Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hey poo poo fsu is real fuckin bad yall

Hell yeah. Taggart may end up being quite a :greatgift: for the Gators if he can't fix that O-line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

dphi posted:

I remember Washington fans blaming a lot of the struggles on Jonathan Smith (even though the numbers you posted seem okay) but now it seems to all be directed at Browning.

To be fair last year and in every game so far this year Browning has tried to play hero ball and it really has not worked but at the same time our OL is the worst unit on the team by a wide margin (hmm that sounds familiar...). That said, the pick against Utah was loving inexcusable and Exhibit A for why we blame Browning.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Bachscore/status/1042463178939092992

This is my shocked face :geno:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

it's always the cover up that gets em

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Hell yeah. Taggart may end up being quite a :greatgift: for the Gators if he can't fix that O-line.

Taggart's teams almost always have a year or year and half rebuild at the start and then take off. He inherited a line that was already awful and then lost a few guys too injury on top of it. It's also a new system that's asking the QB to make different types of decisions than he had to under Jimbo. They're really bad this year but I don't think that means he was a bad hire or is doomed

Manoueverable posted:

To be fair last year and in every game so far this year Browning has tried to play hero ball and it really has not worked but at the same time our OL is the worst unit on the team by a wide margin (hmm that sounds familiar...). That said, the pick against Utah was loving inexcusable and Exhibit A for why we blame Browning.

I think he's good generally but there's always one of two decisions a game that are just completely baffling

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

Taggart's teams almost always have a year or year and half rebuild at the start and then take off.

I mean, I don't know if a sample size of 2 is enough to say that that's his M.O.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Well they better give Middle Tennessee the death penalty for this. drat shame.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

I mean, I don't know if a sample size of 2 is enough to say that that's his M.O.

It's a way bigger sample than the 3 games he's had at FSU that are causing people to freak out

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

It's a way bigger sample than the 3 games he's had at FSU that are causing people to freak out

To be fair these are not your normal three sub-par games with a new coach. These are three godawfully abysmal games.

But yeah it's not like he shouldn't get a chance to build the program for at least a little while so all anyone is doing now is getting in early so they can say I told you so if he does flame out.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Taggart's teams almost always have a year or year and half rebuild at the start and then take off. He inherited a line that was already awful and then lost a few guys too injury on top of it. It's also a new system that's asking the QB to make different types of decisions than he had to under Jimbo. They're really bad this year but I don't think that means he was a bad hire or is doomed

Lou Holtz went 0-11 in his first year in South Carolina. Obviously a good head coach can stink it up in year one. That being said, if Taggart wants to go 2-10 for the next few years I won't stand in the way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I feel like Florida will still find a way to lose to FSU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dphi posted:

Alright, we'll wait 25 years for him to coach for 6 more teams before we make any judgments about Taggert's MO

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Stats goons saving us from ourselves

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, maybe more like next week. At least we'll know more after Georgia, that's the first defense that's not completely poo poo they'll have played.

If Georgia shuts them down it could just be because they're really good (although Missouri likes to think they shouldn't be shut down by anyone this year), so I guess we'll know even more after SCar in October.

e: Oh I should point out because it's Derek Dooley that yeah, I agree he's been fine so far. The offense hasn't totally devolved into something that doesn't work at all against anyone, which I did consider an actual possibility.

I say next year because he'll be without Lock. I always figured the offense would be fine this year regardless of who they hired, just because they were bringing back so much.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, we'll wait 25 years for him to coach for 6 more teams before we make any judgments about Taggert's MO

Okay? It's just weird to say he almost always had a year of rebuild before taking off when he's only been at two schools for more than a year. It probably won't take 25 years to figure out but I'd at least wait to see how this FSU gig goes.

And lol if I'm being called a stat goon, I can barely use Excel

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

Okay? It's just weird to say he almost always had a year of rebuild before taking off when he's only been at two schools for more than a year. It probably won't take 25 years to figure out but I'd at least wait to see how this FSU gig goes.

And lol if I'm being called a stat goon, I can barely use Excel

I'm just saying there are reasons to be optimistic long term even with a bad start. I didn't say he was a lock to win the 2022 national title or something

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Excel is loving easy to use lol

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

Excel is loving easy to use lol

The stats goon was you all along

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

dphi posted:

Pretty sure you gotta use R these days before you can think about being called a stats guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
PSA: There are three Friday games on the Yahoo Pick 'Em this week, don't forget to get them done before then.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

dphi posted:

don't @ me unless your p value is statistically significant ;)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

dphi posted:

:smith: I do stats work a lot in my day job and I use python to do it. I am the stats goon and the worst.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah it's kind of fair to call out Browning for making at least 1 inexcusably bad decision per game, but overall he's still a really good college quarterback and I'm happy to have him.

But whenever the Huskies lose, the fans I'm around all seem to put the blame squarely on him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/danluceroshow/status/1042450910788689921

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah it's kind of fair to call out Browning for making at least 1 inexcusably bad decision per game, but overall he's still a really good college quarterback and I'm happy to have him.

But whenever the Huskies lose, the fans I'm around all seem to put the blame squarely on him.

How many years does Browning have left? Eason is taking his redshirt year this year, but after that, is it his job to win?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

How many years does Browning have left? Eason is taking his redshirt year this year, but after that, is it his job to win?

It's his last year, Washington has some highly rated QBs behind him, will be interesting to see who wins out and who transfers.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

dphi posted:

It's his last year, Washington has some highly rated QBs behind him, will be interesting to see who wins out and who transfers.

Yeah. I'm a little worried about the lack of highly-ranked talent coming into UW at a lot of positions, but the team has a nice stockpile of potentially great QBs.

OTOH the DL always seems to over perform relative to the ranking of the recruits so who knows.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

don't @ me unless your p value is statistically significant ;)

don't talk to me about statistical significance unless you're dealing with a random sample and not population-level data <:mad:>

(I have to explain this poo poo almost weekly at work)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
scarf are you a p hacker

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

vikingstrike posted:

scarf are you a p hacker

im a fuckin p artist

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah. I'm a little worried about the lack of highly-ranked talent coming into UW at a lot of positions, but the team has a nice stockpile of potentially great QBs.

OTOH the DL always seems to over perform relative to the ranking of the recruits so who knows.

At least you aren't Cal.

In other news, with Cal being 3-0 and BYU beating Wisconsin I am now doing the thing I do every year at this time, i.e., getting excited about Cal football even though I know better. We have ascended to the lofty rank of an "other receiving votes" in the poll. I should be happy, because it will not get better than this.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm definitely concerned about playing BYU with the way Washington's been so far. I think I know the answer to the question already, but is BYU still dirty as hell?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

don't talk to me about statistical significance unless you're dealing with a random sample and not population-level data <:mad:>

(I have to explain this poo poo almost weekly at work)

i really know enough about statistics to do some for research but not enough to really do anything actually with it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

i really know enough about statistics to do some for research but not enough to really do anything actually with it.

Wait ppl actually do things with statistics? I thought the whole point of statistics was to point things out but never do anything about them.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Scarf posted:

I thought the whole point of statistics was to point things out but never do anything about them.

you're thinking of the NCAA :mmmhmm:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow impressive game film of the northwestern-akron game

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

Wait ppl actually do things with statistics? I thought the whole point of statistics was to point things out but never do anything about them.

Yeah in academic research (which is the only place I interact with them) we use a bit of stats, like ANOVA tests and a few others that get used pretty regularly.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow impressive game film of the northwestern-akron game

It was a performance art piece, depicting the Nebraska Cornhuskers season

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/MattSmithCFB/status/1042212446797262849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

lol, how?

• Locked thread