Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Owyn, what did you do?!

Also, 50 gold to get your fortune told? "I foresee you will feel a deep sense of regret in the near future..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The interesting shop mechanic?

Also, did we ever stop by Sethanon? Or did we actually, gasp, leave a location on the main roads unexplored?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Also, did we ever stop by Sethanon? Or did we actually, gasp, leave a location on the main roads unexplored?

We visited the Oracle, that's as close as we can get.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Sethanon was spooky and Owen was too scared to go any closer.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Psion posted:

They interleave something like that, yeah. That said, reading order should be Magician series -> maybe stop there -> okay fine, Empire trilogy maybe I guess -> how about starting Serpentwar if you want -> probably skip Rise of a Merchant Prince, it's bad -> finish Serpentwar -> stop, never read wiki articles on what happens after, nope never -> seriously, stop, drat it

As a heads up before anyone tackles the Empire trilogy - I said it in the old thread and it's still true - when you're 12 you don't care but when you're older and reading those there are some real problems on how the Empire trilogy handles the "exotic" alien race of the Tsurani. Just try not to think about the extremely overt real world parallels to each society and you'll be okay. If you do, well :rip:

I actually enjoyed didn't hate Rise of a Merchant Prince, the change of pace was nice.

And yeah Tsurani are just :wtc: sometimes.
Much stereotyping; even worse when you consider the whole shtick with the Kingdom being the good guys and helping the evil Tsurani see the error of their ways and fixing them in context of the real world.

But that being said Empire was still the best trilogy of the entire series.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Midkemia started as the backstory for Feist's D&D game; the Tsurani have got to be a knock-off of the Tsolyáni from Empire of the Petal Throne.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

PurpleXVI posted:

The interesting shop mechanic?

The interesting shop mechanic.

We did not swing by sethanon, which is sad and we should totally do. We've got everything we need to keep from being horribly killed and we've already been teased a quest up in the area anyways by the tax collector.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I thought interesting shopping lasted through chapter 3?

Also, what crossbows are Gorath and James using these days?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Huh, I could have sworn the interesting shop mechanic was in effect at the end of chapter two.

Nope. The situation in Romney that allows for it doesn't come fully to a head until Ch 3 proper.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i really, really liked rise of a merchant prince when i was a young man of a certain age, i still haven't seen the movies its plotline rips off so it's still original to me dammit

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Personally I'm a fan of The King's Buccaneer. The series that Rise of a Merchant Prince is part of was okay, to my recollection, but the main character of Rise was kind of a jerk for most of it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just don't read Prince of the Blood. :mad:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Psion posted:

Just don't read Prince of the Blood. :mad:

Oh yeah....I remember PotB.

However, it did introduce Nakor if I recall correctly, so it can be somewhat forgiven.

Though yeah, that book had some issues.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think Feist went back and cleaned those two books up a lot in a later edition. Made it far less "Nakor magical detective hour".

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I think Feist went back and cleaned those two books up a lot in a later edition. Made it far less "Nakor magical detective hour".

I assumed people were complaining about the rampant casual sex.

I read those in middle school, but they were definitely my least favorite (until... Krondor the Betrayal and everything that came after.)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

I assumed people were complaining about the rampant casual sex.

I read those in middle school, but they were definitely my least favorite (until... Krondor the Betrayal and everything that came after.)

Honestly, I could care less about the sex stuff. It's odd, but it just doesn't bother me like it does some others.

My big beefs with that book are;

A: A romantic plot tumor sprouting up from nowhere

B: Killing a character that I rather liked off-panel.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Geomancing posted:

Personally I'm a fan of The King's Buccaneer. The series that Rise of a Merchant Prince is part of was okay, to my recollection, but the main character of Rise was kind of a jerk for most of it.

True fact, there is quite a bit of plot armour going on for him considering he is a complete and total douchenozzle but ends up lucking out on everything and dodging bullets. The only thing that really prevents him from just going into ultralucker terriatory is James pulling strings for him.

Kings Buccaneer was OK and Amos was a great character but the romance threads everywhere was a bit boring. PotB had Nakor so all is forgiven, I even felt sad when Suli died.

My main beef with it is that somehow all of Aurtha's kids were impossibly good at everything forever and any faults they had were ironed out immediately. At least Fiest appeared to get over it when Patrick came around; but the fact there was always a James was a bit annoying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Goddamn that is a way to end a chapter. What the hell.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Goddamn that is a way to end a chapter. What the hell.

Things should only get more interersting from here.

I still remember when playing for the first time as a kid, that scene was :staredog:

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Chapter 3

Update 45: The Spyglass and the Spider

"The only explanation Seigneur is that you are mislead. I have never been south of the Inclindel..."

"While we carried the dead from the Black Sheep Tavern, a tavern boy informed me that a man answering to your description called on three unwholesomes dressed in black all of whom wore the trademark silver rings of the Nighthawks. He heard them refer to the moredhel as Gorath! It seems that this moredhel paid a sizeable sum of money to those Nighthawks before departing, enough perhaps to arrange the death of a company of the King's soldiers?"

"He may well have paid a king's death, but I know nothing of it. I realize it may impress little upon you but Gorath is a passing common name in the Northlands and oft as not you Kingdom fellow folk have mistaken me for an elf! The barkeeper was likely deceived by enemies of mine. If I had cause to midlead you or your Prince, I would found a far less convoluted means of confusing the royal sanity. Look elsewhere for your enemies, James. While we may not be friends, I mean you no harm."

"I shall look where I wish until you are no longer my responsibility. We may not be able to strike at the Nighthawk stronghold, but if we can locate it, we may be still able to get inside and find the information that Prince Arutha needs."

"The Nighthawks will shun Romney for a time. However bold they may be in their murderous nights, they flee when daylight breaks."

"No one walks without leaving footprints and these men are no different. However skilled they may be at assassination, they have never been any good at covering their tracks. Let me see those things you found in the tavern."

"Good. Those are our footprints. Of all of the items we found on the dead company, both those items seemed conspicuously out of place and may be related in some way to our elusive murderers."

"We begin our hunt for the Nighthawks with a spider and a spyglass."

Thus at long last we begin this chapter. Unlike the previous two chapters which had end destinations of either getting Gorath to Krondor, or taking Gorath to Romney, in this chapter we put on our detective's caps to solve a murder. Pretty cool, huh?

Now for me, as a kid when playing the game, this was the chapter that I ultimately wasn't able to finish because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. This would be when I would do the whole world tour and go just about anywhere available to me. As you all know, we've pretty much already done that in Chapter 2, however, if I recall correctly different enemies are going to populate now that we've switched chapters and other areas and quests will open up to us now.

Of course, instead of just leaving town (which we are free to do, the game doesn't stop you), it is best to talk to the locals and see what information we can get out of them.

Based on what the Duke is telling us, poo poo just got real in the whole trade/guild war thing going on in Romney. We've also been given a new quest to help resolve it as well, so one of the things we can check out when we do leave here is to talk to this Arile Steelsoul, who (fortunately) lives closeby, to see about bringing him to the negotiation table.

"Where to now?"

"The scene of the crime."

"I could go for some fruit..."

"Not at these prices though."

"Let's talk to the boy though, see what he can tell us."

"C-c-come in please."

"Why should we want to do that?"

"Because when I broke things, master always told me that someone would come and take me away someplace bad and someplace dark where they would never feed me and I'd never see the light of day. I knew when all those people got killed in here that someone would come for me and take me to the bad place."

"You don't have anything to be afraid of, Jason. You didn't kill those men. It's not your fault."

"Master says anybody that stays under our roof is our respont...respono...responsibility and I was here when they were killed! That means it was my fault."

"Then you saw the murders?"

"No, but they come in and told me to leave or they'd hurt me real bad. They didn't tell me what they were going to do."

"What did the men who told you to leave look like?"

"They were big and they had birds on their chests, like eagles. And they smelled funny, like sometimes the sailors from Kesh smell like. Like flowers..."

"Hawks on their chests. That at least confirms the Nighthawks' involvement... Do you know any thing about a spider made of silver or a brass spyglass that one of the men that were killed might have carried? It's very important. Think hard..."

"I...I don't know anything about the spider, but I remember that one of the King's Men had a brass tube with little pieces of glass in the ends of it and I could see things that were far away with it. He said that he and one of the other men had brought it back from Silden."

"Did he say where in Silden he got it?"

"No...just in Silden."

"Can you think of anything else? Did anyone else come into the Black Sheep before the murderers?"

"A carrying man brought in some wine from the Upside Down Keg for the soldiers. Told me it was sent special, but besides that, I can't think of anything..."

"Thanks, Jason. We may be back later to ask you more questions, so don't go anywhere."

Well, we have a lead now for the spyglass that Gorath found in the tavern, so Silden could potentially be our next destination to get the ball rolling on this murder investigation.

Before we hit the road though, let's check out the items that we found.

The silver spider acts as silverthorn which is now completely redundant so long as a member of the party carries this spider. We can use it to poison our weapons or arrows.

Like so. As for the spyglass?

The example I'm posting isn't the best, but it shows you the range of what the spyglass does.

It is equivalent to the Eyes of Ishap spell that Owyn knows, but better. It has a bigger range, doesn't require any stamina/health to cast, is free and with no "charges" to it. Again, so long as a member of the party has this item you never need cast Eyes of Ishap again.

Before we actually leave Romney though, let's check out the store and see if we can see what the "interesting shop mechanic" is that people are referencing.

:vince:

Prices are super inflated in Romney now and it is in direct result of the escalation of the guildwar going on here. Once that is resolved, I think the prices will return to normal. So, perhaps getting that sidequest done isn't the top priority right now?

I haven't played any of Chapter 3 yet, because I need some guidance now. One obvious place we can go to start our investigation is to Silden... Or, we can try to take on some of the outstanding sidequests. For example, resolve the guildwar. As other folks have mentioned, we never did get to Sethanon.

As a refresher on that sidequest: Our buddy in Krondor, Nivek, had told us about this guy named Max Feeber who lives near there, who was trying to buy up some property but was meeting resistance. Apparently he got some idea into his head and was digging up graves. It was kind of hard to tell why since we ended up getting Nivek completely drunk in the process of getting this information. Now, later on when we met with James' possible twin, Lysle, he told us that he in fact was going to "borrow" a hand from somebody at a Sethanon graveyard when he found a guy dragging a corpse through a field, from which he liberated a hand.

That's all we know. As to what the quest is once we are there who the hell knows? But something weird is going on and as protagonists we probably should investigate eventually.

Or we can just see what is going on in LaMut. :v:

So, where should we go?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Sethanon

It's our noble duty to put off actually doing any real work for as long as possible.

Plus on the return from Sethanon we can go through Silden and the area required for getting a start on resolving the guild war.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This was also where I got stuck, because my eleven-year-old's attention span couldn't figure out a goal more complicated than "go to X."

Go investigate what that missing hand is all about.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Snugglecakes posted:

Or we can just see what is going on in LaMut. :v:

LaMut's seedy underbelly will show us the way!!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sethanon! Its probably not as cursed as they say it is. Also if we do the quest Nivek might finally tell us about the ducks

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sure, Sethanon sounds good. Who doesn't love corpses?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Take a trip to Wolfram for no particular reason.
:getin:

mauman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 19, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord those prices. Could you have visited the shops before the chapter break and would the prices have been the same?

Also, is there anything new in the shops?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Glazius posted:

Good lord those prices. Could you have visited the shops before the chapter break and would the prices have been the same?

Also, is there anything new in the shops?

He did. The prices don't ratchet up until the Guild War breaks out in full fury (which stops trade/ratchets up prices on weapons and armor?)--which occurs at the chapter break.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Can you stash items somewhere safely? As in, can you dump most of the loot you get during the first chapters in storage and live like a pauper until this chapter, then sell it all and live like a king?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Can you stash items somewhere safely? As in, can you dump most of the loot you get during the first chapters in storage and live like a pauper until this chapter, then sell it all and live like a king?

Sort of. Morhedrel chests are "safe" storage, but all chests and "lootable" items only get X number of slots to store stuff. So it's very hard to do that effectively.

There are about 4 or 5 ways to utterly break the economy in this game. So if you're looking to never want for sovereigns, it's very very easy and with one of the ways you can do it before you leave the area around LaMut in Ch 1. Using the Romney store is slightly more "legit" but also more effort; in the end the result is the same.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Sort of. Morhedrel chests are "safe" storage, but all chests and "lootable" items only get X number of slots to store stuff. So it's very hard to do that effectively.

There are about 4 or 5 ways to utterly break the economy in this game. So if you're looking to never want for sovereigns, it's very very easy and with one of the ways you can do it before you leave the area around LaMut in Ch 1. Using the Romney store is slightly more "legit" but also more effort; in the end the result is the same.

My suggestion for Wolfram might have something to do with this.

However, their are so many, many ways (both legit and not) to break the economy of this game over your knee that it's not really needed. I just hope Snuggles will point out what I'm alluding to when we get there eventually.

My favorite is the crossbow method. :wtc: were these programmers on?

Technically, we were given a method in a previous update. We could break the economy right now using nothing but what the game gives us.

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 25, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mauman posted:

My suggestion for Wolfram might have something to do with this.

However, their are so many, many ways (both legit and not) to break the economy of this game over your knee that it's not really needed. I just hope Snuggles will point out what I'm alluding to when we get there eventually.

My favorite is the crossbow method. :wtc: were these programmers on?

Technically, we were given a method in a previous update. We could break the economy right now using nothing but what the game gives us.

My fave as well. :homebrew:

Given the degree of free-roaming allowed and the impressive amount of content for a game released in 1993, hardening the economy against exploits probably never really occurred to them. That being said...making that broken item cost 1r when it can be fixed for a few sovereigns is just silly. I have to think it was an oversight and they forgot to circle back and adjust the price floor on the items, but oh well.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Update 46: Murdering Nighthawks for Fun and Profit

Now that we are officially in a new chapter, let's take a look at our characters and their current inventories:

James currently carries the quest items, the Spider and the Spyglass in his inventory. In my gameplay I tend to swap the Spider between him and Gorath during this chapter and always leave the Spyglass on Owyn.

His loadout is a reflection of what we've accomplished in the last chapter. He uses a rapier as his current sword, which is just a personal preference of mine. The rapier gives a good bonus to accuracy for thrusting attacks which is what I have James do given his speed and lower strength when compared to Gorath. He uses tsurani heavy crossbow as far the limited crossbow selection goes does a fair deal of damage but doesn't give any assistance with accuracy. His armor is Dragon Armor which is pretty much the best armor available in the game with one exception that we won't see until much later.

His stats as you see are pretty good and he's developed certainly as a fighter since we first got him in the beginning of chapter 2.

Owyn too has really developed as a magician with a particular strong casting skill and also a pretty good melee one too. He's the group bard as well. He has a good selection of offensive and defensive spells now and is an asset to the group.

I did take the liberty to upgrade his staff in the prior chapter, which provides a bonus to accuracy if he does use it in melee, and it also can be used to cast the Skyfire spell, which I keep on forgetting that it can do.

Gorath is absolutely amazing in every way with an amazing strength score and high melee. He really is a murder machine. I also have him use the tsurani heavy crossbow, though his current weapon is a greatsword which is also one of best weapons available. It doesn't provide much as far as bonuses for thrusting or swinging, but if you connect with a swing attack the cumulative bonus considering Gorath's strength is going to pack a wallop.

Of course, after leaving Romney now we hardly get 5 steps in before we are ambushed by nighthawks.

Seems that the grid will stay automatically on during a game session but on restarting the game means I have to manually put it back on.
Anyway, it's just two nighthawks and they go down like chumps.

I believe I mentioned before that I wanted to show off other spells, and Fetters of Rime is a pretty good one. The description is somewhat misleading. A successful hit does freeze opponents but it also does damage to them as well. An unfortunate part of this spell is that it can miss.

As you can see though, Owyn has pretty good accuracy now with his spellcasting so more likely then not the ranged spells with connect. With the other nighthawk now frozen, we can gang up on the other one.

Like so. Gorath brings him down with a thrust, and then we quickly dispatch the frozen one.

These two guys died conveniently close to Romney, so it is a simple thing for me to grab their crap and head back into town to sell it.

:captainpop:

This is pretty basic equipment I'm picking up and selling too. The only difference is that I have Gorath improve the quality of everything before we sell them.

Also, another thing to note is that now that we have the Spider, we can poison our arrows for free. Poisoned arrows sell for much, much, higher prices then ordinary arrows.

Due to hyperinflation in Romney, we basically earned a total of 535 gold by selling off the excess items that we pick up from the dead.

After leaving town, we continue to head south and get into yet another battle with nighthawks.

The outcome again results in me stripping their bodies and hauling back to Romney to sell the excess items for amazing profit. Eventually we get down to the village of Sloop. A stop over at an inn there lets us know about some additional developments...

Disturbing implication here that Waylander had something to do with the deaths of the King's Men in Romney...

It turns out that Waylander actually lives in Sloop. (I'm sure the information is relayed by somebody somewhere). Anyway, let's stop by his house and see what he has to say for himself.

Gorath uses his keen senses to warn us that we are probably going to be in a fight momentarily.
I swear, his class is probably "Paladin" given his ability to detect evil all the time.

That's never stopped us before. And really? Just one nighthawk? This is too easy. :smug:

Oh. :shepface:

James gets to go first. Instead of having him charge in, which would probably lead to him getting swarmed, I have him fire off a poisoned tsurani quarrel at the nighthawk most likely to try and rush Owyn. It manages to connect for a decent amount of damage.

Not that it stops the Nighthawks from rushing Owyn. Obviously I have our little buddy get the hell out of there.

The furthest nighthawk tries to shoot either James or Owyn but ends up hitting his ally instead. :)

I move Gorath up to take care of that problem, while James delivers the pain with his rapier.

This is the scene as it develops. Gorath gets sniped by one of the Nighthawks while James and Owyn are now pinned in by the other two.

My general priority is always to make sure Owyn is clear and to gang up on enemies whenever possible.
All three of our heroes pummel the crap of the Nighthawk threatening Owyn.

They keep on coming though.

Eventually there is a break in the action, and I have Owyn bust out my favorite spell.

:getin:

Honestly, it probably would have been better used against one of the enemies attacking either Gorath or James, but it was nice given that the sniper kept on hitting Gorath throughout this battle.

I have no regrets. :colbert:

And just a few seconds later, the battle ends.

:toot:

As you can expect, there are a lot of items I can grab from the bodies here and run back up to Romney to sell, but before I do that, let's see whats going on with Waylander.

"But I'm a merchant! I don't know anything about the guild of Assassins!"

"You wouldn't necessarily have to know anything about them. You might have witnessed something they preferred unseen, perhaps they think you've wronged them in some way. Where were you the night the King's men from Bas-Tyra regiment were assassinated?"

"What?! I haven't heard... Gods, they were good men! If it hadn't been for them, we never would have broken the Riverpullers' siege at Romney. How did they die?"

"Nighthawks set upon them in the Black Sheep Tavern. Killed every last man. The only thing I found strange was the fact there were few signs of resistance. I was told by the boy who tends the bar a few casks of Keshian Ale were delivered the night before, but the Bas-Tyra men are very disciplined men. Does it seem reasonable to you a detachment of men trailing the Nighthawks would get drunk in the town where they suspect the Guild of Assassins have their headquarters?"

"It does sound a bit odd..."

"It sounded odd to me as well, so I decided the ale had been tainted in some way. I thought if I found the man who sent the ale, I might be on the trail of the Nighthawks. Then I visited the tavern here in town and I discovered something very disturbing. The arrangements for the ale delivery were made here and the keeper was instructed to add a significant amount of tarweed to the mixture, a mixture that while not poisonous, induces the drinker to become excessively thirsty, ensuring that he will continue to drink until quite drunk. But that was not the shocking information. You see, it seems the local chief reeve of a prestigious guild arranged for the delivery of the Ale... Mitchel Waylander."

"I never made that order! I would have been in Romney when the arrangement was made. I couldn't have made that order!"

"I realize that as well. The Nighthawks have gone to extreme trouble to implicate you and that tells me that they want revenge for something. The men that were sent here to kill you would undoubtedly have planted the final evidence on your corpse. So, what could you have done to them?"

"Truly, I don't know..."

"Do you know anything about a silve spider or a brass spyglass?"

"A brass spyglass? Oh dear gods! But that man couldn't have been a Nighthawk... He was so, so regal looking..."

"What did you do to this man? Is the spyglass involved?"

"There is a place north of Romney known as Prank's Stone. When people approach it, they often discover that items on their person disappear. A business partner and I discovered where the disappeared items go to and we sell the items we find. Anyway, one night I was drinking in the town of the same name and I saw this man who had a very marvelous brass spyglass. My guild was having difficulties at the time and I was low on cash so I conspired to achieve the spyglass for my own. I had noticed the attention he way paying to a rather fetching barmaid and I arranged that a note was sent to his table telling him to meet her near the Prank's Stone. The spyglass became ours."

"If the man you snatched the spyglass from learned what happened, I could see how he would want revenge. Where did you sell it?"

"I don't sell the items. My partner does and we split the profits. I don't know anything about him other than the fact that he is a native of Silden. We decided early on that we would share only our booty so that if one of us caught, the other would be safe."

"Then it seems we have business in Silden. Lay low. It may be the only thing that keeps you alive, Mitchel. The Nighthawks are not men that should be angered."

With that, we take our leave of Waylander. We make multiple trips back and forth to Romney to sell off excess gear and then continue south.

Turns out that just outside of Lyton are some chests. I know I haven't opened these ones yet, because...

It's a trap!

Uh.. wow, an extremely easy trap.

It seems that with the grid on you also get a layout of the trap perimeters as well. This makes them trivial to deal with.

Hope you guys are ready for some puzzles.

"Power enough to smash ships and crush roofs. Yet it still must fear the sun."

"Oh! Oh! I know the answer."

"Yeah, it's not hard, the answer is..."

"Vampires!"

"...Vampires isn't a three letter word." :what:

Wordlock Chest Puzzle posted:

T H R
S C O
I E T
W S E

This is a pretty easy one to figure out.

The treasure inside is pretty decent too. (also you can see my current cash is now at 2549 gold). I can improve the quality of the crossbow and sell it for a nice sum back at Romney, and same with the ruby as well.

"With a sharp edged wit, And pointed poise, it can settle disputes, Without a noise."

"Vampires!"

"Stop suggesting that as the answer!"

S O O E S
J H D R I
E U E S T
M W N G D

Again, not particularly difficult to solve.

Treasure is decent too. 100% Kingdom armor with a blessing on it will sell nicely as will the crappy sword.

"An untiring servant it is, carrying loads across muddy earth. But one thing that cannot be forced, is a return to the place of its birth."

"..."

"..."

:iamafag:

"Don't you even dare say it."

"... Vampires! WOOP WOOP WOOP" :zoid:

"This is why you are going to die alone and unloved. Just like the gypsy woman said."

M O R I T
W H A T S
A I V S R
R R I E E

Of the three chests in this area this is probably the trickiest riddle.

Too bad the treasure is crappy. :saddowns:

Heading back to the road, we run into Abuk. THE MASTER OF LOCKS!

"Did I mention that I'm a master of locks yet? Because I am. Totally mastered all of the locks. Count them, ALL OF THEM. You've got your standard locks, masterlocks, webber locks, padlocks, deadbolts, knob locks, cam locks, rim latch locks, jimmy proof locks. And who can forget the..."

"Many soldiers visit Silden. Some come from the boats that dock there, some come from Lyton or places further away. What would distinguish the men you seek from any other men?"

"If you noticed them at all, they should have seemed conspicuously inconspicuous. They would have drank little and paid whatever shopkeepers asked, no matter how outrageous the price. They would have avoided fighting unless it was forced upon them and then it would have been very evident they were skilled fighters..."

"I know of these men. They came to Silden to hire assassins,but Abuk told them they do not need assassins."

"Hire Nighthawks? No. These men would have been looking for the Nighthawks, but they didn't wish to hire them. If anything, they wanted to trick them into the open..."

"They asked Abuk to hire assassins, but I told them about my spider and they did not wish to hire assassins anymore. They bought the spider and went away to Romney."

"You sold them the silver spider? Why did they wish to buy it?"

"They did not tell Abuk and I did not ask. I am only a master of locks and the business of the King's men is their own."

"No one is accusing you of anything. Where did you get the silver spider from? Did you buy it from someone?"

"A man of the Guild of Assassins learned where I keep my modest treasures and wished to open it. Having considerable skills, he opened its strange lock but he was struck dead by the trap which he had thoughtlessly triggered. When I found the silver spider on his person, I kept it until the day I sold it to the King's soldiers."

"They may have believed they could use it to track down the Nighthawks. Was there anything else on the dead Nighthawk that could have told you anything about him?"

"He had a ticket for passage to Krondor on the Night Crawler, a boat that sometimes harbors in Silden. I had no need for it so I threw it away."

"I think we have all we need for now, Abuk, but please stay here. We may need to speak to you again."

That ends the conversation with Abuk. Annoyingly, the same conversation triggers every time you cross the area from Lyton into Silden, so as you can imagine I had to deal with repeats of this a bit in running back and forth between the two areas.

Let's reflect on what we've learned this update as it relates to the plot. As we know, the king's men were murdered at the Black Sheep Tavern in Romney, but it seems they were drugged beforehand so they would keep on drinking until very drunk and unable to effectively fight back. Nighthawks implicated Mitchel Waylander in this and perhaps in part because he offended a "regal looking man", who is actually a Nighthawk, and managed to literally Prank the same man out of his brass spyglass (which we now have). Waylander also has pointed us in the direction of his business partner who is a native of Silden.

Meanwhile, Abuk MASTER OF LOCKS, has told us just now about the silver spider which he apparently sold to the same King's soldiers, perhaps believing it could help them track down the remaining Nighthawks. This too, is now in our possession.

The game has now very obviously pushed us in the direction of Silden... so, next time.

We go to Sethanon! :v:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Snugglecakes posted:

"Power enough to smash ships and crush roofs. Yet it still must fear the sun."

code:
T H R
S C O
I E T
W S E
This is a pretty easy one to figure out.

The answer is ICE. There's only so many three letter words.

quote:

"With a sharp edged wit, And pointed poise, it can settle disputes, Without a noise."

code:
S O O E S
J H D R I
E U E S T
M W N G D
Again, not particularly difficult to solve.

This one is SWORD.

quote:

"An untiring servant it is, carrying loads across muddy earth. But one thing that cannot be forced, is a return to the place of its birth."

code:
M O R I T
W H A T S
A I V S R
R R I E E
Of the three chests in this area this is probably the trickiest riddle.

And this one is RIVER.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I like that the trick for making infinite money this chapter is to become an arms dealer in a town with an ongoing civil war, that you're supposed to be stopping.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ABUK, MASTER OF LOCKS has the best voice clip in the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I demand you go back and DEMAND that ABUK, MASTER OF LOCKS give you training in lockpicking. Also, I demand that you have as many skills tagged as possible when you get the training.

I know this probably isn't an option, but they can't go around calling a guy the Master of Locks and not have him be some sort of trainer.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I remember the very first time I played this game as a kid, back when I had a more threadbare grasp of English than I do now, this is where I got stuck because I couldn't actually understand the clues.

Also, in combat, mages can't cast with adjacent enemies, do diagonals count as adjacents? Also can you use the skyfire charges from the staff despite adjacent enemies?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember the very first time I played this game as a kid, back when I had a more threadbare grasp of English than I do now, this is where I got stuck because I couldn't actually understand the clues.

Also, in combat, mages can't cast with adjacent enemies, do diagonals count as adjacents? Also can you use the skyfire charges from the staff despite adjacent enemies?

Yes, diagonal enemies count, which can be very annoying. I can't comment on the staff charges as I'm currently under Krondor.

This stuff also affects crossbow use (though that obviously matters less).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

PurpleXVI posted:

Also can you use the skyfire charges from the staff despite adjacent enemies?

You can, same way you can freeze someone with a powder bag.

• Locked thread