Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Wicker Man posted:

There was a big drama bomb split going on with the creators of Firearms going to make different versions of FA2. I knew couple of the guys involved since most of the FA community knew each other. I think the main designer guy went his own way or something, and everyone else was basically trying to carry on his work without him.

i remember this. It was a terrible team split between Firearms: Source, Firearms 2, and World at War. Some supposed web and server hacking involved. Only FA:S every got released I think? lol

I'm really really pissed there hasn't been even a basic Science & Industry imitation. Such a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
who's making the S&I goon revival server

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
The drama in and between mod crews was hilarious and one of the best parts about the whole thing. The hate for CS kiddies was what united all mod groups, though - it's good to have a common enemy. I also remeber lots of slapfights between AHL and The Opera.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Not half life but command and conquer renegade was p dope and always felt like the precursor for that "epic" massive battle gameplay we have today in battlefields and whatnot even if they came out the same time.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

SaltLick posted:

Not half life but command and conquer renegade was p dope and always felt like the precursor for that "epic" massive battle gameplay we have today in battlefields and whatnot.

It was fun as hell, but most people were either being a sniper or were doing a one man suicide rush to the enemy base, never managing to get past the base defenses. But when you kill one of the enemy team snipers with just your pistol...

BOINK

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016

Luebbi posted:

The drama in and between mod crews was hilarious and one of the best parts about the whole thing. The hate for CS kiddies was what united all mod groups, though - it's good to have a common enemy. I also remeber lots of slapfights between AHL and The Opera.

I wonder if any of the old-school Natural Selection players who posted in this thread have some recollection of the drama that happened in voogru's server/community, I'm struggling to remember precise details but I believe it involved a thirty-something investment banker being ousted by the community and seeking vengeance in the form of some particularly childish trolling

Captain Video fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 17, 2016

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Luebbi posted:

didn't you used to make maps or something?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Captain Video posted:

I wonder if any of the old-school Natural Selection players who posted in this thread have some recollection of the drama that happened in voogru's server/community, I'm struggling to remember precise details but I believe it involved a thirty-something investment banker being ousted by the community and seeking vengeance in the form of some particularly childish trolling

I don't know exactly. I used to play a bit on voogrus but one stupid dramabomb that I remember is voogru became a coder or helped code at some point during 3.0 and he personally fixed "mp_blockscripts" setting so it actually worked and that got everyone in the competitive scene pretty mad at him, despite it being an optional server setting. (I was pro scripts since they really didn't do much but w/e, if server admins want to then fine). Maybe something further happened about it but I think he eventually moved onto TF2 cause I played his TF2 server for a bit at launch.

Now that I think about it yeah his server/himself was generally around the epicenter of some stupid pointless drama but I don't remember all the specifics

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 18, 2016

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007
Thats why we would stack marines since I didn't feel like breaking my mousewheel and just trash aliens constantly until they banned us for only going F1.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Didn't you play for reflect? sounds familiar. But yeah i'd do the same because marines were the most fun and it was always a personal challenge to see how many I could take out just running into their hive at the start; except I also honestly just sucked at every alien besides lerk anyways. Used to be a pretty decent fade but I "upgraded" to an LCD and at the time LCDs loving sucked so yeah I couldn't really fade after that.

to be fair, marines were prolly a bit more overpowered too because everyone ran 24-32 player servers and marines got more exponentially powerful with player count (and 24-26 players was my favorite because it gave enough buffer when people start to quit that it didn't totally become an avalanche landslide into server depletion)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Does Agamemnon from NS (g4b2s? BAD? Armory? idk) post here? He was the coolest dude in the whole of NS. he was the JP guy who frred me from the onos in the alien hive during the most epic moment of my LONG gaming career.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pound_Coin posted:

Sven co-op owned

Tor eat now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

Does Agamemnon from NS (g4b2s? BAD? Armory? idk) post here? He was the coolest dude in the whole of NS. he was the JP guy who frred me from the onos in the alien hive during the most epic moment of my LONG gaming career.

he rings a bell but i doubt he does. what was your name when you played? i used to play on g4b2s and bad and other random servers at some point.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Xaris posted:

he rings a bell but i doubt he does. what was your name when you played? i used to play on g4b2s and bad and other random servers at some point.

no_meds=f4 as per my custom title. its an NS joke b/c.. yea

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
I wasnt worth a drat nor a big name in NS. my friend was tho but i dont know his name. he has rcon on BAD for a while I think

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i had slightly more notoriety in PVK as [C-Y&E-Y-B] ThuNDaR lol ps I have Fail Cum Aids and need to die. Also I flame dout of the forums when some archer cocksucker flamed me too much.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Rmeber action halflife? Oh man it was hanky half life 1 engine but it was the closest we had to Max Payne and matrix multiplayer

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Speaking of epic experiences, classic zombie panic had one for me :

No idea what it was called, but it's the map that involves the humans needing to reach the bottom of the subway or train station to escape. I was on humans. About 8-10 people per side, and us humans were doing pretty well, all heavily armed and only half of us died. We reach the final area at the bottom but we can't leave till the train starts. Queue entire zombie team swarming in all at once, with a big chaotic shoot out happens with lots frantic dancing around.

While everyone is busy shooting and getting stomped by the zombies, I hear the train bells and poo poo going, and I see the train taking off! I try to get on but I'm way too slow, and I had 3 zombies chasing me. So I hit the zombie panic button that makes you drop everything but a single clip for your pistol. It gave me just barely enough speed to jump and reach the train.

Another guy was already on, so I'm looking back to see the entire zombie team chasing the train. While watching, I hear the sound of the other guy fighting. A zombie managed to get on from the other side and rush him. As I spin around with my pistol I see him go down. Without even aiming I just sprayed each of those precious shots into the zombies back, with the last one killing him. As he dies, I'm the last one standing on the leaving train with no ammo as the screen goes dark, then says: Humans won.

It was like some dramatic poo poo out of a movie.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

SaltLick posted:

Not half life but command and conquer renegade was p dope and always felt like the precursor for that "epic" massive battle gameplay we have today in battlefields and whatnot even if they came out the same time.
Ah yes, C&C Renegade was a very "dope" loading screen.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Bacon Hat posted:

i want to leave a hot, wet pile of something here for the Dystopia fans...

i am responsible for the "tesla rifle" that was added to the game after a weapon design contest. i wrote that OP and forced it on the community.

and when it was time to vote, i got all my hl friends and all my adderal together and committed as much e-voting fraud as was necessary to secure my one true goal

You ruined my Basalisk kill streaks you sonuvabitch (I continue to miss my carefree days of blasting my way through the enemy's line and decapitating their decker from behind with a pneumatic fist)

Also Nomble is a nice guy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

playing through HL right now in software at 1280x960 like it was 1999

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

numberoneposter posted:

playing through HL right now in software at 1280x960 like it was 1999

I'd recommend Black Mesa, but it's not nearly as easy to pistol snipe every one like you could in the classic. Plus the Marines use that HL2 humanoid fighting design where they float side to side on rollerskates shooting on full auto.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Black Mesa is really good. Surprisingly good for a "remake."

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Even in real life, I still kinda feel like I could survive a fall of any height if I just land in an inch of water.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

It's been a long time since I've played any of the Half Quake mods but I'm surprised they only got a couple mentions in this thread. You can even download all three in a single installer now.

I'm also surprised this stupid NS1 video hasn't been posted considering all of the NS1 chat going on. There's a line at the end that highlights the animosity for voogru and his dumb server at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AC1C0X0Nk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

Black Mesa is really good. Surprisingly good for a "remake."

It took forever to make. I remember seeing screens for it in an issue of PC Zone (a great source of HL mods in the days of mags with discs) back in 2005.

It definitely helps that it sticks pretty rigidly to the originals maps cos they were always amazing.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

SaltLick posted:

Starseige Tribes I think is the first of this genre - it came out in 98, and had vehicles, huge maps, maximum 64 players, never really got into it myself though.

Desert Combat mod for BF1942 was first time I really got into the "epic battle" genre and was a lot of fun, and a lot better than the game it was based off in my opinion. I also remember playing BF3 years later and feeling that the helicopter controls in DC were better.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Fuzz1111 posted:

Starseige Tribes
:ssh:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Fuzz1111 posted:

Desert Combat mod for BF1942 was first time I really got into the "epic battle" genre and was a lot of fun, and a lot better than the game it was based off in my opinion. I also remember playing BF3 years later and feeling that the helicopter controls in DC were better.

Desert Combat was my poo poo for years, every other patch the blackhawk jumped between being a murder machine and a death trap.

someone for the love of gently caress remake DC_Basrahs_edge & lostvillage. and oilrigs

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Smythe posted:

Pro skirmish pirate owning a HK by repeatedly darting in and getting 1-2 scimitar cuts and diving out to get a sick pop shot with the pistol, over and over, like something out of Dark Souls. Nice feels. Man at Arms on the pirate respawn boat with the flail killing whoever spawns over and over until the entire pirate team quits - total domination.

what was your nick?? we probably fought a couple times. I was NorphTehDwarf and a complete fuckin' idiot. Thundar? Holy poo poo, I remember playing against you. Vaguely. Were you one of the axevik guys?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 18, 2016

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pound_Coin posted:

Desert Combat was my poo poo for years, every other patch the blackhawk jumped between being a murder machine and a death trap.

someone for the love of gently caress remake DC_Basrahs_edge & lostvillage. and oilrigs

Remember when you could walk around the INSIDE of Hind helis while in flight? And the AC130-argh that controllable back door! If people were walking around the inside of the AC130 with the door open they would fly out uncontrollably.

BF1942s janky infantry movement within moving vehicles was so funny. Forgotten Hope had large German transport planes, and there was one map where EVERYONE had to take a ride in one of two planes to get to the main battlefield.

If the pilot was slightly devious, it could end in near.....disaster.

I fired up BF1942 not long ago and played the vanilla game, there was something about the animations/general tone of that game that made it super goofy. The flying canned ragdoll for blown up soldiers, silly death grunts (Eeeestis mal!). BF takes itself too serious now, give us back wing walking and beaching ships.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 18, 2016

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

simosimo posted:

Remember when you could walk around the INSIDE of hinds while in combat? BF1942s janky infantry movement within moving vehicles was so funy. Forgotten hope had large german transport planes, and there was one map where EVERYONE had to take a ride in one of two planes to get to the main battlefield.

If the pilot was slightly devious, it could end in near.....disaster....

Getting the entire team onto the wings of a JU88(or B17 on El AL)

also the Heli code in DC was literally the plane code flipped vertically

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pound_Coin posted:

Getting the entire team onto the wings of a JU88(or B17 on El AL)

also the Heli code in DC was literally the plane code flipped vertically

Or clipping peoples heads with planes. Or taking a really important vehicle and cramming it into the AA guns with semi-circular sandbag walls and the vehicle would physics flip the gently caress out and send you flying. So long important long range artillery!

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

was it bocage that had the windmill? you could launche the US halftrack from spawn to spawn by backing it up on the AA guns

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pound_Coin posted:

was it bocage that had the windmill? you could launche the US halftrack from spawn to spawn by backing it up on the AA guns

Yeah Bocage had the windmill, three bottleneck cobblestone bridges and symmetrical bases. I'm hopeful BF1 will give us some meat and potato style maps again (both main bases and a main battle arena)

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007

Xaris posted:

Didn't you play for reflect? sounds familiar.

Yeah. It was easy to destroy even high player cap servers as aliens too. Think my fastest was like a 3 minute Onos. People were pretty bad at the game.

Smythe posted:

I wasnt worth a drat nor a big name in NS. my friend was tho but i dont know his name. he has rcon on BAD for a while I think

I remember one of the <BAD> players quitting and giving SplinterSteve RCON. Was a fun day.

DuoGodOfDeath fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 18, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

god I miss Empires

what a broken, fun game. I remember one server had an admin who would get pissy and force a win for the losing team when he felt like it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Famethrowa posted:

god I miss Empires

what a broken, fun game. I remember one server had an admin who would get pissy and force a win for the losing team when he felt like it.

I was the one who discovered the simple genius of playing a soldier with extra frag grenades. You know that infantry map of narrow streets, no vehicles? Where you gotta take flags, and people would form walls of turrets and hide behind them so that the last hour is a never ending stalemate? One day I got sick of being unable to go around the corner without dying in .3 seconds. I had noticed how bouncy the frag grenades are, so I started chucking them off the wall so that they go around it. With the extra grenades and an ammo box nearby I could rain hell forever. I was the only one who did this.

After 3 grenades or so, the kill counter lit up with a constant stream of WICKER GRENADED TURRET/rear end in a top hat#4. Top fragger in less than 2 minutes. The stalemate ended shortly after :keke:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

I was the one who discovered the simple genius of playing a soldier with extra frag grenades. You know that infantry map of narrow streets, no vehicles? Where you gotta take flags, and people would form walls of turrets and hide behind them so that the last hour is a never ending stalemate? One day I got sick of being unable to go around the corner without dying in .3 seconds. I had noticed how bouncy the frag grenades are, so I started chucking them off the wall so that they go around it. With the extra grenades and an ammo box nearby I could rain hell forever. I was the only one who did this.

After 3 grenades or so, the kill counter lit up with a constant stream of WICKER GRENADED TURRET/rear end in a top hat#4. Top fragger in less than 2 minutes. The stalemate ended shortly after :keke:

it was hilarious when one dude with the revive kit would run around reviving the whole goddamn team while screaming at people for respawning and using up tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Famethrowa posted:

it was hilarious when one dude with the revive kit would run around reviving the whole goddamn team while screaming at people for respawning and using up tickets.

Lol I don't remember his name but somewhere I have saved sound files of one of the most notoriously controlling rage freaks from that game that someone uploaded. You might even recognize him thanks to the joys of mod communities. Some commanders were such pissy, snarky little shits.

Might upload that poo poo later.

• Locked thread