Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

normal person, looking to leverage cutting edge technologies on the cloud: hm. this VPS service seems pretty good, i get my own virtual machine that comes with any operating system i want and all the admin is handled behind the scenes, and it costs me less than 50 bucks a month. what a bargain!

dumb yospos retard: gonna order myself a $5000 dell blade server and load it up with DeBiAn os. shipping it off to the datacentre now to be installed and let's just hope the developers of my operating system don't push a huge update that breaks everything, otherwise the yospos is gonna hear hell about it.

i pay $150 a month to rack a poweredge r610 running esxi and an asa 5520 in ashburn

checkmate bithc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
also the server was free from someone i know who didn't want it

gave it some tlc in the form of 6x1tb disks, a perc h700i and 96gb of ram

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

i pay $150 a month to rack a poweredge r610 running esxi and an asa 5520 in ashburn

checkmate bithc

wut kinda pipe and w/ what carrier

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

wut kinda pipe and w/ what carrier

500mbps, internap

suits my needs just fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

acceptable

being in ashburn is cool & good too

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

acceptable

being in ashburn is cool & good too

it's only about an hour from me so it's easy to get out there if i need to

also near equinix which is where my company has a cage, so i can drop by after i'm done doing work stuff

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

RISCy Business posted:

checkmate bithc

I pay nothing dollars a month because I don't janitor servers when I leave work

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

I pay nothing dollars a month because I don't janitor servers when I leave work

:yossame:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
lol if you dont have your own bespoke cluster in the basement, just lmfao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lightbulb Out posted:

lol if you dont have your own bespoke cluster in the basement, just lmfao

running on outdated arm chips because reasons

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the reason is the hardware is cheap and linux is free lol

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

im the hopelessly underpowered atom server (actually a netbook sitting on top of the rack)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
its a stack of netbooks in someones basement

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I should set up my raspberry pi again. thing is I don’t think there’s much I’d do with it that I can’t do on SDF

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

there's tons of dumb things you can do. turn it into a dsp for instruments, automate watering plants, blinds. have it as a retro console emulator, whatever

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve got retropie on it but playing on my PC is more convenient usually. I don’t really have any home automation tasks to do and neither do I want to burn my house down. maybe I could make a Twitter ticker with an led matrix?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that sounds cool and reminds me of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_device

though ubicomp and ambient data vis was sort of a failure it's still pretty interesting, you could visualize all sorts of available data in different ways if you just want a dumb project

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

if you change the country to canada, there is a flash sale on the KS-4C for $21 a month

i just bought one and the cpu is actually faster than advertised, i got a i5-3570s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
really annoyed that my dumb Linux desktop doesn't support 5k display but my laptop does. 4K at hidpi is just too small

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve got retropie on it but playing on my PC is more convenient usually. I don’t really have any home automation tasks to do and neither do I want to burn my house down. maybe I could make a Twitter ticker with an led matrix?

i made a dns that i can filter malware and ad servers with, then used ddwrt on my router to add vpn and pipe through the dns. handy for simple security and filtering for 'free' if you dont care about it being basically your home internet connection. theres guides to doing both on the rpi but that felt like too much for me

they also make okay print servers for old printers but the basic b+ was super slow to spool and print so thats not as exciting

you can always turn yourself and face to google home or alexa but lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/review-system76s-galago-pro-solves-just-works-linuxs-goldilocks-problem/

System 76 laptop summary: price the same as a similarly specced macbook pro, but with one third the battery life.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what the fudck is a 3k screen

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i don't know but it can be yours for a mere $1.3k.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

2880x1620

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
just buy a thinkpad

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagebrush posted:

just buy a thinkpad

seems like the best option if you want a linux machine.

on the other hand you'd be buying something to make a linux machine which is ridiculous at best

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Maximum Leader posted:

does this depravity know no bounds??????

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Max Facetime posted:

this is some supreme posting genius right here. did like 3 double takes like wtf

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/MuckRock/status/898348985777180673

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

good

linux certs are a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Max Facetime posted:

lol they should ban the networking ones instead

• Locked thread