Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

pyrotek posted:

I also thought that Picard getting blown backwards in San Francisco and waking up being tended to at La Barre, France by his Romulan friends instead of medical professionals was weird.

That whole sequence really seemed like someone went “alright, enough character development, we need to get the plot moving here” because so much poo poo happens so quickly. I also wasn’t expecting her to die at first, I thought the acid was just going to do some kind of Terminator thing and show mechanical components under her skin or something. It was also a little weird how little it immediately affected Picard. For all he knew, he just saw the only daughter of his dead closest friend melt and explode when he should have been protecting her. He gets upset but there’s no real grief and he’s just like “oh cool, thank god” when Alison Pill tells him there’s another Dahj out there somewhere.

It’s one of the few hiccups in the episode, but it stood out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait to see how this plays out. It was so good that I had to call my dad and talk to him about it even though he hasn't seen it yet. Trek was one of the few things we all enjoyed as a family when I was a kid so he's pretty excited to watch it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That whole sequence really seemed like someone went “alright, enough character development, we need to get the plot moving here” because so much poo poo happens so quickly. I also wasn’t expecting her to die at first, I thought the acid was just going to do some kind of Terminator thing and show mechanical components under her skin or something. It was also a little weird how little it immediately affected Picard. For all he knew, he just saw the only daughter of his dead closest friend melt and explode when he should have been protecting her. He gets upset but there’s no real grief and he’s just like “oh cool, thank god” when Alison Pill tells him there’s another Dahj out there somewhere.

It’s one of the few hiccups in the episode, but it stood out.

I think you can feel the development troubles that the show had in sequences like that. With having Kurtzman in charge, then Chabon, and the delay for the reshoots, I think the first season being a bit disjointed is inevitable.

Hopefully whomever they get to be showrunner for the second season (and third to be shot back-to-back, if the rumors are true) has a clear vision and can get corporate to buy-in so such troubles are minimized.

I think one of the big downsides to serial television is that it is extremely difficult to maintain consistency throughout one big story with so many people involved in the production. This episode has 19(!) producers listed in the opening credits. Without having to worry about the next episode so much, each episode of an episodic show can have a distinct feel.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Well that was really good.

That Ent-D shot at the beginning was fanservice in a sea of fanservice but maaan I don't care, it felt good to see the ol' girl again.

I hope we get to learn more about the two Romulans living with Picard. I wanna know what's up with them. I mean yeah, they're probably grateful for him trying to save their species, but why do they specifically wanna work on his vineyard?

The Daystrom Institute character is pretty cool too and I already know more about her after one episode than I do about like half of the Discovery regulars. Bruce Maddox was an interesting choice to bring back and not unwelcome.

Anyone else catch the music beat that played when the Romulan ship entered the Borg cube toward the ending? It was a remix of one of the main recurring TOS themes (not the main one) and that was a wild throwback.

Discovery could learn so much from Picard in terms of pacing and character building though, holy poo poo.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Drone posted:

Well that was really good.

That Ent-D shot at the beginning was fanservice in a sea of fanservice but maaan I don't care, it felt good to see the ol' girl again.

I hope we get to learn more about the two Romulans living with Picard. I wanna know what's up with them. I mean yeah, they're probably grateful for him trying to save their species, but why do they specifically wanna work on his vineyard?

The Daystrom Institute character is pretty cool too and I already know more about her after one episode than I do about like half of the Discovery regulars. Bruce Maddox was an interesting choice to bring back and not unwelcome.

Anyone else catch the music beat that played when the Romulan ship entered the Borg cube toward the ending? It was a remix of one of the main recurring TOS themes (not the main one) and that was a wild throwback.

Discovery could learn so much from Picard in terms of pacing and character building though, holy poo poo.

I'm pretty sure those two are from the prequel comic series, and are former Tal Shiar agents who were assigned to a colony, fell in love with each other, and went native. They helped then-Admiral Picard when the local governor tried to steal the ship he arrived in to help evacuate the colony.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drone posted:

The Daystrom Institute character is pretty cool too and I already know more about her after one episode than I do about like half of the Discovery regulars.

That was a really nice character introduction and Pill nailed it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Ready Room show had an interview with Russo going over why he did what he did with the intro theme which was nice - he really wanted to bring in the Flute from the Inner Light.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

That was a really nice character introduction and Pill nailed it.

So far all the new actors are really good and holding up.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Watching Picard rn. Extremely disappointed Boston was not nuked off the face of the earth like New York appears to have been.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Delthalaz posted:

Watching Picard rn. Extremely disappointed Boston was not nuked off the face of the earth like New York appears to have been.

I mean, it said "Greater Boston" and I didn't see Fenway or the Citgo Sign so could be Fall River for all I know.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
So yeah that was okay, nothing mind-blowing but certainly not awful like Discovery was. I'm pleased that it seems to be a rebuttal of all the hard choices bullshit we've grown to become tired of and my only real complaints are nitpicky bullshit.

For what it's worth I was also personally offended by the fact that Boston still seems to exist in the 24th century

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Noise Complaint posted:

I mean, it said "Greater Boston" and I didn't see Fenway or the Citgo Sign so could be Fall River for all I know.

Good point! Maybe after the WW3 nuclear holocaust, survivors decided to create a new “Boston” out of the biggest surviving town in the general vicinity.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Tighclops posted:

For what it's worth I was also personally offended by the fact that Boston still seems to exist in the 24th century

They need a joke like Federation news ticker mentioning the Green Line extension to Somerville is now operational

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Delthalaz posted:

They need a joke like Federation news ticker mentioning the Green Line extension to Somerville is now operational

Too far fetched

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did they add a bunch of ribbing to the neck?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was getting a “Would you like to know more?” vibe from FNN.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yeah Boston survived but at least they managed to wipe New Zealand off the map pretty early on. So swings and roundabouts.

Jk, should have been Australia

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did find it a little amusing when the FFN used literal screen caps from episodes and movies as official photos of Picard lol

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Wait nobody has talked about the most important part.. the Captain Picard Day banner cameo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I winced when I saw Doug Aarniokoski's name in the credits. He directed the cinematic classic Highlander: Endgame.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's cool to see future media, I think we've only seen like Star Trek News Channel stuff in the very beginning of Generations?

One of the things that's missing from all the Star Treks is mass media oh and also everyone just happens to be a connoisseur of 20th century music and TV and movies.

Timby posted:

I winced when I saw Doug Aarniokoski's name in the credits. He directed the cinematic classic Highlander: Endgame.

OK but did you like the episode

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the Romulans were Vulcans until they started showing emotions. Was I not paying attention or were the forehead ridges that distinguish Romulans from Vulcans gone?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought the Romulans were Vulcans until they started showing emotions. Was I not paying attention or were the forehead ridges that distinguish Romulans from Vulcans gone?

We don't discuss it with outsiders.

e: I never saw Nemesis, is there anything in ep that wouldn't be obvious to someone who hadn't seen it? Though at the beginning I thought they might be setting up another Picard clone story and thought it would be funny if they just cast Tom Hardy in a wig as Dahj

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 23, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

OK but did you like the episode

I don't have All Access. All I've seen is the credits sequence someone posted on the last page.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is there an official word on when this hits Australian amazon prime?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Not sure how I feel about the writing making a big deal about how Dahj is a wonderful, unique being shortly before dousing her in acid, blowing her up, and to add insult to injury, revealing that, thankfully, there's a spare so the plot can continue. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by the twist and still wanna see where the show goes with it, but lol poor Dahj

With her body vanishing I'd put good odds on her coming back - yeah her flesh was burned off but they made it sound like the only thing that's really difficult is the neural net, if that survived they can replace the rest.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

teacup posted:

Is there an official word on when this hits Australian amazon prime?

All it said was the 24th, I assumed that meant midnight since it was already out elsewhere.

The delay is completely arbitrary and stupid, so I had no qualms pirating it. I've paid for the episode via my subscription, but if they want my metrics they need to release the drat thing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

With her body vanishing I'd put good odds on her coming back - yeah her flesh was burned off but they made it sound like the only thing that's really difficult is the neural net, if that survived they can replace the rest.

If data can survive the warpcore plamsa melting off his flesh, she'll be fine.

Also, I think the theme is really great - It took a few listens but I can hum it fine now from memory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Way to invent Cylons Mr. Maddox

Thom12255 posted:

Also, I think the theme is really great - It took a few listens but I can hum it fine now from memory.

It's always bothered me the way Data says "futile"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Although to be fair, she's apparently a positronic net inside an artificial biological body, not a full on robot like Data.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
IDK, I hate that it's too soon to know if it's good or not. The first episode had some good stuff, some stuff I wasn't a fan of. I liked the "be the Picard we remember" touch at the beginning. But that's a problem with these serialized shows, they can keep you guessing with mystery box bullshit until they let you down with the realization it's really just the stupidest thing.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was unsure too. The guy does have ridges but they're a lot more subtle than TNG-era. Kurtzman mentioned it when talking about what Worf would look like if he made an appearance

https://tvline.com/2020/01/12/star-trek-picard-worf-michael-dorn-klingons-spoilers-season-1/ posted:

So will Worf’s look on Picard more closely resemble Discovery‘s Klingons, then? “No, he’s got to look the same,” Kurtzman says. “We’re not changing that. It’s funny, because you’ll see by the time you get to [Picard‘s] third episode, there are different kinds of Romulans that look different, depending on their territories. You’ll see some Romulans that are just about the ears, you’ll see some with the ears and deeper ridges in their foreheads… so I have to believe that there are different iterations of Klingons, depending on where they are from.”

I'm guessing it's because the JJ Abrams Romulans didn't have forehead ridges.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

IDK, I hate that it's too soon to know if it's good or not. The first episode had some good stuff, some stuff I wasn't a fan of. I liked the "be the Picard we remember" touch at the beginning. But that's a problem with these serialized shows, they can keep you guessing with mystery box bullshit until they let you down with the realization it's really just the stupidest thing.

Too me it seems like the show is purposefully not doing mystery boxes? A normal show would absolutely not have shown that she was an android in the first episode, there would just be 'hints' until it dramatically was revealed half way through the season. The story seems it will literally be Picard trying to find and save this twin and maybe it will expand as we learn more about what Maddox has been doing, with presumably, the Romulans. Things are fairly clear right now.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Handsome Wife posted:

I was unsure too. The guy does have ridges but they're a lot more subtle than TNG-era. Kurtzman mentioned it when talking about what Worf would look like if he made an appearance

I'm guessing it's because the JJ Abrams Romulans didn't have forehead ridges.

They already went on record as Romulans from different regions may look different. Some should have ridges.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Am I the only one who heard synthetic revolution and immediately jumped to ”Aw, poo poo, Lore’s back!”?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As someone who follows Trek, but isn't a hard core fan, I enjoyed that. I watched Discovery and it's... what it is. This was a bit refreshing and felt more like what I want from Star Trek, probably last felt since the release of Enterprise season 4. For the last decade Star Trek (both Discovery and the movie reboots) have felt like an action series first, with badly done sci-fi and morality bolted on afterwards.

This was methodical, but not slow really. I enjoyed the measured pace, revisiting Picard the man and getting to see the prime timeline post-everything finally. Really liking all the tie ins so far, and it seems to be providing some nice connective tissue. With Star Wars being my main fandom, it often suffers from "This is the story we're writing, someone else can work out why we're contradicting previous stuff later." So it was nice to see quite a lot of direct ties to previous material and characters, all the while feeling like natural extensions of where we left off.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Lizard Combatant posted:

All it said was the 24th, I assumed that meant midnight since it was already out elsewhere.

The delay is completely arbitrary and stupid, so I had no qualms pirating it. I've paid for the episode via my subscription, but if they want my metrics they need to release the drat thing.

Yeah. Completely ridiculous. I used to live in a house with Foxtel and I did the same thing. Ahh well

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Would pet the new "Star Trek" Pup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically I don't understand why Jean Luc Picard can't be a real person and also President of these United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Am I the only one who heard synthetic revolution and immediately jumped to ”Aw, poo poo, Lore’s back!”?

I'd bet he's involved somehow. Maybe Maddox stole his remains when he disappeared.