Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Most Valuable Person in 2017 football is...
Chip Kelly
Colin Kaepernick
Jon Bois
My team's waterboy, hydration is essential.
View Results

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ulmont posted:

Nah. Peterson was a good pass catcher when he had a good quarterback.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_def38164-507c-11e7-b9b8-dfaf60da8e6c.html

This part is exactly right, of course.

If the Saints win the Super Bowl, give Adrian his ring. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silly Burrito posted:

Kinda surprised you guys didn't give him one in 2009 tbh

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
the Minnesota Vikings are the most valuable team in the NFL right now, and they did it with an excellent offensive line and defensive line and an OK quarterback who looks a lot like Daunte Culpepper

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers have two realistic ways into the playoffs. Three ways total, but the third involves a tie so that's not gonna happen:

1. Chargers Win + Titans lose to Jags AND Bengals lose to Ravens

OR

2. Chargers win + Titans lose to Jags AND Bills lose to Dolphins

I am not picky

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
the vikings offensive line is average at best. they only look great in comparison to last season’s poo poo show and Keenum’s surprising pocket mobility.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

WHOOPS posted:

the vikings offensive line is average at best. they only look great in comparison to last season’s poo poo show and Keenum’s surprising pocket mobility.

They suck at run blocking but are awesome at pass protection.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
not really. they’ve given up a lot pressure despite the low sack total. i think Keenum is pressured on something like 35% of his drop backs, which is one of the highest on the league.

some of that pressure is also on Keenum, too and on the whole, they aren’t bad. they’re just average, maybe above average if fully healthy. and that’s significant because that’s all the team needed to become a contender.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Silly Burrito posted:

Was he on the Vikings roster to start preseason?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Elephanthead posted:

Was he on the Vikings roster to start preseason?

No.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A3th3r posted:

the Minnesota Vikings are the most valuable team in the NFL right now, and they did it with an excellent offensive line and defensive line and an OK quarterback who looks a lot like Daunte Culpepper

They got dicked by Carolina a whole lot more than the final score shows and that highlights some pretty significant weaknesses imo. It's a weird year. I think this is the biggest case of rock paper scissors I've seen in a long while come playoffs.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

BlindSite posted:

They got dicked by Carolina a whole lot more than the final score shows and that highlights some pretty significant weaknesses imo. It's a weird year. I think this is the biggest case of rock paper scissors I've seen in a long while come playoffs.

If they lose in the playoffs, it's probably going to look a lot more like the loss to Detroit earlier in the year I think, especially if it's a home game - Keenum reverts to average backup quality and the offense struggles to score, final score ends up in the 17-13 area. Another example would be the Rams game - if Kupp doesn't fumble on the 1 yard line, it's pretty much tied the whole way and could be anyone's game at the end. The Panthers are a pretty unique matchup and it was the third game in a row on the road - one of the stories not really being talked about this year is how ridiculously good the Vikings defense has been at home, more than you would generally expect from home field advantage. They're allowing 12.8ppg at home and haven't yet had a team score over 20 on them (that also includes 3 touchdowns when they were ahead multiple scores late in the 4th quarter), whereas they're allowing 19ppg on the road (21.7 if you discount the Hundley Packers). It's not an opponent quality issue either, as they played both the Saints and Rams at home, though it was the pre-Kamara Saints. It's one of the reasons I still think the Eagles are the biggest threat to them even with Foles playing instead of Wentz, just because the defense has been so much less dominant on the road.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BlindSite posted:

Our starting center and left tackle did not play in that game

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Even with the Vikings C and LT, I think they're overrated by being propped up due to schedule. They got to play the NFC North and AFC North. Their only good one win of the year is versus the Rams.

I think the Rams and Saints are the class of the NFC (since Eagles are dead without Wentz).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

three posted:

Even with the Vikings C and LT, I think they're overrated by being propped up due to schedule. They got to play the NFC North and AFC North. Their only good one win of the year is versus the Rams.

I think the Rams and Saints are the class of the NFC (since Eagles are dead without Wentz).

They also beat the Falcons and Saints (who are admittedly better now but were still probably a good team).

The Panthers lost to those same Saints, and the Bears.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the bears beating three playoff teams is hysterical

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

three posted:

both those teams lost to the Vikings.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

the bears beating three playoff teams is hysterical

the real afc north champions

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 30, 2017

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

razorscooter posted:

the real afc north campions

The Steelers have 5 division wins, so no

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Steelers have 5 division wins, so no

Wins don't matter only losses, and the Bears have the tiebreaker

so depends on the Browns game.

Edit: Wait the Bears Swept I thought they lost one, crown em.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 29, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Bears should get the Steelers' playoff spot for sweeping the AFC North.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mega64 posted:

The Jaguars did the same thing and have a better record, so the Bears can have the 3 seed and the Jaguars will move up to the 2.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mega64 posted:

The Bears should try winning 12 games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Bears should try winning 12 games

Can’t play the AFC North every week

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Can’t play the AFC North every week

Oh well, the Steelers beat the Vikings, Green Bay and the Lions in the Bears division too, so maybe they should win some in their own division as well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Oh well, the Steelers beat the Vikings, Green Bay and the Lions in the Bears division too, so maybe they should win some in their own division as well

Sure if you want it

Can’t see why tho

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Oh well, the Steelers beat the Vikings (in the one game their QB turned up lame on game day and Keenum had to go in cold), Green Bay (without Rodgers)and the Lions in the Bears division too, so maybe they should win some in their own division as well

Full disclosure makes the Steelers' achievement feel slightly less impressive

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ehhhh, Martavis Bryant had a pretty good game, Juju laid Harrison Smith on his rear end, and put up the better part of 30 on what would eventually prove to be the season's best defense. The Steelers defense held Dalvin Cook to like 60 yards, Thielen and Diggs did basically nothing and held the Vikes to 3 FGs and no TDs. The Green Bay game was Hundley's best game, even if it wasn't the Steelers' best, and AB put on a clinic on national t.v.

Not nearly as dire as you paint it

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
the thielen/diggs thing is pretty closely correlated to the QB part, tho. still, everything you said is true yet a rematch wouldnt necessarily be a given to favor the Steelers.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

the thielen/diggs thing is pretty closely correlated to the QB part, tho. still, everything you said is true yet a rematch wouldnt necessarily be a given to favor the Steelers.

That's true, bu the Steelers offense hadn't even started to function as a unit for another 7 weeks after that game. The Steelers defense is worse by a lot without Shazier, but their offense is reaching its peak now

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
yeah, i expect Bell to be a bigger a factor and for Ben to be more accurate. similarly, the Case Keenum-led offense is in a different place and the player the Steelers exploited the most (Trae Waynes) has improved a ton throughout the season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/945054299423375361

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, lets also do full disclosure on the Browns, Bengals, and Ravens this year...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean the whole joke is the Bears themselves are a bad team.

It wouldn't be funny if they were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Every team is extremely bad and all the wins and losses were coin flips. Games that end 20-0 or 33-7 could easily go the other way depending on the wind or any number of factors. It's, as well, scripted, joe Flacco is elite, the football player from a popular film is being referenced atm as if he were a real person, Big ben does not have a shockingly sensitive and whiny personality, I love my cut off genital. Editing this to say Hue Jackson, and an apology for posting in the wrong thread. I thought this was the one about the general NFL day to day.

• Locked thread