Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I decided to run a campaign in Alkenstar..my players seemed hype at the idea of steampunk, and I can shamelessly steal content from the Alkenstar modules. It's win/win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I was surprised tonight to find out the module we are using has multiple chases but no implementation for chase points.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah I just finished my first session as well. Beginner's Box on FoundryVTT with six people, most of whom I've ran through D&D5e campaigns on Roll20 in the past.

I had a great time and they did too. Prep was effortless, but mostly I loved that things just made sense for me as a DM. There were a lot more direct mechanical rules for doing things, and I had to do so much less rulings on the fly. Except the Aid action which felt surprisingly vague. Felt like 5e with having to make rulings based on their suggestions of what they thought would count as Aid. Only thing that stood out to me compared to all the other actions in and out of combat.

We're not done yet, probably have one more session for the Beginner's Box, maybe two. Then into Troubles in Otari!

Super impressed so far with both PF2e and Foundry and the premium module.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rythian posted:

Yeah I just finished my first session as well. Beginner's Box on FoundryVTT with six people, most of whom I've ran through D&D5e campaigns on Roll20 in the past.

I had a great time and they did too. Prep was effortless, but mostly I loved that things just made sense for me as a DM. There were a lot more direct mechanical rules for doing things, and I had to do so much less rulings on the fly. Except the Aid action which felt surprisingly vague. Felt like 5e with having to make rulings based on their suggestions of what they thought would count as Aid. Only thing that stood out to me compared to all the other actions in and out of combat.

We're not done yet, probably have one more session for the Beginner's Box, maybe two. Then into Troubles in Otari!

90% of the time, the answer for Aid is "They make the same skill roll, against a flat DC 20".

If they're aiding an attack roll, have them literally just roll an attack roll (as in their normal weapon strike), as if against an AC of 20.

If the player would like to use a different skill or use a skill in place of an attack roll, and is capable of conjuring up sufficiently convincing bullshit to allow them to do so, go ahead and allow it, and adjust the DC of the check up or down as appropriate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rythian posted:

Except the Aid action which felt surprisingly vague. Felt like 5e with having to make rulings based on their suggestions of what they thought would count as Aid. Only thing that stood out to me compared to all the other actions in and out of combat.

I don't know if you've seen the additional guidance in the Gamemastery Guide, but it's somewhat helpful:
It's up to you whether someone's preparation is enough to let them Aid an ally. The preparation should be specific to the task at hand. Helping someone hold a lockpick steady might be enough preparation to Aid an attempt to Pick a Lock, but just saying you're going to “encourage” them likely wouldn't. Second, the character who is attempting to Aid needs to be in a proper position to help, and able to convey any necessary information. Helping a character Climb a wall is pretty tough if the character a PC wishes to Aid is nowhere near them. Similarly, a character usually needs to be next to their ally or a foe to Aid the ally in attacking the foe. You'll also need to determine how long the preparation takes. Typically, a single action is sufficient to help with a task that's completed in a single round, but to help someone perform a long-term task, like research, the character has to help until the task is finished.

That said, a lot of the time, Aid doesn't help. It's a Circumstance bonus, and if they're already getting a Circumstance bonus from another source, the Aid may not do anything at all.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Circumstance bonuses aren't that common. Usually it's if they're already getting a bonus from another feat they have.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, I think I might just set a base rule of "make the same skill check/attack roll against the same DC/AC or 20, whichever is lower." (I think the DC 20 is a bit high early on, considering they have to spend action and reaction for just a +1).

Thanks for the advice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Toshimo posted:

That said, a lot of the time, Aid doesn't help. It's a Circumstance bonus, and if they're already getting a Circumstance bonus from another source, the Aid may not do anything at all.

There's a rule about not stacking circumstance bonuses right? I couldn't find it when I was trying to tell our gunslinger about it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Harold Fjord posted:

There's a rule about not stacking circumstance bonuses right? I couldn't find it when I was trying to tell our gunslinger about it

It's not specific to circumstance bonuses. In each bonus class (Circumstance/Item/Status), you use the highest bonus and penalty of each type, and disregard the rest. They are also bounded -4 to +4. So, there's always a manageable number of individual bonuses/penalties applied to any roll.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rythian posted:

Yeah, I think I might just set a base rule of "make the same skill check/attack roll against the same DC/AC or 20, whichever is lower." (I think the DC 20 is a bit high early on, considering they have to spend action and reaction for just a +1).

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah. The Core Rulebook says "20, but feel free to mod easier/harder", so I'd start with a 16 at level 1 and just crank it by 1 per level until it hits 20 at level 5 and just leave it there forever with exceptions for especially novel edge cases.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
You do really want to modify that DC 20 later on unless you are prepared for Aid to become a universal bonus once a character is high level and has Assurance.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. The Core Rulebook says "20, but feel free to mod easier/harder", so I'd start with a 16 at level 1 and just crank it by 1 per level until it hits 20 at level 5 and just leave it there forever with exceptions for especially novel edge cases.

A good rule of thumb is that the Aid check should never be harder than the actual check. (Unless something weird is going on).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hyphz posted:

You do really want to modify that DC 20 later on unless you are prepared for Aid to become a universal bonus once a character is high level and has Assurance.

Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The best feat in pathfinder is the one that lets you shout encouragement for aid, though it is hard to constantly come up with fun new things to shout

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 17, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Yeah, it still takes actions

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I think a good alternate for aid as opposed to 20 is whatever the main check DC is minus 5.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
In my campaign I've been using the DCs by level when my players want to take an aid action.
So when aiding an attack against a monster, I use the monster's level to set the DC. Same with other stuff that has a level, like hazzards.
For challenges that don't have a level I just use their player level and adjust the DC depending on the difficulty on the task using the DC adjustments table.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Autodrop Monteur posted:

In my campaign I've been using the DCs by level when my players want to take an aid action.
So when aiding an attack against a monster, I use the monster's level to set the DC. Same with other stuff that has a level, like hazzards.
For challenges that don't have a level I just use their player level and adjust the DC depending on the difficulty on the task using the DC adjustments table.

That's fine provided the DC ends up less than the original DC of the check. The whole point is that helping someone else should be easier because the result of success is less (the helped person getting a bonus rather than the whole task succeeding)

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Yep, that's exactly what I'm aiming for. I feel like the player characters should be able to help each other out, especially at the lower levels.
Pathfinder 2E is all about teamwork and it's a shame the original rule with the suggestion of DC20 kinda scares new players away from that.

This is the first time my players are playing 2E after years of D&D 5E and they're really enjoying the teamwork in battle instead of having a bunch characters acting together individually.

They love it when they get to know their demoralize/grapple/helping actions made the difference in turning a miss into a hit or a hit into a crit.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Just to be clear, when a stat block says "DC 32 Weed Lore (trained) to create high quality weed butter, DC37 Nature (expert) pack the makeshift apple bong, or DC40 Religion (master) to loosely roll a joint" the PC needs to have expert training in nature or master training in religion to do those things

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
What are good item rewards for a construct inventor? I'm adjusting some of the loot tables/shops in Abomination Vaults to account for a Monk, Inventor, Swashbuckler, and Wizard, but I kind of have no idea what a pet class like that would want/use. Are there any specific items that Inventors want to keep a lookout for? Or are they good if they're able to keep a steady stream of gold flowing their way?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Arrrthritis posted:

What are good item rewards for a construct inventor? I'm adjusting some of the loot tables/shops in Abomination Vaults to account for a Monk, Inventor, Swashbuckler, and Wizard, but I kind of have no idea what a pet class like that would want/use. Are there any specific items that Inventors want to keep a lookout for? Or are they good if they're able to keep a steady stream of gold flowing their way?

Crafters Eyepiece is as mandatory as level appropriate weapon and armor runes.

Beyond that, the Backfire Mantle specifies splash damage from alchemical items, but if you want to houserule something similar for inventor explosions/splashes, it would probably be a welcome thing for both the Inventor, AND his melee friends.

A lot of the Companion Items https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=41&Subcategory=43 Provide nice bits of utility or roleplay fun and would work well w/ a construct innovation as well.

Beyond that, it’s the usual mix of items that anyone would want. For consumables, have a look at Gadgets as flavorful alternatives to potions and talismans. https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=15&Subcategory=71

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sugar free jazz posted:

Just to be clear, when a stat block says "DC 32 Weed Lore (trained) to create high quality weed butter, DC37 Nature (expert) pack the makeshift apple bong, or DC40 Religion (master) to loosely roll a joint" the PC needs to have expert training in nature or master training in religion to do those things

I would like to play in this Adventure Path

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Chevy Slyme posted:

Crafters Eyepiece is as mandatory as level appropriate weapon and armor runes.

Beyond that, the Backfire Mantle specifies splash damage from alchemical items, but if you want to houserule something similar for inventor explosions/splashes, it would probably be a welcome thing for both the Inventor, AND his melee friends.

A lot of the Companion Items https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=41&Subcategory=43 Provide nice bits of utility or roleplay fun and would work well w/ a construct innovation as well.

Beyond that, it’s the usual mix of items that anyone would want. For consumables, have a look at Gadgets as flavorful alternatives to potions and talismans. https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?Category=15&Subcategory=71

That Backfire Mantle is sick, my party has a bomb happy alchemist so we all definitely need to save up and buy some of those.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Syrinxx posted:

I would like to play in this Adventure Path

Tosh, this please

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Epi Lepi posted:

That Backfire Mantle is sick, my party has a bomb happy alchemist so we all definitely need to save up and buy some of those.

It was recently pointed out to me that bullets have the alchemical tag so it should even work on scatter guns.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Rythian posted:

Nice, I'm doing a IRL playthrough of it as well but with four players. Did you tinker with the encounters? My players have blasted through the first floor while one-shotting some enemies with lucky rolls. It almost feels like I'm missing some important rule 💩

My plan is to trigger the second part of abomination vaults as soon as they finish the beginner's box and stitch together the two somehow.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I've upped the amounts of enemies by 50% or made some of them into Elites. Most battles have been easy, but the crypt battle downed three of them. They survived, though. It's going well!

Balancing the end boss seems the toughest for me, making that thing Elite will bump it's AC up pretty high, and I don't want the fight to be miss, miss, miss. But ultimately my hope with PF2e is to be able to trust the system without having to tweak monster stats beyond weak/elite or adding/removing monsters.

Might be hard for a tough solo boss when the party is 50% larger than intended though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Just do some behind the scenes fudging of the monsters absolute HP as the fight progresses. Or play it less as a monster and more as a tactical combat game where you're trying to murder the players. 50% more players means 50% more valid targets for AOE abilities

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Honestly just shoving more enemies in and using elite templates as appropriate within the xp budget has worked very well with 5 players and I don’t imagine it’s very different with 6

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Experimenting with the enemy creation rules and scaling up enemies to be higher levels. Hopefully this isn't a disaster!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jarvisi posted:

Experimenting with the enemy creation rules and scaling up enemies to be higher levels. Hopefully this isn't a disaster!

doing this exact thing right now as well. hopefully only some players get owned by whatever monstrosity I end up making and not all players

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Here's the only buff you need to add to the final enemy of the Beginner's Box: play it a little more decently.

Part of its evaluated threat is the fact that it's written into its statblock to play it badly. Hit everyone with the breath weapon properly once and it's honestly even. Roll well on the recharge and hit them properly twice? That might even TPK.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Careful though. It's not as bad as what I've read about 5e but I've definitely had a level zero animated towel crit my level one player for half of HP on the first round of combat

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah one of the Elite Zombie Shamblers crit and would have completely one-shotted (from full health to 0) my cleric if he hadn't had Shield Block to absorb some of the hit. It can definitely be tough early going!

As for the end boss, what I mostly want to avoid is the party just failing to hit the drat thing over and over. In my experience the least fun way to buff enemies is to bump up their AC too high. It's much more fun for players to hit the monster, but it takes more hits, than whiffing entire attacks more often and doing no damage. The Elite template has been excellent so far, but the AC is already high on the boss, so I'm worried that will buff it too much.

Normally I would just add more enemies. I find that usually the best way to scale encounters. But part of what attracted me to PF2e is the idea that I can actually have meaningful tough combats vs solo bosses without action economy making it a joke challenge-wise. But of course, increasing group size by 50% is a pretty big jump.

I've got years of D&D5e DMing under my belt so adjusting monster stats is nothing new to me, but my hope is that PF2e will require less of that. I'm going to trust the encounter budget and use the elite template and see how it works.

Either that or I make two weaker dragons instead.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm running outlaws of Alkenstar for an oversized (6 instead of 4) player group, and I've gone with a mix of more enemies and stronger enemies for adjusting to scaling stuff correctly. For single big monsters just hitting elite isn't really enough, I think it is more enjoyable all around to directly give it a 50% HP increase without buffing AC enough to put it under a 50% hit rate for the players on average. Depending on the type of enemy, potentially reducing some of their actions from 2 to 1 or adding a free reaction might be appropriate as well, but it just depends on what you want to do with the encounter. A couple of minions might make more sense than a boss with extra actions, etc.

Overleveling is definitely dangerous to swingy dice because of the +10 roll = crit interaction, while bonus HP just means more time for cool interactions to play out/more time for you to RP a boss using all their moves and so on.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 20, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Is there a combo in any TTRPG as satisfying as the one two punch of Bon Mot into Demoralize?

It’s just, Action One: Say something profoundly mean about the goblins mother. Action two: “what are you gonna do about it little goblin? Are you gonna cry and run away like a scared little goblin?”, and thanks to the -2 from the Bon Mot, it’s a crit success and now it’s frightened 2 and you and all of your friends proceed to murder the target.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Would be nice but it's the other way around, Demoralize into Bon Mot, no?

Bon Mot will reduce Perception checks and Will saves, but that won't help a Demoralize attempt, as Demoralize is an Intimidation check against target Will DC.

If you instead first successfully Demoralize the Frightened condition will reduce the targets DCs, so the Bon Mot Diplomacy roll will target a reduced Will DC.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Chevy Slyme posted:

Is there a combo in any TTRPG as satisfying as the one two punch of Bon Mot into Demoralize?

It’s just, Action One: Say something profoundly mean about the goblins mother. Action two: “what are you gonna do about it little goblin? Are you gonna cry and run away like a scared little goblin?”, and thanks to the -2 from the Bon Mot, it’s a crit success and now it’s frightened 2 and you and all of your friends proceed to murder the target.

You are going to enjoy Bon Mot into Scare to Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

clusterfuck posted:

Would be nice but it's the other way around, Demoralize into Bon Mot, no?

Bon Mot will reduce Perception checks and Will saves, but that won't help a Demoralize attempt, as Demoralize is an Intimidation check against target Will DC.

If you instead first successfully Demoralize the Frightened condition will reduce the targets DCs, so the Bon Mot Diplomacy roll will target a reduced Will DC.

I would think that your Will DC is also reduced when your Will save is, since the number for your Will save bonus is what drives the DC. While it doesn't explicitly state this it would make it way more consistent with other things that reduce something (like the Clumsy condition reduces any Dexterity-based DCs like your Reflex DC or your AC).

You could run it either way at your table (it's not spelled out very clearly) as long as you're consistent about it though. This is one of the few things that lowers something that isn't by way of a codified condition.