Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Do you think we topped or bottomed for Hugo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Oh, g[j]eez, why does Joseph have to be paired with Damien?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If there's food, I'm excited

Mat, Hugo and Craig

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress people food never interrupts the conversation.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It's always time for burger time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Remember your ABC's: Always Burger Chomp!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Let's go for Brian

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh hell yes, an elitist goth dad who is stupid enough to look for Victorian inspired clothing at Hot Topic*? This is perfect, voting for Damian all the way.

*Anyone who went beyond the baby bat phase knows that those places are overpriced and lovely quality. :c00lbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This is goondad, of course he's going to focus on burger over people.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm in the combined throes of post-holiday ham lethargy and pre-holiday travel packing, so please accept this slightly bare-boned update in the Christmas - New Year interim. An expansion with more Dad Action and Beef will come later this week.

"I'll see this as a learning opportunity. If I can snake some hot grill tips, I think we can consider it a success."

"Don't you want to meet some of the people in the neighborhood?"

"I'll probably end up standing uncomfortably in the corner with a plate of food and hope that nobody talks to me."

The mingling of what would usually be internal monologue with actual dialogue is probably what puts me off Dad's voice. It'd be like if everyone actually spoke how they posted. Frightful.

"Dad, you're a beautiful work in progress. We will get that butterfly to emerge from the cocoon.

"The social butterfly."

"Well, we better start getting ready. We definitely don't want to be late."

"What? No. We have to be fashionably late. Who shows up to a cookout on time?"

"You know what? We're going early. Just because you said that."

I head out the door and Amanda reluctantly follows. We walk across the street to Joseph's house with a store-bought veggie plate -- I'm a terrible cook if it doesn't involve a grill.

I set our veggie plate down on a table next to two other veggie plates. Huh.

"Hey! There's Joseph."

I wave to get his attention. The moment he sees us, he jogs over, arms open wide.

"And you brought veggies!

"Let me introduce you to my family. Kids, come on over here! This is Chris, my eldest:"

"This is Christian and Christie, they're twins."

"Then, of course, there's our youngest, Crish...

"Wait, where is Crish? Maybe Mary put him in his crib."

"Oh! And how could I forget my lovely wife, Mary."

This naming scheme is totally normal.

Joseph pecks her on the cheek. She smiles.

"Ah, Mary, sweetheart, did you put Crish to bed?"

"What--? You'll have to--?"

Joseph takes a moment and regains his composure.

"Mary, this is our new neighbor, John and his daughter, Amanda."

"I'd shake your hand but I have a glass of wine that I need to tend to."

"I love her."

"Nice to ah, meet you, Mary. For the first time."

"Charmed. Well, I have to go over there now."

It takes all of my energy not to run away from the barbecue and start fresh in a new city.

"Ha ha ha, my wife has a wonderful sense of humor. But please, you two enjoy the barbecue. All the guys are really excited to meet you."

"Ugh, I don't want to have to make friends."

I have this talk every time there's a shindig. Have I become... dad?

"Come on, Dad. Who are you gonna party with when I go off to school?"

"But I don't wanna have to do pleasantrieeeees."

"Dad."

"Go. Do it. Make a friend."

"But how could I possibly abandon my only child at a social function? That's... bad parenting."

Amanda shoves me into the center of the yard. Well. Here goes nothing. I look around the party and am surprised to see some familiar faces.

Heck yeah!

Oh hello there, Mr. No Morning After Breakfast.

Where's the dog?

More like Dad, Goth & Beyond. Hurr.

Does anyone ever change outfits in this neighborhood?

This action figure comes complete with baby accessory.

But wait a second! All of these people live in our cul de sac? That can't be right. I'd better investigate.

Thanks to MagusDraco, who broke the tie, Thread Dad will talk to Mat, Hugo, and Craig.

But not today.

Next time: Part 2

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 26, 2017

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That naming scheme is so bad it loops around to be so-bad-its-good, but then keeps on going and becomes bad again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what the crish

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There are only 4 of them, that is not nearly enough to do a full 360.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
you gotta admire Joseph's dadication to names

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 26, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god, that complete dislike of actually interacting with people. Our Dad really is a Goon. It's like I could read myself in his lines.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Really Pants posted:

what the crish

Crish is the name that really cinches the deal. The Joseph and Mary combo is already just... :kiss:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He's got a knack for christenings, that's for sure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Speaking of loops, this writing is twee enough to stop being charming and loop straight to being obnoxious. POOL IS CLOSED was correct; this reads like a bunch of lovely internet posts instead of the way real human beings interact.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I bring to you a preview.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I imagine saying "art is dead" immediately instigates a fist fight with Hugo and the guy in the middle (who I forgot their name, sorry).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Well, that's pretty subjective.

We might be dumb but we know not to start a fight.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
HAHAHA it's too late for democracy! ART IS DEAD

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rip art

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

We have "art is dead" as an option and we're still talking about this?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Where's the Beef? Part 2

Last time, Thread Dad John arrived at the neighborhood cookout with his daughter and a veggie platter in tow. We ended on the choice of who to talk to -- Hugo, Mat, and Craig eked out victory over a burger with a tie-breaker vote.

"Well, I don't think it's fair to try and compare two art movements like that.

"Periods in art only exist because they're a unique byproduct of the social and political climate of a time and place, and to try to take something like, say, the Rococo period and compare it to post-modernism in America, you're completely disregarding the context in which a work of art is created."

Mat and Hugo seem to be so busy talking that they don't notice me. Craig leans in.

"Dude, I have no idea what's happening."

"That kind of comparison just eliminates the reason art movements are so important in the first place."

"You're not wrong, but I think there's no harm comparing one work of art to another. You could definitely say one painting is better than another if you're evaluating technical skill from a purely formalist standpoint.

"If I showed you a Matisse and then something by the Dutch masters, which one would you say shows more technical prowess?"

I am so lost right now. I shoot a worried glance over to Craig, who returns it.

"Well sure, you could say that the Dutch masters were technically more skilled, but I would argue that while the Dutch masters were better painters, Matisse had better paintings overall."

"Listen, you guys can navel-gaze all you want about "art" and "periods," but real art died long before we were ever born. Before the original masters picked up their brushes. Before Prometheus received fire from the gods.

"Everything we do on this planet is born of a fear of death. Art is just a way for humans to try to live forever.

"But it doesn't matter. Nothing matters. One day it will all be dust."

Stop reading CSPAM, Thread Dad. Quit threadshitting.

Everyone stares at me.

"Anyway....

"Listen, all I asked was if you liked van Gogh or Picasso better."

Hugo throws up his hands in frustration.

I would've liked an illustration of that.

"But they represent two completely different art movements! How could I possibly choose between the thick, creamy impasto of post-impressionism and the abstractionist beauty of cubism?"

Impasto is a painting technique where paint is applied very thickly to & sometimes even mixed directly on the canvas so that the brush or paint knife strokes are clearly visible. This is traditionally an oil painting technique. It provides a very strong textural component to the painting. Van Gogh's work often incorporated impasto.

"Man, that's all way above my head."

"Me too."

"Haha, it's all good, man. The cool thing about art is that we all perceive it differently. A single piece could have a totally different effect on each person that looks at it, and that's awesome!"

I get the feeling that Hugo doesn't put much stock in "death of the author" as part of critical theory.

"Hugo, please."

"Sorry, sorry. I get really fired up about art stuff.

"John, how are you liking the neighborhood?"

"It's pretty nice. Everyone's been super friendly!"

"Seems like your daughter is fitting in just fine."

"It's a flower crown. I thought you'd look cute in it."

"Well, there's only one way to find out."

Mat takes the flower crown and places it on top of his head.

Yes.

The girl stares at him, thinking it over.

"Mmmm...nope. But you're slightly less uncool than you were before you put it on."

"Ha, hey John, this is my daughter."

"Hello!"

"I'm Carmensita!"

"Dad, look, I'm making friends!"

"Are you making friends? You better be making friends."

"Yeah, actually. Amanda, you remember the cool barista from the coffee shop. And my old college friend. And, uh....your teacher."

Just in case any of us readers forgot...

"Oh, hi Mr. Vega. I didn't realize we were neighbors."

"Yep."

"Hahaha, great seeing you!"

Actual thread dads, care to comment? We don't get Thread Dad's internal monologue here to know if he really doesn't mind learning that Amanda hasn't turned in her term project or if he's just letting this slide for the moment to avoid a potential scene.

"She's definitely a charmer. Speaking of which, where did my son go...?"

Hugo looks around the party. He must finally spot him, because his eyes go wide.

"Ernest! Ernest Hemingway Vega! Are you smoking?"

I suppose this does merit starting a scene! But holy moly, Mr. Vega -- did you really name your kid Ernest Hemingway?

Ernest is holding a lit cigarette.

Ernest: Nope.

I see Ernest across the way. He casually takes a long drag of his cigarette and then flicks it into a gutter.

I'm pretty sure they mean he dropped it in a street gutter, but it's better to imagine he threw it up in a house's gutters.

"Unbelievable. Excuse me."

Hugo is clearly a more law & order father than Thread Dad. Hugo'll chastise his kid in public; this is clearly not Thread Dad's style.

"Kids, right?"

"Man, I do NOT envy Hugo. The last barbecue we had, Ernest tried to shove a sparkler down Joseph's pants. Nearly burned down half the yard."

"And the barbecue we had before that, he actually burned down half the yard."

"And then it spread onto my lawn and burned down half of my yard too."

"Hey everybody, sorry about that. John, this is my son, Ernest."

"Hello."

Ernest looks away, sulking, his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"...."

Hugo nudges him impatiently.

"....hey."

"Nice to meet you, Ernest. What grade are you in?"

Nothing matters, kid.

"Ernest."

"Okay okay I'm in eighth grade, god, are you happy now? I'm sure you were just dying to know."

"Er....yeah. Good for you."

"Can I go now? I'm tired of talking to old dudes who blame my generation for the failing economy."

Ouch.

"ERNEST."

"Oh yeah, because I'M totally embarrassing YOU!"

This is indubitably the type of scene Thread Dad wanted to avoid, though I don't think Amanda would react the same way Ernest has.

"He seems nice."

Hugo puts his head in his hands and sighs.

"As much as I want to be the Cool Dad, I have to be the Authoritarian Dad and he clearly resents me for it."

"I mean, I think as a Dad and a Teacher, that's about as authoritarian as you can get."

"Honestly, are any of us Cool Dads? Is it even possible to be a Cool Dad?"

"What? I'm cool as a cucumber."

"See, that right there. You can't say that."

"My kids think I'm cool."

"But for how long, Craig? How long do we get to be the Cool Dads?"

"I uh... don't know."

Yes, the spacing of the ellipses is totally inconsistent in the source text. Don't @ me, bro!

"I think we just have to accept the fact that as Dads, we've become the Machine we once raged against and accept our fate to unironically wear socks with sandals. Your kids may think you're cool now, but the moment they hit puberty, you're doomed."

I yell across the yard to my daughter.

"AMANDA, I'M COOL, RIGHT?"

Amanda just laughs. She keeps laughing.

"I see your point."

"As much as we all want it, I don't think it's as important to be a Cool Dad as it is to be a Good Dad. We can't all be best friends with our kids, it just doesn't work. I mean...look at me and Ernest."

"Our job as parents is to make sure our kids turn out okay."

"Yeah, you're right. But it'd be nice to have it both ways."

Hearing these guys talk about this makes me think of my relationship with Amanda. We get along so well, but there might come a time when it won't be like that. Is college when that happens?

Finally, a meatier discussion on one of the primary themes of the game -- fatherhood!

"Don't let us eat up your time, John, go meet some of the other people around the neighborhood!"

Burger time just ends the meet and greet. Let's go ahead and talk to the rest of the dads on our street.

I spot Joseph chatting with the guy from Dead, Goth & Beyond by the grill. I wonder what they're talking about? I walk over to them.

That sure, uh, is a hell of a house you're describing.

"It's definitely an... interesting... choice."

"Thank you, I'm very proud of my abode."

"John! I was just having a conversation with Damien here about his... aesthetic design decisions."

Damien regards me up and down with a warm but critical eye.

The up and down look is a time honored technique for checking a dude out.

"I think I saw you in Dead, Goth & Beyond the other day."

Damien's face turns bright red.

Alas, this isn't illustrated.

"I... must apologize for my behavior on that day. You see, I take the Goth lifestyle very seriously, and to be caught in a ruse by such a corporation as Dead, Goth & Beyond was profoundly frustrating, indeed."

"It's... okay man."

"Do tell me about yourself. Are you new to the area?"

"Yes! My daughter and I just moved in the other day. She was the one I took to Dead, Goth & Beyond."

"Very good taste on her part, does she partake in the Goth lifestyle?"

I think for a second. I look over to Amanda, who's hanging out with some of the older kids in the neighborhood.

"HEY AMANDA! WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF GOTH?"

Amanda yells back.

Next time: Part 3

And with that, I think the update has gone on long enough. Part 3 will wrap up the barbecue!

If you agree that the writing hits the twee buttons too hard, the game is clearly onto you. Whether that self-awareness redeems the tone for you or not, however, is a matter of taste.

This is the first time the characters directly address the anxieties of fatherhood. What kind of relationship do you want with your child? What do you envision your obligations and ultimate goal as? Lastly, how do you try to fulfill those?

We've glimpsed John's thoughts on parenting alone, but we don't know much about how he provides for his family yet. He's certainly been non-confrontational and hands-off so far, at least compared to Hugo, but he's also not as interested in presenting the perfect nuclear family face as Joseph appears to be.

We also met a few new characters this time -- some of the children we hadn't previously met. Carmensita and Ernest are pretty standard foils for each other, and appear to be roughly the same age.

And lastly, thread... how about you? Do you partake of the Goth lifestyle?

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 8, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is "twee"

is it like hipsters

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

what is "twee"

is it like hipsters

twee is trying too hard to be cute. Like a four-year-old intentionally mispronouncing words and making big puppydog eyes so you'll give them a cookie.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Damien is an adult babybat. He is still perfect for our Dad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

And lastly, thread... how about you? Do you partake of the Goth lifestyle?
Music-wise, absolutely!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

twee is trying too hard to be cute. Like a four-year-old intentionally mispronouncing words and making big puppydog eyes so you'll give them a cookie.
If you've read the Discworld novel Hogfather, Twyla is doing that all the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have a [[hugobrow]] in the update. May want to fix that.

I don't know what to add about the dad discussion because I'm not a dad and I don't plan to be a dad any time soon. But it's good that they care about looking good for their children, I guess?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have a [[hugobrow]] in the update. May want to fix that.

I don't know what to add about the dad discussion because I'm not a dad and I don't plan to be a dad any time soon. But it's good that they care about looking good for their children, I guess?

If you've ever had a bio-dad or adoptive dad or even an absent dad, you can talk about dads! Don't feel like you have to take a back seat for that.

Also thank you, I'll have to fix that! This update required a lot of new portraits.

e: I'm working on an essay about the game and fatherhood, so this update is actually kinda big!

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 8, 2018

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
If I found out about my daughter having an overdue term paper, I'd give her a Meaningful Look but save the lecture until later. (There would definitely be A Lecture.)

The Dad Discussion is on point about being a cool dad - there comes a point where being cool with everything your offspring does is going to conflict with making sure they aren't doing terrible, stupid poo poo, and if you want to be a good dad you have to pick option B and hope they forgive you when they're older.

I do wear black a lot but I don't think that counts as partaking of the Goth lifestyle. Not enough ruffles and I wear the wrong kind of hat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You know, you can always incorporate more ruffles into your day. And Looks.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Amanda is 18, really? I was guessing 14 from her reactions and the fact that she apparently enjoys making flower crowns with a bunch of 12 year olds.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh, I am a goth by the way, if you hadn't realised from my amusement with Damien. Or, goth describes my style well enough, I usually just say Alternative. This is also why I am so flabbergasted by Damien looking for authentic stuff at Hot Topic, at his age he should have long since moved on to better places to buy proper Victorian stuff. I mean, there are hundreds of Etsy shops selling more authentic things, with proper quality materials for the same price as that kind of store!

(I know I am coming off as super elitist right now by the way, feel free to make fun of me if you wish.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And what do you think about his black/crimson house colouring decision?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

He lives inside a rare steak? :v:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The relationship between Amanda and Goondad is the cutest and best thing ever.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Again, baby bat. would totally have gone for that myself at that age. As in, the age when you first get started and just embrace every single cliche, not realising that is what it is. Which he seems to be stuck at, unlike most of us who actually develops some taste and actual individuality does. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you're not a real goth until you've sacked the Roman Empire

• Locked thread