Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

kazr posted:

Your secret is out buddy

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

JD-Smith posted:

says here it's.. Blair's flagship product. A habanero sauce with vinegar, cayenne, garlic, chipotle, lime juice, cilantro, herbs and spices.

So.. I won't die?

Did this guy die?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kazr posted:

I have a tobasco scorpion pepper sauce and love the flavor but without fail it turns my rear end hole into a flaming ball of fire every time. It's pretty hot but not excessive and no other hot sauce does this

Was that the super limited edition one that sold out on their website in minutes? I always wanted to try that one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wait.

REI sells...hot sauce?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chinatown posted:

Wait.

REI sells...hot sauce?

Literally only a few Yellowbird sauces. It's up at the front, at least at the two REIs I've been to, and it's the only place I've ever seen it for sale IRL.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Tapatio is just Cholula without paying extra for the wooden cap

I can't eat eggs without it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The glue holding the wooden top onto the plastic cap of my green Cholula let go and it pisses me off because it just spins but I also can’t have Cholula on my table without a wooden top so it is what it is.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Was that the super limited edition one that sold out on their website in minutes? I always wanted to try that one.

Googling it looks like it yeah. I got it from Fred Meyer (Kroger) about a year ago

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Smugworth posted:

Not gonna lie, the wooden cap matters to me. The Chipotle flavor has a stained wooden cap :buddy:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've tried probably a dozen of the commonly recommended sauces from the internet but there's one I fell in love with: Marie Sharp's Beware Comatose Habanero Pepper

unfortunately Kroger seems to have stopped carrying it, so after my 4-bottle reserve runs out I either need to find another local source or start ordering online

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Smugworth posted:

heat wise they're relatively the same but flavor wise? c'mon man.

Also this year I am growing Fatali peppers (around 250k-300k scov) and carolina reapers 1.6-2.0 Million lol) time to get REAL beefy, bitch

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Big Beef City posted:

:emptyquote:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

FBS posted:

I've tried probably a dozen of the commonly recommended sauces from the internet but there's one I fell in love with: Marie Sharp's Beware Comatose Habanero Pepper

unfortunately Kroger seems to have stopped carrying it, so after my 4-bottle reserve runs out I either need to find another local source or start ordering online

never had that one but Marie Sharps is really good, I've loved all the ones I've tried

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just grabbed my bottle of Io Thor's Hammer and napalmed my food so hard the Rolling Stones started playing in the distance. 10/10 would recommend.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Big Beef City posted:

I'm glad someone said it. They dont taste even close and cholula is superior in every way. I judge a taco shop if they only have tapatio on hand.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope he meant the opposite, tapatio is vastly better than cholula

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I dunno if I'd say 'vastly', but I agree w/you I like tapatio more than chula as well but I wouldn't say no to it or anything.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Look I only started buying Tapatio because I was broke and couldn't afford the wooden top, and I like it better than Valentina. Now it seems like I have to take the Pepsi challenge with Tapatio and Cholula and figure out for myself if they're the same.

Sorry thread

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i used to have a drawer full of cholula tops. not sure why i was keeping them, perhaps as a way to document my "Sauce-venture" into "Flavor Country." lost them, now I wander as a man without a past.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Dirty Dick's Tropical Twist is the best hot sauce I've ever had.

Good mix of heat and flavor. It's got pineapple and other sweet things in it. Good for all kinds of things. If you like Secret Aardvark Habanero you'll love Dirty Dick's.

For Mexican food, I like the Hot Ones Los Calientes green sauce. It adds a TON of flavor. For eggs, I like Tabasco Chipotle.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Smugworth posted:

Look I only started buying Tapatio because I was broke and couldn't afford the wooden top, and I like it better than Valentina. Now it seems like I have to take the Pepsi challenge with Tapatio and Cholula and figure out for myself if they're the same.

Sorry thread

you piece of poo poo

nothing you ever do could atone for this. Nothing except enjoy whatever hot sauce you like, friend. Which I hope you do!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That’s what is beautiful about the world of hot sauces. There is a flavor out there for everyone!

It looks like I need to try out secret aardvarks. We have it here in a lot of stores but I’ve never bothered with it.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
If you put a gun to my head and told me that my life depended on tasting the difference between Valentina Black and Tapatio, I would have a 50% chance.

Same with Victoria and Pacifico.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Valentina is good to pour on popcorn with a lime squeezed on top.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Based on this thread's recommendation I bought that Aardvark Habanero sauce but honestly it's a little too much for me. I need to dilute it in some mayo or something to lower the potency before I can put it on any chicken tenders or a burger

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i always think Valentina has a distict lime flavour already

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I guess I really like lime

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

If you put a gun to my head and told me that my life depended on tasting the difference between Valentina Black and Tapatio, I would have a 50% chance.

Same with Victoria and Pacifico.
They're close but I think you could.

Valentina Black owns for that variety of sub $1 bottle of mexicany hot sauces. El Yucateco is good but slightly different. I would say Valentina Black ~ El Yucateco > Tapatio > Cholula

Minimal Ass-Piss
Jul 30, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

Dirty Dick's Tropical Twist is the best hot sauce I've ever had.

Good mix of heat and flavor. It's got pineapple and other sweet things in it. Good for all kinds of things. If you like Secret Aardvark Habanero you'll love Dirty Dick's.

For Mexican food, I like the Hot Ones Los Calientes green sauce. It adds a TON of flavor. For eggs, I like Tabasco Chipotle.

This has been one of my go to sauces for a few years now. For me it has the perfect balance of sweet and heat.

Recently I've been going through a lot of mendez hot sauce. It's got a nice creamy pepper flavor that goes great with eggs.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
A sauce that’s hot and full of flavor

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Minimal rear end-Piss posted:

It's got a nice creamy pepper flavor that goes great with eggs.
goes great with eggs is the gaming equivalent of "well the game is fun with friends!!" as a defense.

it's extremely meaningless because every single hot sauce goes great with eggs, with maybe the exception of something like yuzu. that's like, the defacto feature of eggs

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Told the misses to pick me up some habanero secret aardvark but the store was out so she grabbed the drunken garlic black bean instead. It's pretty dank and will go nice in asiany dishes. Not very spicy at all tho

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Xaris posted:

goes great with eggs is the gaming equivalent of "well the game is fun with friends!!" as a defense.

it's extremely meaningless because every single hot sauce goes great with eggs, with maybe the exception of something like yuzu. that's like, the defacto feature of eggs

ill be honest i was about to make this post so thank you for saving me the time.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

FBS posted:

Fun fact about Marie Sharp: the hot sauce brand Melinda's was all her recipes, but she got swindled by the US distributor and makes no money from it.

Buy Marie Sharp's, gently caress Melinda's.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

kazr posted:

Told the misses to pick me up some habanero secret aardvark but the store was out so she grabbed the drunken garlic black bean instead. It's pretty dank and will go nice in asiany dishes.

:hmmyes:

kazr posted:

Not very spicy at all tho

:frogout:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

Based on this thread's recommendation I bought that Aardvark Habanero sauce but honestly it's a little too much for me. I need to dilute it in some mayo or something to lower the potency before I can put it on any chicken tenders or a burger

A good hot-sauce dilution medium is honey.

You can toy with adding a bit of water and/or your favorite vinegar as well if you want to help with consistency. However, if you've got a great hot sauce and some honey whisked together you've got yourself an excellent finishing sauce to baste on some chicken on the grill a minute or two before you take it off (any longer and you can scorch the sugars in the honey, time it right and you'll get that sticky icky). Adding (softened) butter or olive oil to this mix while whisking will also aid in your saucing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Big Beef City posted:

A good hot-sauce dilution medium is honey.

You can toy with adding a bit of water and/or your favorite vinegar as well if you want to help with consistency. However, if you've got a great hot sauce and some honey whisked together you've got yourself an excellent finishing sauce to baste on some chicken on the grill a minute or two before you take it off (any longer and you can scorch the sugars in the honey, time it right and you'll get that sticky icky). Adding (softened) butter or olive oil to this mix while whisking will also aid in your saucing.

if youre gonna rec olive oil or butter you might as well chemically accept mayonnaise into this equation like he said

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, I don’t even like mayo but if you stir in some ghost pepper sauce and some chopped sautéed garlic you have God’s Perfect Hamburger Condiment.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i wish eating didnt have consequences

theres so many different ways to enjoy a hamburger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the true injustice of the world is that i can listen to music for as long as i want with no consequence

if i tried that with eating, i'd become a gigantic amorphous blob, or die at 30, or get kicked out of golden corral again