Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I only hate the new CO system because I can’t jam out to rock music while plowing through armies with my supercharged troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Time to get started then. As someone who has played literally one online quick play map I am well qualified to recommend sweeping balance changes.

But seriously, are the quick play maps all symmetrical like the one I played? Sounds like the best strategy is to abort the game if you aren't 1P.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Better maps give the second player a small starting advantage to even it out, usually an extra swordsman, but even then player 1 tends to have a noteworthy advantage yes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
let's talk about the actually important stuff; is Nuru/Ragna the most powerful ship

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I will also accept Nuru/Sigrid as a candidate

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
archers might need a buff. 500 is a lot of gold for a unit with 3 squares of movement. spearmen are overated. game needs a replay function for pvp games!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
epilogue needs to be removed from the game and thrown into a volcano

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Slaapaav posted:

archers might need a buff. 500 is a lot of gold for a unit with 3 squares of movement. spearmen are overated. game needs a replay function for pvp games!

:wrong:

archers do need a buff, maybe. Maybe just a bonus to being able to walk over any terrain except ocean without penalties or something.

also I see the trend is continuing of caesar inexplicably getting the hardest missions because dear god fighting upstream against all of these bandit knights is like punching my own balls for fun

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oh wow, seems like there’s an issue with the online multiplayer clock where you’ll sometimes get far less time than usual on your turns. This would explain what happened to me last game. I’ll stick to Campaign until that one’s fixed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, like, the last two missions, huh. Yikes.

Guess I'm spoiler taggin' this.

I kinda liked 7-2... with some qualifications. I think it's kinda a questionable fit for the game overall, even when compared to some of the other (good!) missions in which you keep a relatively small team alive against a protracted horde of enemies. I think its biggest problem is that it doesn't warn you about or explain its central gimmick. The first time playing through, I thought Koji complaining about music in his head was just flavour, and, well, Valder was on the back lines on 1HP, so that was that. The second time I backed him away, but then he went and used Sparrow Bombs and that was that again. Once you know how this gimmick works, and know that your possessed teammates will preferably just punch someone during their action, and that it all stops when you get near Elodie, it's pretty okay, honestly. I did enjoy the novelty of having a team of seven commanders and having all of their grooves to play with.

The epilogue, on the other hand, is just awful. For one, it's far too goddamn long. I was entirely prepared to believe I could make it more bearable by playing better but I beat it for the first time in 43 turns and got an A-rank, so no, this is actually how this is supposed to work. For another, again, I would have appreciated some loving warning about Dark Mercia's groove not being a copy of Mercia's, though, and the fact that it heals her to full is just not reasonable. The mission in Valder's castle was one thing but predeployed maps on this kind of scale, with this length, against this level of resistance, is just too much. I'll give them this; if they were attempting to evoke the dread and revulsion most people felt about Rivals! (ac), then they have succeeded.

I don't know how I feel about how there aren't enough stars available in the campaign to unlock the epilogue. Puzzle mode is nifty. I haven't played Arcade yet.

Game's good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

skaianDestiny posted:

Unlike Advance Wars, this game can have balance updates.

So if you whine enough I'm sure they'll make the changes you want.

puzzle mode means probably not, no

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they can change unit costs without having to change puzzle mode

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I enjoy this game a lot and hope it gets a sequel.

While the points that darealkooky makes are valid, they don't stop me from greatly enjoying the game. I guess that speaks more about the lack of games like it than the quality of this one.

I still fuckin' love it though and hope they give commanders a passive so they play more differently than the current batch. Nuru is too fuckin' good atm so i'm just like "...why not just always play her?"

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

When you say not enough stars in the campaign does that include the side missions? If so, is there some other way to get stars?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The number of competitive players for AW could probably be counted on one hand, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the devs weren’t super aware of the myriad ways in which AW was broken. Although they apparently accounted for FTA in multiplayer maps, so that’s at least more awareness than Intelligent Systems?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

AweStriker posted:

When you say not enough stars in the campaign does that include the side missions? If so, is there some other way to get stars?

Puzzle gives one each, arcane gives a bundle. A bonus mission of the campaign needs 100 stars, while another bonus needs 151. The second bonus is also where Caesar's statues come into play.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Archers are a little odd. Like, artillery are already one of the strongest units in Advance Wars and you'd think one that could move and shoot and counterattack and capture would be insane. And sometimes they can be! (AI archers in particular rub me up the wrong way) But something's gone wrong somewhere.

It might be the cost. In a game where so many units are way cheaper than their Wars World counterparts (and still considerably cheaper than their Days of Ruin ones), archers are 5/6 of their equivalent unit.

It might also be the power - one of the most notable things about artillery was their effectiveness as a medium tank counter, and archers just can't do that against giants to the same degree. They can do some counterattack-free chip damage to soften them up, but ballistas can do that part just as well while also having a massive range and devastating AA capability. And pound for pound the bulk of the work in taking down a giant is gonna come down to, yeah, spearmen and mages and your Commander.

Mages, like spearmen, seem way too good right now. AA at half the (Wars World) price with more general functionality? Sign me up! Maybe swap the price of archers and mages, the way people have suggested swapping the price of spearmen and dogs?

Alternative (or possibly independent) idea: boost the crit power of archers so they get more of a bonus for playing like regular artillery and can do something more against giants. Nerf their effectiveness against soldiers at the same time to keep that balanced, perhaps.

Ballistas need something to keep them in check, too. Make them more expensive than Trebuchets, maybe? Who'd've thought letting them do chip damage against ground would alter the balance so much!

This is all ramblings from someone who hasn't tried PvP Wargroove yet and honestly didn't play a lot of AW PvP, so take it with a pinch of salt I guess. But :justpost: and all that.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I just like that I can play against my friends without emailing emulator savestates or putting up with AWBW constantly breaking

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any tips for Act 3 Side 1? It's the Ceasar mission where you're inside a "castle" and need to protect the villagers. It's kicking my butt :(

e; Finally beat it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 10, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Paul.Power posted:

Mages, like spearmen, seem way too good right now. AA at half the (Wars World) price with more general functionality? Sign me up! Maybe swap the price of archers and mages, the way people have suggested swapping the price of spearmen and dogs?

The problem is that they made a lengthy campaign that is difficult enough already. I think if they nerf mages significantly without changing anything else 5-1 will become impossible (for instance).

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Such a deceptively deep game for something that looks like a 8-12 year old's kids graphics. Reminds me a lot of chess.

I'm stuck on Act 3 Side 1, "puppy in the middle". What should I be building to outlast all these waves of bandits? I mean cmon jesus. I can only get to about round 14 before I get wiped.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I would like aeronauts to not feel kinda... useless, tho.

they don't seem worth the decent cost for their relatively slow speed. (Six move is nice but you can't put them in a wagon or anything and not-airports are usually in the back.)

they also don't actually hurt that much even when critting. it's usually a free attack but still it's a unit that gets hard countered by three semi-common units, all of which are within 200 gold of it I expect results, bird

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

Such a deceptively deep game for something that looks like a 8-12 year old's kids graphics. Reminds me a lot of chess.

I'm stuck on Act 3 Side 1, "puppy in the middle". What should I be building to outlast all these waves of bandits? I mean cmon jesus. I can only get to about round 14 before I get wiped.

Haha I just posted saying I was struggling with this.

What I ended up doing is blitz the surrounding buildings, then basically forget them because you will lose too many troops trying to secure them.

Save up for Trebuchet & Ballista, get good coverage for the north wall. South East and South West are comparatively easy to defend.

I probably had 2 of each, and a bunch of Swordmen and Mages

You definitely want to just turtle, make them engage in your terms.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 10, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

I would like aeronauts to not feel kinda... useless, tho.

they don't seem worth the decent cost for their relatively slow speed. (Six move is nice but you can't put them in a wagon or anything and not-airports are usually in the back.)

they also don't actually hurt that much even when critting. it's usually a free attack but still it's a unit that gets hard countered by three semi-common units, all of which are within 200 gold of it I expect results, bird

It's not even 6 move, just 5. Their crit condition is very limited and situational, too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Can hex kill units or does it just set them to like 1% hp minimum?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Can hex kill units or does it just set them to like 1% hp minimum?

It can kill them, but sometimes the little 1 actually means like 14% and then it won’t kill them

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I just beat puzzle #15 (Storming the Keep) and I am loving furious

Nowhere in the campaign is it stated that Nuru can summon units other than ground units depending on what properties she owns. In retrospect I guess this was supposed to be a part of Act 6 Map 1 but I didn’t realise it then either because I already assumed she could only summon ground units and she wound up spending most of that map on a barge. And I went into the Puzzle and it actually did occur to me, holy poo poo, can she summon naval units and I immediately tried it and found, no, wait, actually she can’t, silly me, that would just be completely loving ridiculous. So I then spent two goddamn hours trying to figure out some way to get some use out of the units on the lower half of the map. And of course I wondered why there was a Port there, when obviously it’s useless, right? I can’t even recall what finally drove me to try capturing it and checking Nuru’s list again, but something did, and mostly I was just angry, because I had immediately figured out the key gambit of the puzzle and then been shown by the game that it wasn’t possible. This is one of the most insidious puzzle design traps you can have in a game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Fedule posted:

I just beat puzzle #15 (Storming the Keep) and I am loving furious

Nowhere in the campaign is it stated that Nuru can summon units other than ground units depending on what properties she owns. In retrospect I guess this was supposed to be a part of Act 6 Map 1 but I didn’t realise it then either because I already assumed she could only summon ground units and she wound up spending most of that map on a barge. And I went into the Puzzle and it actually did occur to me, holy poo poo, can she summon naval units and I immediately tried it and found, no, wait, actually she can’t, silly me, that would just be completely loving ridiculous. So I then spent two goddamn hours trying to figure out some way to get some use out of the units on the lower half of the map. And of course I wondered why there was a Port there, when obviously it’s useless, right? I can’t even recall what finally drove me to try capturing it and checking Nuru’s list again, but something did, and mostly I was just angry, because I had immediately figured out the key gambit of the puzzle and then been shown by the game that it wasn’t possible. This is one of the most insidious puzzle design traps you can have in a game.
To be fair, you probably could have noticed this during Act 3 Mission 3, where Nuru starts with only towers as production facilities so Leafwings and Swoopers are at the top of the list of her things she can deploy with her power. I can't remember if she can deploy ground units with her power before you capture a barracks there, though.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 11, 2019

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Paul.Power posted:

To be fair, you probably could have noticed this during Act 3 Mission 3, where Nuru starts with only towers as production facilities so Leafwings and Swoopers are at the top of the list of her things she can deploy with her power. I can't remember if she can deploy ground units with her power before you capture a barracks there, though.

The more relevant thing is it's very unlikely for you to charge her CO power before capturing the rax.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Fighting tooth and nail to survive Caesar's second side mission only to miss the S-rank by one turn thanks to a single enemy archer hanging out on the far side of the map. :suicide:

Least I finally earned Nuru's friendship in five turns. If you need a hint, bait her troops by having Mercia all by her lonesome near the upper left corner while your own troops (specifically your archer and pikemen) stand just offside. Tank, pick off (with criticals), and heal as necessary.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

phew boy 7-2 is some fun poo poo when there's absolutely no saves or checkpoints of any kind

gently caress you, enemy commander and trebutchet

edit: i set groove charge to maximum and made an army of 20 soldiers

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 12, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

There's a fun bug right now where if you exit and continue the map while 7-2's main gimmick is going on the enemy turn, you'll have a copy of the enemy commander effectively spawn in the middle of your army and you can win in 3 turns. No such luck for epilogue though.
vvv
Just press escape during the enemy's turn and it lets you exit from there, maybe it doesn't work on consoles?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 12, 2019

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How do you exit during the enemy's turn? it won't let you pause.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

How do you exit during the enemy's turn? it won't let you pause.

actually it does

but you have to hit esc/start-I-assume

or you can just close out, probably

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

yea i'm playing on switch, i'll try closing it from the home menu but i'm not holding my breath

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ignite Memories posted:

yea i'm playing on switch, i'll try closing it from the home menu but i'm not holding my breath

Press plus. It keeps playing the same animation but it does pause.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Act 2 Side 2, is there some way to get the enemy CO to commit to a lane and actually take my bait? Dude just loves hopping up and down his side of the field without ever actually crossing over for the longest time. One time he went for the top, crossed the bridge, then IMMEDIATELY drew back and ran all the way down to the bottom where he crossed the bridge there. I don't recall doing anything in particular to scare him off; I already had a few forces massed up top when he was willing to cross the bridge the first time. I didn't even damage him.

Trying to S-rank as I go is probably not gonna prove viable for my long-term health in this game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What do grey squares indicate re: movement?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PantsBandit posted:

What do grey squares indicate re: movement?
Light stripey squares: can move to and fire on
Dark stripey squares: can move to but not fire on. Most notable with transports and units with range shadows, but there are a few other edge cases like when allies or buildings are blocking you from standing on square A so you can fire into square B, but will let you move to square B.
Light empty squares: can fire on but not move to.

They really should have had move range and fire range on separate buttons like AW.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Paul.Power posted:

Light stripey squares: can move to and fire on
Dark stripey squares: can move to but not fire on
Light empty squares: can fire on but not move to.

They really should have had move range and fire range on separate buttons like AW.

TY. I'm also curious, how bad is the penalty for losing units? It seems like sometimes the best strategy is to sacrifice a unit of swordsman or war puppers if it puts you in an advantageous situation, but I'm worried it's tanking my score.