Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

General Dog posted:

Are Utah and Wazzu and Oregon and Oregon State like, public ivies? No shade at those schools, I really don’t know, but that’s not my connotation.

My understanding is that save OSU and ASU the Pac12 schools are all pretty solid. Not amazing top to bottom, but pretty good schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

harperdc posted:

Right, but it’s difficult because there’s fewer candidates in the same footprint or as logical extensions, and far less precedent of what they value. The Pac-8 existed as it was for ~50 years before adding the Arizona schools in 1978, and then Colorado (a Public Ivy that was more so looking west socially as a school) and Utah (flagship public university of a growing state in the region).

I’m not sure what else matches that profile out west. SDSU, Fresno State, SJSU, Boise State (ehh) and Colorado Stare really is it.

This is part of my UC Irvine "joke" (is it a joke when I acknowledge it will never ever happen but think it's a good idea for it to happen). They immediately tick off all the academic boxes and they already are practically a Pac 12 member in Soccer and Baseball which are sports that matter out here at least a bit, and they have a div 1 basketball program that's decent enough that you could probably build it up to eventually competing.. Of course the fact that they've never played football is . . . . a problem . . . . . . . . . . .. . but whatever. Go Anteaters.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

General Dog posted:

Are Utah and Wazzu and Oregon and Oregon State like, public ivies? No shade at those schools, I really don’t know, but that’s not my connotation.

OSU is a very good school from an academic standpoint. Oregon and Utah are fine academically but both have other priorities at the moment.

I think that ASU and WSU are the better comparisons to adding SDSU. Both of those schools aren't necessarily big on academics and are known as party schools in their respective parts of the country. If folks are against SDSU joining because of their reputation, I would imagine it is because of WSU and ASU setting the bar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wish Hoover Dam was here to write 20 paragraphs at you about why ASU is actually a good academic school just because I miss that weirdo.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-should-the-big-ten-expand-next-we-crunched-the-numbers/amp/

Five thirty eight did a good article on this sort of question for the Big 10 specifically

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think of it like the circle of friends you keep. You're all different, but there's more commonalities than differences. If you're a group of ten Frasier Cranes, you're looking a Niles or, at worst, a Cam Winston. Bulldog is not what you want.

Universities are the same. Like the Big Ten tend to be massive research universities in engineering, ag, and the hard sciences with enormous undergraduate bodies. Pitt, for example, is a pretty good fit there. Virginia Tech too. Those guys are like the kind of guy you want to hang out with. UPenn and Princeton? Uh, probably not. They're cool and all, but they're in a different crowd.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some conferences have academic connections as well that go into things like sharing research.

Here is one example, The Big 10 Cancer Research Consortium.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

From memory, Cal, UCLA, Colorado and Washington are the top public schools academically in the conference. Oregon is in the AAU, Oregon State has every grant (land, sun, sea, space) and is a surprisingly good ag/engineering school, Wazzu similarly has good ag and research activity. All have endowments over $1 bil.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 8, 2022

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

I would hate this for Kentucky. I'm not sure where he goes though. Auburn? Tech?

Personally, I would love it if Mark Stoops got so mad at football being second fiddle at Kentucky to leave

One of the premier Big Ten jobs feels like the best fit for him, since he's made a lot of his hay recruiting Ohio at Kentucky

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

Personally, I would love it if Mark Stoops got so mad at football being second fiddle at Kentucky to leave

One of the premier Big Ten jobs feels like the best fit for him, since he's made a lot of his hay recruiting Ohio at Kentucky

Ah yeah, thats a good point--I always forget about them being Youngstown folks.

Maybe Wisconsin? Penn St and Ohio St will be occupied forever. Nebraska?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1590136846616760321

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Tennessee gets in by just falling forward after the last week, then, right

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Tennessee gets in by just falling forward after the last week, then, right

No they'd get jumped by Oregon because (if Oregon win out) they'd have 1 more win and be conference champs and Tenn. would have one less win and be a division runner-up.

They'd probably get jumped by LSU if LSU won out too.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 9, 2022

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Where does USC end up if they run the table? UCLA, Norte Dame, and Oregon (presumably) in the Pac 12 CG?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

a neat cape posted:

Where does USC end up if they run the table? UCLA, Norte Dame, and Oregon (presumably) in the Pac 12 CG?

If USC runs the table I’m positive they make it in. They’re a big name brand even if they’ve sucked for almost 20 years now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Probably No. 4, same as Oregon. 1-loss conference champ (assuming their competition here is Tennessee, who is only a divisional runner-up with 1 fewer win).

Where they are now and how many spots they would have to rise to get there do not matter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

a neat cape posted:

Definitely in, probably at absolute worst 4th behind an undefeated SEC champ UGA, an undefeated Big 10 champ of your choice, and undefeated TCU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The more interesting question I think is not Tenn. vs. 1-loss PAC-12 champ, but 1-loss PAC-12 champ vs. Clemson

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Counting on Gary Patterson to channel all of his remaining power into punishing TCU and the shiny new coach they replaced him with by loving up their playoff run.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Counting on Gary Patterson to channel all of his remaining power into punishing TCU and the shiny new coach they replaced him with by loving up their playoff run.

TCU is also jinxed now that they've climbed into the Top 4.

Perfect storm. Texas is gonna beat TCU.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The more interesting question I think is not Tenn. vs. 1-loss PAC-12 champ, but 1-loss PAC-12 champ vs. Clemson

I think no matter what a one loss PAC-12 champ has better wins than Clemson unless I guess the whole fricken conference melts down. Right now Clemson’s best win is NC State plus whomever loses the ACC title game to Clemson.

USC as a one loss PAC-12 champ will have beaten Notre Dame so I don’t see how you take Clemson over them, plus higher quality wins.

UCLA as a one loss PAC-12 champ has better wins than Clemson with wins over USC and Oregon and Utah. Assuming all of those teams don’t melt down.

Oregon as a one loss PAC-12 champ has either two good wins over a UCLA team that beat everyone but Oregon, or a win over a decent UCLA team and a good USC team. Assuming USC beats ND, that’s kind of a transitive win over Clemson. Plus a pretty solid win over Utah that is better than any of Clemson’s wins.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I don’t really give a poo poo that UGA murdered Oregon, if they win out they should be in the playoff. They’ve clearly figured some poo poo out and Georgia certainly has no argument against second chances.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t really give a poo poo that UGA murdered Oregon, if they win out they should be in the playoff. They’ve clearly figured some poo poo out and Georgia certainly has no argument against second chances.

Also, Bo Nix has earned this in his 12th year of collegiate football.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

He really is. Wild that all he had to do was flee the plains.

Also I’m onboard with Oregon because it’s a tremendously damning indictment of Mario Cristobal—almost as much as his dogshit performance in coral gables.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LeeMajors posted:

He really is. Wild that all he had to do was flee the plains.

Also I’m onboard with Oregon because it’s a tremendously damning indictment of Mario Cristobal—almost as much as his dogshit performance in coral gables.

Mario getting owned is very funny.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think no matter what a one loss PAC-12 champ has better wins than Clemson unless I guess the whole fricken conference melts down. Right now Clemson’s best win is NC State plus whomever loses the ACC title game to Clemson.

USC as a one loss PAC-12 champ will have beaten Notre Dame so I don’t see how you take Clemson over them, plus higher quality wins.

UCLA as a one loss PAC-12 champ has better wins than Clemson with wins over USC and Oregon and Utah. Assuming all of those teams don’t melt down.

Oregon as a one loss PAC-12 champ has either two good wins over a UCLA team that beat everyone but Oregon, or a win over a decent UCLA team and a good USC team. Assuming USC beats ND, that’s kind of a transitive win over Clemson. Plus a pretty solid win over Utah that is better than any of Clemson’s wins.

These are all very good arguments, but have you considered that Clemson has been good recently and that seems to matter a whole lot to poll voters/the committee?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LeeMajors posted:

this is the strongest argument thus far. gently caress Cristobal

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

has anyone created a "hooked on bo nix worked for me" meme yet

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Remember how A&M had a ceremony where they presented Jimbo with a plaque commemorating his national championship win at A&M, with the year left blank to be filled in later? Well I remember, and I laugh.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
oregon has been surprisingly cool to watch. i've decided i'll allow it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

Remember how A&M had a ceremony where they presented Jimbo with a plaque commemorating his national championship win at A&M, with the year left blank to be filled in later? Well I remember, and I laugh.

I missed this pls share evidence

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh poo poo did I miss this? Splice w the VT future championship trophy case

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don’t remember this but I remember it’s predecessor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I extremely did not believe that Bo Nix was the answer for the ducks and I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop but uhhhh that dude is ballin out for real. He has only done a few insanely stupid things since the UGA game.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Thermos H Christ posted:

As well you should, because that is some funny rear end poo poo.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

couple things about Oregon:

- I'd be all for Bo Nix getting a fifth crack at UGA's defense because lol why not, maybe now he won't throw interceptiohahahaaha

- It's tough to weigh UGA's Mesozoic asskicking of Oregon because the Ducks clearly packed it in after halftime (while UT was still desperately trying to do anything against UGA and running into a brick wall while the Dawgs were happy to just run out the clock)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if we, and hear me out here, put Bama in at 4?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Warbird posted:

It's going to drive people insane when a non-SEC West champ 2 loss Bama gets put in

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Warbird posted:

Been so long since you’ve had a four loss season you want to know what it feels like again?

I’m assuming Auburn is going to beat y’all because interim coach and weak Bama team seems like a prime year for Auburn bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh I fully expect Lane to sneak one in and there is too much bullshit going on for Auburn to not pull out a win.