Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's a cool setup, but I see no signs of Dragon Force. You must play Dragon Force or Segata Sanshiro himself will pay you a visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ok I'm playing it and I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm gonna rule the Topaz kingdom as Leon.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GONGOS WILL MAKE YOU CHATTER LIKE A RABID MONKEY

emSparkly posted:

I had no idea Tempo ever got a sequel. It was probably the highlight of the 32X.

It got two sequels, Super Tempo on the Saturn, and Tempo Jr. on the Game Gear

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, but it seems like almost all of my battles come down to duels. It's been slow going because I'm constantly waiting for manpower to refresh. I did feel proud of maneuvering calvary around mage projectiles and flanking them to mop up, though.

I didn't know Zanon literally couldn't be beaten, lol. I was seemingly on an infinite XP loop at his castle; I beat his group, then he'd retreat, come right back, get beat again, rinse repeat. I probably would have just stayed there if I hadn't had a Skull Children group bee-lining for my castles.

There's so much to this game. Searching, fortifying, changing classes.. I bet a complete playthrough takes a long time. Very cool game so far though.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Had a pretty busy May so I didn't get as far as I wanted, but I really enjoyed what I played. I managed to occupy the Beastmen and Ninja castles, found the secret(?) Ninja Generals, and continued to wallop the immortal dude. I made it a point to throw throngs of low-level officers at tough-to-crack castles to soften up the garrisons before sending in the big hitters. Cavalry are awesome.

I bet this game takes forever to 100%. It's a great game and I'll probably keep playing my current campaign here and there. The translation is a little wonky, but for the most part it's not too bad. Great pick this month! I'm glad I finally gave it a try.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I bet this game takes forever to 100%.

100% is finishing the campaign with each of the eight monarchs. Yeah, that's a thing! They all have different story events, supporting characters, specializations, not to mention political/different views on what's going on.

Each campaign doesn't actually take too long, about 20 hours at most, unless you want to explore every nook in the map and take over every single castle and recruit every general. Then yeah that takes forever, but it's a valid play-style. You can get done with it quickly though if you bumrush the other monarchs before they become too strong themselves, which would slow down things considerably, capture nearly every each one of them (a couple of them can't for story reasons), then get the immortal guy at the northern (top) tower to organize your troops and power up your main character, defeat some invading dragons, defeat the three big bosses, and then finally defeat the final boss with a party exclusively made of every monarch.

Special characters like Zanon, or the good dragonman guy, or the vampire dude, they are all side stories you don't need to interact with at all. But it would be a waste not to on a first playthrough.

Additionally, when you start the game the first time, you can only pick 6 of the 8 main characters -- the other two unlock after you beat the game at least once.

TheHoosier posted:

Great pick this month! I'm glad I finally gave it a try.

I'm pretty happy more people took a chance at it. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but online talk always seem to center more around its collectable value instead of how people sat down and actually played it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's definitely a cool rear end game that I wish I had played at the time, or much sooner in general

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have two suggestions for the new month.

First, is Story of Thor 2 / Legend of Oasis

A gorgeous Zelda-like, and a prequel to the better known Mega Drive title. This one's got a decent difficulty (not too hard, not too easy), lot of variety in solving puzzles thanks to the 6 spirits and available items, and glorious orchestral music by Yuzo Koshiro.

If you've never experienced it before, it's one of those exclusives that you really should give a try.

While I'm using the Japanese cover because it's a cooler one, the game is fully translated in the NA and PAL releases. Doesn't have much text either if you do want to go with the Japanese version.

For some variety, my second suggestion is Sega Touring Car Championship

A port of the hardcore arcade racer. It's not a perfect conversion (framerate and texture popping up are messy), but it's still a fine exclusive racer. Best played with the analogue stick controller, but the digital racing wheel is fine, too. Wouldn't compare it to superior PS1 racers like Gran Turismo 2 or RR4 -- it's just a neat distraction where the goal is to learn how to do the perfect turns to shave off precious seconds to beat a track.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

A gorgeous Zelda-like, and a prequel to the better known Mega Drive title. This one's got a decent difficulty (not too hard, not too easy), lot of variety in solving puzzles thanks to the 6 spirits and available items, and glorious orchestral music by Yuzo Koshiro.

If you've never experienced it before, it's one of those exclusives that you really should give a try.

While I'm using the Japanese cover because it's a cooler one, the game is fully translated in the NA and PAL releases. Doesn't have much text either if you do want to go with the Japanese version.

A port of the hardcore arcade racer. It's not a perfect conversion (framerate and texture popping up are messy), but it's still a fine exclusive racer. Best played with the analogue stick controller, but the digital racing wheel is fine, too. Wouldn't compare it to superior PS1 racers like Gran Turismo 2 or RR4 -- it's just a neat distraction where the goal is to learn how to do the perfect turns to shave off precious seconds to beat a track.

I got the jp version of the latter. useful tip: do not play the game with automatic transmission, everything moves a little too quickly and you need the extra control manual offers. it’s pretty fun once you figure that out though, I just know a number of people who kind of threw their hands up with this game and wrote it off as they tried to play with automatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

so it shall be decreed