Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

for my athlon pc i had an asrock motherboard with a sis something chipset and you could change the memory timings from within windows on the fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^^ Wonder if that utility is what ended up becoming ClockGen, or vice versa - a little software tool that would let you mess with CPU/RAM overclock in Windows to test stability, instead of constantly tweaking BIOS > save > test > tweak again > save > test etc...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

^^ Wonder if that utility is what ended up becoming ClockGen, or vice versa - a little software tool that would let you mess with CPU/RAM overclock in Windows to test stability, instead of constantly tweaking BIOS > save > test > tweak again > save > test etc...

It was called cheepomemtweak lol.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

3.8 ghz, but they they expected to reach 10 ghz. if that had happened, everything would have been ok. a 10 GHz P4 actually would have been pretty competitive, even with the horrible pipeline bubbles and poo poo.

unfortunately for intel no one anticipated leakage (and correspondingly, tdp) would go through the roof in smaller feature sizes

with enough liquid nitrogen they hit 7, maybe 8, don't remember :getin:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

this is the perfect computer to install dos on, then upgrade to 3.1, then upgrade to 95, then upgrade to 98, then upgrade to 98 se, then upgrade to me, then upgrade to 2000, then upgrade to xp.

iirc winME is a dead-end that can't be upgraded out of

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

hosed up and massive lols if true

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you can do 98/me to xp, if you want to go to 2000 first then you have to go from 98

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody posted:

not exactly. you can "upgrade" it to do, but the installer just moves all your stuff to a folder then clean installs then applies your settings

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bloody posted:

no, i used winme as the base for my xp upgrade disc

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
loving K7S5A and FCKGW go hand in hand.... :allears:

True baller AMD box would be an Asus nForce2 with an Athlon XP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

with a thermoengine on top, guaranteed to break a corner off the die

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
pretty sure dad bought a win2k upgrade disk for our ME 1ghz pent 3, but yeah, didn't work. ME is missing heaps of stuff that 2000 and XP ended up keeping - mostly MS-DOS compatibility stuff iirc but probably more

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

krooj posted:

loving K7S5A and FCKGW go hand in hand.... :allears:

no. abit nf7-s with either a 2500+ barton or a 2600+ mobile barton. getting kinda far removed from y2k box tho

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

axp1700m clocked to gently caress :rice:

after the 2000 build we can do the "peak counterstrike 1.3 rig"

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

i tried loading 1.5 off an old backup a while ago and despite the won network having shutdown over a decade prior i pinged some servers and played against 2 people :shepface:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yellow borders posted:

i tried loading 1.5 off an old backup a while ago and despite the won network having shutdown over a decade prior i pinged some servers and played against 2 people :shepface:

Lmao holy moly

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

yellow borders posted:

how did you find the server if won was not working? were they cached?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

no. abit nf7-s with either a 2500+ barton or a 2600+ mobile barton. getting kinda far removed from y2k box tho

that and the asus A7N8X were definitely the top 2 boards then. but now abit is dead and asus carries on!

i overspent getting an A7N8X ~*~deluxe~*~. it had firewire, you see, amongst several other other features i never, ever utilized!! i never even loving overclocked the thing, lmao. my idiot highschool self really should have put that money towards an extra 256MB RAM.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

krooj posted:

linux support was always buggy as gently caress

forcedeth lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i remember based on people's posts in SH/SC back then, with the K7S5A you basically had a 50/50 chance of either "just works" or "buggy and unstable as gently caress"

and this was one of the good chipsets / boards

amd was obsessed with getting "partners" to do chipset development, but said partners screwed the loving goose on the thunderbirid. the amd 761 chipset was a desperate, last-ditch attempt at an in-house chipset in order to keep their processors despite the laziness of partner firms

it didn't work very well

amd's hapless fanboys were very, very grateful for a chipset that almost worked, 50% of the time

i was the poor sucker who bought one.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

i overspent getting an A7N8X ~*~deluxe~*~. it had firewire, you see, amongst several other other features i never, ever utilized!! i never even loving overclocked the thing, lmao. my idiot highschool self really should have put that money towards an extra 256MB RAM.

I'm *still* guilty of doing this when I buy motherbords. Of course I need that Thunderbolt port on my Windows PC :rolleyes:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

was the poor sucker who bought one.

I built a lot of PCs with these while working a shop in high school / college. There was a good chance the system would come back in a year with dead caps. It was never clear if the PSU that came in the $30 case was the culprit or just the cheap-poo poo ECS caps. I never had a K7S5A customer spec an Enermax PSU...

I recall the situation getting so bad we started batching RMAs to ECS. Nothing was worse than MSI, though. Worst QC I've ever seen. It's a miracle that company is still around.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
nforce 2

abit was too good for this world.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

remember the nforce firewall? it was garbage lol (mlmp)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

nforce 2

abit was too good for this world.

yeah. my nf7-s was way more stable than my friend's a7n in high school. i still have a cache of like 2-3 working boards at my parents house, just in case, lol

spankmeister posted:

remember the nforce firewall? it was garbage lol (mlmp)

that was on the later nforce3 or 4. the 754/939 boards. good ole nforce2 was a beast. soundstorm :allears:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

dfi lanparty :pcgaming:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the best y2k computer

Kryotech SuperG 1Ghz Athlon

http://www.anandtech.com/show/432

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

krooj posted:

I built a lot of PCs with these while working a shop in high school / college. There was a good chance the system would come back in a year with dead caps. It was never clear if the PSU that came in the $30 case was the culprit or just the cheap-poo poo ECS caps. I never had a K7S5A customer spec an Enermax PSU...

I recall the situation getting so bad we started batching RMAs to ECS. Nothing was worse than MSI, though. Worst QC I've ever seen. It's a miracle that company is still around.

Which is funny, because MSI seems to be pretty well regarded these days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

krooj posted:

I built a lot of PCs with these while working a shop in high school / college. There was a good chance the system would come back in a year with dead caps. It was never clear if the PSU that came in the $30 case was the culprit or just the cheap-poo poo ECS caps.

everything had dead caps in this era

remember the failed industrial espionage thing

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

French Canadian posted:

I recall motocross madness (among others) letting me pick either video card for 3D acceleration. Yes the v2 didn't handle 2D but it was redundant in many 3D games which supported both glide and d3d. And at the very least I didn't notice a difference with either rendering engine.

Unreal engine games were the big ones later on. IIRC for the original the OpenGL renderer was kind of lovely, and the D3D renderer just straight up didn't work.
Diablo 2 also looked better on Glide.

Bloody posted:

with enough liquid nitrogen they hit 7, maybe 8, don't remember :getin:

Yeah, the final revision of the P4 was 65nm/89W TDP, and the d0 stepping dropped to 65W. People clocked those to the moon. Cedar Mill was pretty much what Prescott should have been.

SO DEMANDING posted:

that and the asus A7N8X were definitely the top 2 boards then. but now abit is dead and asus carries on!

lol did yours have the talking POST?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Rawrl posted:

sounds horrifying

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

All this talk of Athlon XPs and nforce2 made me snap and ebay a replacement capacitor kit for my asus A7N8X-E, I somewhat doubt it has survived all those years on the wall but it might be a fun experiment anyway

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

you gotta post a pic of the box

Rawrl posted:

ahahahaha holy poo poo i totally forgot about that thing, probably because i turned it the gently caress off forever after the first couple boots. Power on self test complete! System now booting from operating system!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dfi lanpartys owned and lanparties also owned, rip early 2000s

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Whoa this asus board is way more functional than I expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTn8QjTHAgo

This thread is going to end up setting my house on fire

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

error1 posted:

This thread is going to end up setting my house on fire

god drat it, im going to see my parents over the long weekend; youre gonna make me dig my poo poo out and join the cool kids idiot nerd club

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i have an msi kt266 somewhere and I think it still has a cpu on. need to have a search for it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

you gotta post a pic of the box

ahahahaha holy poo poo i totally forgot about that thing, probably because i turned it the gently caress off forever after the first couple boots. Power on self test complete! System now booting from operating system!!!

hah we had a computer which did this too

I just thought it was how most computers worked

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skim Milk posted:

i had one of those, that pictured northbridge fan stopped spinning at some point, then melted and the destroyed husk of a plastic fan fell to the bottom of my case when i moved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
motherboard kept working, just without a chipset fan

• Locked thread