Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And I just stripped the 1/4" threads I just tapped in the hardtop by accident. The hardtop is on the car so this motherfucker is getting some new threads via PURE CROSS THREADING ACTION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
You postu like gaijin and you drivu like gaijin.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm still getting a clunking noise from the driver's front, I think it might be the slider pins on the caliper or maybe something with the fender liner. I don't know/care.

Oh yeah, BMWCCA has a bunch of drivers that don't like to check their mirrors. My GoPro ran out of juice for the last session on Saturday, and on Sunday I didn't bother to bring it. I spent a decent amount of time tapping my fingers on the steering wheel waiting for people to corner 2 feet off the apex.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
S-s-s-safety bump.

Subtotal for 2014:

M-Tuned Rear Caliper Bracket: $131.95

Coming up:

- Spooky brakes
- Fuel pump
- Remount seats
- Rivals
- Re-tune
- Going fast

First weekend is April 5-6 at VIR North.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My exhaust is no longer vibrating up against the subframe. Oh, and it is no longer is resting on the bumper cover either.

Got 1 out of 3 boxes from Savington. This poo poo is comically huge.

Tech day is on Saturday, and I'm going to try to get a retune before the end of the month, but I probably need to burn a vacation day to do it... Need to see how much vacation time I can get away with this month, this is the only week where I'm working a full 5 days.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So if you wanna get this

Start off with this

And talk to Sav on Facebook pretty much everyday so you think turning your dining room into this

Seems like a good idea.

Also, I fixed my exhaust.

Not pictured: the Sport Master and Booster.

I still need to get a set of DTC-60s for the front, rear DTC-60s, rear Sport rotors, and an order into Mazdaspeed to get a bunch of fasteners (dust caps, axle nuts, camber bolts). I sent Fatcow the first pic, and he sent the second. :10bux: is hard.

Phone fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 8, 2014

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Looks like you've got enough money left over for the weekend :v

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How much did the master/booster set you back? And how do you know what to look for if you're getting them off a junked car? I'm seriously considering that upgrade, I'm tired of mushy pedal feel.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I asked for a booster, and I got the master attached, but the guy charged me $55 for both off of a 2005 with 55k miles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat that's a great deal. From what I've been reading in Keith's thread in MNET an 01-02 booster seems to be the way to go, but the problem is when I go to look on ebay it says what year cars it will fit and not which car it actually came out of.

[edit] Planet Miata's pricing is pretty drat good.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 9, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just grab one from an 03-05 since Sport brakes were standard equipment.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
You want the booster from a non-ABS Sport car, even if you have ABS. The ABS boosters were different (i.e. worse). You can use a non-ABS booster with an ABS master if your car has ABS.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I always forget that there are ABS Miatas out there.

Ordered the rest of the brake stuff: front pads, rear pads, rear rotors, axle nuts, and dust caps. The local shop was going to charge me close to $80 for the rear rotors, $41 shipped via Rockauto. :whatup:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is seriously becoming parody now.

"Hey uh, that thunderstorm that rolled through earlier today?"
Yeah?
"It killed a circuit board on the dyno, gonna have to reschedule."

SOUNDS EERILY SIMILAR TO LAST TIME

February 27, 2013

Phone posted:

Driving to the local shop to pop it on the dyno, get a phone call...

"Hey man, our dyno broke last night when I was tuning a GT3 Cup car."

:negative:

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 21, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You have the best luck. :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If both those times are the same shop, you need to find a new shop.

Seriously, who doesn't protect their loving dyno machine from power surges?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

leica posted:

Depending on the size of the surge, especially a lightning strike, you can't do poo poo except not have it plugged in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

It's not the same shop. The first shop is now too good to work on "customer's cars". Doesn't matter because I've been discovering that the guy who did the tune basically just picked random cells and potted it up and down.

The shop I'm using is the guy doogle suggested (400whp EF), and everything that I've heard has been good. I'm just trying to make sure that the fuel map is good and hopefully make an extra 10whp. Since I'm definitely not going to the dyno tomorrow, I think a friend is going to come over tomorrow and we're going to try to do a brake job on the car. A brake job as in... touch every single piece of the brake system (even the hard lines need to be massaged a bit).

$164.95 for new DTC-60s on all 4 corners. :getin:

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 22, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Welp, Tire Rack is out of 225 Rivals. I guess tires and an alignment is going to wait until after VIR North Course.

This weekend the 2 is getting a bath and I'm putting on the brakes. I put in an order at Silicone Intakes and I should be getting the car on the dyno next week. Pics this weekend!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did some things.

Hardcore prawns

Sick nasty dremel action

I call this one "20 Years, Then Dremel"

Savington really has a boner for laser etching

Rotor on

Sport rear rotor on the bottom, 1.8L rear rotor on top

Sport rear rotor still on the bottom, 1.8L front rotor on top. The front rotor had a nice lip on it.

To people who say "The rear pads don't do anything"

Get hosed

Not going to lie, getting the sport rears on was a pain in the rear end. The M-Tuned bracket is kinda janky, but the helicoil didn't pop out and it's on there.

I still need to install the prop valve, sport master, and sport booster and bleed it. I also need to borrow a drill and mount the hoses for the ducts. Oh yeah... I forgot about one thing:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh give me a brake :v:

It was like 55 up here yesterday. Quite nice for my junkyardapalooza, except the part where the permafrost melted so I was lying in a few inches of water on top of six inches of mud instead of a nice layer of ice.

That thing ought to stop on a dime now.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

kastein posted:

It would stop quicker with new tires :v

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

To people who say "The rear pads don't do anything"

Get hosed

Obvious parking brake wear.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You're in the NC Triangle area right? If you ever want a hand on evenings or weekends let me know, I'm in South Durham.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
You dont have to drive all the way to Raleigh to work on a beat rear end Miata. I'm in South Durham too.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I see stainless brake lines. Do they have any fancy orientation keepers on the caliper end like the stock ones do?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kastein posted:

Oh give me a brake :v:

It was like 55 up here yesterday. Quite nice for my junkyardapalooza, except the part where the permafrost melted so I was lying in a few inches of water on top of six inches of mud instead of a nice layer of ice.

The forecast here went from windshield cracking freezing to 70F. NC is weird.

destructo posted:

Rivals are out of stock, nooooooooooooooo. I know that you'd never run Wilwoods, though. Not JDM enough.

Wrar posted:

You're in the NC Triangle area right? If you ever want a hand on evenings or weekends let me know, I'm in South Durham.

Thanks for the offer, I think Fatcow is going to swing by after work because he works 3 miles away from my place... even though he lives in Durham.

iv46vi posted:

I see stainless brake lines. Do they have any fancy orientation keepers on the caliper end like the stock ones do?

The rears do, the fronts are interchangeable and you just orient the line to bend away from the control arm.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Phone posted:

The rears do, the fronts are interchangeable and you just orient the line to bend away from the control arm.

PO of my beater put some stainless lines on the front too, if you move the caliper the wrong way, the line shifts ever so slightly, rotates at the calipers to loosen, and starts to slowly leak. Can't tighten it too much because the torque spec is so low. So be careful how much you twist that thing.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

destructo posted:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

lol I just watched that episode the other day. I found myself getting mad at the girlfriend because you don't understand. Dude needs to dump that chick.....DONT TELL ME IF HE DOES....I don't want it spoiled :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a Miata, their relationship was doomed from the start.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

lol I just watched that episode the other day. I found myself getting mad at the girlfriend because you don't understand. Dude needs to dump that chick.....DONT TELL ME IF HE DOES....I don't want it spoiled :colbert:

You're just mad that your wife doesn't buy you tires.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tire Rack is out of 225 Rivals...
And 949 is out of endlinks...
And the tuner is too busy and can't get the car on the dyno until next month...

Yeah.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just use your butt dyno, duh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ahaha, and the MC is leaking at the reservoir seal.

e: booster in, hopefully Amazon doesn't decide that 1 day shipping means 11 day shipping and UPS hands off the box to USPS.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 11, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Your guaranteed delivery date is:

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Phone posted:

Your guaranteed delivery date is:

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

So that's a yes to the UPS-->USPS handoff?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cross posting from the terrible pictures thread:

gently caress IT, IT WORKS YOU CAN'T JUDGE ME

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I can, and I will :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It doesn't look as bad as hustler's, though: http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/race-prep-75/43179-question-proportioning-valve-big-brakes-70vsxi-jpg?dateline=1336676659

• Locked thread