Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

sourdough posted:

Who was the worst transfer this season? Mudryk or Richarlison or someone else tops them?

For arsenal, Vieira looked pretty poor almost every time he played (to the best of my memory) but he's still young and might be able to improve enough to take up the Xhaka role, and €35m isn't like a massive fee anymore

Does Lampard count as a transfer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Leeds setting their club record transfer fee in the January window while they were in a relegation fight on a 20 year old striker that did gently caress all was a pretty terrible transfer

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

sourdough posted:

Who was the worst transfer this season? Mudryk or Richarlison or someone else tops them?

For arsenal, Vieira looked pretty poor almost every time he played (to the best of my memory) but he's still young and might be able to improve enough to take up the Xhaka role, and €35m isn't like a massive fee anymore

He also has a terrible David Brent goatee, and I feel like having bad hair of any kind is totally unacceptable for a footballer supposedly at Premier League level.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Feels bad singling out any one Chelsea transfer when there are so many to choose from.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
richarlison had a poo poo season but he also had to deal with injuries and being a striker in a team which no longer knows how to play with a striker who isn't also doing the work of an attacking midfielder, in addition to having a coach who had absolutely no interest in being there

i probably wouldn't defend him this much if he wasn't one of the few brazilian footballers who isn't a bolsanarist dickhead

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 29, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Richarlison has a tattoo of his own face on his back, clubs should sell players immediately when that happens

greazeball posted:

Yeah the owner who predicted his team of dipshit fuckups managed by Frank LLLLLLLampard would beat Real Madrid 3-0 in the Bernabeu is going to be content with just balancing the books and riding things out. They're going to spend £400 million and sack 4 managers next year.

Yeah of course it won’t happen lmao, Chelsea are going to keep on being hilarious.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

trem_two posted:

Leeds setting their club record transfer fee in the January window while they were in a relegation fight on a 20 year old striker that did gently caress all was a pretty terrible transfer

It's this, over £30 million, no goals in 264 minutes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's a dumb one but it's absolutely richarlison for £60m who got more bookings for taking his top off to celebrate disallowed goals than actual goals

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

richarlatan

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jose posted:

That's a dumb one but it's absolutely richarlison for £60m who got more bookings for taking his top off to celebrate disallowed goals than actual goals

wait is this true

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tristeham posted:

antony was a pretty bad signing

we definitely overpaid for him, since we basically strip-mined the best ajax team in years to the point where they finished third in the eredivisie this season

but he also scored goals (the plural of goal) this year, which puts him ahead of mudryk, rutter and richarlison

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Answers Me posted:

Vardy seems the type of player to do a Lee Trundle and play forever at whatever level will have him. He’ll be 50 and playing in the Southern League Division 7 East or whatever

I could see him go for the Loyal Club Hero Brings Them Back Up status and then bowing out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sourdough posted:

There are a lot of bad signings this year but the funniest bad signing was Arthur Melo because he was brought in on loan to shore up Liverpool's empty midfield at a cost of €4.5 million and then played a total of 13 minutes of first team football in one match that we lost 4-1.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyelkin posted:

There are a lot of bad signings this year but the funniest bad signing was Arthur Melo because he was brought in on loan to shore up Liverpool's empty midfield at a cost of €4.5 million and then played a total of 13 minutes of first team football in one match that we lost 4-1.

lol doing a Kim kallstrom

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

how many wastemen did Juve loan out this year with sale options just to have them come back after a year having fully cemented their position as wastemen?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

how many wastemen did Juve loan out this year with sale options just to have them come back after a year having fully cemented their position as wastemen?

There were 7 players on loan with options to buy (Kulusevski, McKennie, Zakaria, Arthur, Luca Pellegrini, Marco Pjaca, and Filippo Ranocchia) and only one (Kulusevski) might have the permanent option triggered.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

lol doing a Kim kallstrom

That’s not even a Kallstrom, it’s a Denis Suarez.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I’d like to nominate Martin Dúbravka for funniest for going on loan at Manchester United for the first half of the season but only playing twice in the Carabao Cup. He then terminated his loan in January to go back to Newcastle where he was cup-tied for the Carabao Cup Final against Manchester United and wasn’t eligible to play with Nick Pope suspended

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

And got a wimners medal for his team losing.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

nawilo_420 posted:

wait is this true

4 yellows for excessive celebration, 1 goal. So close to getting a one match ban for yellow card accumulation solely from celebrating disallowed goals

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
ray charles' son cant even see the goal

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

That’s not even a Kallstrom, it’s a Denis Suarez.

So what you're saying is it's not a Kallstrom, it's just made to look like a Kallstrom?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nawilo_420 posted:

wait is this true

lmao this was amazing

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Bogan Krkic posted:

4 yellows for excessive celebration, 1 goal. So close to getting a one match ban for yellow card accumulation solely from celebrating disallowed goals

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ArsenalHarmoni/status/1655841125611995136?t=UZkHsnfenwu3thEF1QcWyA&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1663486686066606080

What the actual gently caress is this nonsense? The Premier League's Oracle Most Powerful Goal award????

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Les Sealey, Man United's backup keeper from the early 90s posted:

United beat Norwich 3-1 in April 1993, to go one point behind leaders Villa, but Paul Ince had missed chance to play in Eric Cantona
As the players clatter down the corridor and into the away dressing room, Ferguson is waiting by the door. As each red shirt comes in, he pats them on the shoulder. Then Paul comes in, and Ferguson turns to him: “I’m disappointed in you, Ince. When the gently caress are you going to learn to look up when you’re on a run?”

Given that he’s been involved in one of the goals of Manchester United’s season, Paul looks like he’s just been slapped. He lunges for his manager, who stands his ground. The dressing room is divided by a treatment table. On one side of it, Paul is being held back by four of his team-mates screaming: “If that’s what you think, why don’t you sell me, you c---? Go on then, f------ sell me. You haven’t got the f------ bottle, have you?”

On the other side, Ferguson is standing bolt upright, gripping the table, refusing to take a step back. They glare at each other, two bulls fighting for control of the herd. Nobody moves. Second by imperceptible second, the crisis starts to deflate. Steve Bruce says: “Can I remind everyone in this room that we have just beaten Norwich 3–1?” Paul sits down. The manager leaves to give his press conference.

A few days later, Ferguson is sitting in his office at the Cliff [training ground] when he sees the barrel of a rifle poking through the gap in the door, which slowly swings open. There, pointing a double-barrelled shotgun straight at Ferguson’s chest, is Paul. They look straight into each other’s eyes.

“Don’t worry, gaffer,” Paul smiles. “It’s not loaded.”

More classic tales from United and the early days of the Prem here:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/05/30/les-sealey-book-manchester-united-alex-ferguson-paul-ince/

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Omg I love this

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Should have loving sold him when he gave himself his own nickname.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love Callum Wilson

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Should have loving sold him when he gave himself his own nickname.

had to wait for nicky butt to come good

at least he learned to shoot by the time he made it to management

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I went to Richarlison's Wikipedia page and was prepared to continue hating him but

quote:

Richarlison donates 10% of his salary to the Instituto Padre Roberto Lettieri, a home for cancer patients in Barretos, São Paulo state, and also supports 100 families in his hometown.[54] In November 2021, he called for his fellow professional footballers to take COVID-19 vaccines and ignore misinformation on the topic, citing the death of his first coach Sebastião José da Silva.[55] Though he did not endorse any candidate or party in the 2022 Brazilian general election,[56] he spoke out on social justice issues such as the environment, police violence and human rights.[57]

As far as Brazilian footballers are concerned he's a fuckin saint

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Richarlison strikes me very much as a guy you hate when he's on the other team and you love when he's on your side. He really buys into the fan culture and rivalries of each place he has been to and I don't think I've ever seen him put in a performance where he wasn't putting in full effort.

And you guys should love him because he was having a ton of fun trolling Liverpool fans after last year's European Cup defeat.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eric Cantonese posted:

Richarlison strikes me very much as a guy you hate when he's on the other team and you love when he's on your side. He really buys into the fan culture and rivalries of each place he has been to and I don't think I've ever seen him put in a performance where he wasn't putting in full effort.

And you guys should love him because he was having a ton of fun trolling Liverpool fans after last year's European Cup defeat.

On the other hand you probably hate him when he’s on your team too because he loving sucks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

On the other hand you probably hate him when he’s on your team too because he loving sucks.

When you go through 3 managers and none of them play you, maybe it's you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Off the pitch Richarlison is one of the best footballers but that doesn't mean it isn't funny that he got 4x more yellow cards for excessive celebration than goals scored

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When he’s not doing his job he’s the best at his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Imagine having gawky 12 year old boy body and ripping your shirt off at every possible opportunity.