Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It's probably different for officers but most of the going aways I've been to have been for lower enlisted and populated by lower enlisted so you kind of have to choose a place everyone can afford.

Did just go to a pretty good one for a SNCO at Pizza Rock on Fremont street on Friday which was pretty good then met some other friends down at Container Park which is pretty awesome aside from the hipsters if you've never been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cenen posted:

It's probably different for officers but most of the going aways I've been to have been for lower enlisted and populated by lower enlisted so you kind of have to choose a place everyone can afford.

Did just go to a pretty good one for a SNCO at Pizza Rock on Fremont street on Friday which was pretty good then met some other friends down at Container Park which is pretty awesome aside from the hipsters if you've never been.

For gently caress's sake even lower enlisted can afford Yardhouse or something

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cenen posted:

I can think of 10 restaurants in Vegas off the top of my head from a variety of cuisines that are lower priced than some chain sit-down restaurant bullshit like Applebee's that are legitimately good restaurants.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Next time just go to McDonalds. One with a Playplace so they have something to do.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Apparently my squadron is planning a combat dining in. I don't know what this means.

Oh wait, yes I do. Disappointment.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I don't know about that. I've heard lots of people I work with say they can't afford to go to going aways at Olive Garden ($6 soup and salad) or Mugshots ($10 burger and drink). And they don't just say that because they don't want to go.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I never understood the reasoning for large Air Force groups to go crazy about Olive Garden. That's like one step above Dennys, but apparently everyone gets really excited and loves going there.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Feel like a lot of people are underestimating how many kids your average E-3 is popping out and how little their wives are working.

Edit: like seriously the majority of lower enlisted I've met with kids has at least 2 and a lot of the times 3. Super rare to see someone E-4 and under with just one is my experience. Now think about the kind of person who has that many kids with a job in the military and on that paycheck and are you really surprised that eating at some hardly mid rate chain restaurant might be something of a night out for them?

Cenen fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I actually would like to see statistics on dependents by rank... it would either be hilarious or depressing.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Cenen posted:

... are you really surprised that eating at some hardly mid rate chain restaurant might be something of a night out for them?

No I'm not surprised because going away lunches and stuff like that can add up fast, but I do think it's sad when I see TSgts talking about how they have to save up to buy a new battery for their car.

On the other hand you have the SSgt with two kids and a dependapotamus preaching the poor mouth about group lunches while chain smoking and eating Popeyes every day.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

xaarman posted:

I never understood the reasoning for large Air Force groups to go crazy about Olive Garden. That's like one step above Dennys, but apparently everyone gets really excited and loves going there.

It isn't just military people. :(

Buddy of mine went to Denver for a week for work and every day around dinner time I'd get a text of where they were eating dinner (Applebee's, California Pizza Kitchen, Chili's... they didn't once go to a non-chain restaurant).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It isn't just military people. :(

Buddy of mine went to Denver for a week for work and every day around dinner time I'd get a text of where they were eating dinner (Applebee's, California Pizza Kitchen, Chili's... they didn't once go to a non-chain restaurant).

When my kid sister got to go to Tokyo for a few days she got mad on facebook that all it had was "Chinese food and McDonalds"

Some people are just gently caress ups

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

xaarman posted:

No poo poo- Olive Garden and Red Lobster are the two restaurants that white-trash enlisted will name when asked to give examples of nice places to go for dinner. People were shocked when I told them that I had never been to a Red Lobster, and that they don't even have any in Massachusetts.

To be fair, I'd much rather go to Olive Garden for a going-away lunch than loving Golden Corral. I'd never been so disgusted at people until I saw what the average Golden Corral customer piles onto their plates.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cenen posted:

Feel like a lot of people are underestimating how many kids your average E-3 is popping out and how little their wives are working.

Edit: like seriously the majority of lower enlisted I've met with kids has at least 2 and a lot of the times 3. Super rare to see someone E-4 and under with just one is my experience. Now think about the kind of person who has that many kids with a job in the military and on that paycheck and are you really surprised that eating at some hardly mid rate chain restaurant might be something of a night out for them?

I think the point being made is that there's a huge amount of awesome local restaurants out there that frequently cost less than these chain restaurants, but when your eating habits fall on a spectrum somewhere between McDonalds and Olive Garden you'd probably never know about them.

edit: but it's more of a class thing than a monetary thing anyway, I can name plenty of O-3s that beeline directly to Chipotle no matter what town they're in

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 29, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
also a lot of people aren't even remotely willing to try anything new, places like applebees serve cheap bland food because it appeals to cheap, bland (midwestern, mostly) people

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

I think the point being made is that there's a huge amount of awesome local restaurants out there that frequently cost less than these chain restaurants, but when your eating habits fall on a spectrum somewhere between McDonalds and Olive Garden you'd probably never know about them.

edit: but it's more of a class thing than a monetary thing anyway, I can name plenty of O-3s that beeline directly to Chipotle no matter what town they're in

Speaking of which, I found a delicious mom and pop BBQ joint that is literally housed in a shack in ghetto Montgomery, we need to hit it up sometime.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

pkells posted:

No poo poo- Olive Garden and Red Lobster are the two restaurants that white-trash enlisted will name when asked to give examples of nice places to go for dinner. People were shocked when I told them that I had never been to a Red Lobster, and that they don't even have any in Massachusetts.

To be fair, I'd much rather go to Olive Garden for a going-away lunch than loving Golden Corral. I'd never been so disgusted at people until I saw what the average Golden Corral customer piles onto their plates.

Is that the one with the chocolate fountain?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Speaking of which, I found a delicious mom and pop BBQ joint that is literally housed in a shack in ghetto Montgomery, we need to hit it up sometime.

hell yes but not right now, I think we're about to get leveled by an act of god

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

hell yes but not right now, I think we're about to get leveled by an act of god

lol at SOS..."The nearest thunderstorms are in Arkansas, they might be here in 8 or 9 hours...weather cancel (indoor) classes for the rest of the afternoon!!!"

e: The only reason I'm bitching at this is because today and tomorrow are the only days where I was actually going to be legit semi-busy here, so compressing all of that into one day tomorrow is going to mildly suck.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

iyaayas01 posted:

Being from the south, I can vouch this is the legit best type of BBQ place.

Also yes, every motherfucker in my unit loves Chipotle. Except the five of us who found Cafe Rio.

Still, Freebirds is the best. I wish there were one here.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is that the one with the chocolate fountain?

Yeah. There's one within walking distance of my office that I'll admit to eating at 2 or 3 times a month when I just feel like grabbing something and going back to my desk. Their fried chicken is loving legit, though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I never understand why people choose to have their going away at the most boring places of all time. Nearly any city will have cool restaurants that are unique to either that region or that city. Yet people still have their going away at god damned Cheddars. A place that serves food. If you were to ask me what the style of food Cheddars serves, I could not tell you. They just have food there.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

iyaayas01 posted:

There is an amazing hole in the wall Korean joint where the staff doesn't speak any English off exit 6(?)

Google tells me it's

Korean Garden
2801 Vaughn Plaza Rd
Montgomery, AL 36116

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

revenance posted:

There is an amazing hole in the wall Korean joint where the staff doesn't speak any English off exit 6(?)

Google tells me it's

Korean Garden
2801 Vaughn Plaza Rd
Montgomery, AL 36116

Ate at that place when I was here for ASBC, it is indeed amazing. I could've sworn it was closed when I drove by there a couple of weeks ago but it looks like there are yelp reviews from last month, so it must be open. I think that's what I'm doing for dinner later this week.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been trying to find the history of my lovely training squadron for a good part of the day today and came up with nothing. I need to find the history for a talking paper my Commander needs for a upcoming CI and I have nothing. I tried Google, Wikipedia, PA on base and tried to find the base historian (we don't have one any more). I even check some Offical Air Force history web page and my Squadron wasn't even list on it, poo poo the Wing wasn't even on the Air Forces history page too.

Is there any other options out there or can I just say we are SOL?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I never understand why people choose to have their going away at the most boring places of all time. Nearly any city will have cool restaurants that are unique to either that region or that city. Yet people still have their going away at god damned Cheddars. A place that serves food. If you were to ask me what the style of food Cheddars serves, I could not tell you. They just have food there.

It's even worse in Europe. A lot of people are so afraid of trying something else that they'll have their going away at the club or something on base. The worst part about that, aside from the whole eating on base part, is that it means they never went out and did loving anything, and welp, no wonder you hated it there. God forbid we eat that weird German food :ohdear:

(Seriously German food is loving amazing, and wtf is wrong with these people, get the gently caress off the base, morons)

e: I guess I can understand it a little in England where you're kinda hosed if you don't like fish and chips or whatever, but still. I had my going away from England in a little hole in the wall thai place because it was loving awesome as long as you don't mind making GBS threads a little fire. This had the bonus side effect of scaring off a decent bit of the shittier people I worked with, so that worked out pretty well.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 30, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fenrir posted:

It's even worse in Europe. A lot of people are so afraid of trying something else that they'll have their going away at the club or something on base. The worst part about that, aside from the whole eating on base part, is that it means they never went out and did loving anything, and welp, no wonder you hated it there. God forbid we eat that weird German food :ohdear:
You can eat wurst, mustard, onions, fermented cabbage and beer three meals a day. What's not to love?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I have to admit I'm skeptical of German food after spending time in Pennsylvania. The local cuisine highlights were scrapple and hog maw.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Derek Dominoe posted:

I have to admit I'm skeptical of German food after spending time in Pennsylvania. The local cuisine highlights were scrapple and hog maw.

I never saw either of those things in Germany.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You can eat wurst, mustard, onions, fermented cabbage and beer three meals a day. What's not to love?

I *did* see plenty of those! And they're awesome :colbert:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fenrir posted:

(Seriously German food is loving amazing, and wtf is wrong with these people, get the gently caress off the base, morons)

e: I guess I can understand it a little in England where you're kinda hosed if you don't like fish and chips or whatever, but still. I had my going away from England in a little hole in the wall thai place because it was loving awesome as long as you don't mind making GBS threads a little fire. This had the bonus side effect of scaring off a decent bit of the shittier people I worked with, so that worked out pretty well.

English food: waterfowl braised in a thin water sauce
but they have good Indian food, right?

Japan's the same way, like there's so many people that never ever go offbase to eat and it's just completely insane, especially considering the Chili's onbase is standard Chili's pricing, so like $15 for an entree plus tip, so there's no way it's cheaper.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I *did* see plenty of those! And they're awesome :colbert:
They are awesome, but everyone within 15 feet of you is going to regret your decision.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

English food: waterfowl braised in a thin water sauce
but they have good Indian food, right?

I don't know what it is about England but they have much better Indian/Thai/Chinese places than anything I've EVER found in the USA aside from a few very select spots in NYC and San Francisco. Germany also has some really drat good Thai places (just don't go to that boring one on the road between Bitburg and Spangdhalem, gently caress that place, it's like the "Thai" place for Pussy Americans) and a lot of Italian spots run by, y'know, actual Italians.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Derek Dominoe posted:

That's more like "German-inspired food made from what the poorest immigrants of the early 19th century had available" rather than German food.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

During the great Osan juiceageddon of '12 we weren't allowed into Songtan at all for about three weeks. Led to a whole lot of going aways in the BX food court, right next to the toddler play area.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

We can't afford poo poo. Even if we actually can, we can't.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

nullscan posted:

During the great Osan juiceageddon of '12 we weren't allowed into Songtan at all for about three weeks. Led to a whole lot of going aways in the BX food court, right next to the toddler play area.

I thought that was last year?

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
I think we can all agree that some of the best locations are completely wasted on a lot of assholes that should never allowed to visit anywhere outside of the US, let alone their home state.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Yup. My friend in Italy says that one guy he works with just complains 24/7 about Italy. He constantly compares it to his version of America, which funny enough, is basically just Texas. He has my job, I requested Italy, and I got sent to Texas. Love life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oneday for Life posted:

We can't afford poo poo. Even if we actually can, we can't.

If you're in the air force, and you can't afford things, you're doing it wrong. As a single person, I have poo poo tons of disposable income. I'm sick of hearing single airmen complaining about how they have no money. It's a few days before payday and they don't have any money. Learn some financial skills.

If you don't have money it's because you're either a retard or you got your dependapotamus pregnant or both. In any case, you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you can't appreciate Italy you should probably kill yourself.

• Locked thread