Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I know people were a bit down on Warburton being Snicket

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I never saw the film, but as a child I always pictured Snicket as having a more British-sounding snark rather than Warbuton's deadpan. That may have just been the influence of Harry Potter on my generation's reading habits!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
i have no idea what that means - except that you assumed Lemony Snickets = Daniel Radcliffe

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always imagined all of the characters and settings as British but that's largely because I didn't have any concept of who Daniel Handler was or where he was from.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was wary largely because I hadn't seen Warburton do anything but the big, stupid funny characters, like Kronk, or the robot from the recent Get Smart movie, and was unsure whether he could pull off the gravitas needed. He did though, and I'm happy for it.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Handler named the characters to make its setting obscure or up to the imagination. Violet and Poe are British names, Klaus German, Sunny American, Olaf east European. I pictured it in timeless old-England because Tim Curry performed the audiobooks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

I gotta be honest. If they replaced the baby with a 100% CGI baby I don't think I'd notice.
I certainly would, because one of my favourite things about the show is watching Sunny when she's just present in the scene but not the focus or meant to be doing anything. Like in episode three when Violet's holding the slice of cake and Sunny grabs for it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
TBH in the first ep when warburton is in the shadows I thought it was John Hamm, who also would've done a good job in the role

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Really enjoyed this show. It has my kind of quippy humor. I love Patrick as Snicket, but I do wish he was in it just a tad less. Sometimes when he has interjected I've found myself checking my phone.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing 22 new posts in the thread I thought Parker Posey had been cast as Esme or something.

(As a kid I never particularly thought about where the Baudelaires were from but I agree with the New England vibe both adaptations seem to have gone with)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Warburton was definitely one of the best parts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mameluke posted:

Seeing 22 new posts in the thread I thought Parker Posey had been cast as Esme or something.

(As a kid I never particularly thought about where the Baudelaires were from but I agree with the New England vibe both adaptations seem to have gone with)

I always thought of Esme as more of an Yzma -esque looking character.

Then again I always thought of Olaf as a 65+ year old man and they keep casting guys that have just hit 40 and giving them slightly grey hair.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My younger sister and I discovered the Lemony Snickets (as we called them) at the same time, and my elder, barely-pubescent mind thought Esme was a babe. I could see Esme as an Yzma-type, but i definitely chose not to. My dream casting is probably Emily Browning.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Manic X posted:

Really enjoyed this show. It has my kind of quippy humor. I love Patrick as Snicket, but I do wish he was in it just a tad less. Sometimes when he has interjected I've found myself checking my phone.

I don't mind Patrick as Snicket (though honestly I feel like Daniel Handler should've played him) but I don't like how we can see his face. One of the gags from the series is that we never see Snicket's face, even in the prequel series when we get pictures of what's going on, he's facing away from us or is inexplicably in shadow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why are we calling Neil Patrick Harris just Patrick now? Has that even been a thing before? Did he pick it up from his acting buddies Lee and Lee? (Tommy Lee Jones, Jamie Lee Curtis)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why are we calling Neil Patrick Harris just Patrick now? Has that even been a thing before? Did he pick it up from his acting buddies Lee and Lee? (Tommy Lee Jones, Jamie Lee Curtis)

They're talking about Patrick Warburton. The Narrator.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

They were calling Patrick Warburton just Patrick actually but the question stands

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I god I'm so dumb. :downswords:

For whatever reason his name got stuck in my head at Peter Warburton years ago and no matter what I do I can't seem to correct it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I love him, but I'll never be able to unsee him as The Tick

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Manic X posted:

We're opposites then because he's hands-down my favourite thing about the show and I could watch him just explain words to me for an hour.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the moments when he's interacted with, like when he's describing something outside of Justice Strauss's home and she is taking groceries inside. She just briefly glances at Snickett thinking "What the gently caress is he muttering about? :confused:"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

coyo7e posted:

I love him, but I'll never be able to unsee him as The Tick

The most tragic cancellation in all of television history.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new live action Tick is (was?) really good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

precision posted:

The new live action Tick is (was?) really good.

I didn't realize any of it was available so I looked it up, only the pilot has been released, but apparently they're filming a full season. I watched the pilot. Sweet mother of god it might have been the absolute worst thing I've ever seen. Arthur has a grimdark back story and everyone thinks he's crazy and he's on meds and so messed up he needs a legal guardian. His suit has some sleek modern makeover and is full of tech poo poo. I think the Tick might have made like two jokes, one in each of the two scenes he was in. The show was too busy showing us a flashback of how Arthur's father was murdered in front of him as a child.

It's like whoever is making the DC movies wrote it. It was kinda heartbreaking to watch.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

HopperUK posted:

We're opposites then because he's hands-down my favourite thing about the show and I could watch him just explain words to me for an hour.

There are only two voices in the world that keep me attentitive to narration... David Attenborough and Morgan Freeman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't realize any of it was available so I looked it up, only the pilot has been released, but apparently they're filming a full season. I watched the pilot. Sweet mother of god it might have been the absolute worst thing I've ever seen. Arthur has a grimdark back story and everyone thinks he's crazy and he's on meds and so messed up he needs a legal guardian. His suit has some sleek modern makeover and is full of tech poo poo. I think the Tick might have made like two jokes, one in each of the two scenes he was in. The show was too busy showing us a flashback of how Arthur's father was murdered in front of him as a child.

It's like whoever is making the DC movies wrote it. It was kinda heartbreaking to watch.

It's written by the same guy who did the original...

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Manic X posted:

There are only two voices in the world that keep me attentitive to narration... David Attenborough and Morgan Freeman.

The audiobooks were performed by Tim Curry, and I could listen to him read anything. The audiobooks are all on YouTube if you want to experience this yourself.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

RJWaters2 posted:

The audiobooks were performed by Tim Curry, and I could listen to him read anything. The audiobooks are all on YouTube if you want to experience this yourself.

Is Tim Curry the guy from Home Alone 2? - The guy that has been quite ill in recent years?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manic X posted:

Is Tim Curry the guy from Home Alone 2? - The guy that has been quite ill in recent years?

Yes. But if you only know him from Home Alone 2 then you must immediately go and watch him in his best role, by which I mean, of course, Poet Man in the second episode of Lexx.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yes. But if you only know him from Home Alone 2 then you must immediately go and watch him in his best role, by which I mean, of course, Poet Man in the second episode of Lexx.

Wrong, while he is great in that role (and pretty much every role he is ever in), his BEST role will always be Dr Frank-n-furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

hangedman1984 posted:

Wrong, while he is great in that role (and pretty much every role he is ever in), his BEST role will always be Dr Frank-n-furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Tiggum posted:

Somebody hasn't seen The Wild Thornberries.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Pennywise the Clown

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Wooow, we all know the best role was Wadsworth. C'mon guys.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wooow, we all know the best role was Wadsworth. C'mon guys.

Wadsworth was played by Lee Ving, though? :confused:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Senerio posted:

Wadsworth was played by Lee Ving, though? :confused:

:cheeky:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

How is there even an argument about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Um, I think you're all forgetting something https://youtu.be/Nrj8EZm9ca8

Tim Curry rocks.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The Tim Curry audiobooks were how I got into the series as a teenager. I had read a couple books as a kid, but I wasn't fully invested. His Count Olaf is genuinely terrifying.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Maybe the real answer is that Tim Curry is incalculably awesome in everything he has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Clue. The correct answer is Clue.

Also, between Pennywise and Legend this guy basically WAS my childhood nightmares.

• Locked thread