Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Texibus posted:

Any news on this?

They're doing two closed betas before the steam "beta" release. First is planned for January. Mainly fixing bugs, populating the map, shoring up systems that don't work properly. No more new features. They've built a couple more towns on the distant areas of the map for CB1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
So is this a mmo or can you host your own server and just dick around like a UO private shard? I have no idea what this ended up as.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Givin posted:

So is this a mmo or can you host your own server and just dick around like a UO private shard? I have no idea what this ended up as.

seems like both- I'm really unclear about whether private shards will have the full map or what, though

Remit
Nov 9, 2007
Its both. The creator will host servers with a game roughly based on UO. You can also host your own private for custom content/rulesets/features/etc. All "live" assets will be available to private server hosts.

Current state - There isnt a live server by the creator. There are some private servers up, and one or two of them are roughly "vanilla". A few more closed betas are scheduled for the next ~4months, and then the plan is to go to Steam early release. Realistically, I would imagine this will actually happen in Q3.

I have had a ton of fun in this game for the alpha tests, but I like to just grind skills ala UO and make hats, so ymmv. The combat is clunky atm, and will hopefully get some love. It will be similar to UO, with last target, precasting, etc.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I guess the first closed beta for this starts Monday

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Anyone playing the closed beta? Is it worth playing yet?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dinurth posted:

Anyone playing the closed beta? Is it worth playing yet?

Just saw this on Reddit and it really rubbed me the wrong way.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7tz2zi/xpost_rmmorpg_legends_of_arias_treatment_of/

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Finn is a lovely poster as well as a lovely Star Wars character. That CS Rep is a hoss.

Also gently caress entitled whales.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I paid for the $40 Noble pack way back when and never logged into the Alpha. Now that pack only costs $30. IT IS A SLAP IN THE FACE

I do think it's a little lovely but not too bad. Without the original backers, the game wouldn't have been developed at all. I only lost $10 of value. If it we're more, maybe I'd care.

Truth is, I probably won't log into the game for more than a week but I backed it because I loved UO so much.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Played some last night and did some mining... enjoyed it.

I know that mining is probably the most simplistic and least interesting part of any game, but back in my UO days it was a good way for me to relax... got the same dumb vibes.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Texibus posted:

Played some last night and did some mining... enjoyed it.

I know that mining is probably the most simplistic and least interesting part of any game, but back in my UO days it was a good way for me to relax... got the same dumb vibes.

Same here, I was playing a bit and got a house and doing some mining but not interested in grinding up stuff until there’s at least a long no wipe period.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Minoc was my home town in UO, so mining is right up my alley. Anyone else play on LS?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

soy posted:

Same here, I was playing a bit and got a house and doing some mining but not interested in grinding up stuff until there’s at least a long no wipe period.

I'll jump into this when it hits Steam. I can't be bothered to set up Paypal right now just to buy it from them directly. Very lazy. I guess I can use the whole "pay with debit/cc" option but eh, no rush. Rather just use Steam.

Mining rocks in a UO flavored world that doesn't rubber band every screen shift sounds neat. At least when it works right I guess. Streams made the game look fun enough to dick around in and I'm sure there will be chill server communities pop up eventually.

Are the skill ups fast for like smithing and stuff? I'd expect the main tradeskills to be somewhat slower compared to the gathering counterparts and expect them to change at a moments notice. Or, I wonder if that kind of stuff can be controlled by the server ops like other games where they can set their own gain parameters.

Givin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 1, 2018

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Givin posted:

I'll jump into this when it hits Steam. I can't be bothered to set up Paypal right now just to buy it from them directly. Very lazy. I guess I can use the whole "pay with debit/cc" option but eh, no rush. Rather just use Steam.

Mining rocks in a UO flavored world that doesn't rubber band every screen shift sounds neat. At least when it works right I guess. Streams made the game look fun enough to dick around in and I'm sure there will be chill server communities pop up eventually.

Are the skill ups fast for like smithing and stuff? I'd expect the main tradeskills to be somewhat slower compared to the gathering counterparts and expect them to change at a moments notice. Or, I wonder if that kind of stuff can be controlled by the server ops like other games where they can set their own gain parameters.

Played around with this last night and some of today.

Skill gains are rather slow.
Combat is sorta clunky.
People are still mad about the founders pack not getting as many rewards or whatever that poo poo is all about i donno...
They were having server issues where everyone was being dropped from the game every 15 mins or so, then a CS employee logged on
and reverted the WHOLE shard back over 24 hours. People who started characters within that timeframe lost everything, they lost their characters, their houses, everything.

It's still got a long road to go..but its beta so :lol:

Edit: There's quite a few game objects and mechanics they dont explain at all on the wiki or the forums, best bet is to goto their discord and ask questions there.

Edit2: the world map doesnt have a player arrow or anything. The dev's think wandering around for hours not knowing where the gently caress your at is both UO like and hilarious. It's not.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2018

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Haha. I'll just wait for the private shard stuff then.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Givin posted:

Haha. I'll just wait for the private shard stuff then.

Believe it or not the private shards that are up now are pretty well put together.
Just not as populated as the main CS shard.

There was one called Legends of UO that pretty much tried to mimick old UO and did it pretty well.
But sadly the dev's on Legends of UO took the server down for a week to work on the mods they installed cause alot of them werent working properly.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
If you're tagged as an initiate then you can click the question mark on the minmap that helps you get around pretty well

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Texibus posted:

If you're tagged as an initiate then you can click the question mark on the minmap that helps you get around pretty well

Forgot all about that. Its that blue orb thingy that follows you around or something.

Also if you get rid of it for good by telling it you dont need it anymore, your newbie protection goes away and you drop everything in your
backpack when you die.

I think they still have it set up that way.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I do some scripting on Teiravon, they and LUO are the main ones that seem to have their poo poo together.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I made a a miner and started in Helm. I dont really know what to do but I mined some iron ore. Are there quests anywhere? I saw some Welcome to Celador quest on the wiki but nobody was around where I spawned to give it to me. And my glowing ball friend doesn't have any info for me it seems. There doesnt seem to be any guidance at all, which is kinda like UO but then again its 2018 and I want a little bit of direction here, and its not like map is any help.

I DID kill a chicken though

Texibus
May 18, 2008
click on the question mark on the minimap once you summon the wisp

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Quests were removed with this test for some reason.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Anyone else trying blacksmithing? Wondering about how to make cash, need about 2.5 more silver to get a horse and come up with some real meager ways of earning that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Texibus posted:

Anyone else trying blacksmithing? Wondering about how to make cash, need about 2.5 more silver to get a horse and come up with some real meager ways of earning that.

Do the newbie dungeon. you can make some ok cash there..either that or spend 2 hours trying to tame a horse.
But ya gotta a crook first then weild it and the ability to tame will be on your hotbar.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Realized the vendor is an rear end in a top hat and buys iron ore for 2 copper a piece, so it is like two trips onto the mine for 5 silver

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Anyone have a house yet?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The few streams of this game isn't doing it any favors. One dude crying about his body being looted during a GM event where there were hundreds of corpses laying around. Another 40 year old grown rear end man arguing with another in Discord about how he used to run with Death Jesters of Catskills and how hosed at release the 2nd guy is. Most everyone else just has terrible mics and you can't understand them.

NDA back in effect the 12th so no more streams till 2nd beta phase I guess. I think they should have hit up the big streamers of like ARK and GTAV and had them sponsor steam it.

Custom rulesets and communities will make or break this game for sure. My wife is interested in it now so I'm hoping for a pretty decent RP PVE server out there somewhere.

Givin fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 4, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's hilarious to me how many oldskool UO players identify with their guild so hard they name drop that poo poo without hesitation, expecting everyone to know what that means and treat you with respect.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I played the beta for a few days, on the official shard, the crime and punishment system is very flawed and open for griefing. For example as a new character you get <initiate> status. This means if you die your items stay with you. Well you can go and loot off corpses in protected areas and while the guards to indeed kill you, you lose nothing and keep what you have stolen as well. My other major issue is that there is not mechanisms to defend yourself as far as I can tell if someone transgresses against you. The guards will lay you out either way if you try to do something in retaliation.

I am now trying out the Legends of Ultima community shard to see if they have a better implementation.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How was the Ultima Community?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is that whole scripting/custom rules thing still under wraps? Or do we know what it can do?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yes and yes (I am an approved modder for one of the servers).

You cannot do the following:
- Add custom keybinds (though you can piggyback on any existing keybind, including 40 hotbar binds)
- Add anything to the client except static maps, static mesh resources, structure types, and I think one other thing I can't remember right now that's still just different types of scenery or pickupable items.
- This includes extreme limitations on what you can do with the UI. There is a UI-building library but it's extremely basic and you can't add new assets. That said there's a few good button/window frame assets + a lot of good "action icons" + a tinting system, so as long as you're not trying to do anything too crazy you can get away with a lot.

The server-side stuff is fairly robust but they have a kind of modding system that's screwed up by the pretty anemic hooking system. In practice every server has one mega-mod because there's basically no good way for multiple mods to respond to the same event like there is in, say, minecraft forge. Our server has even decided that it's easier to just modify the citadel scripts directly because you can just git merge citadel's updates in without having to do any guesswork to know which of your modded files have been hosed up.

Altogether if you want to make what's basically an ultima online freeshard, the scripting system is absolutely sufficient. They are planning to allow animated client assets like equipment & mobs, and I think particle systems but I'd be shocked if that stuff came before steam (which means it might never happen if the steam release goes how it looks like it's going to go).

As of right now the biggest issue with the scripting is also the biggest issue with the game which is that citadel's design is totally hosed up and directionless. They rip out stuff and half-replace it and then finish it and rip it out again literally every week. They don't have a modding "API", they just take advantage of Lua's language features & load stuff in an order such that you can override their files or parts of their files, so the result of them making massive changes is they break all your poo poo. And they're constantly introducing bugs. The moment they decide they're not going to use something anymore it stops working, and this includes things like UI frame assets that you wouldn't expect to instantly bust apart the moment they stop paying attention to it, but also a questing system that they built, community servers, made a ton of content on, and then citadel decided they weren't going to use themselves. There's the larger problem that this reveals that they don't really have a strong plan for the game itself either.

After release it'll probably be fine but for a project that started out leaning heavily on community servers, it became really obvious when they switched to "legends of aria" this isn't something they're going to spend a lot of time thinking about.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Texibus posted:

How was the Ultima Community?

So far the community seems pretty active. The staff has been extremely active in game and in discord.They have been practically working around the clock fixing items and adding new features. In my opinion, this operation is way better run compared to the main shard. I have not tried any other community shards other than that one so I can't comment if Legends of Ultima is better than any others on the block.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

seconding the ultima community being way better than the base game

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So did this die in a fire or something? Sure can't open their website.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Opening fine for me : https://www.legendsofaria.com

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They came out with a new build for pax that has client performance improvements, a new huing system, and some graphical upgrades, and it's a little more intuitive (in theory) to interact with things because they try to make it so double click is usually the right thing to do, versus right clicking on everything ultima style.

In traditional citadel style, the build is mega buggy but it also has some decent server side improvements. The result is that the community's not on the new version yet, everyone stopped playing main after pax. Also whatever changes they made to the clusters is causing the citadel-hosted community clusters to shut down servers if any region hangs for more than a second, and the citadel-programmed resource controller does that on its own if the server's overtaxed, so the only community server that's staying live is Teiravon, who optimized it a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Sounds like they improved lua garbage collector & interop performance which is going to make a big difference (and stop community servers being forced offline) if this thing is ever stable enough for anyone to use.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

So it does, my mistake, it just loads so slowly I thought it was down.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Might give it a try if they get things stable. Nostalgic for some grey screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's not terrible but it's not great. The community has some good eggs in it and it's pretty good for custom stuff. The biggest problem with it is that citadel refuses to use the community to their advantage so they keep reinventing stuff the community servers have done but worse bc they have to split time between writing the foundation and building content.