Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

Okay, well Willa is a "fake leftist" according to you because she criticizes the Democratic party

criticized it with a coherent factually correct list of reasons. Not a bunch of weird conspiracy theories and attacks. I would bet she even is a democrat and votes in primaries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

criticized it with a coherent factually correct list of reasons. Not a bunch of weird conspiracy theories and attacks. I would bet she even is a democrat and votes in primaries!

God, you're so loving dense.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

God, you're so loving dense.

The democrats are coming from inside your house

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So do you agree with Willa Rogers' criticisms of the Democratic Party, or not.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The democrats are coming from inside your house

And you'll go through life, happily content to yell at people who demand better things out of life, so assured in your rightness in the truth that the Democrats are the Good Guys and better things aren't possible.

The very model of a modern major Democrat.

VitalSigns posted:

So do you agree with Willa Rogers' criticisms of the Democratic Party, or not.

"I only agree with smart criticisms, but don't actually agree with the logical conclusions of those criticisms"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Because not all Democrats

Which ones helped Corbyn, and how representative would you say Obama is of democrats

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

And you'll go through life, happily content to yell at people who demand better things out of life, so assured in your rightness in the truth that the Democrats are the Good Guys and better things aren't possible.

The very model of a modern major Democrat.

You saying you aren’t a Democrat and don’t vote democratic and don’t participate in primaries? Or are you saying you are a democrat but somehow secretly you winked when you signed up so it doesn’t quite count?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone who, given any other option, self identifies as a Democrat, should be hanged.

Republicans should be shot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You saying you aren’t a Democrat and don’t vote democratic and don’t participate in primaries? Or are you saying you are a democrat but somehow secretly you winked when you signed up so it doesn’t quite count?

I'm a registered Democrat, I voted for Democrats in 2016. Ironically, I did not participate in the primary because at the time I was perfectly happy with either Hillary or Bernie winning.

Am I allowed to criticize the Dems for being bad or have I failed to meet your purity test?

More importantly, do you actually agree with Willa's points or are you just saying "this is good criticism" as a way of not actually dealing with her argument you spineless gently caress?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Democratic Party lost shitloads of seats in 1966 after pushing through the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, Medicare, and Medicaid.

The Democratic Party today is so afraid of losing seats and losing power that they don't bother trying to do anything bold that would actually help people when they are in the majority, just watered down half-measures that only barely make things better.

Its worth noting that the Democratic Party lost that election because of their invasion of South Vietnam, not because of the VRA, Medicaid, etc

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
For the record I’m registered as a Democrat and I’ve voted in every election since I turned 18.

I voted in the 2016 Primary for Bernie and the 2016 General for Hillary.

But I don’t “identify” as a Democrat because the Democratic Party’s voter coalition is so goddamn broad that it’s ultimately meaningless as a form of personal identity.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I said I liked your sort of criticism? Since it had meaningful criticism about specific things in actual presented policies?

I don't give a flying gently caress if you liked my criticism; I'm bothered by your lazy, dumb, reactive arguments based on nothing but Dem-fed lies to deflect attention from meaningful healthcare reform.

Did you read the link I provided about your beloved public option? Here's the gist of it:

quote:

What would a public option do, for example, for the 28.6 million US residents who are uninsured? According to the Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) 2013 scoring of a public option added to the ACA marketplaces, the answer is nothing: the public option, the CBO estimated, “would have minimal effects . . . on the number of people who would be uninsured.”

The goal of single-payer is to reduce that 28.6 million figure to zero; under the public option — at least according to this admittedly old CBO score of one particular variation of the public option — the number wouldn’t so much as budge. Perhaps a more ambitious public option could do a bit better. Nonetheless, it’s not clear that even a more robust plan would be a step toward universal coverage.

And how about for the underinsured? The roughly half of the nation currently covered through their employer saw a 2016 deductible that was 300 percent higher than a decade ago. Such cost-shifting of health care costs to workers is a major cause of financial suffering, as well as deferred medical care. Yet the public option would do nothing for the great majority of these families.

As long as you and other Dems keep touting a non-solution like the public option to the healthcare crisis in which affordability precludes wellness--and since the ACA was passed, the number of Americans who defer seeking care because of out-of-pocket costs has steadily increased year after year--and keep making excuses rather than doing everything possible to work toward changing that system to a single-payer model (including putting relentless pressure on incumbent Dems), Dems will continue to lose voters and elections. It's in your best interests, if you want to see Democratiic majorities, to push them toward meaningful change instead of unconditionally stanning for them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not a Democrat but I usually vote in Democratic primaries for the best candidate. Then I vote for the best candidate in the general election, who most of the time is not a Democrat.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

The democrats were able to campaign on gay rights because groups like Code Pink held their feet to the fire on it. And in case you forgot, they were late as hell to the party on it. Obama didn't support gay marriage until 2012. In 2008 his campaign position was that marriage was between a man and a woman. In 2007 Barney Frank stabbed trans people in the back on ENDA and the democratic congress still wouldn't pass it when they had a majority.

So I say this as a lesbian woman who has fought for the right to get married to be afforded basic dignity.

And abortion rights have PP and NARAL to hold their feet to the fire on the issue, or else you'd bet they would backslide on abortion if it could get them votes, and in conservative districts they have.

The thing that first really soured me on the Democratic Party as a whole was their total inaction on gay rights during 2009-2010. They completely stonewalled gay activists for two whole years, doing everything they could to stall even on no-brainer issues...and then after they lost the election, they easily rushed DADT repeal through in just a week or two. It was almost like they'd been purposely sitting on it for some reason. And then of course Obama just so happened to "evolve" on gay marriage right in the middle of his reelection campaign. It certainly lent itself to a cynical view of the Dems' commitment to gay issues, that's for sure.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you loving serious? Your beef is that we aren't communicating through bullet points, listicles, and charts like some kind of Vox article? How about haikus?

Evil or evil
By malice or decorum
Shoot both at the Sun

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Iron Twinkie posted:

Are you loving serious? Your beef is that we aren't communicating through bullet points, listicles, and charts like some kind of Vox article? How about haikus?

Evil or evil
By malice or decorum
Shoot both at the Sun

:decorum: of the forum

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It helps to talk about lesser evils with specific examples of what defending the lesser evil looks like

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"I want single payer so I don't have to raise money for my insulin (which I need to live) on GoFundMe"
"Sir, your personal experiences are invaluable but ultimately worthless unless they're presented as a list of specific changes you would make to existing bills, or preferablay as a completely new bill that the Dems can push through congress. Vote blue!"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

large adult son posted:

"I want single payer so I don't have to raise money for my insulin (which I need to live) on GoFundMe"
"Sir, your personal experiences are invaluable but ultimately worthless unless they're presented as a list of specific changes you would make to existing bills, or preferablay as a completely new bill that the Dems can push through congress. Vote blue!"

"Sir, i think you would be better served if we fund the military for tens of billions of dollars more than they were asking for actually" - A democratic neoliberal technocrat.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mister Fister posted:

A democratic neoliberal technocrat.

I'm not going to beat the drum on the weird way people use the phrase neoliberal because whatever, close enough, but what do people even think "technocrat" is at this point? some weird "cell phones are bad and this has the word techno in it so it's bad"? Are people in this thread not technocrats? Like you are against climate scientists running climate stuff and economics experts setting economic policy and stuff? That seems really wild.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not going to beat the drum on the weird way people use the phrase neoliberal because whatever, close enough, but what do people even think "technocrat" is at this point? some weird "cell phones are bad and this has the word techno in it so it's bad"? Are people in this thread not technocrats? Like you are against climate scientists running climate stuff and economics experts setting economic policy and stuff? That seems really wild.

I think people in this thread would be very much against economic experts setting economic policy since the meaning of the phrase "economic expert" is flimsy at best. It might shock you that a lot of areas of governance aren't just math problems but moral/ethical problems that should be solved by experts but experts informed by an ideological perspective that you agree with, so policies like "trickle-down economics" and "lower taxes so job creators can create jobs" - both developed by "economic experts" - aren't deployed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Health insurance and pharmaceutical industry experts wrote the ACA, so you know it's the best, because they are the experts

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is “people shouldn’t know things about the things they set policy on” seriously a thing people consider a leftist value?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is “people shouldn’t know things about the things they set policy on” seriously a thing people consider a leftist value?

No try again

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

No try again

Several people in this thread have used the word “technocrat” as a negative. I can’t tell if anyone actually thinks that or if it’s just people not liking the word techno and not looking up what the word refers to.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

e: nvm

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Several people in this thread have used the word “technocrat” as a negative. I can’t tell if anyone actually thinks that or if it’s just people not liking the word techno and not looking up what the word refers to.

Which experts are listened to is highly subjective, and coincidentally when it comes to legislation that meaningfully interacts with corporate profits, the favored experts just so happen to have massive conflicts of interest or in the case of economics aren't expert at anything except bullshitting corporate propaganda.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Technocratic policies are when you get a bunch of establishment democrats and health insurance CEOs to come together and write this is lieu of an actual policy proposal:

quote:

The mission of United States of Care is to ensure that every single American has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income.

A new non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions that make health care better for everyone. United States of Care will help make it happen by working with Americans from across the country: patients and caregivers, advocates, physicians and other clinicians, policymakers, and business, civic, and religious leaders.

We must change the conversation and create a new narrative that puts health care over politics by redefining the goal in human, not political terms, and supporting a positive, practical, and lasting approach.

United States of Care’s principles are:

• Affordable Source of Care: Every American should have an affordable regular source of care for themselves and their families
  • Protection from Financial Devastation: All Americans should be protected from financial devastation because of illness or injury
  • Political and Economic Viability: Policies to achieve these aims must be fiscally responsible and win the political support needed to ensure long-term stability.

Our Work

United States of Care will gather and support the best ideas that achieve these aims — instead of being defined by a single specific policy solution or the defense of prior policies.

In 2018, United States of Care will focus on:

• Harnessing On-the-Ground Learning: Listening to personal stories and local experts and harnessing public opinion to shape policies that reflect the hopes and concerns of the majority of Americans who don’t want to be without the care they need.
  • Providing Policy Support: Providing resources and actionable approaches to state and federal policymakers, drawing on a wide range of expertise, facilitating stakeholder engagement, and connecting the dots between the interests of citizens and their elected representatives.
  • Developing New Ideas: Identifying and developing new solutions that make progress toward the principles of expanding access to affordable care.
  • Driving Real Change that improves the health and well being of Americans now and on a lasting basis.
In future years we hope to become a leading resource for effective solutions to expand access to care for Americans. We will aim to grow our footprint and work directly with policymakers and experts in states to build support from the public, develop best practice approaches, and shift our national culture to create lasting change.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Instant Sunrise posted:

Technocratic policies are when you get a bunch of establishment democrats and health insurance CEOs to come together and write this is lieu of an actual policy proposal:

A politician or ceo making a policy decision is literally the opposite of a technocrat.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A politician or ceo making a policy decision is literally the opposite of a technocrat.

The technocrats don't seem to agree.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

Which experts are listened to is highly subjective, and coincidentally when it comes to legislation that meaningfully interacts with corporate profits, the favored experts just so happen to have massive conflicts of interest or in the case of economics aren't expert at anything except bullshitting corporate propaganda.

while this is true a lot of the time too often ideologues on both the left and the right has taken this to mean that things like "numbers" and "reality" doesn't matter and proceed to enact fringe policies which drives whatever they are managing off a cliff

i.e Boris Johnson's "people had enough of experts" prior to brexit

Typo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 17, 2018

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I still want to know why there were democrats helping Theresa May in the UK over Corbyn, if they're supposed to be secret pragmatic leftists.

Because in the context of Europe, the Democratic party is somewhere on the far right.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Typo posted:

while this is true a lot of the time too often ideologues on both the left and the right has taken this to mean that things like "numbers" and "reality" doesn't matter and proceed to enact fringe policies which drives whatever they are managing off a cliff

But the thing is it's not that people have had "enough" of experts, its the fact that experts have been so commonly surprised by things that they should have seen coming that all trust has been eroded in the idea of expertise. I mean look at banks and bankers, every time there is a run or a variety of things start going wrong it turns out the warning signs have been in place for years but the people whose job it was to pay attention didn't because they could get more money in the short term and because they are experts they will never see the inside of a prison cell.

It becomes frustrating when you are significantly lower on the totem pole and you suddenly realise that the majority of people above you don't have a clue and "plans" are what people make instead of thinking.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Technocrats are a particular noxious breed of academic. Well bred, well credentialed, and utterly divorced from the context of the systems they deign to rule over. Having lived their whole lives in a protective layer of money, privilege, and the folds of their own rectum, that they have absolutely no reference point for the actual real world problems they are given the authority to solve. They're the type of well educated, dumb rear end in a top hat, freshly minted MBA that will try to apply six sigma to software development. In government, they are more interested making the organs of bureaucracy interact in interesting ways than actually helping people. They want the mother to prove she has skin in the game by solving their math problems, word puzzles, and riddles before she has a chance to save the life or her child and sole source of light in the miserable, ever present, crushing poverty of her life. They are the types that love lists, power point presentations, and charts and file peoples lived experiences under a back page labeled "externalities". They are the types that make me question whether I owe the tankies I've laughed at an apology and that the only thing that can solve these people and make them functioning members of society are Soviet style gulags and reeducation camps.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Iron Twinkie posted:

Technocrats are a particular noxious breed of academic. Well bred, well credentialed, and utterly divorced from the context of the systems they deign to rule over. Having lived their whole lives in a protective layer of money, privilege, and the folds of their own rectum, that they have absolutely no reference point for the actual real world problems they are given the authority to solve. They're the type of well educated, dumb rear end in a top hat, freshly minted MBA that will try to apply six sigma to software development. In government, they are more interested making the organs of bureaucracy interact in interesting ways than actually helping people. They want the mother to prove she has skin in the game by solving their math problems, word puzzles, and riddles before she has a chance to save the life or her child and sole source of light in the miserable, ever present, crushing poverty of her life. They are the types that love lists, power point presentations, and charts and file peoples lived experiences under a back page labeled "externalities". They are the types that make me question whether I owe the tankies I've laughed at an apology and that the only thing that can solve these people and make them functioning members of society are Soviet style gulags and reeducation camps.

Holyshit this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Typo posted:

The """experts""" who were (mis)managing the economy under New Dems, Republicans, Tories, and New Labour weren't expert at anything except using big words to shine the turd of neoliberal economic policy.

If you send fake experts out to con the people, they may not be informed enough to know that those so-called experts were just a front for your plutocratic ideology, but they notice when your experts drive the economy off a cliff and then rob the poor to bail out the rich.

If you don't want people to mistrust experts and flock to any old con man who at least tells them the truth that things are hosed up, maybe stop hoodwinking them with experts whose only expertise is parroting oligarch propaganda and insisting everything is fine when everyone outside of the richest 10% can see it's not?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Iron Twinkie posted:

freshly minted MBA

So like, specifically the opposite of someone who has experience or training in a field they are managing?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

What about setting up a think tank full of has-been establishment democrats, health insurance CEOs, and republicans who have tried their damndest to block meaningful health care reform to find a solution to health care that can be anything but single-payer?

These are people who have a vested interest in preventing meaningful change, surely we should consider them experts though?

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So like, specifically the opposite of someone who has experience or training in a field they are managing?

Yes, and the perfectly soft, smooth Ivy league graduates that make up the wonk and lanyard class are in this category as well. The actual experts are the people that have been on the receiving end of societies problems, not some disconnected, lofty academics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

The democrats were able to campaign on gay rights because groups like Code Pink held their feet to the fire on it. And in case you forgot, they were late as hell to the party on it. Obama didn't support gay marriage until 2012. In 2008 his campaign position was that marriage was between a man and a woman.
This is a really selective telling of what actually happened. Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed in 2010 and the DoJ declared DoMA unconstitutional in 2011. From early on, Obama's presidency was the most gay friendly presidency in the history of the United States. You're also ignoring that it was pretty much agreed upon that Obama was full of poo poo when he said he was against it in 2008. He had been in favor of gay marriage for over a decade at that point, and a lot of the word we heard after the fact was that he wanted to announce his support as POTUS even earlier.

But the most important thing to remember is that everyone went into 2008 thinking that W won 2004 because of gay marriage. That was the common wisdom and the amount of bans that were voted in were a good indication of that. The fact that California and New York both struggled to implement or not outright ban gay marriage was a sign of how perilous the topic was.

Obama played the loving game. He said he was against gay marriage with a wink to anyone who bothered to do their homework. He slowly and methodically dismantled federal discrimination against gays while not touching the state bans. He had his Vice-President act as a canary in the coal mine to clear the way. Then he announced.

There is a lot to criticize Obama for, but your original post is bullshit. Obama not only helped set the stage for a more gay friendly America, he completely neutered gay marriage as a reliable wedge issue for the Right. What Obama did for gays was one of the most decisive political victories in history.

• Locked thread