Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Management posted:

I like the Eastern European name for mud season, Rasputitsa. Basically the season when roads are impassable

I really like that word too, but wouldn't describe it as the Eastern European name. It comes from Russian. You can deconstruct the word to something like "roads gone [season]".

Russian (and Old Church Slavonic before it) has influenced many languages because empire, so some EE languages use that word, but definitely not all!

For example the Ukrainian word for it is bezdorizhzhia which deconstructs to "without roads", but means the same thing, the mud season when the roads are impassable. In Polish there's bezdroże which is cognate to the Ukrainian word, but doesn't refer to the season but means something like "impassable wilderness" I think. I don't know Polish all that well though!

But my point is that words in Slavic languages often have similar meanings but the connotation can differ so in general I'd be careful saying a word is "the" Eastern European word.

I don't really have that much skin in the game so no national pride was hurt or anything. I'm just an amateur language nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How I could just kill a man

megane
Jun 20, 2008

dreezy posted:

what are some of the theorized early practical applications of moderately more powerful quantum computers? like not necessarily commercially or at scale but something limited but still a quantum leap :rimshot: ahead of regular computers?

Mostly stuff where the actual problem itself involves quantum physics, like atomic chemistry and material science. Designing new types of drugs and materials useful for batteries, for example. At such small/exotic scales, the things you’re simulating can be (in actual physical reality) in superposition and entangled with each other*. A classical computer can do this stuff, but it’s extremely inefficient - double/quadruple/whatever the workload every time you add a single particle. This gets infeasible, even with massive modern supercomputers, very very quickly.

A quantum computer, on the other hand, has quantum superposition and entanglement as natural properties of its data storage. The quantum state of a particle can be stored, and calculations done on it, just as easily as a classical computer stores and works with a Boolean true/false value. So they can do those sorts of simulations efficiently.

Basically it’s something classical computers are really, really bad at, and that quantum computers are perfectly suited for, so even a few hundred qubits will be enough to overtake terabytes of classical RAM.

* okay, literally everything is always in a quantum state, but it’s at extreme scales that that fact becomes relevant to the simulation

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

megane posted:

It’s true that a quantum computer can do things no classical computer - regardless of size - can do

This needs to be clarified a bit. There are some calculations that are only practical to do on quantum computers, but in principle there's nothing you can do with a quantum computer that you can't do with a classical computer. Furthermore, it's not known that quantum computers are fundamentally more efficient than classical computers for those problems; it may just be that we haven't discovered the right tricks yet.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Sex Farm posted:

everyone calling all sparkling wine Prosecco is the same loving thing everyone was doing wrong when they were calling all sparkling wine Champagne

Sorry this is wrong Prosecco isn't a controlled term like champagne is BC the Italians are cool like that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Correct me if I am wrong here, but "quantum computers" seem more like proof of concepts, than practical tools or applications (at this point).

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
True champagne only comes from the Wilmington region of Delaware.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Explain a thing people commonly misunderstand: the tornado doesn't suck off his truck

how does he drain his truck nutz?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The intensity of the sunlight is not tied to temperature. It can be a cold 45F on April 28th but that sunlight is almost as strong as it gets. For reference, the strength of the sun at the end of April is about equal to the strength of the sun at the end of August. Stay covered!

This is a skin cancer public service announcement.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In theory quantum computers could be vastly faster at breaking several common encryption methods.

One proposed stopgap method is to just repeatedly encrypt using existing quantum-vulnerable methods, since if it can be decrypted with the proper key in microseconds and it still takes several hours to quantum break, encrypting it a few million times would offer some quantum resistance while using existing libraries (until quantum computer speed up anyway)

This would lead to the movie hacking poo poo where they have a progress bar and "layers" of encryption to break.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a lot of people think the lincoln monument is marble but it's actually hollow plastic

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

kntfkr posted:

a lot of people think the lincoln monument is marble but it's actually hollow plastic

Is that anywhere near the Lincoln Memorial?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's not "party rockers in the house tonight", it's "party rock is in the house tonight"

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

He also has a drill that comes out of his truck to anchor him into the ground so the tornado doesn't suck off his truck.

"Tornado Sucked Off My Truck???"

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

The Management posted:

Cars generally put the fuel filler on the curb side of the country of origin. European and Korean cars on right, Japanese and British cars in the left.

Then there’s American cars who are basically random for every model.

It's pretty random in the UK too

We've had 5 cars in about 25 years and they seem to alternate from left side to right side

We've had the current one less than a year and I still need to look at the wee indicator on the dashboard when I'm filling up (this one is non kerb side)

I would have thought it's the same everywhere as it makes petrol stations easier to manage without having to have long hoses everywhere

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We are made from the exact same big cloud of dust and gas as the Sun. You, me, The Earth, all of the Solar System. The Sun ain't all that. Sure, fusion is a neat trick, but don't act all hoighty toighty.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
in old poems and stories that say the moon is made of "green cheese," they were not referring to the color. They meant "green" as in "new" or not aged. Fresh cheeses, like mozzarella or ricotta or paneer, etc. Which are white, like the moon appears to be. Also nobody actually thought the moon was cheese it was just a cute thing to say.

Gaol and gaoler are just pronounced "jail" and "jailer"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rubber Chicken posted:

Is that anywhere near the Lincoln Memorial?

Its in the same shopping mall, yes

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
There's a big difference between someone having a seizure versus someone having convulsions, although these two are easily confused by observers.

Convulsions are involuntary spasms which can happen while conscious or unconscious. This can lead to sprains or muscle soreness.

Seizures are specifically due to electrical communication problems in the brain. These can cause a person to move in a similar fashion to someone in convulsions, but are more dangerous as they can cause permanent damage in the brain.

It's important to tell medical professionals the correct one if you can for clarity and treatment.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Amphigory posted:

It's pretty random in the UK too

We've had 5 cars in about 25 years and they seem to alternate from left side to right side

We've had the current one less than a year and I still need to look at the wee indicator on the dashboard when I'm filling up (this one is non kerb side)

I would have thought it's the same everywhere as it makes petrol stations easier to manage without having to have long hoses everywhere

“kerb” is some kind of flightless bird, I presume?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rat Patrol posted:

in old poems and stories that say the moon is made of "green cheese," they were not referring to the color. They meant "green" as in "new" or not aged. Fresh cheeses, like mozzarella or ricotta or paneer, etc. Which are white, like the moon appears to be. Also nobody actually thought the moon was cheese it was just a cute thing to say.

Here's one that always irks me: Folks think Wallace & Gromit came up with that.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

American houses are 240V, two phase. if you have money to fix it afterward you too can have a hot cup of tea

Its single phase

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sprains aren't a minor injury below tears in seriousness. Level 2 and 3 sprains are partial and full tears respectively.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sprains aren't a minor injury below tears in seriousness. Level 2 and 3 sprains are partial and full tears respectively.

Not everyone is a crybaby tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Not everyone is a crybaby tho

Ice up son!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

just rub some dirt on it and get back on the field

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

just rub some dirt on it and get back on the field

This guy gets it

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Walk it off.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shake it out

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Nitro cold brew does not have to be brewed cold. Also, the nitrogen is added later.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The paintings all depict him standing up but George Washington was passed out, trashed when he crossed the Delaware.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

The paintings all depict him standing up but George Washington was passed out, trashed when he crossed the Delaware.

Bro was Weekend at Bernieing it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Despite what you may have heard, shocking the monkey is entirely optional

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

nullandvoid posted:

There's a big difference between someone having a seizure versus someone having convulsions, although these two are easily confused by observers.

Convulsions are involuntary spasms which can happen while conscious or unconscious. This can lead to sprains or muscle soreness.

Seizures are specifically due to electrical communication problems in the brain. These can cause a person to move in a similar fashion to someone in convulsions, but are more dangerous as they can cause permanent damage in the brain.

It's important to tell medical professionals the correct one if you can for clarity and treatment.

I actually got home from a lecture on epilepsy, so it's an interesting coincidence that I'd see this post

Brains are cool, except when they're not :psyboom:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Dubplate Fire posted:

Its single phase

no, your outlets are 120V single phase, your household is 240V two phase. Trust me, I have seen what happens if you mix the phases. Big badda boom

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

More accurately it's split phase. Basically a center tapped 240v transformer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

More accurately it's split phase. Basically a center tapped 240v transformer.

yeah, I just get annoyed about Europeans saying we don't have 240. I could have a microwave like that, but no one make it on this side of the pond

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Amphigory posted:

"Tornado Sucked Off My Truck???"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yeah, I just get annoyed about Europeans saying we don't have 240. I could have a microwave like that, but no one make it on this side of the pond

Do Europeans even know twisters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Do Europeans even know twisters?

no. I am pretty sure none of even watched the movie