confirmation bias.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Ardennes posted:

It may be cynical and if intellectually dishonest but not necessarily pathological.

In a sense, I think there is a profound confirmation bias.

This is what the bridge/shield post was about. Everyone tries to put in their best public face. But there is a difference between using it as a bridge and using it as a shield.

Bridge people feel cognitive dissonance if you destabilize the side of their bridge that is anchored in public discourse. Shield people don't.

This allows shield people to not update their inner beliefs if their outer is soundly disproven and also to continue to express the debunked shield ( your facts are interpreted as lies by my brain ) shamelessly after debunking because the shield is just a shield, not an actual interface to the thought processes of another person.

This hugely harms the ability to have productive discourse with a shield person and that is pathological.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

McAlister posted:

This is what the bridge/shield post was about. Everyone tries to put in their best public face. But there is a difference between using it as a bridge and using it as a shield.

Bridge people feel cognitive dissonance if you destabilize the side of their bridge that is anchored in public discourse. Shield people don't.

This allows shield people to not update their inner beliefs if their outer is soundly disproven and also to continue to express the debunked shield ( your facts are interpreted as lies by my brain ) shamelessly after debunking because the shield is just a shield, not an actual interface to the thought processes of another person.

This hugely harms the ability to have productive discourse with a shield person and that is pathological.

It isn't though, it is just an utter rejection with engagement but that isn't truly pathological, as there is a rational defense to their action. Their "shield" is about an utter rejection of normative discourse, this is an extreme position but nevertheless in that sense they have no desire for a bridge into discourse most likely because that narrative is so much larger and powerful than they are and they know the stakes of actual engagement may mean total defeat if they lose. The more marginalized they are, the higher their stakes for true engagement.

That said though in essence when you start talking about movements/countries/populations as pathological then something has gone wrong in your analysis.

If you want to disconnect it from politics completely and say there is just an "authoritarian" personality type that exists in all cultures, that is one thing but once you try to make it a political analysis it makes it more tricky.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xibanya posted:

I also want to add that I have read many of your threads and if you should ever make your way up to Austin, send me a PM as I would love to buy you a drink/beverage of your choice. Lots of goons have met me IRL so they can attest that I am a harmless lady with noodle arms and not a scary craigslist killer.

Thanks, next time I come through Austin I will look you up. You needn't worry about scaring me though, I was born in an Amish community and I look the part (About 6 foot tall, broad shouldered, etc). I'll never pass if I transition but I am okay with being a mannish Lesbian, so its all good.

I would say first off that Authoritarians have no tolerance for ambiguity where the Narrative is concerned. Zero, zilch, nada. In general they don't have much overall tolerance for ambiguity, but in areas where the Narrative is not perceived to be involved, then ambiguity is to some degree accepted. Often, a discussion about something as meaningless as "Coke vs Pepsi" is held up internally in the group as proof that they have free and open discussions."If we are willing to shout at each other over Coke and then be friends afterwards, it just proves how open minded we are. And all us open minded people have independently come to the exact same conclusion about *aspect of Narrative*" See for example how often Libertarian related outfits try to promote themselves as free and independent thinkers. (Or the ironically named "Liberty" University when it is little more than a hellish 1984 simulator for college kids.)

Switching gears, several of the small cults i was involved with when I was in my late teens/early 20's had people involved who have since gone on to be diagnosed as Borderline. Often Borderline individuals in these groups were among the fastest to radicalize and frequently achieved leadership roles of one form or another. I have seen at least one person who has been formally diagnosed Borderline (although fairly mild on the spectrum) remove themselves from the Authoritarian environment and successfully leave it all behind.

Having thought about it at some length, the cases I am personally familiar with where people have left Authoritarianism behind have done so through a combination of losing access (sometimes purposefully) to the constant rage fuel required to sustain the mindset (Alex Jones Documentaries and the like in my case) and going through a period of developing introspection while in a non-Authoritarian environment.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BrandorKP posted:

Separately,
I don't think the Kochs are doing their thing cynically. I think Charles Koch is a 100% true believer. Bunch of people here disagree with me about that. Had a thread about it a while back. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598750

I am not familiar enough with the Koch's to really comment, but if they are true believers (Authoritarains), that is quite a bad thing. That means the 1 Billion dollars they have already (publicly) pledged for this election is going to disproportionately wind up in the hands of Authoritarians. Specifically, Authoritarians that are at this moment extremely pissed off that Gay People exist.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread