Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this going to a third set, Serena is just giving this away

Or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Women's tennis is terrible.

Except when it gets awesome.

:catstare:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

LOL worst reception ever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Serena :neckbeard:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Serena's still on course to doing the first calendar year Grand Slam since Steffi Graf... :eyepop:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
goddam that match sucked.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Never any doubt Serena was going to win after beating Azarenka.

Diet Crack posted:

Not that it has any bearing on the match or tennis whatsoever (take note media), Muguruza is good lookin. Far more than Sharapova in my eyes, and she's the one who gets all the attention?

Well Sharapova has won all the slams for one thing but I agree with the rest. After Muguruza beat Serena last year I expected to see more of her.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So 3 more grand slams and Serena can overtake Court. Hope she does it, since Court has turned out to be a religious nut.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
God drat Serena is the best

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sodium Chloride posted:

Well Sharapova has won all the slams for one thing but I agree with the rest. After Muguruza beat Serena last year I expected to see more of her.

Won't be long IMO before Muguruza has slams to her name. Shitload of resilience for someone that young.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

So 3 more grand slams and Serena can overtake Court. Hope she does it, since Court has turned out to be a religious nut.

Actually, 4 slams (3 is to tie her) and :agreed:.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

zakharov posted:

Yeah, she's great. I hope she crushes the US Open and gets the Grand Slam.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Now here's hoping Federer can pull it off tomorrow

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, she's great. I hope she crushes the US Open and gets the Grand Slam.

zakharov posted:

Eltoasto posted:

She's a roided up freak preying on the worst competition of the Open era. I hope her body collapses soon.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

On the other hand, she's cool and I hope she wins all the slams

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

She's a roided up freak preying on the worst competition of the Open era. I hope her body collapses soon.

I am sure that a player who moved to play in Spain had access to a higher quantity and quality of PEDs

(I actually like Muguruza but am still bitter over the semis)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 11, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

https://twitter.com/TheCauldron/status/617036306871382020

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ross Angeles posted:

On the other hand, she's cool and I hope she wins all the slams

She's a terrible sport with a graceless style of play who threatens line judges, harasses umpires, and has dominated women's tennis in an era of very poor competition. Why anyone likes her is beyond me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tacier posted:

She's a terrible sport with a graceless style of play who threatens line judges, harasses umpires, and has dominated women's tennis in an era of very poor competition. Why anyone likes her is beyond me.

What is "graceless" about it?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Tacier posted:

Because she's really good at tennis.

Are we blaming Serena for everyone else not being good enough now?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If someone wants to pretend she's not an all-time top talent because this era sucks then maybe you should stop bullying them? The way Serena bullies her opponents; without grace.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is "graceless" about it?

she's black

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't hate Serena at all, I just like rooting for someone else to win for a change. Venus on the other hand..

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

zakharov posted:

she's black

And not a true champion like, say, John McEnroe who threatened line judges and harassed umpires all day long. But, you see, it was ok back then because

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

And not a true champion like, say, John McEnroe who threatened line judges and harassed umpires all day long. But, you see, it was ok back then because
I don't think anyone here mentioned McEnroe until you.

Cavauro posted:

If someone wants to pretend she's not an all-time top talent because this era sucks then maybe you should stop bullying them? The way Serena bullies her opponents; without grace.
I think she's an all-time great but the way things are going people there's going to be a consensus that she's the best of all time when I don't think that's accurate.

I have similar thoughts about Graf, because a big part of her argument is the 22 titles, but in the early 90's Seles was taking over and looked like the dominant player of the decade, winning 8 of the previous 12 majors while Graf was winning 1 a year. Anyways, Seles got stabbed, Graf won 10 of the next 15 and Graf became 'the best player of all time'. Serena is like Graf if Seles never even existed. In the mid 2000's she was losing out to Henin a lot, then she had a baby, fought with her husband a lot and retired. Now we're in the age where Wozniacki was the world #1 for 2 years in a row, where the 2nd best player is an older Sharapova with a permanently busted shoulder, Francesca Sciavone won a major and we're talking outselves into Bouchard, Halep and Safarova because who the hell else is there. It'd be insane to just shrug that off. Even if we pretend that Serena isn't roided to the gills it's still a little embarassing that she's more dominant than ever at age 34 in a sport where you used to peak at 21.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I am super into this women's doubles final

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is a 33 year old Serena winning titles and being number 1 more or less embarrassing than a 33 year old Federer winning titles and being number 2

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is a 33 year old Serena winning titles and being number 1 more or less embarrassing than a 33 year old Federer winning titles and being number 2

But there are other good male tennis players so it's okay somehow

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: nm

Not worth getting into.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 11, 2015

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
McEnroe was absolutely an rear end in a top hat but I don't recall him being on camera saying "I'll loving kill you" to a an ump/lines person like Serena was after a questionable call.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Correct. And he's still one of the most popular dudes from his generation. Somehow being an rear end in a top hat didn't seem to turn people against him.

Serena is widely regarded as a great role model and sportswoman in a way McEnroe never was. McEnroe became much more likeable after he stopped playing, but his dumb histrionics got on a lot of peoples' nerves during his career.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Mastigophoran posted:

I am super into this women's doubles final

Yeah it's been great. Great comeback from Mirza/Hingis.

Doubles still weirds me out since I don't watch it often, though. It's such a completely different beast.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

Correct. And he's still one of the most popular dudes from his generation. Somehow being an rear end in a top hat didn't seem to turn people against him.
Serena is still really popular by any conceivable measure. Let's not pretend that she isn't one of the most popular women from this generation. Plus if there were message boards in the 70's I bet you'd see a lot of people who hated McEnroe.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Federer is absolutely not having the best year of his career. He looks like an older version of the guy who was formerly an all time great.

Ross Angeles posted:

But there are other good male tennis players so it's okay somehow
Well that is kind of important. If his main competition were like, Ferrer, then I think the attitude towards him/the men's game would be a lot different.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tacier posted:

Serena is widely regarded as a great role model and sportswoman in a way McEnroe never was. McEnroe became much more likeable after he stopped playing, but his dumb histrionics got on a lot of peoples' nerves during his career.
The only people I know who like Serena are either black mainstream sports writers (who don't know much about tennis) or people who have a vested interest in American women's tennis.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

The only people I know who like Serena are either black mainstream sports writers (who don't know much about tennis) or people who have a vested interest in American women's tennis.
J.K. Rowling just tweeted "#serenaslam! I love her. What an athlete, what a role model, what a woman!”

She's hugely popular across a wide demographic and you don't have to look hard to find publications proclaimng her the greatest American athlete of our time.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah it's been great. Great comeback from Mirza/Hingis.

Doubles still weirds me out since I don't watch it often, though. It's such a completely different beast.

That was the final I've been waiting for all day. A good doubles match is the really up there with the best tennis you can get, imo; much like any tennis match they can sometimes go out with a putter rather than a bang, so, it's easy to see a few doubles matches and end up feeling a bit whatever about them, but think about how many dull singles matches you've seen.

Speaking of doubles, I tuned in to some of this morning's senior invitational doubles (staring among others, Mansour Bahrami) with a friend and it didn't seem like something she had ever seen before and didn't really grasp the idea of the rules sort of being surplus to requirement. Noting that, from 11:30 am tomorrow, Ivanisevic & Ljubicic will be in action clowning around in the men's invitational doubles on court 3 if you fancy a laugh before the main event. Also wheel chair doubles if you want something more serious and also awesome.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Tacier posted:

She's hugely popular across a wide demographic and you don't have to look hard to find publications proclaimng her the greatest American athlete of our time.

lebron james would murder her with a "slam dunk"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I honestly would love to see Alternate Universe Lebron Who Went Into Tennis murder most of the ATP tour, actually

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly would love to see Alternate Universe Lebron Who Went Into Tennis murder most of the ATP tour, actually

His serves would average 150 and he would probably smack a forehand so hard it knocks the racquet out of the hand of whatever fool tried to serve and volley him. It'd be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Federer is absolutely not having the best year of his career. He looks like an older version of the guy who was formerly an all time great.

Well that is kind of important. If his main competition were like, Ferrer, then I think the attitude towards him/the men's game would be a lot different.

maybe the top players on the women's tour should do more drugs

• Locked thread