Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

friendly 2 da void posted:

It's weird how slanted the national narrative is against the democrats. Here's an angle that I don't see enough of:

The democrats won the House for the first time since 2010. The Tea Party is loving over.

Like forget Trump for a minute, the house has been a disaster since Obama. That's all changing now.

For the first time in nearly a decade, the House Science Committee will be lead by a person who actually believes in climate science. Somethings happening yall :getin:

This is a good take I hadn't considered. Crazy how long it's been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Also, I know everybody is sad about Beto and Gillum, I'm sad too but today is for doing the god drat macarena on one particular political grave

Junior G-man posted:

GET

hosed

SCOTT

WALKER

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the tea party is over because the tea party is now in control of all the country's major levers of power, most likely indefinitely

the rightward shift they pushed for was completed and then some, of course the organization itself would dissipate

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

CmdrRiker posted:

Back when I was young and naive I was rooting for Trump to win the GOP nomination because I thought there was no way in hell anyone would actually vote for him on election day. I learned a lot since then.

Ehh, I grew up close enough to NYC that I've always been fairly aware of how trash he is

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s looking very likely that Tester holds his seat and that is a very very big break for the Democrats.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

for anyone curious about subpoena power issues, here's a great read about how House Republicans successfully won cases allowing them to subpoena a ton of political documents then spent this year furiously trying to get the judge to take back her holding once they realized they'd be losing power

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1060195800062590976

they literally 'settled' with the Trump administration with a precondition that Amy Berman Jackson say that her old holding is no longer valid lol

she was not happy about it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AlBlaybleCharacter posted:

If I make appropriate adjustments to the av it will be recognizable. I'm already sunk cost on the name

I really think you should switch back. Have you seen Clerks 2? You're trying to "reclaim" "NPC." It won't work, and if a bunch of folks get vaguely-interchangeable NPC avatars and keep them, it'll end up furthering right-wing messaging.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tibalt posted:

Funny how The Bringer Of Derails survived and voted for Bart while Heidi lost.

The WV and ND race are very different situations and drawing some national strategy from it is pointless

Bredesen's "Taylor Swift Sez: Vote Judge Kavanaugh" approach getting mercilessly curb-stomped will hopefully be a lesson on-par with Jon Ossof

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

Funny how The Bringer Of Derails survived and voted for Bart while Heidi lost.

The WV and ND race are very different situations and drawing some national strategy from it is pointless

They're very different races, but I think it's important to look at why Manchin, Tester (potentially) and Brown (people keep forgetting him but I think he's the most important to look at because he just crushed it while being a pretty solidly good Democrat) cruised to re-election while their states stayed solidly red, but McCaskill/Hetikamp/Donnelly lost, mostly pretty badly.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Someone up thread asked if GOP Senators would block all Dem SCOTUS nominees in 2020. McCain and others promised they would do so if Clinton won in '16.

They 100% will. They already said they would.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

We obviously convinced some of them, otherwise Sherrod Brown wouldn't have won in Ohio while Mike DeWine won the governorship.

Well, that did require Sherrod Brown supporting an unpopular position (Trump's steel tariffs) AND the GOP running an absolutely terrible candidate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

for anyone curious about subpoena power issues, here's a great read about how House Republicans successfully won cases allowing them to subpoena a ton of political documents then spent this year furiously trying to get the judge to take back her holding once they realized they'd be losing power

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1060195800062590976

they literally 'settled' with the Trump administration with a precondition that Amy Berman Jackson say that her old holding is no longer valid lol

she was not happy about it

well thats good news.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Someone up thread asked if GOP Senators would block all Dem SCOTUS nominees in 2020. McCain and others promised they would do so if Clinton won in '16.

They 100% will. They already said they would.

they would have anyway. at best last night we would have broke even with them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

They're very different races, but I think it's important to look at why Manchin, Tester (potentially) and Brown (people keep forgetting him but I think he's the most important to look at because he just crushed it while being a pretty solidly good Democrat) cruised to re-election while their states stayed solidly red, but McCaskill/Hetikamp/Donnelly lost, mostly pretty badly.

I don't know enough about the losing candidates to say why they lost but I think a perception of authenticity helped all of the winning ones.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Long live the new flesh!

I am pretty pumped. Looking forward to Benghazi 2.0.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I want so badly to unclench, let my guard down...

just for a moment

surely this will go unpunished if I do...

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Loving all the posts with friends in rural NV about daggum Washoe and Clark counties deciding everything. No poo poo? That's where the people live. Sorry the 9k people in Churchill who split 7k-R/2k-D don't override the ~170k votes in Washoe and ~600k votes in Clark.

Now imagine if your candidate won the popular vote and still lost :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

We obviously convinced some of them, otherwise Sherrod Brown wouldn't have won in Ohio while Mike DeWine won the governorship.

I think looking at Brown and figuring out how he did what he did is the most important lesson of this election. Because not only did he cruise to re-election, it was never really in doubt.

I kinda wanted Brown to run in 2020 (though for some reason he has never seemed interested) but now that OH has a Republican governor I don't think you can afford to give up the seat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1060196252523130880?s=19

This is good for Bitcoin the GOP

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 7, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gotta spin!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

looking forward to the subpoenaed documents into this fiasco too

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1060201784055160832

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The electorate breaking D+9 is great news FOR REPUBLICANS LOL

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

evilweasel posted:

I think looking at Brown and figuring out how he did what he did is the most important lesson of this election. Because not only did he cruise to re-election, it was never really in doubt.

I kinda wanted Brown to run in 2020 (though for some reason he has never seemed interested) but now that OH has a Republican governor I don't think you can afford to give up the seat.

Klobuchar also way outperformed in rural regions and among voters who should, by all rights, have gone to Trump. I think she and Brown have a lot in common.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chard posted:

I want so badly to unclench, let my guard down...

just for a moment

surely this will go unpunished if I do...

i would to an extent. the senate loss sucks but it shows we have the raw numbers out there when 2020 rolls around for trump so it might be even bigger turn outs. we have the house and they will do investigations. we had a ton of wins for the left and minorities of all stripes. some red states got redder. but blue dogs lost badly so the partisan divide is fortifying.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

evilweasel posted:

Oh, absolutely. But saying "gently caress Blue Dogs, full communism in ND now" is just as helpful as saying "All Blue Dogs All Of Them, can we get Flake to run against Kyl?!?"

the truth... Is in the middle of this 12 page document on potential candidates and strategies for the AZ race

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BROWN MAN BAD

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I don't think you can really draw conclusions from long-term incumbents holding on in red states. Red state voters are authoritarians and white, male, long term incumbents are Authority. I mean maybe there's a better reason in the data but I suspect that's the root of it. McCaskill and Heitkamp don't check all those boxes, just some of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Much better.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Trump presser in like 20 minutes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

sean10mm posted:

The electorate breaking D+9 is great news FOR REPUBLICANS LOL

:same:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1060201592106835968

Otherwise known as 'hearings into obvious crimes'.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Solkanar512 posted:

Take a drink every time he says the word "obstruction"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really think you should switch back. Have you seen Clerks 2? You're trying to "reclaim" "NPC." It won't work, and if a bunch of folks get vaguely-interchangeable NPC avatars and keep them, it'll end up furthering right-wing messaging.

Yeah I'm trying to be a good sport but you're right. I'll go with what I was originally going to do this month

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Junior G-man posted:

GET

hosed

SCOTT

WALKER

Yeah this. Thank goodness Wisconsin finally pulled their poo poo together

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can the House do any kind of investigation into potential voter fraud/illegal disenfranchisement in Georgia and Florida?

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

the tea party is over because the tea party is now in control of all the country's major levers of power, most likely indefinitely

the rightward shift they pushed for was completed and then some, of course the organization itself would dissipate

I feel like this would have been a way better take if Dave Brat, the actual real-life herald of the Tea Party, the Trumpist OG candidate who ran on Pure Trump Forever, hadn't lost his seat to an explicitly progressive anti-Trump candidate less than 24 hours ago.

"The rightward shift they pushed for was completed" -- a native american lesbian just smashed a republican incumbent in Kansas. She wasn't running to the right of him.

Also, the tea party is not "in control of all the country's major level of power", that's just pure disinformation. Is your commitment to despair so strong that you've contorted yourself into believing that the House of Representatives does not represent a major level of power?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ Preach, comrade.

eke out posted:

looking forward to the subpoenaed documents into this fiasco too

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1060201784055160832

``Troops instead are expected to call the deployment of nearly 8,000 active-duty troops along three border states by phrases such as “in Support of Orange-faced Baboon” or “in Shitface We Trust” the officials said.``

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Solkanar512 posted:

We all know what hes gonna say.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Martian posted:

Can the House do any kind of investigation into potential voter fraud/illegal disenfranchisement in Georgia and Florida?

Probably! Congress has broad power to regulate elections (for federal offices, at least), and what you can regulate, you can investigate.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CuddleCryptid posted:

Take a drink every time he says the word "obstruction"

That’s a pretty big word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A 9 point win is a wave. You can’t spin that. It’s the largest margin of victory in a midterm since the 70s. It’s just that our Senate system is broken because of the Red States. But we broke through the gerrymandering and picked up crucial governships. Trust me, if we had pulled it out in Florida people would be feeling a whole lot different about everything.