Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Science Fiction Double Feature
Bit of a gap between updates, to make up for it I'm posting a double-header. These were kinda long to do as 1 video, and kinda short to do separately so you get 'em both to view at your leisure. It's just sidequest stuff before we get back to the plot.

Tallneck murderdeck
Another tallneck except this one has bad guys surrounding it. There are a fuckton of them, plus a corrupter and a minigun dude, so be careful when you do this one. I make use of the tallneck as a weapons platform. Also show off the metal flowers and a couple of logs.

Fruit Loops
Exploring a settlement outside of Meridian. It's kind of a big place and really detailed considering what's there; namely fuckall except some sidequests. I guess it's possible we return here later but if so it's so underwhelming I forgot it entirely. A lady is dealing with theft, some dude's daughter ran off and we get a treasure hunt that we won't be doing for a long while as that whole section of the map is still fogged. We find the fruit thief after a rather long and involved pursuit. I'm surprised there's any fruit left anywhere in the territory with all that moron stole and then threw into the bushes to rot :mad: We save him from some glinthawks and then chase his rear end some more, sending him to make amends for his behavior.

We've prolly done enough dicking around so I'll get on with some plot stuff. Haven't forgotten about Olin but we'll follow up with Erend back in Meridian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I am shocked by the complete lack of turkey murder in this pair of videos.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
In retrospect, I'm disappointed I didn't try and lure people into getting trampled by that Tallneck. I'm not sure it would've worked, but it would've been fun to try.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yeah, 2 videos! :D

Tallneck- I've never cleared this section of the game as methodically as you did in the video, nor used the Tallneck as a weapons platform. Fun to do. :) Pity we don't get much detail at this point as to why the bad guys want the Tallneck or why the Corruptor couldn't just take it over like they do with lesser machines. Maybe it has to get on the thing's head like Aloy does, but they're not as adept at jumping & climbing?

Theft Sidequest- The woman is indeed kind, considering how much this guy took from her. This mission can be helpful for getting animal parts, if you didn't already know. If you visit the fruit store after doing the mission, you can find the thief working off his debt there and the seller trying to teach him not to use derogatory terms like "savage" after he greets Aloy as such. :) I'll comment on the many other sidequests in this area (yeah, it's really a big sidequest hub) when you do them. Hope you will show off as many as you can. I thought the one with the daughter pretty fun, Fernand's too. Not saying more for now.

Part of the beauty of this game is you can decide in some large portions what sections of the map to de-fog first. This allows for a lot of story experimentation with different playthroughs to some degree. More will be revealed as we continue.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoyed the tiny towns that dotted the area around Meridian even if there wasn't too much to do in them. They're just neat.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well, holy poo poo here I am after having some adventures that involved a trip to the ER, a 'rona test, and some other bullshit. I've been posting around the forums and playing some videogames but not up for proper LP'ing. I've made up for this by doing a veritable marathon of editing and we'll be getting 3, count them, 3 episodes tonight and another tomorrow because I left out a chunk of footage on the first pass. Oops.

Murderthon for charity

Remember like 3 months ago when we first got to Meridian and picked up a bunch of sidequests? Some noble asked us to find a stolen sword so we go looking. There's a broken window and 38 quarts of blood lost in the streets. We don't find the thief but we do find his accomplice who directs us elsewhere. Turns out there's a group of Robin Hood-esque folks stealing poo poo and selling it off to buy food and medicine for the poor bastards who unwillingly went to Sunfall. We agree to find a missing fellow and his cartload of poo poo which leads us to a really large outpost and some hilarious AI failures. We rescue the guy and everything ends on a happy note, yay.

Banuk of the North

Another sidequest picked up at Meridian, the weird dude who heard there was a camp of Banuk with strange goings-on. The machines here are docile. We also get to interact a bit with Banuk, who really weren't a thing in the main game, but they are the focus of the DLC. They're more mystical and primitive like the Nora. The shamen all have this glowing cord laced in their skin, which had to hurt like a bitch. I don't wanna know where they store the batteries to keep it lit :gonk: Good things don't last, and the Oseram who the weirdo hired prior have hosed things up so the machines go bugfuck and we have to put them down.

Third video is uploading/processing so it will have a separate post.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Murderhorse, MVP.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
gently caress whoever wrote this

After discovering Ersa maybe wasn't killed we got instructions to meet Erend at the palace. We're greeted by what would be, I dunno, a Seneschal? Blameless Marad is an advisor to the king. He's a slimy bastard. I like him. Avad himself is dressed like a dork, but he is nice enough to actually somewhat impress Aloy. He's also clearly got a thing for Ersa. They think this was all the plot by some guy named Dervahl, an Oseram who rebelled against the lovely old Sun King and got his family killed as recompense, resulting in his becoming a wee bit displeased with the Carja. He also apparently pissed off every group in the Claim as well. Marad has an agent we're supposed to meet so we head over there.

We get to the place but the agent is already dead, oops. He left a "map" that looks like a football playbook drawn by a drunk money. We're still able to make sense of it somehow and get a destination. Along the way is a whole bunch of bullshit. It is possible to take a wide berth around, but my way is funnier. It also provides us with some extra firepower which comes in handy in the next section. Especially since Erend's AI is complete poo poo here. I actually restarted a couple times because they charged in the second someone went on yellow alert, once freeing the machines who proceeded to find me hiding in the bushes like I was holding a spotlight and kicking my rear end. Grr. At any rate we finally clear out the main area and then run into an area denial weapon that uses sound. Maybe it plays Nickelback. We also meet a complete idiot who manages to lose us while never actually taking his eyes off us. We shoot him in the face with a ravager cannon and steal his earplugs.

Ersa is being held by another sonic device in the basement. Then she gets off a few dramatic lines and loving dies. Again. This is probably the only time the writing in the game straight up pissed me off. In total game time the quest takes a couple of hours (there's another section to finish), it makes you jump through all these hoops to find her just to have her die anyway. The game was made in 2017, fridging her was really loving unnecessary. Erend was already on his way to being a better person by drinking less and being somewhat serious. He could still have been put in a position of responsibility with Ersa being sidelined. But no. If that was you John Gonzales I'm severely disappointed.

Next video is the conclusion of the quest, this was already going on for awhile and I didn't want to tack another 30 minutes on.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I had the same problem with the Banuk quest marker. It showed up right when I got to the camp, but I ignored it to talk to people, and then it wouldn't show again when I was in the camp and wanted to find it.

Frustrated me to no end.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to admit that the writers offed Ersa felt like a really weird choice since she has been hyped up to be a pretty awesome character, only to have her croak after we´ve proved that she is alive and captured.

BTW, good to see you back SubPonticate. Hope you are feeling better after all bullshit.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree on Ersa, I would’ve liked to keep her around also.

Welcome back, SP, hope all goes better for you soon.

I will have time to watch the videos a couple days from now, I’ll post more comments then.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Three updates? Woot!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Oh yeah, Ersa's death was jarring and felt like a last minute change to let the devs shoehorn in something later.

It is definitely one of the weakest story moments of the game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, I got a little time this afternoon. I watched the videos.

Robbing the Rich- This is an interesting sidequest in that Aloy gets involved in the Carja Civil War, but it's not the game's main conflict. We're not even sure if they're connected at our current main story completion, though it is a possibility. Aloy hasn't even gone anywhere near Sunfall at this point (although we could if SP wants to), so we're taking these people's word for it that refugees exist and we're actually helping them. I guess we're good judges of character. Didn't catch any missed dialogue here.

A Moment's Peace- This is a sidequest where more gets explained if you do it after completing more of the main plot. Yet its placement and adventure hook are such that you'll probably do it sooner, as SP did. Thus, to avoid spoilage, I'll have more to say about it later. For now, it does serve as a nice introduction to the Banuk tribe and how colorful they can be. Although it is possible to circle their camp, find the Focus signal, and go straight to the quest climax without talking to any of the Banuk first. You miss out on a lot that way. And the only Banuk in the camp we have a chance of seeing again later is optional and easy to miss also- I've seen numerous LPers wondering who they were when they show up again, even though Aloy always recognizes them as a friend. See if you can guess which character I'm talking about, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It will be a long while before the reveal. SP didn't miss them, thankfully. So, yeah, this quest has weaknesses and parts could have been done better. I'll say more about them when spoilers aren't as big a risk.

Two major disappointments with this quest- you can't kill the Glinthawks before they go bad, and the Thunderjaw doesn't wake up with the other machines. Oh well.

Main Quest- I like Avad and Marad as characters too. Bonus points for both being obviously decent people despite being royalty and a chancellor. Josh Keaton also does a great job voicing Avad, as he has many characters in games and cartoons. Good that we get a lot of worldbuilding and plot here too. The quest to rescue Ersa itself isn't too bad, although there are parts that could have been done better. Like her survival, obviously. And using the captive machines to make trouble. SP pointed out how bull lovely that is. The boss fight too.

Looking forward to the next episode.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

SubponticatePoster posted:

Tallneck murderdeck
Another tallneck except this one has bad guys surrounding it. There are a fuckton of them, plus a corrupter and a minigun dude, so be careful when you do this one. I make use of the tallneck as a weapons platform. Also show off the metal flowers and a couple of logs.

On my playthrough, the Tallneck killed the corrupter by just walking over it, made things a bit easier :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you activate a tallneck it kills every enemy near it, including people.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
gently caress whoever wrote this twice

Finishing up the quest. We head back to Meridian and reveal Dervahl's plot, getting a lead on where to go next. It's an empty building except for some bombs. Y'know, the regular stuff. The day is saved by throwing poo poo out a window, but I'm curious as to what we pushed that onto. Bedrock? A walkway? A daycare? One problem solved, anyway. SInce Dervahl would want to see this in person, we have to go looking. Erend is convinced the palace is too heavily guarded but they don't account for people waltzing in from the sewers or whatever.

There are some plot holes here. How'd they get the mechanism in? Nobody was carrying anything. How'd they subdue everyone even if they had the poo poo with them? You'd still have to set it up and turn it on. Why am I expecting a logical answer? At any rate Dervahl tries to set off his bomb and is sorely disappointed. We shut down machines, break fans. Then comes an absolutely annoying bullshit fight. It's not exceptionally difficult, just dealing with constant respawns of glinthawks and one-liners repeated 50 times. If it wasn't plot-locked to keep him alive I'd murder him on general loving principle. But this quest is done, finally.

Next time we go find Olin, and poo poo starts getting interesting really drat quick.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Finally, the worst part of the story is over and done with (besides one bit later on that is kinda badly-written but nowhere near THIS bad) and good riddance.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This is the part of the game that gets a lot of chauvinists in an uproar. Male lazy pig side villains don't get much more blatant than Derval, and Aloy taking him down... well, it's satisfying even with all the limited dialogue and plot holes. And the Glinthawks. They could have made that fight a lot more challenging if you had to take out the lure to stop them coming or something. As it is, it's just annoying. Ugh.

Missed Dialogue- The two mooks in the palace sewers bitch about being left as rear guard if Aloy sneaks up on them. Derval also has some more blatant chauvinist lines if you let him live long enough to deliver them (in the part where he comes after you with a gun before calling the Glinthawks). Aloy can also rub Ersa's fate in Avad's face with other dialogue choices or blow him off more forcefully if you're feeling like a jerk. I think SP's responses fit better with her personality personally.

It's worth it to go back to the Palace for the Glyphs/Scrolls we missed in there. Some great worldbuilding material on Carja culture and history is our reward.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Yeah, Avad's flirting with Aloy is what I was referring to when I said Ersa's death felt forced so that they could shoehorn in something stupid.

In fact, if Ersa had survived it could have led to some great character development for Avad, and the Oseram/Carja relations overall.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

One of these days you're gonna hit that right bottun, I believe in you SP

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Okay, this line of dialogue caught my attention:

So, Dervahl has seen a Focus before and knows what they are.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My name, "Blameless Marad", has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my name.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, this line of dialogue caught my attention:

So, Dervahl has seen a Focus before and knows what they are.
I get the feeling that knowledge of weird poo poo like Focuses is fairly common knowledge if you've been an Oseram explorer for long enough.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But then Erend and the rest of the Carja at the start of the game would have known about the traitor's focus.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I wouldn't think too hard on it. In the mission Dervahl says "you must be the Nora who bushwhacked my camp." I don't know how he would know this since we killed everyone in it. He also knows we override machines by way of our spear. Basically whoever wrote that series of lines was thinking about what they know, and not what he would.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Rollin' Olin

It only took like 15 updates but we finally go find Olin. Good thing whatever they were doing took this long. Turns out the weirdos are actually digging up all these dead machines and jump starting them to Take Back MeridianTM. Olin seemed to be mostly ok with letting a bunch of kids get murdered but this is a step too far. Some mystery person voiced by perennial badass Lance Reddick hax0rs all the focuses giving us a chance to take care of business without Big Brother noticing. Unfortunately it doesn't make the corrupters turn on the jerks. Thanks to targeting issues stealth gets blown so I let Olin get his rear end kicked for a good few minutes while I solve problems. Having taken care of that we have a nice chat.

We get some names. The bad guys are Eclipse, the head rear end in a top hat is Helis, and our arch-nemesis is some kind of "devil" named, appropriately, Hades. Hades is pretty clearly some kind of robit or AI, as we can ascertain by his language. I hope he lapses into C++ or something from time to time completely confusing everyone. We've seen some ancient technology besides focuses still (barely) functioning so I guess this isn't too much of a stretch. Olin doesn't know who the other redhead is, though he is able to point us in a direction. Since he was acting under duress Aloy doesn't shoot him in the face with a blast bomb. He asks us to help him get his family back and we agree to help. They're being held captive at a farm which we liberate in short order and I lament clipping. Olin offers to stick around and help but we tell him to go home and think about what he did.

So this is where things start going from "huh" to "huh?" Our resemblance to the other lady gets us on a computer's poo poo list, but we don't really know what it is or why it hates us/her. The Eclipses' motivation is fairly straightforward, but not how they managed to hook up with a pissy iPad. Next stop: Maker's End, wherein things take a turn for the :piss:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

And even after you resolve his problems, he still doesn't take that drat focus off.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I got so tired of watching Corrupters walk over and through my tripwires that I stopped using the tripcaster when fighting them.

So. loving. Annoying.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Just so y'all know, Aloy can totally choose to just gank Olin with her spear after interrogating him. And whether she feels guilt over it is totally up to the player's interpretation. It makes saving his family after the deed super awkward... but you can still do that too!

I don't think it makes much narrative sense, but there you go. To get this path, pick the fist choice in dialogue. "This is complicated" just has Aloy debate killing or sparing him some and then you have to decide between those two paths. If you kill Olin but save his family, Aloy will tell them he's dead but not how it happened. I'll let those who want exact reactions look for the relevant videos online or play the game.

It does make narrative sense for Olin to turn on the enemy once they start threatening the entire world and not just one primitive tribe. He is limited in his thinking, for an explorer. I have to confess, I like dumping logs on him in the battle as much as I do the bad guys. I also like sending him in the front gate as a distraction while rescuing his family- I meanwhile sneak in the back and stealth the guards. It's an effective strategy.

Lance Reddick plays my favorite character in this game. Glad to see him make his first appearance. It is possible for him to introduce himself to Aloy before this mission, but I'll explain how later on. SPOILERS! We are going to see a lot more of the dude. :)

Also glad that our bad guys finally have names and I can start referring to Helis as Helis and not as his voice actor Crispin Freeman. I've recently been enjoying his work in another postapocalypse game called Days Gone. A gun stuck in the floor is a glitch worthy of that game :D

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Went to look up one of your DAI videos for something and discovered this LP of a game I'd somehow never heard of. Watched it all over the course of this past week.

Hunting robot dinos in the post-post-apocalyptic western US is extremely my jam. I'm just going to assume "aloy" is the Nora word for "butts".

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hello Sailor posted:

just going to assume "aloy" is the Nora word for "butts".

:newlol:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Episode 12 is missing from the YT playlist.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Should be fixed now, thanks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm just going to assume "aloy" is the Nora word for "butts".

DONGS

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Elisabet your rear end

We head to Maker's End, where we hope to find clues about the mysterious redhead that isn't us. On the way we get phone phreaked and learn the name of our possible mother. We also get a warning and a gift basket that contains a hilariously underpowered weapon. Like, who still has greens at this point, even if you zerged the story? Maker's End consists of a fuckload of ruined skyscrapers, a shitton of Eclipse, and a :stonklol: new enemy. Meet the Deathbringer, what really passes for a boss in this game. They are bristling with weapons, very large, very fast when they're at full function, and a pain in the rear end to fight. Due to aiming being poo poo in this game all of a sudden we start a big shart party and have to fight everyone at once. This Deathbringer is babby's first so it has like 20% health and we take it out with little problem. We have a (sort of) conversation with Hades, who is not pleased to see us. Then we head further into the complex.

There we find another one of the genetically-locked doors. Except this time we get in. Turns out we're a bit late. 350,000 days to be a bit more precise.

Buckle up kids :getin:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
"Buckle up " is an understatement. :)

For those keeping an eye out for real world locations, Maker's End is the game's version of what's left of Salt Lake City, Utah. A Vantage Point in this area mentions a park that is a real life notorious place to buy drugs there, or so I've heard. Naturally the building and complex we're exploring are fictional locations made up for the game.

In defense of Sylens, a Ropecaster is arguably the most useful tool in Aloy's arsenal. But yeah, one of the lowest quality is not a good gift.

Good use of stealth in clearing the dig site. I empathize with your frustration over enemies not running into your carefully placed traps. If there is enemy chatter dialogue you missed, I am not recalling it. I love how overpowered Murder Bushes are in this game.

Deathbringers are tough, but not too challenging. I hope for more creative boss monsters in the sequel. Perhaps some sort of metal Hydra or Octopus type beast? Yeah, that would be cool.

Looking forward to the next video. What the gently caress!!!!? :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was watching those markers as you were talking about them at the start of the video. They bloody well moved!

I think they show you direction and distance _assuming_ you travel on the paths. Meaning, the markers constantly move around wildly as the path winds along the ground because the marker always appears over a path rather than in the actual cardinal direction you need to go.

It would sorta make sense for a game like Grand Theft Auto where you mostly drive on the roads, but who the gently caress uses roads in a post apocalyptic world where you ride robot goats everywhere?

A really strange design decision that went so far into the 'hand holding' that it ended up in the 'confusing'.

EDIT: I knew it, she's a loving clone

Also, what the gently caress!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 5, 2020

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

SubponticatePoster posted:

Turns out we're a bit late. 350,000 days to be a bit more precise.

Dang it Aloy, now many times do we have to tell you that if you Dismiss the task instead of using Snooze, then the meeting reminder will stop recurring and you'll always wind up being late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The worst part of Deathbringers are the enemies around them, most of the time. They just have so many weakpoints.