Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Interesting to see the difference in managerial styles. One draws a brain and a heart holding hands, another talks about his micropenis. Wonder if Football Manager can work this tactical nuance into their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Vinestalk posted:

Interesting to see the difference in managerial styles. One draws a brain and a heart holding hands, another talks about his micropenis. Wonder if Football Manager can work this tactical nuance into their game.

I doubt it'd be that hard to add a penis size slider to the manager creation module.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sean 'the worm worrier' dyche to Everton is a done deal. Expecting grit, tackles, pies, headers, and aggression

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

the sex ghost posted:

Sean 'the worm worrier' dyche to Everton is a done deal. Expecting grit, tackles, pies, headers, and aggression

Just in time for the Merseyside Derby. That's just wonderful.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Arsenal are upping their caicedo bid to £75m which seems a bit mental

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 30, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the sex ghost posted:

Don't forget poo poo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't forget poo poo

He's managing Everton, yes

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

have chelsea submitted a bit for kaoru mitoma yet?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

have chelsea submitted a bit for kaoru mitoma yet?

I think they're still busy trying to offer all the money for Enzo Fernandes. I think Caicedo is next, anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Arsenal are upping their caicedo bid to £75 which seems a bit mental

The trick was getting Edu and Arteta to hang out with Josh Kroenke and make him think he's a cool dude. Now we've got free money

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

After Frank’s been there? May not be likely

Also not convinced Caicedo is worth 75 million tbh

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

harperdc posted:

After Frank’s been there? May not be likely

Also not convinced Caicedo is worth 75 million tbh

Same, especially for a squad player. Hopefully Edu got something else cooking I think Brighton are not gonna bend.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Arsenal are upping their caicedo bid to £75m which seems a bit mental

Have you considered

TyrantWD posted:

With Arsenal looking like they won't be able to bring in another midfielder, City are going to stroll to the title. Our whole system collapses when Sambi plays, and as the only fit backup for Partey and Xhaka, he is probably going to play a lot more than we would like.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Who knows how things shake out, but 75 million to insure against collapse in a rare year you’ve got a genuine chance to win the title doesn’t seem so bad. It’s one of those where you’re paying a 30m tax because of circumstances and it’s a gamble but I wouldn’t hate it

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

blue footed boobie posted:

Have you considered

You could put tierney at LB and have zinchenko go into midfield which would have the bonus of making martinelli more of a threat. I just think there are probably better options!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Arsenal are just going to end up panic buying Tielemens for stupid money on Tuesday aren't they?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Which would be an odd move, since he's very much not cover for Partey.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

the sex ghost posted:

He's managing Everton, yes

No thoughts on yet another American, Weston McKinney moving to Leeds? Or is that just faff in the wind.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TheRat posted:

Which would be an odd move, since he's very much not cover for Partey.

Arsenal already have a barrister and superinjunction as cover for Partey though

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

webmeister posted:

Arsenal already have a barrister and superinjunction as cover for Partey though

He paid for that himself!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Arsenal are just going to end up panic buying Tielemens for stupid money on Tuesday aren't they?

I honestly would be more okay paying overs for Tielemens since he has a good bit more Premier League experience and even if he’s not Partey cover, “Granit Xhaka, marauding 8” still gives me some worry.

Though is it as much as “Granit Xhaka, holding 6”? :thunk:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i’ve not had to know the meaning of any number other than 1, 9 and 10 until this season.

what the heck is a 6 or 8. aren’t they just midfielder numbers. have they always had a standard meaning or is this just more jargon the FM generation is trying to make a thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

6 is what wrong people call defensive midfielders (who should really be 4) and 8 is your more offensive type

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

6-8-10 are the midfield three in a 4-3-3, Partey would be the 6, xhaka the 8, Ødegaard the 10

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IMO Xhaka is closer to a 9. And if anyone on the team is a 10, it’s Holding.

E: nm I misunderstood

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

iirc it's all a holdover from the days when a football club would own fourteen shirts and you would get given one based on what position you were playing that day, and then give it back at the end of the game

even then I'm pretty sure it was just by convention that your wingers get 7 and 11 and so forth

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

i’ve not had to know the meaning of any number other than 1, 9 and 10 until this season.

what the heck is a 6 or 8. aren’t they just midfielder numbers. have they always had a standard meaning or is this just more jargon the FM generation is trying to make a thing.

Gerrard was an 8, prototypical box to box CM

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That was fast lol

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1620343585840238592

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

just the way they like em

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, in a 4-4-2 it was

9 - 10
11 - 6 - 8 - 7
3 - 4 - 5 - 2

Which never made any bloody sense.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

88 million pounds you say

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Dudley posted:

Yeah, in a 4-4-2 it was

9 - 10
11 - 6 - 8 - 7
3 - 4 - 5 - 2

4 was a DM in England, I think, so I guess that makes 6 the other CB? Though the numbers are different in other countries iirc, which makes the whole thing very confusing.

The numbering comes from the old pyramid formation (as in, inverting the pyramid). 1-11 was the order they lined up in and that changed over time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dudley posted:

Yeah, in a 4-4-2 it was

9 - 10
11 - 6 - 8 - 7
3 - 4 - 5 - 2

You see it's because the pyramid got invertedaaaaaaarghdfnednasfdmg

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1620381864937787393?s=46&t=s3rihcfOx_IfDBKcJC3lug

rut-roh

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1620394304027131904

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm amazed he ever returned to playing football after the Euros

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
loving Andy Carroll, iirc he wasn’t even booked for that tackle

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

You see it's because the pyramid got invertedaaaaaaarghdfnednasfdmg

yeah this

way back in the day you had the legendary 2-3-5 formation and the numbers lined up like:

7-8-9-10-11
4-5-6
2-3

but then eventually boring people decided you should have more defenders and midfielders so the 5 and 6 numbers dropped back to be centre backs and the 7 8 and 11 numbers dropped back to be midfielders and in god's own formation you ended up with these numbers for the different positions

9-10
7-8-4-11
2-5-6-3

and that's that in all our brains forever now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

And I guess the filthy Spaniards switched the 4 and 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

vyelkin posted:

yeah this

way back in the day you had the legendary 2-3-5 formation and the numbers lined up like:

7-8-9-10-11
4-5-6
2-3

but then eventually boring people decided you should have more defenders and midfielders so the 5 and 6 numbers dropped back to be centre backs and the 7 8 and 11 numbers dropped back to be midfielders and in god's own formation you ended up with these numbers for the different positions

9-10
7-8-4-11
2-5-6-3

and that's that in all our brains forever now

this would be predecessor of the legendary

W
M
formation which was popular up until the thirties when some country (i want to say austria) realised that you could win football games by actually defending, no?

between incredibly aggressive formations and no safety regulations it's no wonder all the attendance records are from, like, 1921