Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I thought they just had to be approved by a (now) simple majority in the Senate; I remember hearing Republicans howling about Kagan in 2010, but she's still on.

Even if the GOP got the senate this November, they'd probably lose it again in 2016.

Reminder that they blocked Harriet Miers in 2005 as an overwhelming bipartisan effort because she had no experience as a judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Myers was a brilliant feint to get John Roberts in with minimal fuss.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

McDowell posted:

Myers was a brilliant feint to get John Roberts in with minimal fuss.

Kennedy getting in unanimously after Bork was better.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

That one was before my time.

Bork was practically a Klansman, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Wait, who did Scalia get in after?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wait, who did Scalia get in after?

He replaced Warren Burger - there wasn't a guy rejected before he was appointed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

That one was before my time.

Bork was practically a Klansman, right?

Basically he was Scalia except less of a corporate schill. Also he certainly was no Klansman he supported Brown, and hated the "NRA view" of the second amendment. Seriously Bork would have been better I argue than Kennedy on the court. Also less of a rear end in a top hat.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Crowsbeak posted:

Seriously Bork would have been better I argue than Kennedy on the court.

How could you possibly think that?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you thought Scalia's dissent to Lawrence v. Texas was a thing Bork would have blown it out of the water.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Don't forget that Bork was Nixon's hatchet man in the Saturday Night Massacre in return (purportedly) for a Supreme Court appointment (which didn't happen for obvious reasons).

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

Basically he was Scalia except less of a corporate schill. Also he certainly was no Klansman he supported Brown, and hated the "NRA view" of the second amendment. Seriously Bork would have been better I argue than Kennedy on the court. Also less of a rear end in a top hat.

Plus he would have died during Obama's term and we would have gotten another liberal justice by now.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Geoff Peterson posted:

Talk to me when we get congressmen destroying watermelons in their back yard to prove that Barack and Michelle murdered a political rival. This is the other side of the availability heuristic-people tend to forget how badly hated the Clintons actually were... and that's people on both sides of the aisle forgetting. Your crazier elements of the base that we tend to connect most tightly with racial animus towards Obama (especially militia movements) are still practically asleep compared to how they were when Clinton was in charge.

While people certainly forget how crazy the right was during Clinton, I think you're severely underestimating the amount of standing crazy right now. Remember, there are a number of congressmen who are birthers, and alledge that the President was not born in the United States, including watermelon guy.

quote:

Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind.: Paranoia is how Burton gets in the news. In the 1990s, the Indiana Republican shot a pumpkin in his backyard to demonstrate how the Clintons could have whacked Vince Foster. Now he’s a co-sponsor of the birther bill. Says a spokesperson, explaining Burton’s co-sponsorhip, “You don’t want to needlessly expose presidents to crazy conspiracy theories.” No, of course not.

Paranoid theories are pretty rampant about Obama as well: that he's actually someone named "Barry Sotero", that he's the product of a weird conspiracy to create a presidential sleeper cell and weaken America, that his elections were fixed by a left-wing conspiracy including Acorn. That he's secretly a black militant, complete with videos of Michelle Obama talking about how much she hates "whitey".

It is a mainstream position on Fox News that Obama intentionally allowed American diplomats to be killed in Benghazi; that he has altered job numbers and other government statistics; that he ordered the IRS to attack conservative groups. Rush Limbaugh and few Fox News personalities openly suggested that Obama had sabotaged the BP oil rig to create a disaster. The central strategy against Obamacare was based around the allegation that Obama wanted to kill old white people. Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann alleged that Obama wanted to create re-education camps in the guise of a youth service program, to indoctrinate young people. The idea that Obama is using the federal government to brainwash the youth is a recurring idea on Fox News, which manifests even with programs as benign as Michelle Obama's children's health initiatives. Roughly a third of conservatives thought Obama was a muslim at one point.

Clinton conspiracy theories alleged that he was a psychopathic crook interested only in himself. Obama conspiracy theories allege that he is an anti-white outsider trying to fundamentally destroy America forever. Also, lets not forget that Clinton really was an adulterer and scumbag. The Kenneth Starr investigation became ridiculous, but there really was an attempt to cover up his affair, and the president really did commit perjury.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 7, 2014

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Then again, Clinton was investigated and harassed until he was actually impeached. Honestly, he may have had it worse than Obama. But I think the difference is that Clinton could deal with it better than Obama. He masterfully swung the shithose back on the Republicans and in the end made them look like they were the assholes for impeaching him. Despite the fact that everyone was talking about Clinton's pubic hair, sticking a cigar in Lewinsky's pussy, and basically a money shot in the oval office all over Lewinsky. Yep, that was all revealed for the public to read about and discuss during his presidency.

Obama for some reason doesn't have that skill.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Then again, Clinton was investigated and harassed until he was actually impeached. Honestly, he may have had it worse than Obama. But I think the difference is that Clinton could deal with it better than Obama. He masterfully swung the shithose back on the Republicans and in the end made them look like they were the assholes for impeaching him. Despite the fact that everyone was talking about Clinton's pubic hair, sticking a cigar in Lewinsky's pussy, and basically a money shot in the oval office all over Lewinsky. Yep, that was all revealed for the public to read about and discuss during his presidency.

What examples do you have of Clinton "dealing with it better". Republicans were way more willing to deal back in the 90s, I hate this constant expectation that it is somehow Obama's fault for not negotiating with peoples who starting and final position is "the opposite of what you want no matter what it is ever"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

socialsecurity posted:

What examples do you have of Clinton "dealing with it better". Republicans were way more willing to deal back in the 90s, I hate this constant expectation that it is somehow Obama's fault for not negotiating with peoples who starting and final position is "the opposite of what you want no matter what it is ever"

Not a single thing he said has to do with negotiating with the GOP. Reread.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It has very little to do with a difference in political acumen between Clinton and Obama and a whole lot to do with republicans overreaching when they impeached Clinton, learning their lesson, and going full obstructionist with Obama. Bill clinton didn't turn around anybody's poo poo hose, he just stood around grinning while republicans inserted the poo poo hose in their own collective mouth. Obama hasn't been as lucky.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

JeffersonClay posted:

It has very little to do with a difference in political acumen between Clinton and Obama and a whole lot to do with republicans overreaching when they impeached Clinton, learning their lesson, and going full obstructionist with Obama. Bill clinton didn't turn around anybody's poo poo hose, he just stood around grinning while republicans inserted the poo poo hose in their own collective mouth. Obama hasn't been as lucky.
Yet

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Periodiko posted:

While people certainly forget how crazy the right was during Clinton, I think you're severely underestimating the amount of standing crazy right now. Remember, there are a number of congressmen who are birthers, and alledge that the President was not born in the United States, including watermelon guy.

Let's remember that this is not a phenomenon that started with, or is contained to, the right wing. I do not mean to diminish the aggressive amount of horseshit that Obama has faced from the right wing, fringe or mainstream.

Periodiko posted:

Clinton conspiracy theories alleged that he was a psychopathic crook interested only in himself. Obama conspiracy theories allege that he is an anti-white outsider trying to fundamentally destroy America forever. Also, lets not forget that Clinton really was an adulterer and scumbag. The Kenneth Starr investigation became ridiculous, but there really was an attempt to cover up his affair, and the president really did commit perjury.

Reacquaint yourself with the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons Ban. In both cases, those were clearly attempts to prevent citizens from protecting themselves from the UN taking over and instituting a NWO under a One World Government. You had an outbreak of militia criminal activity and standoffs that make Bundy Ranch look like child's play. And let's not get started on what NAFTA represented.

Progressives (or "Progressives") want to destroy the comfortable ideals of the American Way of Life because they hate America and don't want to return the country you grew up in. It's like being "the most liberal" governor/senator/congressman. The most they've had against Michelle was an "October Surprise" whiteytape that never materialized and that she's a fatty fat fat who wants to take away our hamburgers and french fries. Compare that to what Hillary underwent as First Lady.

Obama doesn't need to be the most hated, most attacked or most abused president for him to have been excessively hated, attacked or abused. There's a heavier racial tinge to most of the Obama attacks, but the "fundamentally destroy America forever" is hardly novel or stronger than it has been before.

Vladimir Putin posted:

People, even terrible political hacks, learn lessons. Issa's happy to comment semi-privately that Fast and Furious was Obama's plan to take all of our guns, but he won't say it in committee or on the house floor. He's happy to hold-or threaten to hold-cabinet members and administration officials in contempt, but he's not calling for articles of impeachment. In fact, nobody has presented articles of impeachment on Obama-which is more than Bush can say for his presidency. Instead you have Boehner intentionally stopping short in what is widely read as a mollification tactic.

Clinton, with this crowd, would be in the same boat Obama's in. It's profoundly annoying, often childish and usually backfires on their image (Debt Ceiling, Shutdown, Green Eggs and Ham), but doesn't rise to the level that they receive the same sort of "petty politics" punishment that the GOP did under Clinton. The perpetual outrage machine on the right helps provide cover as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JeffersonClay posted:

The key was that the Republicans spent all that time and money investigating the gently caress out of Clinton, and then they managed to get him on getting a blow job. It was ridiculous and backfired on them simply because no one actually cared if the President got a blow job. Especially since impeaching a guy for getting a blow job was pure insanity, no matter how much the Republicans tried to sell it as being about perjury.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The media landscape has changed alot since Clinton was in office - Rush Limbaugh, National Review, and a couple other publications were the voice of the opposition; now we have infowars, breitbart, The Blaze, and dozens of other outlets spewing anything that will get them clicks and politicians that have to (at least indirectly) acknowledge these narratives in order to win votes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Geoff Peterson posted:

Progressives (or "Progressives") want to destroy the comfortable ideals of the American Way of Life because they hate America and don't want to return the country you grew up in. It's like being "the most liberal" governor/senator/congressman. The most they've had against Michelle was an "October Surprise" whiteytape that never materialized and that she's a fatty fat fat who wants to take away our hamburgers and french fries. Compare that to what Hillary underwent as First Lady.

In fairness, Hillary did try to turn herself into a kind of quasi-cabinet member with health care. Not that she deserved any of the flak she got throughout the whole administration.

Michelle has been strictly appropriate at all times, yet is the most popular and dynamic of First Ladies since...gosh. I wanted to say Jackie Kennedy but she was a ditz compared to Mrs. Obama.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Um, excuse me, "Moochelle" is clearly a fat fatty who wants to take away :qq:ARE BURGERS AND FRIES:qq: and is obviously a welfare queen uppity lazy leech who, unlike previous DIGNIFIED First Ladies, travels all around the world on THE TAXPAYER'S DIME!!!

No racism here, no sir!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Worst President says man on chair.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ankle-biter posted:

I know how much you all hate fox news, so here's a copy of the Washington Times.

Oh good thanks for that

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

McDowell posted:

now we have infowars

To be fair Infowars isn't exactly a part of the Republican party's media. They're a bunch of paranoid nutjobs who will hate anybody who is in power and I commend their consistency on that.

(Source: They despised Bush even more than goons did.)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 7, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Limerick posted:

To be fair Infowars isn't exactly a part of the Republican party's media. They're a bunch of paranoid nutjobs who will hate anybody who is in power and I commend their consistency on that.

(Source: They despised Bush even more than goons did.)

Alex Jones was part of the Clinton NWO conspiracies and Infowars stories generally push GOP talking points. But in terms of the rightwing strategy of 'vote (R) or stay home' they are definitely on the 'stay home' tack. They also serve Russian propaganda interests - but as I said, their main interest is in generating clicks.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Geoff Peterson posted:

Reacquaint yourself with the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons Ban. In both cases, those were clearly attempts to prevent citizens from protecting themselves from the UN taking over and instituting a NWO under a One World Government. You had an outbreak of militia criminal activity and standoffs that make Bundy Ranch look like child's play. And let's not get started on what NAFTA represented.

You certainly make a convincing case that Clinton had to deal with serious opposition that Obama hasn't, but case in point - at least the Brady Bill passed, and with Republican votes. All this rhetoric about some outside force, the feds, or the NWO, still exists, and militias have returned, and become more prevalent every year of Obama's presidency. In fact, now we get the crazy NWO One World Government Marxist Feds argument even though there isn't a prayer for gun control legislation, even though the NRA effectively has complete control over GOP gun policy.

I wasn't an adult during the Clinton years so it's hard to make comparisons, but this bubbling reserve of resentment and despair amongst old white conservatives seems unique. It's not about weirdos in their 20's and 30's living in a bunker in the woods, it's Grandma and Grandpa living with a bunker mentality, fed by a constant stream of conservative media. It feels like something's broken in the GOP's relationship to their far right, and whereas the GOP used to use far right rhetoric as a political tool, they're increasingly being destabilized by far right true believers who - most importantly - have genuine popular support.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Nonsense posted:

Worst President says man on chair.

Did you read that article? It's basically a probably-misguided white person (the man on the chair) calling the tea party racist.

His use of the word is more Pryor than Klansman.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Bifner McDoogle posted:

(though Teddy Roosevelt has a life story that sounds completely made up to be honest).

It was

quote:

In today's excerpt - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, a New Yorker born to extraordinary wealth, was the first master of the political imagery made possible by the new mediums of photography and mass produced books. He used this skill adroitly in his rise to be America's 26th president:

"Teddy was an oddity in nineteenth-century Albany. Politics at that time was a game played by beer- and whiskey-drinking men, not aristocrats. To New York's political press and players, Teddy was a shrimp-size dandy, dressed in tight-fitting, tailor-made suits, a rich daddy's boy who read books and collected butterflies. Teddy made a bad first impression when he appeared on the assembly floor dressed in a purple satin suit, speaking in a high-pitched, Harvard-tinged voice. The other assemblymen took one look at the rich kid and laughed.

"In 1880s Albany, it would have been acceptable to be wanting in areas of intelligence or legislative ability. But being seen as effeminate was a death sentence for an aspiring politician. This was, after all, forty years before American women were even allowed to vote. Roosevelt's assembly colleagues hung the demeaning nickname 'Oscar Wilde' on him, a mocking reference to the disgraced British homosexual. One newspaper went further, speculating whether Theodore was 'given to sucking the knob of an ivory cane.'

"During the years 1884 to 1901—from the time young Teddy thought of how to reform his effeminate image to when he became a manly man president—William Cody's extravaganza Buffalo Bill's Wild West was the leading cultural sensation in the United States.. ... Recognizing that a frontier adventure of his own could remedy his wimpish reputation, Roosevelt galloped west, following Buffalo Bill's tracks. Thus began one of America's great political makeovers. After returning to Manhattan in 1884, Teddy boasted to the New York Tribune: 'It would electrify some of my friends who have accused me of presenting the kid-glove element in politics if they could see me galloping over the plains, day in and day out, clad in a buck-skin shirt and leather chaparajos, with a big sombrero on my head.' Wrote Roosevelt, 'For a number of years I spent most of my time on the frontier, and lived and worked like any other frontiersman. ... We guarded our herds of branded cattle and shaggy horses, hunted bear, bison, elk, and deer, established civil government, and put down evil-doers, white and red ... exactly as did the pioneers.' ...

"In fact, Roosevelt had commuted west aboard deluxe Pullman cars, staying for short periods of time to check on his investments and gather material for his books. Ranchman Teddy was to Theodore Roosevelt what Buffalo Bill was to William Cody: a spectacular fiction concocted with an audience in mind. [In 1885], Teddy published Hunting Trips of a Ranchman. Three years later, he published Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail. Both books were action packed, beautifully illustrated adventure tales about the 'real' West. ...

"Until his death, Teddy would repeat these mythical accounts of his Western adventures, passing them along as fact. But despite his claims to the contrary, Roosevelt spent the majority of his 'Western years' in Manhattan. Notes John Milton Cooper Jr. in The Warrior and the Priest, 'His commitment to western ways was neither permanent nor deep. Between the summers of 1884 and 1886 he spent a total of fifteen months on his ranch. He did not stay for an entire winter in either year; his longest stretch there came between March and July 1886. The rest of the time he shuttled back and forth to the East Coast.'...

"Teddy's ranches went bust within two years and he finally abandoned the West. By the end of 1886, half his inheritance was gone. Teddy knew his ranching days were over. John Milton Cooper Jr. writes: 'In his subsequent career on the national scene, no aspect of Roosevelt's life except his war service made him more of a popular figure than his western sojourn. Nothing did more to make him appear a man of the people. He himself liked to recount how ranching had augmented politics in ridding him of all snobbish inclinations. Actually, his experience was more complicated. In going west, Roosevelt was following a well-beaten track among the upper crust on both sides of the Atlantic. One of his Dakota neighbors was a French marquis, while two others maintained dude ranches for scions of the best British and American families.'

"Teddy's frontier life was more soft blankets than barbwire, but Roosevelt skillfully projected a different reality. Hermann Hagedorn—the first director of the Theodore Roosevelt Association—describes Teddy's author photo for Hunting Trips of a Ranchman: 'He solemnly dressed himself up in the buckskin shirt and the rest of [his] elaborate costume ... and had himself photographed [in a Manhattan studio]. There is something hilariously funny... The imitation grass not quite concealing the rug beneath.' ... In 1886—one year into the creation of the Ranchman myth—Roosevelt ran for mayor of New York. Newspapers hailed the 'blizzard-seasoned constitution' of the 'Cowboy of the Dakotas.' "

Read more: http://www.delanceyplace.com/view_sresults.php?1604#ixzz36kepsnJA

Also, speaking to his control of image, he had a tennis court installed at the white house but never allowed anyone to photograph him playing tennis

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

McDowell posted:

Press 1 for English? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU this is genocide

lol

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rodatose posted:

It was

Also, speaking to his control of image, he had a tennis court installed at the white house but never allowed anyone to photograph him playing tennis

This article is kind of bullshit. The definitive Roosevelt biography is a two volume piece by Edmund Morris. Roosevelt was every bit the tough guy that his image was. Not saying that he didn't control his image, but there was a lot of substance behind it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

This article is kind of bullshit. The definitive Roosevelt biography is a two volume piece by Edmund Morris. Roosevelt was every bit the tough guy that his image was. Not saying that he didn't control his image, but there was a lot of substance behind it.

This is 100% true. The man survived an assassination attempt because he had a thick speech in his breast pocket, and that's where the bullet hit him. He delivered the speech anyway WITH THE BULLET LODGED IN HIS CHEST, opening his remarks with this: "Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet - there is where the bullet went through - and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best."

There's a short list of badass Presidents, but TR is definitely at the top of the list.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Winner of the Medal of Honor and the Nobel Peace Prize.

He quit his desk job in the Navy to enlist and fight in the Spanish American war. Dude backed is talk.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Alter Ego posted:

This is 100% true. The man survived an assassination attempt because he had a thick speech in his breast pocket, and that's where the bullet hit him. He delivered the speech anyway WITH THE BULLET LODGED IN HIS CHEST, opening his remarks with this: "Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet - there is where the bullet went through - and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best."

There's a short list of badass Presidents, but TR is definitely at the top of the list.

I'd say that Grant also belongs on that list:

quote:

In Monterrey, Grant risked his life through a sniper-riddled street to carry a message on horseback; in another battle, he saved his friend and future brother-in-law Fred Dent, after Dent had been shot in the leg. Grant rushed to pull him off of the battlefield, and was almost killed by a Mexican soldier. Another comrade saved him just in time.

And yet, despite his renown as a great Civil War general, he wasn't afraid to admit when a war was unjust.

on the Mexican-American War posted:

He disagreed with actions taken by superiors, and believed the entire premise of the war to be a front for acquiring more land that was unopposed to slavery. In his best-selling memoirs written at the end of his life, Grant reflected on his experience in the war, saying, "I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation." He also stated, "I do not think there was ever a more wicked war...I thought so at the time...only I had not moral courage enough to resign."

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Grant's memoir is a very good read actually and I highly recommend it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I'd say that Grant also belongs on that list:

And yet, despite his renown as a great Civil War general, he wasn't afraid to admit when a war was unjust.

Grant also couldn't abide the sight of blood. Odd for a man who was the Union's greatest general.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ThirdPartyView posted:

I like to post this every time Bork comes up:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/postscript-robert-bork-1927-2012.html

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
Theodore was a hard rear end who also understood how to control image. Part of the reason he decided to be a police commissioner was public access and he could walk a street at night every so often to make it look like he was being as hands on as he probably was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

computer parts posted:

The funny thing is that it's actually really hard to close a prison when you're not allowed to move people to the mainland and yet Obama is criticized because of this.

That's the funny part, Obama can declare whatever he wants, but Congress determines how the money is spent. There are prisoners on Guantanamo who have for all intents and purposes been freed, but Congress won't authorize the money to fly them home.

Vladimir Putin posted:

He quit his desk job in the Navy to enlist and fight in the Spanish American war. Dude backed is talk.

This is not as commendable as you think. In fact, a lot of political hopefuls -lawyers and clerks and the like- all did the same thing, not to be tough or out of patriotism, because the people they were trying to replace in Government were all Civil War vets, and they saw it as essential to a successful career in politics. So of course, they hosed it all up.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread