Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
which exhibit is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Professional gardener sprouting up to say please plant a native, flowering plant in your garden and help out the native pollinators in the area! Early spring bloomers are best, as thats usually when there is a dearth in blooms and hungry bugs about. Keep green thumbin it up your gardens look great

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChrisHansen posted:

which exhibit is he?

Grizzled bear

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Planted a strip of that dymondia to see how it works. My dog dug it up. Not just dug it up, but dug a 2ft deep hole. She has never dug before. I don't know why she would need to go that deep because these dymondia plugs are only 3" deep.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FogHelmut posted:

Planted a strip of that dymondia to see how it works. My dog dug it up. Not just dug it up, but dug a 2ft deep hole. She has never dug before. I don't know why she would need to go that deep because these dymondia plugs are only 3" deep.

Loldoge

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Zone 8b.

I've always wanted to try a little gardening. I have little to no experience, but this thread inspired me to do some planting. Thanks pyschokitty!

I planted some sunflowers about a week ago (I read it was hard to screw up with those) and they've started to sprout.

I also planted some delphinium seedlings but I'm keeping those indoors for now.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Free Cheese posted:

Professional gardener sprouting up to say please plant a native, flowering plant in your garden and help out the native pollinators in the area! Early spring bloomers are best, as thats usually when there is a dearth in blooms and hungry bugs about. Keep green thumbin it up your gardens look great

I've been looking to redo my front garden in entirely native species but first I have to rip out all the uggo shrubbery that's currently there and that's work :( For now I have lavender and other herby flowers and plans to have a beehive next year plus more lavender and herbs. But yeah I totally agree.

Excellent sproutlings! Nice job!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

twofive1 posted:

Zone 8b.

I've always wanted to try a little gardening. I have little to no experience, but this thread inspired me to do some planting. Thanks pyschokitty!

I planted some sunflowers about a week ago (I read it was hard to screw up with those) and they've started to sprout.

I also planted some delphinium seedlings but I'm keeping those indoors for now.

CALLING ALL SQUIRRELS, I REPEAT, CALLING ALL SQUIRRELS. EXECUTE PLAN 'TOTAL DESTRUCTION'

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Mozi posted:

CALLING ALL SQUIRRELS, I REPEAT, CALLING ALL SQUIRRELS. EXECUTE PLAN 'TOTAL DESTRUCTION'

GODDAMMIT SHUT UP MOZI

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It hasn't rained since probably April.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FogHelmut posted:

It hasn't rained since probably April.

it stormed last night and was raining this morning.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm the HOA throwing a hiss fit and demanding you remove your unsightly garden.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I just got access to like three acres what do I plant?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Rationale posted:

I just got access to like three acres what do I plant?

not corn

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

tell us where you are first!

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Havent had a bad rabbit before considering all the foxes and coyotes around here. Something small snuck in 2 nights ago and ate 2 new butternut squash plants and about 8 feet of new green bean plants.

So yesterday I dusted the hell out of my beans, squash and cucumber plants. Whatever it was ate one zucchini plant with loads of Sevin dust on it last night. I assume its dead now because its a pretty nasty neurotoxin? Eat poo poo rabbits.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
The place is in northeast Ohio i think its zone 5b?

The ground is flat and low and marshy but it'd been mowed regularly for like twenty years so it's not overgrown too too bad.

I think I'll do raised beds by plowing down one side and then up the other to sort of hump the dirt up in rows. I figure four foot rows should be about right? that way I can have two and a half feet of planting surface and a foot and a half of lane or whatever it's called.

Once the sod's cut and the dirt's thoroughly hosed around with i'm going to sheet mulch the heck out of the beds with the hopes i can keep the weeds at bay. I'll drop junk lumber or wood chips or rocks or something in the walkways so i don't need hip waders to be out there. Also I'll scrounge a bunch of poop from my three farmer brothers that live in the area to make poop lasagna for the worms to eat and maybe kind of sort of compost in place.

So i'll work ground and build beds until i get sick of it and then i'll plant whatever can be sown in the dirt at that time? like fancy dancy heirloom stuff from the shumway catalog plus sweet potatoes because i think they're super healthy and good and i want everyone i know to have all the sweet potatoes they can handle.

I can't start yet because I live in Atlanta til next May.

OH poo poo EDIT THAT TO SAY:

I've done a little messing around on that spot before and so far it ain't so bad but a few things that I'm worried about.

1.) a bunch of big stupid rear end in a top hat deer have eaten every berry bush I put in the ground. I'm sure I can shoot them in the heart with a crossbow, though. This is more to brag about future venison.

2.) I put in some hugelculture swales years ago and it looks like motherfucking USED MOTOR OIL has seeped up out of the dirt around them. I assume this is localized to that spot as it's near a burn pile but what are the odds of veggies getting poisonous that way?

3.) How much time will it take me to take care of a few acres of garden beds? Can I neglect them somewhat and still get a crop or will weeds punch me in the spleen? Should I start small or just shoot seeds out of a potato gun and see what comes up?

Second edit because i am a stupid man:

I figure a four foot bed by about a hundred feet long is plenty of room for some laying hens? Chickens are out of my wheelhouse but they make the best poop so why not have some in the garden? What would I have to do to get some ethical eggs? Will eating seconds and whatnot make the eggs any better?

Guide me, goons.

Rationale fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 20, 2016

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Every time I think how nice it would be to have a flower garden but then I remind myself that I am not a very attentive gardener and would probably end up neglecting and killing them so I never do it

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Three rows of first year hop plants, tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, lettuce, Romanesco as a late edition, sweet potato, and edamame. Herb gardens kind of sucked this year. The pollinators seem to love the tomatillos.

Unknowable Hole fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 20, 2016

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

captainoblivious posted:

Three rows of first year hop plants, tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, lettuce, Romanesco as a late edition, sweet potato, and edamame. Herb gardens kind of sucked this year. The pollinators seem to love the tomatillos.

What kind of rear end in a top hat has such a tidy garden? Where are the strewn 5 gallon barrels and broken rakes?

Go back to gardening school.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

captainoblivious posted:

What's your zone? Would like to try growing hops.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

literally a hog posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat has such a tidy garden? Where are the strewn 5 gallon barrels and broken rakes?

Dude.....

HOA.

Shizmo
Feb 2, 2010

JUICED TO THE GILLS
If by gardening op you mean trimming your bush then yes, gardening is awesome and hot

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
if by gardening op you mean spilling my seed on the ground then yes, gardening is awesome and hot

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I heard a bobcat last night

I thought someone was getting murdered at first

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Watering every morning and evening. Become established so you can embrace the drought.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Be careful watering in evenings, some plants don't like wet leaves overnight

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hi, gently caress squirrels. eat the tomato or don't, don't take one bite of all of them, you little loving shits.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I spray deet on my tomaters every night and I have never had issues with animals eating them

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i sprayed pepper spray on the bottom of my hummingbird feeders because the squirrels were jumping on them to spill the nectar and lick it off the bottom

i even have a dedicated squirrel feeder, for christsakes (as an attempt to distract from birdfeeders/plants.) i don't mean to hurt them but man if you give any indication that you do not like what they are up to they know that there's something really really good there

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Walrus posted:

hi, gently caress squirrels. eat the tomato or don't, don't take one bite of all of them, you little loving shits.

OMG THIS SO MUCH

I find half-eaten green tomatoes strewn all over the yard. MOTHERFUCKERS.

Shizmo posted:

If by gardening op you mean trimming your bush then yes, gardening is awesome and hot

Mozi posted:

if by gardening op you mean spilling my seed on the ground then yes, gardening is awesome and hot

yes these both count. whalecum to gardening. :haw:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

literally a hog posted:

and yes, your tidy-rear end garden is unacceptable, captainoblivious. please at least get some out of control mint or something in there.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Pumpkin flowers only open for one day, in the morning?

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

and yes, your tidy-rear end garden is unacceptable, captainoblivious. please at least get some out of control mint or something in there.

Hahaha oh poo poo I'm sorry. I realized my stepping stones were crooked after taking this picture so I fixed them. If its any consolation I planted my tomatoes and tomatillos too close together and I haven't weeded in between the tomatoes for a couple weeks because, I don't feel like sitting between them. The sweet potato leaves are growing all up in my lettuce, which was initially worrying but they're edible and have been good with the lettuce in salad. I also need to cut my drat grass but its hot as gently caress and Ive already been putting up various beer signs for work outside all day so gently caress it.

On the hops subject, That Twofive1 was asking about I live just south of Baltimore City so I'm in zone 7B almost 7A. In the original picture from Left to right are Willamette, Centennial, and Cascade, The Cascade are definitely doing the best, but even with 30 plants total I may not get much yield this year, but they are a perennial with strong rhizomes that come back stronger and more plentiful every year as long as the roots stay healthy. Go to home-brew stores in early spring and ask around and you might be able to get some rhizomes from them. Another option is online. I recommend http://www.organarchyhops.com they'll mail them to you. Plant as early as possible, I planted a bit to late (first week of may) but I should be alright root wise for the winter. Hops can take the cold well. They need a shitload of water and well draining soil. If you can make your guide wires higher than the 10 feet I made mine that would be good too.

This book is a great resource, https://www.amazon.com/Homegrown-Hops-Illustrated-How-Do/dp/0962119520

Unknowable Hole fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 21, 2016

The_end
May 17, 2014
My garden is inside.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Counterpoint: corn

naem
May 29, 2011

ChrisHansen posted:

I heard a bobcat last night

I thought someone was getting murdered at first

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rationale posted:

2.) I put in some hugelculture swales years ago and it looks like motherfucking USED MOTOR OIL has seeped up out of the dirt around them. I assume this is localized to that spot as it's near a burn pile but what are the odds of veggies getting poisonous that way?

I don't know if this is what you're seeing, but

Iron-rich soils can interact with water and bacteria in a way that looks like motor oil.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5619044

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know if this is what you're seeing, but

Iron-rich soils can interact with water and bacteria in a way that looks like motor oil.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5619044

Interesting, I always just thought the whole world was polluted every time I saw that in the middle of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
how.... ironic

• Locked thread