Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

psiox posted:

are these PMs you're getting or someone itt's post history? :o

off to see if i can register chudba.se , someone please spin up the wiki

someone linked me to the orange site thread and these two points stood out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there's lots of creepy QQs on twitter too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
4-clause BSD pisses off RMS so that's what everyone should release under.

rotor posted:

You should not write code at all.

But this is the better option.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the only true free software license is the WTFPL

code:

DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
                   Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
  TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO.

didnt that guy used to hang ut with Weev

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

why is it that the people who cite the first amendment the most frequently also always have the dumbest, most facile understanding of its function

you'd think they'd be experts in first amendment case theory considering how much they talk about it!!

like that professor i mentioned earlier who thinks it says "i can interrupt you whenever i like, and you aren't allowed to get angry or talk back over me and you have to listen to what i have to say"

animist
Aug 28, 2018
linus is definitely the type to identify as an edgy centrist who "hates everyone equally" but actually mostly hates [insert minority here]

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Lutha Mahtin posted:

famous last words lol

lmao, right?

kill your heroes

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Sagebrush posted:

why is it that the people who cite the first amendment the most frequently also always have the dumbest, most facile understanding of its function

you'd think they'd be experts in first amendment case theory considering how much they talk about it!!

like that professor i mentioned earlier who thinks it says "i can interrupt you whenever i like, and you aren't allowed to get angry or talk back over me and you have to listen to what i have to say"

more often than not it's cis white straight men who have everything to lose. they're bothered by the idea that there are people of different genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations who have no patience for the poo poo that these men say and therefore will do everything in their feeble amount of power they perceive they have to say what they have 'independently' thought of because there's nothing else that they can amount to

this is why bitcoin is popular with these types: it's because they have nothing and while they know that is the case, they also at the same time do not

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
These licenses are FSF-rejected and are therefore generally recommended:

Apple Public Source License 1.x
Artistic License 1.0
NASA Open Source Agreement
Reciprocal Public License 1.5
Sybase Open Watcom Public License

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
amen to that

reminded strongly of that lovely subreddit (as though they all aren't) 'unpopularopinion' where freezepeach people like to pretend they are oppressed for having their absolutely awful, uneducated takes rebuked by everyone else that isn't in the club

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BobHoward posted:

i missed this background to the Linus thing, got any pointers to more? i didn’t pay much attention, thought that maybe he finally noticed how toxic he was on his own

Linus was his usual dickhead self. some women complained that his attitude is keeping women out of being able to contribute to Linux and it picked up some steam in the media. then Linus announced he was taking time off to reevaluate his actions or some such.

what really happened is the companies that were paying his salary told him that this is a pr problem for them and he needs to change his behavior.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

quote:

Stallman said “it is morally absurd to define ‘rape’ in a way that depends on minor details such as which country it was in or whether the victim was 18 years old or 17.”

I mean you could.. define it by the actual raping. Just saying.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:gizz::parrot::dong::rms2:

:gop::hf::chloe:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 18, 2019

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskq3-lpQnE

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

can you not do that, my perfectly good poo poo just got stallmaned.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
please use a free codec like ogg theora when posting videos, and make sure they don’t have digital restriction management

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
a few times now i've related the anecdote my photojournalist friend told me about taking pictures of celebrities -- you keep the good ones, of course, but you also keep the bad ones where they look particularly angry or stupid or gruesome just in case there's a scandal and you need the article to have the right mood.

anyway, here's what the washington post is running

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

a few times now i've related the anecdote my photojournalist friend told me about taking pictures of celebrities -- you keep the good ones, of course, but you also keep the bad ones where they look particularly angry or stupid or gruesome just in case there's a scandal and you need the article to have the right mood.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NO

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

psiox posted:

are these PMs you're getting or someone itt's post history? :o

off to see if i can register chudba.se , someone please spin up the wiki

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20995983 was the first thing I found

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gently caress u for linking to the orange site

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
~-=LoAdIng HaCkEr T00lz=-~

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

animist posted:

linus is definitely the type to identify as an edgy centrist who "hates everyone equally" but actually mostly hates [insert minority here]

gently caress you

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
while linus is abrasive sometimes i don't remember him being exclusionary or bigoted

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

gently caress u for linking to the orange site

nobody forcing you to click it m8

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

while linus is abrasive sometimes i don't remember him being exclusionary or bigoted

it's often been a lot more than abrasive though, it's been outright abuse and telling people to kill themselves.

i'm not sure that being a total dickhead to everyone, including women, because of poor social skills or ego is any better than specifically targeting them because of a sexist attitude.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but linus has been through an intervention on these issues, and the kernel has acquired a CoC because of it. you're just repeating a meme at this point

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

anyway, here's what the washington post is running

they should have gone with this classic

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tankakern posted:

but linus has been through an intervention on these issues, and the kernel has acquired a CoC because of it. you're just repeating a meme at this point

Sir, this is the Shoneys drive through...

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Tankakern posted:

stopping doing something lovely doesn't magically erase past actions, or the harm they did.

what meme am i repeating by suggesting that a pattern of abusive behaviour over many years by someone in a position of influence be called what it was, rather than minimised as 'abrasive'?

he habitually posted things to the lkml that would get you a probe here ffs.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

by that logic he shouldn't try to better himself, since idiots like you will harp on and on about the past forever

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

they should have gone with this classic

lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Father Jack posted:

stopping doing something lovely doesn't magically erase past actions, or the harm they did.

what meme am i repeating by suggesting that a pattern of abusive behaviour over many years by someone in a position of influence be called what it was, rather than minimised as 'abrasive'?

he habitually posted things to the lkml that would get you a probe here ffs.

So what you're saying is Lowtax should offer Linus an account to fund his robospine?

:confused:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Tankakern posted:

by that logic he shouldn't try to better himself, since idiots like you will harp on and on about the past forever

what?

he should try to stop being an abusive arsehole, so that more people don't have to suffer his abuse.

doing so doesn't change how he acted over a period of many years affecting many people.

i think people can change for the better, even people who have done truly horrific things. the ones who do typically acknowledge their past actions and their impact.

hopefully torvalds himself isn't just going 'i said sorry so it's all ok'. like you are, stan.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Its difficult to describe to a young person -- say, someone under 40 -- how social attitudes have shifted in recent decades. One of the more noticeable changes is the way that progressiveness and tolerance have been hijacked by reaction and intolerance and a mob mentality that's better suited to the Salem witch trials or a Streicher courtroom. I can see why someone like Stallman just doesn't want to play any more -- I'm similar in age and this kind of sophomoric mob mentality is just wearing in the extreme.

(I also think its a result of deliberate social policy. The generation that grew up in the 60s were very well educated and had extremely progressive ideas about equality and social justice. They presented a serious threat to the system so starting with Ricard Nixon changes were made to gradually corral thought back to a more conformist mindset. The screws were really put on during the Reagan administration; by that time education had been turned into a competitive rat race, one where only the essentials were taught,now it was going to become an expensive but must have commodity. (Similar changes were taking place in the UK.) The result has been generations of regimented, suppressed, scared and broke young adults entering the workforce, all knowing that a failure to conform will result in becoming an outcast. This culture has seeped into software.....but enough said (rambled?) about this for now.....)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the stallman CS generation, noted for their tolerant, diverse, inclusive community of 99% neckbeard white dudes from like 4 institutions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are some more replies to the stallman stories thread

https://twitter.com/Slayer_X/status/1174087968442724352

https://twitter.com/Jyve/status/1174153474625462273

https://twitter.com/cjwl/status/1174095211238240257

https://twitter.com/wmobit/status/1174103691789512705

https://twitter.com/chrsmeca/status/1174268323644760065

https://twitter.com/hugelgupf/status/1174179093094588418

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i feel like "slob" isn't quite doing it justice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"stop asking for the source for my pump controller firmware god dammit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

The Management posted:

what really happened is the companies that were paying [Linus's] salary told him that this is a pr problem for them and he needs to change his behavior.

There's two thousand posts on Orange Site arguing over how RMS's comments weren't beyond the pale and don't justify his dismissal, but anybody in RMS's position has a duty to his organization, duty to his backers, a duty to his mission. It's not cut and dried and a lot of it subject to the politics of the organization.
Nicholas Negroponte was embarrassed, Joichi Ito resigned, Minsky's memory was tarnished. And RMS, overstaying his welcome by a decade, just blundered straight into that minefield like this was a tiff between emacs maintainers.

It's like no one commenting on HN has been ANYWHERE