Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you going to watch ONE's debut on Prime Video?
This poll is closed.
Yes 10 25.00%
No 8 20.00%
I don't know what that is 5 12.50%
I don't know what that is but gently caress Jeff Bezos 17 42.50%
Total: 40 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

One of the secret funniest parts about MMA over the last few years is how, between Stipe reaching the top, Ngannou becoming a fully-rounded fighter, Gane's meteoric rise, Aspinall as a prospect, the hype behind guys like Don'Tale Mayes and Juan Espino and Chris Daukaus etc. there was this sense that maybe, just maybe, heavyweight was finally getting to that long-theorized point where there were enough big, athletic, well-rounded heavyweights that you could finally get a top ten that looked legit and competitive and not sloppy

and the universe shrieked in horror at the threat of the cosmic balance being upset and said no, this is heavyweight. most of those guys either actually suck, have broken legs or are leaving the sport because they aren't getting paid poo poo. Tai Tuivasa is #2 on the planet. Andrei Arlovski is on a winning streak for the first time in a decade. your next hyped prospect is a Dominican boxer you've never heard of named Salsa Boy. the undisputed king of non-UFC heavyweights is Ryan Bader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

BlindSite posted:

The steroid golems were for sure the best pageant. I am kind of loving the Elite athlete era were kinda heading toward. Not only do you get to see dudes like Usman. You also get a sloppy mess like Tuivasa because trashweight never die.

The grand unifying theory of fighters winning titles they really shouldn't is their children telling them the other guy would beat them up. Worked for bisping and I'm sure it will work for tai.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CarlCX posted:

One of the secret funniest parts about MMA over the last few years is how, between Stipe reaching the top, Ngannou becoming a fully-rounded fighter, Gane's meteoric rise, Aspinall as a prospect, the hype behind guys like Don'Tale Mayes and Juan Espino and Chris Daukaus etc. there was this sense that maybe, just maybe, heavyweight was finally getting to that long-theorized point where there were enough big, athletic, well-rounded heavyweights that you could finally get a top ten that looked legit and competitive and not sloppy

and the universe shrieked in horror at the threat of the cosmic balance being upset and said no, this is heavyweight. most of those guys either actually suck, have broken legs or are leaving the sport because they aren't getting paid poo poo. Tai Tuivasa is #2 on the planet. Andrei Arlovski is on a winning streak for the first time in a decade. your next hyped prospect is a Dominican boxer you've never heard of named Salsa Boy. the undisputed king of non-UFC heavyweights is Ryan Bader.

Trashweight gonna trashweight

I do kind of miss the 2008-2011 era of huge dudes who look like cartoon characters heavyweight

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CarlCX posted:

The undisputed king of non-UFC heavyweights is Ryan Bader.

Oof

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Amazing write-up as always, but I think this is the first one I've seen without a :piss: on the menu

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Chromatics posted:

Amazing write-up as always, but I think this is the first one I've seen without a :piss: on the menu

Yeah, it's kind of a weird card that way. There are a lot of fights that I think are very interesting, but they're all interesting stylistically or divisionally rather than because they're going to be pissometer-tripping mayhem. Like, Usman/Edwards is a thoroughly relevant and fascinating match, but is it guaranteed to be fun to watch? Not even remotely. Aldo and Dvalishvili COULD be wild, but it could just as easily be Aldo landing potshots and defending takedowns and clinches for 15 minutes. Pedro/Hunsucker is virtually guaranteed to be a fun knockout, but it's so pathetic a matchup that it's hard to recommend. The heavyweights will probably be a wrestling and clinching match, the women's fights didn't look promising, Fletcher/Loosa will probably be wrestley as hell, etc. I think Aoriqileng/Perrin and Albazi/Figueiredo have the most on-paper mayhem potential but those could also pretty easily turn into grinds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
was reading usman's wikipedia page out of boredom and came across this tidbit:

"On 2011, Usman served as the wrestling coach for Team Miller in The Ultimate Fighter season fourteen."

i really liked that season, and was really sad to watch what happened to mayhem. this also makes usman a strong contender for second most remarkable coach of a tuf season. the first obviously being the shitfaced frenchman.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

was reading usman's wikipedia page out of boredom and came across this tidbit:

"On 2011, Usman served as the wrestling coach for Team Miller in The Ultimate Fighter season fourteen."

i really liked that season, and was really sad to watch what happened to mayhem. this also makes usman a strong contender for second most remarkable coach of a tuf season. the first obviously being the shitfaced frenchman.

Always gotta watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uhuSimf-A

e: also got to say i like stanky from team jds

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

Always gotta watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uhuSimf-A

e: also got to say i like stanky from team jds

i literally watched exactly that video mere seconds before refreshing to see your post. it's so good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gsp pleading with his team to not gently caress with him is hilarious.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ehhh thees guy jean charles iz, ow you say? fully unhinged?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

ehhh thees guy jean charles iz, ow you say? fully unhinged?

a free tinker

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Never thought about it until now but it’s funny that GSP, of all people, was the one to bring in an unhinged, drunk Frenchman to beat the poo poo out of his TUF team.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

Never thought about it until now but it’s funny that GSP, of all people, was the one to bring in an unhinged, drunk Frenchman to beat the poo poo out of his TUF team.

according to the bastion of all things accurate and true - the youtube comments - jean charles in an interview after the show aired said he went into the tuf gym with the idea that some of these guys were probably hot heads that may need a careful introduction to what he's about in the form debilitating kicks and knees to the body so that they'd be more receptive to instruction the next day. he was unaware that the greatest welterweight ever had already said to them that they were to not gently caress with him under any circumstances while displaying the palpable anxiety of a mother about to leave her children at day care alone for two hours for the first time.

regardless, apparently the instruction went extremely well and the guys learned heaps.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
PFL prelims have begun, for those who observe.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FishBowlRobot posted:

GSP once wrote a letter to the judge in the case of one of Canada’s biggest drug busts, to ask them to go easy on sentencing his best friend Jimmy. Y’know, Canada’s Playboy of Pot or whatever the media called him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gsp has to be in the running for most wedgies received by a future mma fighter in primary school, yet he grew up to be best friends with a weed kingpin. if gsp didn't write 'whose a loving big gay dork now' on a rock and throw it in a lake after writing that letter then he should.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

gsp has to be in the running for most wedgies received by a future mma fighter in primary school, yet he grew up to be best friends with a weed kingpin. if gsp didn't write 'whose a loving big gay dork now' on a rock and throw it in a lake after writing that letter then he should.

add something about white nerd who gets all the hot dark skinned models pregnant :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/PFLMMA/status/1561056100027232257

ouch, I can feel those kicks

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

God drat I love a leg kick KO

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/PFLMMA/status/1561092426323726336

Haven't seen a semi conscious fighter try to take down the ref in a while

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

LOL Mike Perry just won an absolutely terrible decision over MVP in BKFC

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010430

PFL is over, BKFC is over, GDT never stops. UFC prelims start in an hour thanks to the Miranda Maverick/Shanna Young fight getting scratched.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^ And Usyk vs Joshua 2 should be coming up as well. Last fight before theirs is in the last round

That was something all right.

Great way for it to go to a draw after 5 and get a 6th round cause BKFC why not!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Marching Powder posted:

according to the bastion of all things accurate and true - the youtube comments - jean charles in an interview after the show aired said he went into the tuf gym with the idea that some of these guys were probably hot heads that may need a careful introduction to what he's about in the form debilitating kicks and knees to the body so that they'd be more receptive to instruction the next day. he was unaware that the greatest welterweight ever had already said to them that they were to not gently caress with him under any circumstances while displaying the palpable anxiety of a mother about to leave her children at day care alone for two hours for the first time.

regardless, apparently the instruction went extremely well and the guys learned heaps.

Danaher cracking everyone up as he admits the coaching staff have no idea how it's going to go, is both charming but sort of scary coming from a man who does nothing but seek control over as many aspects of life as he can.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fentry posted:

LOL Mike Perry just won an absolutely terrible decision over MVP in BKFC

I actually thought that was a rare reasonable decision. Like, it's boxing rules, so round 1 was an automatic 10-8 for Perry, then Page easily won the next three rounds, then he was gassed as hell in the fifth and got outstruck by Perry's lovely winging clinch punches, so that makes the main fight a 47-47 draw, and Page had about 30 seconds of gas for the sudden death round and barely threw a thing for the rest of it, and even though Perry still looked like poo poo, he was occasionally landing punches.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Danaher cracking everyone up as he admits the coaching staff have no idea how it's going to go, is both charming but sort of scary coming from a man who does nothing but seek control over as many aspects of life as he can.

great now i'm trying to picture jean charles and danaher attempting to hang out and really lolling

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Joshua and Usyk are ranking in, it varies on a few sites, $35M or $75M each for this fight. And that is not including cut and sponsors.

Cruz vs Vera whole card's payouts was $1,949,000 between 28 fighters.

gently caress Dana White

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i have no facts to back this up but i am positive that the mafia, the yakuza, and dutch crime gangs all compensate their fighters a greater percentage of their net than dana white does

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Joe's tie already looks like it's 3am, still less offensive than Cormiers grey suit grey shirt combo

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

his shirt is kinda see-thru

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

100 million bucks can't buy you style or taste

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

butros posted:

100 million bucks can't buy you style or taste

It can, if you give it to me. I will give you style and taste, no problem.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

gsp pleading with his team to not gently caress with him is hilarious.

There was a similar video from either Tristar or Jack/Wink where they'd brought in some long, rangey Muay Thai guy from Thailand to emulate Condit, and there was the 'go very easy with him' speech, because I imagine a Muay Thai guy's idea of hard sparring is probably a bit different to most people's

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

There was a similar video from either Tristar or Jack/Wink where they'd brought in some long, rangey Muay Thai guy from Thailand to emulate Condit, and there was the 'go very easy with him' speech, because I imagine a Muay Thai guy's idea of hard sparring is probably a bit different to most people's

when thai guys would stop by my gym our instructions have always been to start very light and let them set the pace and power and absolutely do not teep them. can't remember if it was teeps in general or if it was just teeps to the face but apparently that is mondo disrespectful in thailand and only acceptable in fights.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

when thai guys would stop by my gym our instructions have always been to start very light and let them set the pace and power and absolutely do not teep them. can't remember if it was teeps in general or if it was just teeps to the face but apparently that is mondo disrespectful in thailand and only acceptable in fights.

That is very interesting and I wonder where it comes from. I also wonder if there's equivalents in other martial arts aside from the obvious "don't fart while you're in north/south"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

That is very interesting and I wonder where it comes from. I also wonder if there's equivalents in other martial arts aside from the obvious "don't fart while you're in north/south"

well the start slow and light thing is to stop them killing you. the teep thing, and i just googled to confirm my rapidly failing memory, is that the bottom of your feet is considered low and dirty in thailand so you shouldn't even do things like sit cross legged or with your legs stretched out and pointing those lowly things at other people. and never, ever have your soles above someone else's head. so i think it might have been just don't loving teep them.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

Might be a Buddhist thing, sometimes showing the soles of the feet is seen as disrespectful.
That said, it could just be fighters going nah gently caress off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

well the start slow and light thing is to stop them killing you. the teep thing, and i just googled to confirm my rapidly failing memory, is that the bottom of your feet is considered low and dirty in thailand so you shouldn't even do things like sit cross legged or with your legs stretched out and pointing those lowly things at other people. and never, ever have your soles above someone else's head. so i think it might have been just don't loving teep them.

The other aspect of slow and light is in keeping with a universal phenomenon that no one wants to be the person who says 'can you go a bit softer please?' John Will, one of Australia's top BJJ guys, said he observed that phenomenon in groups as diverse as soldiers, professional fighters and little old ladies. So, his rule was always go softer than you think you need to until you're asked to go harder, no matter how silly that might seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

The other aspect of slow and light is in keeping with a universal phenomenon that no one wants to be the person who says 'can you go a bit softer please?' John Will, one of Australia's top BJJ guys, said he observed that phenomenon in groups as diverse as soldiers, professional fighters and little old ladies. So, his rule was always go softer than you think you need to until you're asked to go harder, no matter how silly that might seem.

Nah that's legit and common across all the combat sports I've done. The better or more experienced persin sets the pace always, and if you don't know the person at all and are considered equal-ish start slow and work into a rhthym that fits you both.

The people you train with all the time you already have established pace and power with so the only conversations are usually adjusting your usual rhythm to accommodate injuries or to prepare for upcoming competitions.