Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm not sure I've seen this before. Got any examples?

John Oliver's show is 95% this schtick. One time he gave an example (of some law that was passed or something) and did the "analogy->graphic->acting it out" thing three times in a row.

I blame The Daily Show for really mainstreaming "applause jokes". They're not funny, but they are a statement of fact pointing out something stupid, so they get a nice clap instead of a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tumble posted:

My new favorite show is 'High Maintenance' on HBO, it's like if Louie were written by a person who is good and sees good in the world and people in general. It is a breath of fresh air and it's really interesting to see a show devoid of mean, sarcastic humor that celebrates diversity.

I like it even more because typing it out it seems like a lame show but most people I have recommended it to, even the ones who typically enjoy mean, sarcastic humor like the show a lot because it's just so nice.
Might as well.

Blistex posted:

John Oliver's show is 95% this schtick. One time he gave an example (of some law that was passed or something) and did the "analogy->graphic->acting it out" thing three times in a row.

I blame The Daily Show for really mainstreaming "applause jokes". They're not funny, but they are a statement of fact pointing out something stupid, so they get a nice clap instead of a laugh.
The Daily Show had some decent teeth in the early Bush years but even by 2003-4 the schtick was overbearing. Jon Stewart's nebbish voice is what plays in one of my personal hells. loving hack humor.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

e-dt posted:

everyone saying improv is correct but Home Movies is really good and its mostly improv (at least first season) so I assume it can be funny when not done by talentless hacks

The whole series is "retroscripted" where they have an outline of what's going on in the scene, and they have written jokes to fall back on, but they did a ton of ad libbing and usually the final scene would be pieced together from the best parts of multiple takes. Good comedy really can occur organically like that, but Home Movies edited out all the stuff that makes unadulterated improv so crappy

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Tumble posted:

My new favorite show is 'High Maintenance' on HBO, it's like if Louie were written by a person who is good and sees good in the world and people in general. It is a breath of fresh air and it's really interesting to see a show devoid of mean, sarcastic humor that celebrates diversity.

I like it even more because typing it out it seems like a lame show but most people I have recommended it to, even the ones who typically enjoy mean, sarcastic humor like the show a lot because it's just so nice.

So' s my dick.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mind the walrus posted:

The Daily Show had some decent teeth in the early Bush years but even by 2003-4 the schtick was overbearing. Jon Stewart's nebbish voice is what plays in one of my personal hells. loving hack humor.

<says something "edgy">
<tugs on collar and makes that loving "eh-heh" sound>
<audience goes bananas>

1999 to just before 911 was the best, because they could still get those interviews where people didn't know what was up.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
What if Lizzo's Truth Hurts was by Mumford & Sons? (ft. Nataly Dawn of Pomplamoose)

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

In TYOOL 2020 all possible silo'd humour has already been done and documented by the Internet, the only certified funny jokes are situational humour and parody (parody will be dead by the end of the year though)

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

You Are A Elf posted:

Stupid forced sexual innuendo that the person making it basically starts jabbing you in the ribs with their elbow going "Eeh? Eeeeh?? EEEEEEEEEH???" while raising and lowering their eyebrows with the :dadjoke: face.

That poo poo stopped being funny in 7th grade. It's the equivalent of typing out "58008" on a calculator and turning it upside down to read it.

I feel this one on a deep, personal level. I have an online buddy (voice chat) who ALWAYS loving finds a way to force innuendo. It's to the point you almost have to filter what you're about to say in case literally any of the words could be used in a sexual context.

Examples:

Me - "That seems like it'd be pretty hard though."
Friend - "I've got something HARD for you."

Me - "It's just up ahead through that hole in the wall"
Friend - "I'd like to get up in YOUR HOLE."

It's a group of like six of us who have known each other for like 15 years, and sure sometimes I get it because maybe one other person will laugh and encourage it. But for like, at least 8 years now I've been making a point to literally not laugh or say anything in response. And like, sometimes it's when only the two of us are online so we'll just be playing a game and then a ridiculously forced innuendo hits the floor and we just silently ride it out. I'd like to think if it was me, I'd maybe learn? I don't know.

Maybe it's good I typed this out. I feel like there will inevitably be a time where it just hits a nerve and I go on a 15 minute friendship-ending rant and maybe I've at least delayed that now.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Grimdude posted:

I feel this one on a deep, personal level. I have an online buddy (voice chat) who ALWAYS loving finds a way to force innuendo. It's to the point you almost have to filter what you're about to say in case literally any of the words could be used in a sexual context.

Examples:

Me - "That seems like it'd be pretty hard though."
Friend - "I've got something HARD for you."

Me - "It's just up ahead through that hole in the wall"
Friend - "I'd like to get up in YOUR HOLE."

It's a group of like six of us who have known each other for like 15 years, and sure sometimes I get it because maybe one other person will laugh and encourage it. But for like, at least 8 years now I've been making a point to literally not laugh or say anything in response. And like, sometimes it's when only the two of us are online so we'll just be playing a game and then a ridiculously forced innuendo hits the floor and we just silently ride it out. I'd like to think if it was me, I'd maybe learn? I don't know.

Maybe it's good I typed this out. I feel like there will inevitably be a time where it just hits a nerve and I go on a 15 minute friendship-ending rant and maybe I've at least delayed that now.

I'll force it in your endo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think your online buddy is hinting something dude.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Grimdude: "Bomb planted. I stuck it in the crevasse by the enemy's foxhole. Lets stop dicking around and get our asses out of here."

Buddy: "Hey man I think I need to come clean, we have been friends for a while but I've got deep feelings for you. Feelings of a physical and sexual nature, but they are so much deeper than that. I think this is what it feels like to be in love. I want to spend the rest of my days with you by my side Grimdude."

Grimdude: "Enough of the innuendo! Its not funny anymore!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The_Continental posted:

Grimdude: "Bomb planted. I stuck it in the crevasse by the enemy's foxhole. Lets stop dicking around and get our asses out of here."

Buddy: "Hey man I think I need to come clean, we have been friends for a while but I've got deep feelings for you. Feelings of a physical and sexual nature, but they are so much deeper than that. I think this is what it feels like to be in love. I want to spend the rest of my days with you by my side Grimdude."

Grimdude: "Enough of the innuendo! Its not funny anymore!"

I got something I want to put in you end o.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I got something I want to put in you end o.

Like Jimmy Pop said, I Brazilian wax poetic, so hypothetically I don't want to beat around the bush.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I dont know if it is hacky really but I hate the self-depricating stuff on Twitter, it is really contagious and unhealthy to normalize and ~meme~ that kind of stuff. People get worse from it and the intensity of it just seems to only escalate.

Also I am sure people have already said the heckin goodest boy doggo birb snek, Do All The Things! stuff, sometimes I think that is me being an old grump then I hear it outloud from people older than me.

Also the Haha people think coronavirus is from corona beer? What dumbasses!! anyway I hope this virus kills ___ lol!, idk a best friend just brought home a preemie baby and have been so worried about him that adding coronavirus fears on it has been depressing and people actively wishing for lol death! is just, not my thing.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

concurrently, posting the phone number for the suicide hotline on twitter is one of the hackiest forms of activism

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

HEH HEH SPORTSBALL! I'm deliberately ignorant of giant cultural traditions plastered everywhere. LEL WHATS GOING ON???? HAH HAH SCORE THE BASKET IN THE TOUCHDOWN

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I just remembered one, dont know if its been posted yet, but this poo poo:

Me: "Why does this thing always do that?" (some variation of this kind of question)
Unfunny Hack: "Because you touch yourself at night!"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Junk posted:

I just remembered one, dont know if its been posted yet, but this poo poo:

Me: "Why does this thing always do that?" (some variation of this kind of question)
Unfunny Hack: "Because you touch yourself at night!"

I read "Unfunny Hack" as in a life-hack to make sure you are unfunny at a moments notice.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mental illness & depression are serious business, and people will cope in all sorts of different ways, but "I think about killing myself every day, lol" in mismatched fonts with a distorted 3D image in the background basically feel like a combination of the '00s wacky omG!!1 humor & "~ * [emo song lyric] *~" AIM statuses. It annoys the poo poo out of me & is :rolleyes:-worthy 100% of the time I see it, but as a neurotypical person I don't know how to feel about commenting about it.

I think this sort of humor is reflective of, and has perhaps even contributed to a growing culture of normalizing discussion of mental health ( especially among the younger generation) and I, for one, feel more comfortable opening up about my own struggles with depression because of it.

That being said I totally get why it's off-putting.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Rambling improv and comics who really go out with I’m a big overweight person so I have to yell a lot and be zany

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
White English Lit graduates who did teaching for two years but quit to do comedy doing an Edinburgh festival show about Tinder but also what it taught them about their dad and depression.

The poster has them doing a perplexed face like "why is dating so confusing! I'm just like you!"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Riatsala posted:

I think this sort of humor is reflective of, and has perhaps even contributed to a growing culture of normalizing discussion of mental health ( especially among the younger generation) and I, for one, feel more comfortable opening up about my own struggles with depression because of it.

That being said I totally get why it's off-putting.

I had a real rough mental health time a few years back and I accepted it'll be something that's always a fight for me. That stuff helped at first, but I think there comes a point where you have to leave "ha ha! I want to kill myself" behind and shoot for a healthier point of identification.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ThePopeOfFun posted:

cultural traditions

Nearly had me!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Nearly had me!

Idk what else to call huge obvious things everyone knows about unless you're under a rock.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ANUSTART posted:

I dont know if it is hacky really but I hate the self-depricating stuff on Twitter, it is really contagious and unhealthy to normalize and ~meme~ that kind of stuff. People get worse from it and the intensity of it just seems to only escalate.

I mean, Riatsala made a point about it, that it's a way to cope, which...whatever. I still find it stupid and annoying. I see their point though.

quote:

Also I am sure people have already said the heckin goodest boy doggo birb snek, Do All The Things! stuff, sometimes I think that is me being an old grump then I hear it outloud from people older than me.

I've never heard anyone actually speak fake dog language out loud, and I'm pretty sure I would walk away from them mid-sentence if they did.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

HEH HEH SPORTSBALL! I'm deliberately ignorant of giant cultural traditions plastered everywhere. LEL WHATS GOING ON???? HAH HAH SCORE THE BASKET IN THE TOUCHDOWN

This poo poo drives me up a wall. One of my friends went with me to a minor league baseball game (in hindsight, I'm not sure why -- I said I had an extra ticket, and she volunteered to join), and she spent the whole time like "Huh? What? What's going on? Time to cheer now? YAAAAAYYYY! SPORTBAAAAALLLL!" as if she had no idea what was happening. Cheering for fouls, cheering for strikeouts (both teams), cheering for groundouts, cheering when no one else was cheering, just...being a total dick. I ended up leaving during the fifth inning because she ruined it, and I didn't talk to her for like a year after that.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
we've all seen the act where vampires pretending to be actors pretending to be vampires call up a member of the audience and actually feast on them on stage. it wasn't funny the first time and it sure as hell ain't funny the thousandth.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never heard anyone actually speak fake dog language out loud, and I'm pretty sure I would walk away from them mid-sentence if they did.
As someone who has babytalked dogs all his life to the point of it becoming a borderline tic, you're right to do so.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

we've all seen the act where vampires pretending to be actors pretending to be vampires call up a member of the audience and actually feast on them on stage. it wasn't funny the first time and it sure as hell ain't funny the thousandth.

really ruins the whole evening. I did not go out to hear blood gurgles or screams, let alone a perfectly alive being just shrivel up right there on stage ffs.

damnit. the last time this happened the guy totally screwed it up. 10 minutes later, he's got this sorta dead ghoul thing just following him around through the rest of the show. just makes you want to puke.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
My buddy with the lovely jokes doesn't want my dill. He jokes like that with everyone. He also has a wife.

He's just chronically not funny.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
something particularly teeth-grating about snarky grad student facebook memes

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ghost emoji posted:

Related to that is "Engineer" "Humour" which isn't so much about humour as showing "yes, I work in a STEM field." You can build a turbine, but you can't construct a joke, my dudes.

That Tumblr circle jerk kind of meme fucks me off too. It's just so cosy and invariably contains an attack on a straw man. Ones on social justice issues are so bad that my brain briefly flirts with being a chud out of sheer revulsion for that kind of lovely joke until it reboots after a second or two.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Disco Pope posted:

Related to that is "Engineer" "Humour" which isn't so much about humour as showing "yes, I work in a STEM field." You can build a turbine, but you can't construct a joke, my dudes.

That Tumblr circle jerk kind of meme fucks me off too. It's just so cosy and invariably contains an attack on a straw man. Ones on social justice issues are so bad that my brain briefly flirts with being a chud out of sheer revulsion for that kind of lovely joke until it reboots after a second or two.

How do you spot an extroverted engineer.

he looks at the other person's shoes when he talks

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ikanreed posted:

How do you spot an extroverted engineer.

he looks at the other person's shoes when he talks

That's fine, but XKCD style poo poo about physics or whatever is unbearable.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ghost emoji posted:

Approximately 98% of Tumblr/Twitter screenshots would be funnier with either only an OP or an OP + only ONE response.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

quote:

I'm screaming akdsfasjdfkasf

quote:

did yoU JUST

YeahTubaMike posted:

Approximately 98% of Tumblr/Twitter screenshots would be funnier with either only an OP or an OP + only ONE response.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Dumbledore: I don't know why I look after this School!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Comedians who just read twitter or dumb poo poo from social media. Motherfucker, I know that stuff's funny- I look at it, too, but I paid to see your material not to watch a comedian do what I do at home.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is sorting people into hogwarts houses supposed to be funny? Because I’d say that’s the hackiest thing.

Read

Another

Book

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

frogge posted:

Comedians who just read twitter or dumb poo poo from social media. Motherfucker, I know that stuff's funny- I look at it, too, but I paid to see your material not to watch a comedian do what I do at home.
The inverse is also terrible-- /r/standupshots where it's often a bunch of wannabes posting their latest long-tweets over a generic photo of the one time they did open mic, usually with a cadence that would never work verbally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is sorting people into hogwarts houses supposed to be funny? Because I’d say that’s the hackiest thing.

Read

Another

Book

lmao that's such a hufflepuff thing to say :rolleyes: