Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

John Dyne posted:

I haven't touched the Dragon Age series since I beat DA:O and got disappointed that I couldn't be a dwarf in DA2, but thanks to the Origin Access poo poo I've been playing through DA2 and decided to start DA:I for the gently caress of it. I've just done the Gunpowder quest in Act 2 of DA:2 but I want to try the newer game anyways.

I've never read anything about it and I haven't talked to anyone about it, so I have to ask, why the gently caress does my custom character look so loving GREASY? Like in character creation, the hair and beards look like poo poo and are super shiny and oily, and the character has like a sheen of sweat on them. I was able to turn lip shine off but my character now looks like they're out of shape and ran a marathon and ended up with chapped lips.

pls dont project ur 2017 ideals of beuty onto the greasy people of thedas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As I recall if you play with hair/face textures on medium-low settings they look really shiny, this is on PC.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

John Dyne posted:

I haven't touched the Dragon Age series since I beat DA:O and got disappointed that I couldn't be a dwarf in DA2, but thanks to the Origin Access poo poo I've been playing through DA2 and decided to start DA:I for the gently caress of it. I've just done the Gunpowder quest in Act 2 of DA:2 but I want to try the newer game anyways.

I've never read anything about it and I haven't talked to anyone about it, so I have to ask, why the gently caress does my custom character look so loving GREASY? Like in character creation, the hair and beards look like poo poo and are super shiny and oily, and the character has like a sheen of sweat on them. I was able to turn lip shine off but my character now looks like they're out of shape and ran a marathon and ended up with chapped lips.

Long days and hard nights on poo poo Mountain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The weakening barrier to the fade makes everyone sweaty

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A healthy sheen keeps the darkspawn taint away

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

exquisite tea posted:

As I recall if you play with hair/face textures on medium-low settings they look really shiny, this is on PC.

When I checked my texture quality was on Ultra. Like it didn't have a specific 'hair/face' texture setting, just Mesh, Textures, and Ground Textures.

I'll just have to be a greasy dwarf with a magic hand, I guess.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
If you're on PC, there's a number of mods that will get reduce or completely get rid of the shine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trying to get used to Knight Enchanter, and I'm just kinda bouncing off of it. Up until now I was hanging at the back of the fray, shoving Lightning spells up everyone's rear end, but I think now I'm supposed to lead the party in battle? As I understand it, the idea is:

1. Run in
2. Cast Barrier on myself
3. Hit everything with Spirit Blade, thereby keeping Barrier up
4. Repeat

I die pretty quickly this way. Everyone else seems to have questionable survivability too, even Iron Bull. Am I doing something wrong?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to get used to Knight Enchanter, and I'm just kinda bouncing off of it. Up until now I was hanging at the back of the fray, shoving Lightning spells up everyone's rear end, but I think now I'm supposed to lead the party in battle? As I understand it, the idea is:

1. Run in
4. Repeat

I die pretty quickly this way. Everyone else seems to have questionable survivability too, even Iron Bull. Am I doing something wrong?

That was the pre-nerf strategy. You were literally unkillable. I know its different now, but I have no idea what the build/strategy for KE is. Just youtube it.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Pollyanna posted:

1. Run in
4. Repeat

Spirit blade has a little counter next to your spells on your HUD. 0 to 99. Doing damage with spells other than spirit blade build it up and spirit blade uses it up and does more damage.
I use your same strategy with a couple blasts of chain lightning or spirit barrage to charge my blade and I am basically invulnerable.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Barrier is a waste of a slot, you should be doing enough damage to keep your barrier up without it. You should use something like this instead (not a full build, but the essentials).

http://www.rpg-gaming.com/daisc.html?d=t&c=m&b=Mage%20-%20Winter&t6=14569&t3=13458dfg&t2=4789acd&t1=4&t0=1467&a=00611422a33443153d661765

Combat skill priority goes something like this:

Dispel (if enemy has barriers)
Ice Mine (freeze enemies to proc Ice Armor)
Fire Mine (your biggest nuke)
Fade Cloak (another big nuke)
Winter's Grasp (use only if an enemy is frozen or chilled.)
Fade Step (to reposition / chill enemies)
Energy Barrage (to rapidly build up spirit blade charges)
Spirit Blade (if you can't do anything else)

Other than that the number 1 priority is to try to find a Sigil of the Great Bear, so you can double your mana pool (especially helpful with Winter's Grasp).

Smol fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 20, 2018

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

I dont usually cast a barrier myself, I have that skill that auto generates one in combat and I can usually keep that one the whole fight.
Also guard on hit masterworks for extra immortality.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really liked Cole. As someone whose got a bit of the old OCD I kind of got what he wanted to be. He wants to be a good person, doesn't understand how to do that in the best way and is constantly confronted with the fact that he believes/ knows other people think of him as a monster.

I just liked how he was always trying to do the best by people, that and his interactions with everyone else and how he liked the companions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah KE now is about doing high damage to keep your barriers up. Before that was as simple as spamming blade but now you want to use other spells primarily and then swing your blade only when it's charged up.

e: I got distracted from a full series run I was doing months ago and just now got back into it. Just finished DA2 as Mage and Origins as Dwarf Noble Warrior. Blood Mage was pretty nice on Nightmare in 2.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Whoa whoa WHOA what is this about Alexis "The Worm in Waiting" Kennedy writing for Dragon Age 4?? Can they put him on the next mass effect game too??

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, so basically just keep doing what I was doing before? And use Spirit Blade occasionally? Seems like I can handle that...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gowb posted:

Whoa whoa WHOA what is this about Alexis "The Worm in Waiting" Kennedy writing for Dragon Age 4?? Can they put him on the next mass effect game too??

Yeah he's been confirmed for a while. I'm hoping he's writing for whoever is responsible for the Qunari existing but we will see!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Yeah he's been confirmed for a while. I'm hoping he's writing for whoever is responsible for the Qunari existing but we will see!

That actually excites me a lot about this, I love the writing in pretty much every Failbetter game (the actual gameplay....not so much). Speaking of, I wanted to ask about the Mass Effect indoctrination theory since I'm replaying 3...where did that thread go?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

gowb posted:

Next Mass Effect game?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Next Mass Effect game?

If there is one I mean. Hopefully they decide Destroy and Indoctrination Theory are canon and continue the Adventures of Shepard.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I imagine there's crossover. What's up. You think starkid was a hallucination?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Bogart posted:

I imagine there's crossover. What's up. You think starkid was a hallucination?

Most deffo. There are so many weird things about the ending. Like trees and shrubs from shep's dreams appearing in the final beam section? Nobody else seeing the kid in any scene with him? Hackett somehow knowing you're alive in the Citadel and contacting you after the last thing you hear from him is that Hammer (your group) has all been killed? How did Anderson get to the room before you, there was only one path? The weird reaper growls? You magically get a wound where Anderson/TIM get shot??? It's just too coincidental. Did Bioware ever comment on it?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Starkid/the ending is just lovely horrible writing and none of it was intentional. Indoctrination theory is just that, a fan theory to try and explain away the lovely writing. If there was ever a time for them to grab onto it, it was when the whole fiasco with the end/EC was going on. Instead we got "you don't understand ART!" While I'd love a direct ME3 sequel (a well-written one, anyway) the reception to Andromeda has killed the franchise for the foreseeable future. You know it's bad when even EA won't do DLC to hoover up extra money.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, so basically just keep doing what I was doing before? And use Spirit Blade occasionally? Seems like I can handle that...

I'm Knight Enchanter this time and my strategy doesn't have any mines or anything, just a handful of fire and lightning AOE spells until my blade is at 99, fade step into the enemy if needs be - hit them 3 or 4 times, hopefully fade step away. Dispel on the quickmenu for rifts and barriers. With dragons, save fade step until they do the wing whirlwind thing that drags you in. It's probably not ideal, but I always have a second mage who handles barrier and revive if necessary (although they're awful at the latter).

I miss Tempest rogue, that is incredibly fun to play. Pure damage output, no dealing with party members or healing or any bullshit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SubponticatePoster posted:

Starkid/the ending is just lovely horrible writing and none of it was intentional. Indoctrination theory is just that, a fan theory to try and explain away the lovely writing. If there was ever a time for them to grab onto it, it was when the whole fiasco with the end/EC was going on. Instead we got "you don't understand ART!" While I'd love a direct ME3 sequel (a well-written one, anyway) the reception to Andromeda has killed the franchise for the foreseeable future. You know it's bad when even EA won't do DLC to hoover up extra money.

To be fair, art is hard to understand.

Art makes you feel. New feelings are often confused with anger. It's okay, it's just a part of the trap of toxic masculinity that modern gaming engenders, and furthermore

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

To be fair, art is hard to understand.

Art makes you feel. New feelings are often confused with anger. It's okay, it's just a part of the trap of toxic masculinity that modern gaming engenders, and furthermore

Friend, I think you are conflating two different things there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Also Kaiden is bi but this was removed in ME1. Why?

There were articles about this but I'm phone posting, the gist of it is that they believed gay romances would push the series into "R" territory whereas those straight romances (and I guess "it doesn't count if she's blue") were perceived as "PG-13".

Like IIRC Casey Hudson literally said or strongly implied that more gay = rated R.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For Mass Effect 1 I think it was just a situation where male and female VAs read for the same lines and these were later datamined but the romance paths for Kaidan and Ashley were never intended to be homoavailable. Bioware really wanted you to gently caress the blue alien spacebabe anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

For Mass Effect 1 I think it was just a situation where male and female VAs read for the same lines and these were later datamined but the romance paths for Kaidan and Ashley were never intended to be homoavailable. Bioware really wanted you to gently caress the blue alien spacebabe anyway.

yeah i actually did end up finding the article, and it was specifically asking "why no gay men in ME2?" rest of what i posted is unfortunately entirely accurate.

edit: poster said David Gaider "is" a gay man, did he finally come out of the closet??? last i heard anything from him, he said he's "not romantic because romance always ends in disaster" or something

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

AFAIU MeA was done by another team...the guys who made the trilogy are working on that Destiny clone. Which looks cool but I doubt it'll scratch the same itch as ME. I feel like the problems with Andromeda went way beyond it being a disappointing continuation of the series. It was just very shoddily made. I could easily see them returning to form after they're done with Anthem, coming "home" to continue the good old adventures of Commander Baldy to much fanfare and hype. People REALLY liked the original trilogy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gowb posted:

AFAIU MeA was done by another team...the guys who made the trilogy are working on that Destiny clone. Which looks cool but I doubt it'll scratch the same itch as ME. I feel like the problems with Andromeda went way beyond it being a disappointing continuation of the series. It was just very shoddily made. I could easily see them returning to form after they're done with Anthem, coming "home" to continue the good old adventures of Commander Baldy to much fanfare and hype. People REALLY liked the original trilogy.

It was an entirely new team because EA told them to do it, and it was at first bad in a bunch of really really funny ways and then kind of bland as heck later on, because as it turns out when the publisher tells a studio to make a game in X franchise who cares if you have ideas or not, the game ends up being super formulaic

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

precision posted:

yeah i actually did end up finding the article, and it was specifically asking "why no gay men in ME2?" rest of what i posted is unfortunately entirely accurate.

edit: poster said David Gaider "is" a gay man, did he finally come out of the closet??? last i heard anything from him, he said he's "not romantic because romance always ends in disaster" or something
he's been openly gay for years https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bioware-lead-writer-on-being-gay-and-a-developer/1100-6417843/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

to be fair, i haven't paid any attention at all to him since around Dragon Age 2

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wouldn't it be crazy if anthem turned out to be amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wouldn't it be crazy if anthem turned out to be amazing

I mean, it looks good, and I honestly think there's a chance it'll be a solid game, but not a very high chance. Like 20%.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

I mean, it looks good, and I honestly think there's a chance it'll be a solid game, but not a very high chance. Like 20%.

Maybe they'll pull that ME3 MP lightning out of the bottle

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
they're gonna gently caress it up with loot crates

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

they're gonna gently caress it up with loot crates

I don't know. EA's been burned. I think it's much more likely they're going to gently caress it up by redesigning the entire game from scratch in the last year to take the (previously central) loot crates out.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I really liked Cole.
I just liked how he was always trying to do the best by people, that and his interactions with everyone else and how he liked the companions.
Hey fellow Cole buddy. :hfive: His party banter was always the best.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah KE now is about doing high damage to keep your barriers up. Before that was as simple as spamming blade but now you want to use other spells primarily and then swing your blade only when it's charged up.

e: I got distracted from a full series run I was doing months ago and just now got back into it. Just finished DA2 as Mage and Origins as Dwarf Noble Warrior. Blood Mage was pretty nice on Nightmare in 2.

Perfect summation of KE. Get a guard building stone on your staff and while you can't Tank... with smart gameplay you will not fall easy. Just don't try and solo Dragons or go into the Deep Roads alone. Freakin Shreikers man...

So how'd you like the Dwarf Noble? I played other runs but that DN is my "canon" run. Loved it. Did you go Bhelan or Harrowmont? I carried that Aeducan family shield with me forever. There were better shields but... that one was mine.

This is the best summation of the whole starkid plot and ME status. I really like the movie Zardoz. I've watched way more often than a sane person should. I want to say there are brilliant bits and pieces lurking inside but my mates are quick to remind me that it is terrible and the plot merely came from the writers doing a metric fucktonne of drugs and somehow conning a drunk Sean Connery to walk around in a red diaper and wax philisophic about death, free will and penises. Sometimes we just have to admit that something we like has really giant flaws and might not be more than dumb fun. She's dead jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Von_Doom posted:

So how'd you like the Dwarf Noble? I played other runs but that DN is my "canon" run. Loved it. Did you go Bhelan or Harrowmont? I carried that Aeducan family shield with me forever. There were better shields but... that one was mine.

Went Bhelen. He's much better as a King than Harrowmont. And yeah I used that Aeducan shield for pretty much the whole game since I went sns.